Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2014 12:30:04 PM EDT
Perhaps my google fu is too weak to find it.

I got this idea because I've been looking for an accurate, 223 bolt action that is easy to shoot offhand, has pretty good accuracy (looking for .75 moa, better if I can have it).

I can work on an AR.  I can do anything with an AR that doesn't require a lathe or a mill.  Accurizing an AR simply means fitting a good barrel (if you don't already have one) and using a free float handguard.  This is easy to do.  The downside of a semi, however, is that I can't neck size my spent cases.  They tend to not feed in semis.

Bolt actions, I can't work on as much.  I can rebarrel something like a Savage, but peak accuracy in a bolt gun requires bedding the stock.  This outside what I'm able to do.  One of the advantages of the AR platform is that you avoid all the crazy stock bedding dog crap.  You don't have to have it perfect because there's not stock to bed at all in an AR.  But, as mentioned above, with an AR you lose the ability to neck size your ammo.

I think the solution here is obvious.  What I need is a bolt action 223 / 5.56 upper.  No BS trying to get the stock bedded perfectly, and the ability to neck size my reloads, all on a standardized platform with more accessory support than any other platform ever.  I figure the best design would be an upper that doesn't use feed ramps and has the chamber a little further forward than on a regular semi auto upper to facilitate traditional push feeding as is done in the majority of bolt guns.  Not sure if neck sized ammo would fit well in an AR magazine, might have to think about a single stack mag if not.  It would provide all the advantages of the AR platform, the advantages of a good bolt action, and none of the disadvantages.

My searching has not turned up anything, and wanted to see if anyone here knows if such a thing is even made.

One of these days, if I win the freaking lottery or something, I'm going to get some proper machine tools and some training so I can make some of these ideas happen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Feed the rounds yourself - remove the gas tube or put the gas block on backwards. Then you can always revert back to a semi auto upper if you'd like.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I did.

Has some different bits on it now, but it has no gas system.  I put a BCM ambi CH on it, since I'll be crankin' on that more than a semi auto.  It has a 1:8 24" barrel.  (And just for the record, that's one of those 10/30 mags from Stag.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2mhg1g6.jpg

Has some different bits on it now, but it has no gas system.  I put a BCM ambi CH on it, since I'll be crankin' on that more than a semi auto.  It has a 1:8 24" barrel.  (And just for the record, that's one of those 10/30 mags from Stag.)
View Quote

I had considered doing just that.  Shouldn't be hard, just get a barrel that's not drilled for a gas port but does have a barrel extension.  I still suspect it wouldn't feed neck sized reloads, however (not to mention the risk of out of battery discharges).  The feeding mechanism is unchanged, even if it's manually operated.

Out of curiosity though, how is the accuracy on that?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Google POF USA ReVolt.  There ya go.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Tubb 2000.  Highly specialized rig but they do exist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Google POF USA ReVolt.  There ya go.

View Quote

Honestly I don't really see how that is any different than what doppleganger did, and a lot more expensive to boot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tubb 2000.  Highly specialized rig but they do exist.
View Quote

That was my first thought, as well.
And the Safety Harbor SHTF upper, until I read the rest of the post.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Tubb 2000 Match Rifle

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Right side handle on a side charger upper with no gas system would be best. More expensive but faster than the normal upper and charging handle method. As a plus you wouldn't have to unshoulder the rifle to reload the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
It really is not that difficult to bed most bolt action rifles, it is a skill that you can learn pretty much by watching a bunch of instructional videos and once you understand the concept/ideas it is not so scary.

I started on a few old rifles, Savage .270 and a .223 I picked up for less than $200 a piece. I then worked up the courage to do many more rifles after that both for myself and friends and family. Unless you majorly screw up the inletting somehow, or forget the release agent, it really is hard to mess up to were it cant be fixed easily or the epoxy ground out and rebedded.

Also for the price of an entry level AR, you can have a Savage with a free floating barrel, and a metal bedding block insert stock "Accu-Stock", or a similar Remington 700 or Ruger "Power-Bedding". OR if you want to spend a little more, you can get a stock/chassis that lets you put an AR free float tube on Bolt actions such as the Rem 700 or Savage.

If you insist on a manually operated AR, there are different styles of Pump Action AR's like the Troy PAR, as well as a Lever Action AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top