BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

I wonder how realistic $50k in avg. retirement expenses is. I want to say my mom said her budget for her and my dad before he passed was around $4500/mo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Watched this video and it has some good points to consider.

If it’s too long, skip to 16:00. He makes important points about reducing expenses in retirement. Remember, if you make $100 you’ll still have to pay somewhere around 25% (ballpark) in taxes but if you SAVE $100 in expenses, that’s a true $100 extra in your pocket to either keep invested or spend on something you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRYiGa03gOY

I wonder how realistic $50k in avg. retirement expenses is. I want to say my mom said her budget for her and my dad before he passed was around $4500/mo.

My parent's budget before my Dad passed was $3200.
My mother's current budget is $2800.

Paid for, downsized home (waterfront on a lake), VERY low property taxes.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

https://i.postimg.cc/hv1Y0RLv/screenshot-796.jpg
View All Quotes
Watched this video and it has some good points to consider.

If it’s too long, skip to 16:00. He makes important points about reducing expenses in retirement. Remember, if you make $100 you’ll still have to pay somewhere around 25% (ballpark) in taxes but if you SAVE $100 in expenses, that’s a true $100 extra in your pocket to either keep invested or spend on something you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRYiGa03gOY

https://i.postimg.cc/hv1Y0RLv/screenshot-796.jpg

I'm making my monthly budget $6500, I can draw $9300 a month until I die but would prefer to increase my worth for a few more years. Yeah, not much but with no debt and no real need for much I doubt I'll come close to the $6500. Full Health care including dental and eye care is $100 a month.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NHGUNNER:
I have a co-worker who is planning on retiring next year. I really believe his retirement is based purely on the fact that he'll reach his full retirement age.

I don't see how he could remotely retire based on what he has told me. He basically has zero savings and while he brags about how much his house value has increased over the years, he has been refinancing and taking cash out right up until two years ago. Up until a couple of months ago he was talking about selling his house in retirement and buying something closer to the water (more $$$). He just recently decided not to do that. He said he'll get about $3k/month from SS, but considering he has a 28 years left on his mortgage, I don't see much money leftover for much else.

Just last week he told me he bought a $50k "shed" to start renting through Airbnb as he needed some additional income in retirement. I have a hard time believing he will break even considering it's a 10x20 room with a compost toilet.

I know it's none of my business, but I feel he needs to consider working past his full retirement age.
View Quote

I have several friends like that. Closing in on retirement age and they cannot retire. They all think they can but they confuse the terms ELIGIBLE TO RETIRE with CAN RETIRE. You may be eligible to retire but since you have too much outflow and not enough inflow, you cannot retire yet.

If you do the retirement calculations right before you retire, you are almost certainly in for a rude awakening when you find out you can’t retire.

My brother in law is in a similar boat. He would like to retire but he can’t because he has too much debt. They have refinanced their house, built in 2007, several times and pulled out money each time.

Was chatting with a friend the other night. He is 60yrs old and can’t retire yet. He told me when he left a past job he cashed out his 10.5 yr retirement fund. I don’t know exactly how much money but it was a decent chunk. He was in his mid 30s. He told me “I never should have done that”. Learn from him….don’t do that. He now has a couple very small pensions and he works two low stress jobs and his wife also still works. He told me he has to work till he’s 65 to be eligible for Medicare and a higher SS amount in order to be able to retire. He told me he would have been able to retire at 60 or 62 at the latest if he had just kept that retirement fund growing. And, he still won’t have a lot in retirement. They will get by but they won’t have much extra discretionary income.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#6]
Talked to an older lady today. Early 70s. Lives in an apartment. Her husband passed away less than a month ago. Both worked all their lives. He got around $1700 per month and she got $1600 per month based on their own earnings from SS. He also got a tiny pension. She can get an even smaller portion of his pension and she said that portion is $100 per month. But, she didn’t know you can’t collect both SS checks once one spouse dies. She can get the larger of the two checks but can’t get both. So after he died, she found out she’s going to have to live on $1800 per month for the rest of her life. She’s got health problems so getting a part time job is out of the question. Both her kids are dead and she has outlived all her siblings.

