Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2012 11:45:32 AM EDT
Have been carrying a handgun for many years now both work related and not. Have various shoulder holsters for various guns, but have never used them much; always preferred it on my hip. Also understand a shoulder holster is not the best way to carry a handgun, but was wondering if this might be a good way to carry a handgun in situations like are discussed here. Thoughts being that just about no matter what, a person would want to have at least his pistol with him at ALL times and might not have a belt or trousers or other gear on him with a pistol and holster. What really started this train of thought was a pic I remember of my grandfather in the south pacific with a 1911 in an M3 holster. It was a good (not optimal) way to make sure a fella always had at least his pistol with him. How about nowadays? Thinking of a Glock in a Galco rig.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Frankly, I'd just as soon go with a pancake-style holster.  My Bianchi works just fine without a belt.  So do a lot of IWB clips, for that matter.  The only time I found a shoulder holster useful was when I just *had* to go rabbit hunting when we were suffering from some arctic winter a few years back.  It was reassuring to know that didn't have to unzip the parka very far if I needed something heavier-hitting than the .22 rifle I was toting at the time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Great for cops on TV, perhaps a motorcycle rider under leather gear or outdoorsman cross-draw across the chest for a big revolver...That's it.

You always need a garment to cover it. It needs to fit just so and you need the right body type for it to conceal properly. You muzzle sweep everyone all the time if it's the horizontal type when drawing or holstering your weapon.

Way better choices for everyday wear.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoulder holsters are great when traveling in a vehicle since they give easy access to the gun. Note that during Katrina  there was a lot of automotive movement. They're also useful in preventing that 2lb hunk of steel from making  the "pants on the ground" fashion statement.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If clothing is suitable for IWB, I MUCH prefer the gun on my waist. Easier/safer draw.

If you're a poor schmuck like me that wears a suit often, a shoulder holster has its place.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If clothing is suitable for IWB, I MUCH prefer the gun on my waist. Easier/safer draw.

If you're a poor schmuck like me that wears a suit often, a shoulder holster has its place.

I don't know about that.  I wear a suit, too and IWB seems to work great!
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember Fish on Barney Miller? Old man, always going to the bathroom? Shoulder holster, pants easy to drop, no snatch the gun from the next stall.

Bond. James Bond. Worst choice for a spy.

Sonny Crocket. Dumb Blond.

If it works for you, why not? I bought a pair of CCW Breakaway pants. Sometimes I use a IWB holster.

Whatever, don't ask for approval on GD. or even SF
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about that.  I wear a suit, too and IWB seems to work great!

It simply doesn't work as well for me. I have a crossbreed supertuck for a PPS. Suit pants, dress belt with a fitted shirt tucked in.
I also neglected to mention that I am in court often and sliding out of a should rig is easier.
The shoulder holster also accommodates a G22 and 2 spare mags. Pros & Cons to everything I guess.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a shoulder holster for a Beretta 92 for about a year.  Worked great for those time a belt holster would not be practical, like when the pants worn do not have belt loops.  If you wear one, I strongly suggest one with an off-side magazine pouch to balance the weight better.

For purposes stateside, perhaps next to the bed to go along with a nightstand gun would be a prime example of how one would be better than a belt holster.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used shoulder holsters, but not for CCW.  My experience has been with the "tanker" style in the  military, and bandoleero style with large handguns for hunting.  Where concealment isn't an issue, they work great.  The few times I've tried some sort of rig for CCW, I found it uncomfortable.  But, that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you mean a shoulder holster to toss in your BOB? That way if you were out at the beach and th SHTF you would at least have some way to carry your pistol when you were wearing a swimsuit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]

As mentioned, they have their advantages and disadvantages.  You just need to think it through and see if it matches your likely scanarios.

IMO it can't hurt to have one on-hand.

I do keep (and periodically carry with) a Galco Miami Classic.  I have carried a B92 Compact, Sig 228 and Sig 239 with it.

One thing I like is you can comfortably carry the gun and three full magazines without anything on your belt.  Makes movement, sitting, driving etc very comfortable.  

You have to practice with it and you will not win any speed records with it, that's for sure.  Be EXTRA careful when drawing from it as you will sweep your non-gun arm with the muzzle when you draw.

