Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2012 9:50:25 AM EDT
My parents farm is being considered for a 50 acre solar farm  for the local power company.  Does anyone here have any experience with the pro's and con's of this kind of arrangement?

They have offered to either buy or lease the land.  Other than that not alot of details yet.  My parents are meeting with them friday to discuss it further.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Boro
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My parents farm is being considered for a 50 acre solar farm  for the local power company.  Does anyone here have any experience with the pro's and con's of this kind of arrangement?

They have offered to either buy or lease the land.  Other than that not alot of details yet.  My parents are meeting with them friday to discuss it further.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Boro

They otta take the enviroweeniwacko libtards $$$ straight to the bank.

Suggest to them they negotiate hard and don't fall for any Obama crew BS like they otta do it for little $$$ to save the Earth from Climate Change Nonsense.

Seems like the worst is they can 'harvest'     a bunch of panels someday when these 'solar farms' are found to be highly inefficient and a waste of taxpayer $$$ to benefit Friends of the Left.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
20 year lease with option to extend and a guarantee to return the land to its original state at the end of the lease.  Utility buys bond/escrows 1000% of total lease value to pay for cleanup and any mediation/arbitration/court costs involved if abandoned.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesnt sound like you could possibly lose. DO It.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]

They should get legal representation NOW.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice.  Got a lot to do before friday.  Hopefully my parents can get everything that has been suggested and maybe more!

Definitely recommending that they also get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd also say that you get free power thrown in there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dang, if they will do that there won't be anything left for the grid...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Great idea!
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
As a person who builds these things, I can tell you thats going to be in the area of 5 Mega-watts if its a stationary (non tracking) system. Tracking systems could improve productivity up to 100%, but will also just about double the cost.

The money spent will be in the multi-millions, so don't take any low-ball bullshit.

There is no real serious detriment to the environment, assuming a deer doesn't try eating a wire. The land will be essentially off limits as it is now a power plant. So don't let them go telling you you can still use the land like its not there or something.

The area the installation takes place in will be temporarily "destroyed" on account of equipment driving over it dozens of times, trenches being dug for conduit runs, pile driving poles into the ground or concrete. Its all dependent on the racking system used, and there are hundreds of different options.

If it were me, I would lease the land. And "free" electricity would be cool.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
One thing I would make sure of, is that my pay check had nothing to do with any government tax breaks or benny's or ANY future regulations that could affect to the power company.

The gov can cut those incentives at anytime, or add to the already mountains of rules and regs, and then what happens to your parents pay check?

I would also make sure that in the event something happens to them, that everything transfers to the new owner. I don't know about you, but my crystal ball is still not working to well.

I would also have it addressed in there about selling the property and new owners. I mean what happens if you had someone offer you a sweet price that is actually a life changing offer that you could use to buy a new place debt free or even start that dream business as well. Just keep YOUR options open.

Basically like other have said, get a lawyer. Write down EVERYTHING you can think of and talk to a lawyer about your concerns. All these things are not going to change what the power company wants to do or their bottom line, but it will protect you in any and all future events.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a monetary inflation clause? I am not sure how you would work it, but it might be something to consider.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How about a monetary inflation clause? I am not sure how you would work it, but it might be something to consider.

Probably something like this:

"In addition, if during the initial term or any renewal term there is an increase in the Producer Price Index over the Producer Price Index reported for the month in which you signed your Order, we may increase your fees by the same percentage as the increase in the Producer Price Index; provided that we may not increase your fees pursuant to this sentence more often than once per twelve months, and we must give you at least thirty days advance written notice of the increase. The "Producer Price Index" means the Producer Price Index for Finished Goods, WPUSOP3000, not seasonally adjusted, and first published as "preliminary" data by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics in its PPI Detailed Report or successor publication. For historical information on the Producer Price Index, you may visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics website. (Example: if the Producer Price Index for the month in which you sign the Order is 186, and then increases in a subsequent month during the term of the Order to 195, we may increase your fees by up to 4.8%)."
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Once again thanks to everyone for the great advice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not build your OWN solar farm?
USA made HELIOS modules are down around $1.25 per watt...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is going to be  around a $15,000,000 project best that we can figure. That is well beyond anything that they could do.

We went and looked at a similiar setup about 50 miles away yesterday that is a private corporation, we were really impressed by the setup.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Basically like other have said, get a lawyer.

And then include the lawyer's fees in the contract.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Even if they don't get the deal I would consider solar just because they must have some nice sunshine in order to be considered.

These days I would probably work out a deal to sell outright if the price was right because there is a fair bit of property for sale at decent prices if you have the cash to close on the deal.