Learn from these people. Save something….anything….for the future. Invest and let it grow. Or not….decide wisely. It’s your future.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My plans didn't go so well starting out.  Law school gave me debt and practicing and working at small firms gave me nothing and raising family gave me a layer start.  Worked at a bank and they matched hardly anything. Worked another place and got laid off in 2008 before it vested and then out of work for two years, so a bad start.

I got a job in a specialized federal financial group with a 401k and the TSP, have that and a pension and SS and rolled what I had into the 401k.  Very aggressive with it and now at 55 have about $630k in it.  I will have to work till 64 which will get me 20 years and a higher pension.   I also get to take my health care, and I believe dental, and vision with me.

I am hoping at 64 I will have enough, have doubled my income since starting less than 12 years ago.  I have been very aggressive in seeking pay raises to boost income and 401k and pension.  I hope it will be enough.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:49:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#8]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
My plans didn't go so well starting out.  Law school gave me debt and practicing and working at small firms gave me nothing and raising family gave me a layer start.  Worked at a bank and they matched hardly anything. Worked another place and got laid off in 2008 before it vested and then out of work for two years, so a bad start.

I got a job in a specialized federal financial group with a 401k and the TSP, have that and a pension and SS and rolled what I had into the 401k.  Very aggressive with it and now at 55 have about $630k in it.  I will have to work till 64 which will get me 20 years and a higher pension.   I also get to take my health care, and I believe dental, and vision with me.

I am hoping at 64 I will have enough, have doubled my income since starting less than 12 years ago.  I have been very aggressive in seeking pay raises to boost income and 401k and pension.  I hope it will be enough.
View Quote

In the private sector, you’ll be lucky to be able to keep a job until age 64. In my company there is almost nobody over age 55. They all get forced out because they cannot keep up.

It is a dream of mine to be able to work until age 55. After that, I don’t have a chance of being hired at anywhere near my income.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]

My company-supplemented heathcare is $1327.34/mo. for me, the wife and two kids.
View Quote

Why in the world would you work there?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SharkStomper:

That was one of our big unknowns.  I have coverage through Tricare but I've kept the family healthcare plan at work to cover the wife.  I'm considering RE next year and she'll need coverage, so I went on the ACA website and looked at what unsubsidized coverage for her would be this year and was able to plug that into my retirement budget.  It gets better in the following years as our AGI will be less and her coverage will get a higher subsidy.
View Quote
Why isn't your wife on Tricare as well???
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:08:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SharkStomper] [#13]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Why isn't your wife on Tricare as well???
View Quote

I'm not a retiree.  I get it because I was in Desert Storm and AFAIK it only applies to myself.  Edit: Acksually, it's through the VA.  I guess that's different than tricare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:21:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#14]
Was talking to a guy at work the other day.  Mentioned retirement funding and he basically scoffed and indicated he would be just fine in retirement since his pension would take care of him and he would have plenty of money.  I asked him how much money he thought his pension would pay him.  He didn't know.  I asked him "What kind of retirement living standard are you planning for yourself?".  He told me he hadn't thought that far ahead.  I asked him "If you don't know what kind of retirement living standard you want to have, then how do you know you will have enough money?".  The look on his face was priceless!  He then walked off.  I hope it helps him to start thinking about the future but that's up to him.  I can do basic math.....it's pretty easy to do a rough calculation of what someone will get from their pension with our main plan.  I know roughly what he will be getting depending on when he leaves.  I do know this....he doesn't have enough...at least to live the lifestyle I suspect he thinks he's going to be living.  He can turn it around but doesn't have much time left because he's not a young kid either.  I like the guy and hope he starts thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:33:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#15]
 I do know this....he doesn't have enough...at least to live the lifestyle I suspect he thinks he's going to be living.  He can turn it around but doesn't have much time left because he's not a young kid either.  I like the guy and hope he starts thinking about it.
View Quote

I could stop contributing right now and by the age he retires at, I'd still have more money than he'll have saved up. Making up for poor planning in your 30s and 40s is a tough lesson for many to learn.

