Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2011 7:56:57 AM EDT
How did Indians, etc, cut trees and logs w/out modern metallurgy tools?

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]
flint-knapped tools can be very sharp...

otherwise they used a Herring
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Used other tools? Like some dugout canoes were dugout with fire.

And stone tools were OK, but you can see why metal tools were popular trade goods.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]

American Indians typically used fire to fell a tree, then used stone tools to cut limbs for poles and other uses.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The best way to cut down a tree is with a shrubbery.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The method that was described to me involved packing a ring of mud around the trunk of the tree some height off the ground (I presume where the trunk becomes straight).  A fire was built around the base of the tree, and stone-headed axes were used to break away the charred wood.  I'd guess this would be done in several steps.

My second vote would be for the herring.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best way to cut down a tree is with a shrubbery.

I used to use a rabbit with big nasty teeth.   Now I just count to 5 and lobbest a holy hand grenade toward thy tree.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The method that was described to me involved packing a ring of mud around the trunk of the tree some height off the ground (I presume where the trunk becomes straight).  A fire was built around the base of the tree, and stone-headed axes were used to break away the charred wood.  I'd guess this would be done in several steps.

My second vote would be for the herring.

That's the way I understood it to be done.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Trained, pet beavers...duh.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How much building did they do with sawn lumber?

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much building did they do with sawn lumber?

Around here they built huge palisaded "castles".  Not really "sawn" lumber but they required a lot of trees.

A description of the semi-abandoned Pigwacket village made in 1703 by an English scouting party led by Major Winthrop Hilton states: "When we came to the fort, we found about an acre of ground, taken in with timber [palisaded], set in the ground in a circular form with ports [gates], and about one hundred wigwams therein; but had been deserted about six weekes, as we judged by the opening of their barnes [storage pits] where their corn was lodged."  The bark-covered wigwams or longhouses in this view (excepting "A") are typical of Abenaki dwellings used in this region.  By tradition, "Pigwacket" is said to mean "at the cleared place."
http://www.boudillion.com/nashobahill/indianfort.htm

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Depending on what tribe they were, few of them felled large trees. Smaller trees (less than 4") and sappings were more commonly used- especially by roving tribes.
The others? Ingenuity and lots of time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
They used the dork kid with the buck teeth.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Trained, pet beavers...duh.

I would like a trained pet beaver,

I would like to pet a trained beaver,

I would like a beaver, of any description, well, almost any beaver.

ETA

Sorry, thought this was GD.

Wrong forum, didn't mean to be a smartass!!

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Slightly off topic, but for a good in-depth explanation of TJ's post above, read Guns, Germs, ans Steel by Jared Diamond.  It provides a broad overview of human development and conquest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top