Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/4/2018 7:53:31 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share some photos of the Philippine Elisco "Baby Armalite" M-16 Rifle.  This is the shorter version of the standard M-16 rifle.  I'm assuming an M-4?
I hope you all enjoy the photos!  

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Receivers look undercoated.
No FH washer?

Where can I get one?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a Diamaco stamp on the bolt carrier? Interesting that it doesn't have M4 feedramps too, but depending on when it was made that would be correct. Also it looks like its wet. Is that the finish or is it oiled up for the photos?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat rarity.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No FH washer?

Where can I get one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No FH washer?

Where can I get one?
Yeah, I'm guessing the receiver was refinished.  However, I have seen some new rifles with this finish.  No crush washer...I noticed that too.  Would that have any adverse effect?

Quoted:
Is that a Diamaco stamp on the bolt carrier? Interesting that it doesn't have M4 feedramps too, but depending on when it was made that would be correct. Also it looks like its wet. Is that the finish or is it oiled up for the photos?
Sorry, I am ignorant when it comes to the AR-15/M-16 details.  The previous owner stated it was produced in the '80s.  
Yes, the rifle is oiled up.  It needed deep cleaning and some surface rust removal.  The forward assist looks bad, and will be replacing that soon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Super cool. Not an M4. It differs in several details. It is closer to the earlier Commando models. The overall look reminds me of the Isreali 'Menusar' carbines, which they built by chopping down gifted US built M16A1's, and which featured replacement parts from the A2 and later generations. Thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Super cool. Not an M4. It differs in several details. It is closer to the earlier Commando models. The overall look reminds me of the Isreali 'Menusar' carbines, which they built by chopping down gifted US built M16A1's, and which featured replacement parts from the A2 and later generations. Thanks for the pictures. Is this a civilian legal gun in the PI?
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification.  I appreciate that.
Yes, this is civilian legal in the Philippines.  It was licensed during one of the amnesties.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
By any chance, can someone tell me if the current production of forward assists would fit as a replacement?
I understand that the retro M16s may have a larger size.

Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The BCG is not Diemaco it has what looks to be the letter "P" on it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Either will work fine.

And you need to replace that lock washer with another lock washer or a crush washer.
View Quote
Great!  Thank you!
I will replace with a new forward assist, as well as add a crush washer.  
Appreciate your advice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great!  Thank you!
I will replace with a new forward assist, as well as add a crush washer.  
Appreciate your advice.
View Quote
You also need A1 pistol grip without the nub in the middle. Much more comfortable and what would be on American rifles
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]
That’s some serious fit and finish.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It is ugly. I wonder how well it runs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok that thing is seriously cool
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice carbine.  Totes jelly...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Part of my Jungle tour a few yrs ago
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Barrel profile is a little odd. What’s the length?  Appears to be under 14.5”

I wouldn’t worry about a crush washer. Timing actually looks pretty good for a right handed person as per Col Lutz’s original idea.

Cool mutt. I’d leave it as is, or I’d find a CAR stock for it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks!  Yeah, it looks as though it's been refinished...for a ~40 year old rifle.  Either way, I'm happy with it.

Quoted:
Ok that thing is seriously cool
It really is.  Thanks.

Quoted:
Nice carbine.  Totes jelly...
Thanks.  I wanted one for many years.  Finally had the opportunity to own one in my arsenal.  :)
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice!  Police officers and security guards there are (generally) very friendly when it comes to photo ops with their firearms.  Glad to see you were able to experience that.  :)

Quoted:
Barrel profile is a little odd. What’s the length?  Appears to be under 14.5”

I wouldn’t worry about a crush washer. Timing actually looks pretty good for a right handed person as per Col Lutz’s original idea.

Cool mutt. I’d leave it as is, or I’d find a CAR stock for it.
View Quote
I crudely measured the barrel.  It was about 16".  This included the flash hider.  So, I'm guess the barrel is 14.5".  I didn't have the tools to actually remove the barrel, though.

Quoted:

It will come loose without it.  The washer is for more than timing.
View Quote
I haven't noticed the flash hider getting loose.  But I definitely want it done the right way.  
Not sure if the previous owner used something like Loctite to fix the flash hider to the barrel.  If so, any idea how to safely remove the flash hider and clean/prepare the threads on the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It will come loose without it.  The washer is for more than timing.
View Quote
Perhaps, but peel washers were used for decades, purely for timing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top