It's also funny hearing people make excuses for why they don't at least max the employer matching contribution.
"It's too much money" "I have too many bills" "I have to pay for my kids college"

Is your kids college going to buy you food or vacations in retirement?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:42:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#16]
Originally Posted By djkest:

I could stop contributing right now and by the age he retires at, I'd still have more money than he'll have saved up. Making up for poor planning in your 30s and 40s is a tough lesson for many to learn.

It's also funny hearing people make excuses for why they don't at least max the employer matching contribution.
"It's too much money" "I have too many bills" "I have to pay for my kids college"

View Quote

Yeah since I started really paying attention, I started noticing other people's retirement plans (or lack thereof).  It's actually amazing to me to see how bad off financially many people are and even more crazy to me, they don't even know it!  And, when you politely mention it to them, they get mad at you!  I get it no one likes it to be pointed out to them how they failed to plan but as the old saying goes, "failing to plan is planning to fail".  

I have a good friend who talks retirement strategies with me.  He's got some good plans in place.  We don't really talk specific numbers with each other but general principles of retirement planning. We share good youtube videos and articles with each other that help us do better with retirement planning.  We also talk about our friends and co-workers and how many of them have a complete lack of retirement planning.  Helps keep both of us on track for retirement fund planning.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently encouraged someone to double their contribution from 4% to 8%... with matching that gets them up to 14% of their gross.. almost there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
In the private sector, you’ll be lucky to be able to keep a job until age 64. In my company there is almost nobody over age 55. They all get forced out because they cannot keep up.

It is a dream of mine to be able to work until age 55. After that, I don’t have a chance of being hired at anywhere near my income.
View Quote

In my last job a test engineer finally retired at 85 years young.  She worked until her husband passed away before retiring.

A developer retired at 72 when she was finally forced to take social security and pull RMD's from her retirement accounts.  Continuing to work meant being in such a high tax bracket it was no longer worth it to her.  Sucked because she was a damned good developer.

In both cases their kids and grandkids lived locally so it's not like they wanted to stop working and spend their time visiting family since they saw their extended families fairly often, and they could have retired years before they did.  They just didn't want to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

In my last job a test engineer finally retired at 85 years young.  She worked until her husband passed away before retiring.

A developer retired at 72 when she was finally forced to take social security and pull RMD's from her retirement accounts.  Continuing to work meant being in such a high tax bracket it was no longer worth it to her.  Sucked because she was a damned good developer.

In both cases their kids and grandkids lived locally so it's not like they wanted to stop working and spend their time visiting family since they saw their extended families fairly often, and they could have retired years before they did.  They just didn't want to.
View Quote

While I think they are crazy…..still everyone is different. If working that late in life makes you happy, do it. My concern is not working till late in life. My concern is being FORCED to work late in life due to my lack of financial planning.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]

While I think they are crazy…..still everyone is different. If working that late in life makes you happy, do it. My concern is not working till late in life. My concern is being FORCED to work late in life due to my lack of financial planning.
View All Quotes

For some people, working keeps their mind active (and perhaps their body to a certain extent). For those folks, if they retire, then tend to die within a year or so. They tend to have few hobbies or interests outside of work and few social contacts outside of work. Work is their life, so to speak. I won't be one of those folks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not be forced into working because I can't afford to retire.  That said, I do honestly enjoy my job and all four of my grandparents lived independently well into their 90's before stroking out and falling over so I may have several decades of retirement to fund if I retire at 65.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not be forced into working because I can't afford to retire.  That said, I do honestly enjoy my job and all four of my grandparents lived independently well into their 90's before stroking out and falling over so I may have several decades of retirement to fund if I retire at 65.
View Quote

I see nothing wrong with working if someone WANTS to.  As long as you are enjoying your remaining years is important and if continuing to work makes you enjoy those years, do it.  But, in my case, I don't want to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
 I do know this....he doesn't have enough...at least to live the lifestyle I suspect he thinks he's going to be living.  He can turn it around but doesn't have much time left because he's not a young kid either.  I like the guy and hope he starts thinking about it.