Look for a used one. They show up in great shape from time to time.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you mean a shoulder holster to toss in your BOB? That way if you were out at the beach and th SHTF you would at least have some way to carry your pistol when you were wearing a swimsuit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Or you can include a pair of pants and a belt.  
I will agree that strong-side IWB isn't generally ideal for sitting/driving applications.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#13]
When I go snowmobiling I wear a glock 23 in a Galco shoulder rig with two mags on the opposite side. It is very comfortable and well balanced. Any other time it is in a Crossbreed Supertuck on my waist. I dont open carry or wear jackets (suit style) ever. So that is really the only time it works for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Its hard not to sweep others when drawing from a shoulder holster.  Depending on what shoulder holster, the muzzle is covering something or someone.  Lots of Police depts don't allow shoulder holsters because of the above.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As mentioned, they have their advantages and disadvantages.  You just need to think it through and see if it matches your likely scanarios.

IMO it can't hurt to have one on-hand.

I do keep (and periodically carry with) a Galco Miami Classic.  I have carried a B92 Compact, Sig 228 and Sig 239 with it.

One thing I like is you can comfortably carry the gun and three full magazines without anything on your belt.  Makes movement, sitting, driving etc very comfortable.  

You have to practice with it and you will not win any speed records with it, that's for sure.  Be EXTRA careful when drawing from it as you will sweep your non-gun arm with the muzzle when you draw.

Look for a used one. They show up in great shape from time to time.

This is the one to buy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've tried them, but I have the wrong body type.  It was always rubbing me the wrong way.  But what works for one (or doesn't work) will not always work for all.  Like anything you are planning to use daily, it is best to get several different types and try them out.  Ask around amongst your friends and range buddies (you would be surprised what people have hanging in their closets)  to see what they have.  Borrow any you can and give them a spin.  I put down fat bank on the model I bought only to give it away when I found I didn't like it.  Will never make that mistake again (I was a lot younger then).

stasiman
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I started wearing these when they were still made by Jackass the Galco Miami Classic is the way to go. When I got transferred to non-uniform and for some of the times in the military with a 1911A1.  Can’t run very well with one on as they beat your ribs up but very good for vehicles and suits.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the idea of having more then one option, so I say if it works for your build and situation then go for it.

I primary wear my off duty/daily carry on the belt in a three slot G&G. During a shtf type of event I do like the idea of having the option to also put on a shoulder rig with a BUG and extra mags or just extra mags on both sides (keeps the extra weight off my hips).

I do know that drawing from a shoulder rig while in a vehicle is a whole lot easier and quicker for me then drawing from the hip. So is accessing the extra mags.

Then again I'm kind of paranoid .

BT

Edited....
I tried a few different rigs from friends before hand and found out real quick that I didn't like the crossover in the back. I tried out Blackhawk's shoulder rig and really love the wider straps and how the weight is carried across the top of my shoulders. It may not be pretty or made of leather but it is comfortable and has served me well. I carry my G21 in this rig for bow season.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Wore a shoulder rig for a gig as a limo driver. October was a good time to throw it on and cover it with leather jacket. Great plan until the crew hit the strip club. I was commited to the cover garment and buildings with naked women are kept exceedingly warm. Great for driving, bad for lap dances.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
They are damn nice for carrying a gun when you do physical work, particularly a large gun.  I used one routinely to carry a S&M 29 in at the farm, while crusing timber,etc.  Also used one during Katrina, where I was doing a lot of physical work.  And I will say a shoulder holster is compatable with a climbing harness, an IWB is not.  It would be my go to holster at home post SHTF.

I suspect they are the easiest to retain a handgun (other than retention holsters).  I've had a cop put his hand on my IWB glock (long story), there is no way he could do it with a vertical shoulder holster unless I let him.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I have Galco Miami Classics for a G17 & 1911 they work well but like anything choose the right tool for the job
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I've tried multiple horizontal shoulder rigs and not a single one of them was comfortable.  The slide riding perpendicular to my arm bone caused continuous pain.

Vertical holsters, on the other hand.  Wore one for quite awhile when I was younger and in the car or a truck ten to fifteen hours a day.  Wore it under denim shirts as well as jackets.  Much easier to get at the pistol than in a waistband holster.  

Beware, though, I haven't found ANY that don't start hurting the shoulders and the back of the neck after six or eight hours of wear.  Whereas, I can wear my IWB for eighteen or twenty hours without discomfort.

The draw is more fiddly than a waistband draw, and does require more practice.  There is no way to use a horizontal carry without flagging half the earth, so booger hook control is paramount.

Not for everybody every day, but not the automatic fail that some would claim.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I still have a Galco Miami Classic I carried a USP Full and compact .45 in. Worked great wearing just a Hawaiian shirt. I still have another Galco but I can't use my FNP45 Tac in it. But I used to carry the HK/Galco and a G27 in an SOB rig. I enjoy a good shoulder rig and drawing is great while seated in a car.

