Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2013 5:17:20 PM EDT
I ended up getting a great deal on an older pop-up camper. I spend so much time out with the kids hunting, fishing, prospecting and various other outdoor stuff that I got tired of dragging a tent and supplies everywhere.

So now that I have it I am trying to make sure its equipped for most needs.
Generator, spare tires, back up set of wheel bearings. Extra propane for stove, and water storage. The good thing is I have most of this already. Including a gas water pump that will actually fit to pump creek or pond water as needed. I may also add a 12volt battery and solar panel set up as I have those components already in my gear.

Its packed with everything but food, so I can throw a few boxes and a cooler in the back and head out.

Anyone think of equipment I may be missing for a camper to stay useful?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about installing some berkey filters into a reservoir that is fed by pump from local water sources.

You said you had the pump setup, but you didn't mention a filter. What sort of design are you working with?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Load that thing down too heavy and you'll be using those spare tires and bearings.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Bathroom supplies?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Load that thing down too heavy and you'll be using those spare tires and bearings.

Yeah, I'd check the load level of the axle.  A lot of these come 'from the factory' with relatively marginal equipment.

That said - putting beefier stuff underneath is really easy.  But it's worth looking at.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
CO and Fire Alarm.  Fire Extinguisher.

Tools to fix things when they break.  

Over load springs.

Extra parts, bulbs, silicone, screws, nails, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I ended up getting a great deal on an older pop-up camper. I spend so much time out with the kids hunting, fishing, prospecting and various other outdoor stuff that I got tired of dragging a tent and supplies everywhere.
So now that I have it I am trying to make sure its equipped for most needs.
Generator, spare tires, back up set of wheel bearings. Extra propane for stove, and water storage. The good thing is I have most of this already. Including a gas water pump that will actually fit to pump creek or pond water as needed. I may also add a 12volt battery and solar panel set up as I have those components already in my gear.
Its packed with everything but food, so I can throw a few boxes and a cooler in the back and head out.
Anyone think of equipment I may be missing for a camper to stay useful?
Check out this guys channel. Engineer 775. Lots of great videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/engineer775?feature=watch
He will answer all your water and heating questions.
Need a stove that does not use propane for cooking. Biolite type stove. Charges cellphones and other accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodgas-Camp-Stove-XL/dp/B00161ES5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357449667&sr=8-2&keywords=biolite+camp+stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anFZdKDrBk&list=UUpDl4WPpgvvOeZFpw4ewycA&index=38
Need lots of fuel.
If the tow vehicle breaks down you are screwed.
Don't forget to know alternate routes with no traffic. You will have highwaymen who will kill first so be ready.
Have a plan on where to go
Skip the gas water pump. Fuel hog and attracts other people.
Make a pre-water filtration system for the trailer. It is very simple using simple filters one as a pre-filter and the other a charcoal type.You can buy them as a kit. Buy the ones with the long replaceable cartridges. These cartridges are the cheapest to buy. The pre filters will be used up fast.
This has all three. Pre/Charcoal/UV

You should always have one for any trailer. They have solar powered UV light to kill bacteria.
Have all your hoses portable. You should have end caps for the hose to keep dirt and critters out of them
If you dont have place to store your trailer try a storage company. the cost runs from $15-50 per month for outdoor storage. My friend stored a 36 ft. buy for $35 per month
Pics of trailer. You can always make storage spaces under the trailer.

Make sure that your trailer is completely sealed off from mice or rodents along pipes and wires. Don't let them move into the insulation
Get at least two good ceiling vents for the trailer with a screen and clear top for lighting. You need to keep the humidity down to prevent mold and mildew.

If your truck has a cap. Do the same there.
Here is a solar powered vent from radio shack and walmart. You only need one. Great when storing the trailer outdoor. You dont need to open any other vents
http://www.walmart.com/ip/15063167?adid=22222222227009358036&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13689967030&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

CO and Fire Alarm.  Fire Extinguisher.

Tools to fix things when they break.  

Over load springs.

Extra parts, bulbs, silicone, screws, nails, etc.

Good duct tape like gorilla tape for critical fixes and regular duct tape for everything else.

Cans of spray foam.

Install liquid tire seal in all tires.

Chainsaw.

Ax

Chains

If it has a microwave. Get rid of it. Use the space for more practical items

Lean out appliance that are power hogs.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bathroom supplies?

Best to get the bag type toilet seat. Use it outside of the trailer.

This will help you save on valuable water.

Tarps of different sizes. Dont take them out of their packages to save space.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:51:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about installing some berkey filters into a reservoir that is fed by pump from local water sources.

You said you had the pump setup, but you didn't mention a filter. What sort of design are you working with?

Right now its a 1" pump and is strong enough to pump my creek water up to my sprinklers for my yard in the summer. The camper has straight in and out for the sink. No bathroom in it so its more of a convienance for washing dishes and cleaning. Mainly non drinking needs. I can do an inline filter on the water line but may just stick with the portable filter I use now for drinking water. Here in Georgia we are never lacking for a clean creek or stream so its easier on our filters then some other areas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, that was one of my main concerns as well. With  pop up there isn't a lot of storage available once it is collapsed. And with alot ofbhe space being for lightweight bedding for me and three kids, and lightweight cooking equipment, I'm hoping this will offset some of the heavier items like the generator and gas.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for the chainsaw.  A couple of weeks ago we had some heavy winds come through, and trees and branches were down everywhere.  Luckily, I had an alternate route to work, but if this was a situation where I couldn't turn around, a chainsaw would've been handy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Replace the tires/wheels/hubs/axel so the tires/wheels are the same as the tow vehicle.  In most cases, that will give you more ground clearance.  It reduces the sizes and number of spare tires you will need, reduces the number/sizes of lug wrenches you will need.  And in most cases, truck tires are heavier duty than pop-up camper tires.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one, but its not the ultimate rig that I think a lot of you are dreaming about. Its only a 20-footer, but would provide shelter should something wicked come this way. It has no gadgets and gizmos, just a couple nice beds (which are actually good Sealy mattresses - not the shitty ones you get when you buy a camper), and a nicer kitchen.

I removed the toilet, which was a real crapper *grin* and replaced it with a loo bucket, in which we use the cat litter method. Works so much better IMHO. You never have to pay the disposal fees. We rarely take it out anyway. Its just there if we need it.

FWIW, I agree with the addition of better suspension and tires/wheels comments. I'd actually love to do that, but if I was going to have my day with it, I'd rather get an old class A Minnie Winnie and convert to 4x4.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a box truck that normally has a mattress or 2 in the back of it...it'll have to do if we ever needed it

Speed
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
In order to keep fuel economy high and keep maneuverability intact I recommend using a pop-up camper to give you shelter and basic living accomodations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In order to keep fuel economy high and keep maneuverability intact I recommend using a pop-up camper to give you shelter and basic living accomodations.

or this

http://uev.com.au/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top