If you can only fund one thing, fund your retirement before your kids college. Sounds sucky but he/she has their entire life to pay for their choices of education and most kids aren't going to have enough $$$ to actually fully fund their parents retirement. [nor should they]

Helping your kid/s with their education is nice [and I did it myself] but there is a big difference between giving them financial help and signing your name on the dotted line. Do the second and you are now on the hook financially if your kid besides to be a education bum and walks away from paying their share.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:10:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#25]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I was sad to hear a guy actually admit that was his part of his retirement plan.   His inlaws are pretty well off and not in the best of health and his wife is their only daughter.   I found it pretty disgusting.  

I have a sister that was always a spendthrift and only partially employed (18-20 hours a week if she felt well enough).  She was hounding my other sisters for the estates of my mother and a sister who passed a year later.  My mom carried her for years even in her poor health and meager retirement years.  She was a bit bitter to only see a few thousand dollars.  My step sister was the same after my step dad passed even though everything was in my mom’s name as they lived in the house she had prior to them getting married.  He sold his house and bought a truck and went in to the trucking business and lost his shirt after deregulation.   His money was tied up in a depreciating asset and the vinyl siding on the house.  There was no hundreds of thousands of dollars for her inheritance .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NAK:
Several of us were talking about retirement earlier this week.  I'm 62 and have already slowed down my career, but will consult for a couple of more years. One guy has been retired for 5 years. One guy just retired this year, and two guys in their early to mid 50's.

Everyone at the table had a very different take on what preparing for retirement and being comfortable in meant.

One of the younger guys falls into that "been contributing $1,000 every year to our 401K" and they are a classic example a couple that is living paycheck to paycheck on two $100,000 year salaries...new cars every two years, recently moved into a bigger home (with a big mortgage), a couple of big vacations a year, kids have never heard the word "No".    He seemed to think they would keep doing the same thing until 65, them retire with the same lifestyle they have today and  do more traveling.  I ask if either of them expected a big inheritance and he got pissed off at the question.

I was sad to hear a guy actually admit that was his part of his retirement plan.   His inlaws are pretty well off and not in the best of health and his wife is their only daughter.   I found it pretty disgusting.  

I have a sister that was always a spendthrift and only partially employed (18-20 hours a week if she felt well enough).  She was hounding my other sisters for the estates of my mother and a sister who passed a year later.  My mom carried her for years even in her poor health and meager retirement years.  She was a bit bitter to only see a few thousand dollars.  My step sister was the same after my step dad passed even though everything was in my mom’s name as they lived in the house she had prior to them getting married.  He sold his house and bought a truck and went in to the trucking business and lost his shirt after deregulation.   His money was tied up in a depreciating asset and the vinyl siding on the house.  There was no hundreds of thousands of dollars for her inheritance .

Pretty sure that if/when I inherit something (probably will) it is going to fucking hurt on the tax aspect, as I am trying to optimize for MY plan with MY income and assets.  Parents seem to have no idea how to do that, so likely will be ugly on the tax end of it.

Besides that - nothing in life is certain.  Bad to count on inheriting….
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Curious - why do you care that someone else is planning on inheritance as part of their plan?
View All Quotes

Curious - why do you care that someone else is planning on inheritance as part of their plan?

I personally think it would be a terrible plan.  People change, lose their mind with dementia, dis-inherit their kids, marry someone else without thinking about the kids from the prior marriage, list goes on and on.

Kind of like counting 100% on a private company pension- might work out, might not.

Example- My grandmother died, grandfather sold his house, moved in with a new GF, she bled him financially, gave away some of his belongings, convinced him to remove my mom as his executor, and then when he finally got to be too much trouble due to dementia, tossed him in a care home, while lying to the care place, saying his family had no contact with him for years.  Oh and sold some of his stuff like some of the guns.

Which was all really surprising when my mom popped down to visit on Father’s day, and he wasn’t in his house.  Yeah that went to shit really fast.  He got moved to a different care home, GF got shoved out of the picture.  I had to personally stay out of the situation as I worried I could cause trouble for my job if I did/said what I wanted to do/say….