I like options.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do it all the time.  Its a great way to carry a handgun if you are also carrying a rifle especially a slinged rifle.  It also works with certain packs.  Another application is carrying two handguns, one on the hip for say defense and the other small game hunting etc.  

There's just times having something on that right hip is an inconvenience and or, your gun is so covered up its very slow to pull.  

Last but not least is a good use of a shoulder holster is in carrying handcannons, like the .44 mag which then can be concealed all Dirty Harry like under a jacket or sports coat.  Not too many men carry their billfolds there so that needs to be considered in your self defense plans.  What I can tell you though is a fast grab across your chest is no slower than a two move raise the shirt then draw from the hip.  We can't all wear loose Hawaian shirts all the time.

Tj

Really, Hawaiian shirts are part of my dress code, except at work.

Quoted:
I've tried multiple horizontal shoulder rigs and not a single one of them was comfortable.  The slide riding perpendicular to my arm bone caused continuous pain.

Vertical holsters, on the other hand.  Wore one for quite awhile when I was younger and in the car or a truck ten to fifteen hours a day.  Wore it under denim shirts as well as jackets.  Much easier to get at the pistol than in a waistband holster.  

Beware, though, I haven't found ANY that don't start hurting the shoulders and the back of the neck after six or eight hours of wear.  Whereas, I can wear my IWB for eighteen or twenty hours without discomfort.

The draw is more fiddly than a waistband draw, and does require more practice.  There is no way to use a horizontal carry without flagging half the earth, so booger hook control is paramount.

Not for everybody every day, but not the automatic fail that some would claim.

Was one of these a Miami Classic?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I've carried my various 1911s in shoulder rigs, and like Man-in-Black was saying, it does make my shoulders sore after a few hours. Nowadays my edc is a kahr mk9, in a minituck. Sweet setup for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No, but unless it possesses some magical properties that counteract having a piece of steel pressing into my arm bone crossways, I'm not sure how it would be any less painful.  I suspect it has something to do with my build.  With my arms relaxed, there's very little room between them and my upper ribs.

I'd be happy to try one out if anybody has one they're not using, but the b$te on a Miami Classic is a little too sharp for an experiment that shows little hope of success.

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but unless it possesses some magical properties that counteract having a piece of steel pressing into my arm bone crossways, I'm not sure how it would be any less painful.  I suspect it has something to do with my build.  With my arms relaxed, there's very little room between them and my upper ribs.

I'd be happy to try one out if anybody has one they're not using, but the b$te on a Miami Classic is a little too sharp for an experiment that shows little hope of success.

A MC will not help you there.  It seems that those (including myself) who like shoulder rigs, like these best of all.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I use a shoulder to carry my XD.45 when I'm wearing full leathers while riding my sportbike. Lifting the jacket to draw is next to impossible, so an unzip and reach in is a decent second option.

I also find the shoulder holster to be a better choice if I'm wearing a fitted suit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I've never cared for them in general but they have a place. The only use I've had was when I rode my motorcycle. Normally I don't wear enough cover garment for a shoulder holster and haven't found them particularly comfortable either. That said, for some people they work for what they do and wear.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I knew a School Resource Officer that used to wear a suit and he carried a brace of G17's with the extended 30+ rd mags in a horizontal Miami Classic Galco. When I asked him about reloads, he asked me "Why? I have 60 some rounds..." Then I explained that most malfunctions were usually magazine-related. He started carrying a couple of standard reloads.

But it's a cool idea and you can get away with the extended mags in a shoulder rig. I've done it with my G21, Miami Classic and the 26 round .45 mags. Go big or stay home!

I've worn my Galco Jackass and Miami Classic 18 hours with little discomfort many times. My problem was that I wore out the linings of the jackets due to the 3M Grip Tape I use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was overseas the AF guys liked to carry using shoulder holsters. I fucking hated getting flagged by those guys,... Any weapons containment system that has someone flag someone else every time they move is a fail in my book.

That, and it does nothing at all to improve the draw. Probably hinders it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#34]
When hiking/camping on an eastern mountain chain, I always carried a TZ75 in a canvas .45 shoulder holster - with my backpack. Never a problem - people we saw never commented on it - somewhat sloppy fit but that is what was available for me those years ago - I also have a Bianchi SH for a .38 that I like -  but now, back in Texas - shoulder holsters are for cool winter days only. I do like the idea of having a good one for SHTF to throw on vs. grabbing pants and adding gear to that system...
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#35]
They are a very comfortable way to carry a heavy handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top