Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2010 12:24:22 PM EDT
I needed to replace a couple springs and parts on an AR so i looked around for the most complete "repair" kit i could find.  The DPMS kit has 36 parts and Cheaper than Dirt has the best price by quite a bit...$29.97  Most places are $59 for the same kit.  Just thought id post this as a reminder...doesnt do you much good to have a $1000 rifle if you have a $1 spring break and cant replace it. =)
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
you can get a whole lower parts kit for $45 or $50 these days.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Try CMMG. They have a few different kits.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
. The DPMS kit has 36 parts and Cheaper than Dirt has the best price by quite a bit...$29.97  Most places are $59 for the same kit.  Just thought id post this as a reminder...doesnt do you much good to have a $1000 rifle if you have a $1 spring break and cant replace it. =)

Doesn't do you alot of good when your cheap replacement spring breaks a couple hundred rounds later either.

Get a quality LPK and be done with it.

Although it IS CTD - the kit itself appears to be DPMS (less trigger group, pistol grip, etc).   So unless DPMS LPKs are falling apart and jamming up a rifle every other week here on ARFCOM - and I haven't seen one of those threads in a while - I am not sure how effective it would be to pay double for a backup kit.  

In otherwords, even though CTD is selling it, aren't most of the LPKs on the market coming out of 2 or 3 shops and simply being relabeled?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know why i would get a LPK for parts replacement in an AR, it has Zero percent of anything i would need in the field!

ETA DPMS has alot of the same manufacturers for springs and parts as everyone else! (Actual real life first hand experience, I know that is not a big deal at arf com but it is FACT.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try CMMG. They have a few different kits.

Ya. I like their AR Survival Kit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
You could buy this for a parts kit link

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
The only part that I've seen break on the lower receiver (when the parts in the lower receiver are of milspec quality) is the hammer spring.  And that's not even that common.  A hammer spring should last thousands of rounds.

The bolt is the main part that I would want to have spares of.  Maybe another bolt carrier too.  But mainly the bolt.  A spare extractor or two might be a good idea as well.  I just have a couple spare rifles.  That solves that problem!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thats pretty cool

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/169396_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats pretty cool

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/169396_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg

But if you look close you will see they send an auto sear, a full auto trigger, and an auto safety.
According to the pick
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a spare complete bolt carrier or at least a complete bolt.  That is your most likely wear item that will fail in an AR.  Extractor or extractor springs are key.  FCG parts are important too.  I have seen several of the RRA 2-stage triggers snap in carbine classes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top