I also get annoyed with "property" that is mine but I can't use it and I have to let others come in and work on stuff and check on stuff periodically.

The lawyer thing would be my first step and I guess if this thing could have its own entry road and security fencing that they maintain I could handle having it there if it pays me enough.

I would seriously consider the news of the recent solar panel companies going bankrupt though and all the government subsidies this thing is probably relying on.

That is why I would want my money in an up front chunk but I could see still working the lease as well if the property means something to your family or is just an awesome property.

If I go lease a car I have to put so much down.  

I personally could live with them leaving the stuff there once the lease is up.  Just the amount of copper and scrap would be awesome but I personally think it would still put out more than enough power for little ol me long after their math says the panels are done.

Put a lot of thought into people trying to steal the copper or just having all the construction going on for x number of months.

I would either work a ton of overtime or take a vacation for part of it.  I hate people and noise.

At least these things will be quiet once done.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Put a lot of thought into people trying to steal the copper

Yep - If it's a constant invitation for thieves to break into your property, that's not good.

And it's not just the copper - Stolen solar panels would also go for big bucks on ebay or Craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is going to be  around a $15,000,000 project best that we can figure. That is well beyond anything that they could do.

We went and looked at a similiar setup about 50 miles away yesterday that is a private corporation, we were really impressed by the setup.

Not all at once.
Build in stages.
Plan for expansion, once the revenue is streaming in, invest in more PV.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Wait a minute.

Your property is being considered BY the local utility or FOR the local utility?

Massive difference.

The first scenario implies that there is something inherently advantageous to the utility with regard to your property, including perhaps proximity to other infrastructure. However, this is rarely the case. Utilities almost never develop these projects on their own on land they don't already own or control.

The second implies that you're talking to a third-party developer. If that's the case, buyer beware. There are some established folks who are very good at this...and there are a lot of shysters (or just get-rich-quickers) who have little idea what they're really doing and making ridiculous claims.

Be somewhat skeptical of any developer. Ask about prior experience and in-service projects.

Subscribed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Boro,
As someone who deals with mineral management situations daily, (oil/natural gas/coal), be cautious and realistic.  Remember you are negotiating with a power company, if you become too much of an @$$ they can and will use their right of Eminent domain.

Eminent domain, an action of the state to seize a citizen's private property, expropriate property, or seize a citizen's rights in property with due monetary compensation, but without the owner's consent. The property is taken either for government use or by delegation to third parties who will devote it to public or civic use or, in some cases, economic development. The most common uses of property taken by eminent domain are for public utilities, highways, and railroads.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all at once.
Build in stages.

Do you actually think, in the absence of corporate welfare, that a solar farm can make money?  

The only reason that the private corporation is in it is the subsidies.  If you are going to "bootstrap" a successful "solar farm" you are imagining things...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all at once.
Build in stages.

Do you actually think, in the absence of corporate welfare, that a solar farm can make money?  

The only reason that the private corporation is in it is the subsidies.  If you are going to "bootstrap" a successful "solar farm" you are imagining things...

Precisely.

Solar farms are a mechanism [of many] to take taxpayer money and transfer it to the connected.

And I don't mean 'electrically connected'!

Folks need to get a clue.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wait a minute.

Your property is being considered BY the local utility or FOR the local utility?

Massive difference.

The first scenario implies that there is something inherently advantageous to the utility with regard to your property, including perhaps proximity to other infrastructure. However, this is rarely the case. Utilities almost never develop these projects on their own on land they don't already own or control.

The second implies that you're talking to a third-party developer. If that's the case, buyer beware. There are some established folks who are very good at this...and there are a lot of shysters (or just get-rich-quickers) who have little idea what they're really doing and making ridiculous claims.

Be somewhat skeptical of any developer. Ask about prior experience and in-service projects.

Subscribed.

After finally meeting face to face with the negotioator today my parents found out that the negotioator is a third party developer that is building these solar farms FOR the local utilities.  HUGE RED FLAG went up today.  My fathers first reaction after the meeting was that he felt like he was being conned, his gut instincts are usually correct.  The proposal is going to the lawyers Monday to be reviewed.   All the warm and fuzzy feelings are now gone.

I would like to thank everyone that has given advice.  I sincerely appreciate each of you taking the time to post your thought and experiences on the subject.  Hopefully it has diverted a possible shyster from taking what my parents have spent a lifetime aquiring.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Ride by the Apple computer solar farm on HWY 321 in Maiden NC and take a look at that.  I live about 5 minutes from it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They should get legal representation NOW.  

Find a real estate attorney or one that deals with tower leases or bill board leases.

Grove
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top