So a guy who had properties valued at over a million in the late 80’s/early 90’s, who had mentioned paying for my kids college, as far as I know ended up leaving nothing substantial to his kids.  Care costs and the evil GF took all the money.

Thankfully we never banked on getting anything for the college money and were fine.

And I give it a 20% chance some similar or different issue derails my parents possibility of leaving me something.  My in-laws, well my MIL is not great with money, so that may not happen either if she doesn’t have help. If things go well- great, we won’t mind extra money.  But it sure isn’t a done deal.

So yeah- planning on needing an inheritance as part of your own planning is terrible.  Take it into account, but don’t count on it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]

The part in red was a bit of a rude shock.  It’s not killing me but it’s trimmed my sails a bit for the moment.  I retired just before Biden was taking over.  I expected the shot show but the inflation rate was worse than I guessed.   Not that they weren’t printing money willy nilly beforehand.

I am living off my pension and planned about 8 years before touching my 457b. Three years of that time has passed and I am reconsidering the delay.   Leaving it the remaining 5 years and earning 6% and it should hit 1 mil.   I tried to be aggressive with my retirement savings expecting the state to screw up the pensions.  So far the only hitch is they are shorting me for three years so far.  NYS has to recalculate my pension as they calculated mine while we had two contract of which 8 years affected me, were not settled.  They take years to “get to you” in the queue of those waiting for a recalc.  Probably only a hundred or two hundred bucks difference per month but it’s mine not theirs.  I’ll get the back money but no interest,.....which is why they stall.

I am not suffering now but I do watch my expenditures more carefully.

View Quote

I retired right before the election as well.  Inflation has been brutal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
lots of folks passionate about what other folks are doing/not doing.  Minding one's own bidnez is always a good thing.
View Quote

Good example of the type of thinking that causes people to not educate themselves on financial matters.  

My parents did not teach me anything about finances.  I did not make the same mistakes with my own kids.  

Talking financial matters and retirement doesn’t need to be a taboo subject- people need to talk about it more, as some will realize they are lagging behind or totally failing.  A discussion may get them moving in the correct direction.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Talked to an older lady today. Early 70s. Lives in an apartment. Her husband passed away less than a month ago. Both worked all their lives. He got around $1700 per month and she got $1600 per month based on their own earnings from SS. He also got a tiny pension. She can get an even smaller portion of his pension and she said that portion is $100 per month. But, she didn’t know you can’t collect both SS checks once one spouse dies. She can get the larger of the two checks but can’t get both. So after he died, she found out she’s going to have to live on $1800 per month for the rest of her life. She’s got health problems so getting a part time job is out of the question. Both her kids are dead and she has outlived all her siblings.

Learn from these people. Save something….anything….for the future. Invest and let it grow. Or not….decide wisely. It’s your future.
View Quote

Ouch.

Good example of having no backup plan.  Would not have taken very much to cover the difference either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Was talking to a guy at work the other day.  Mentioned retirement funding and he basically scoffed and indicated he would be just fine in retirement since his pension would take care of him and he would have plenty of money.  I asked him how much money he thought his pension would pay him.  He didn't know.  I asked him "What kind of retirement living standard are you planning for yourself?".  He told me he hadn't thought that far ahead.  I asked him "If you don't know what kind of retirement living standard you want to have, then how do you know you will have enough money?".  The look on his face was priceless!  He then walked off.  I hope it helps him to start thinking about the future but that's up to him.  I can do basic math.....it's pretty easy to do a rough calculation of what someone will get from their pension with our main plan.  I know roughly what he will be getting depending on when he leaves.  I do know this....he doesn't have enough...at least to live the lifestyle I suspect he thinks he's going to be living.  He can turn it around but doesn't have much time left because he's not a young kid either.  I like the guy and hope he starts thinking about it.
View Quote

Exactly the kind of thinking so many coworkers had/have.  Good friend that I kept bugging to get his 457b going…well he finally did it- but at just 1%.  Meanwhile he is raking in the OT at a rate unlikely to be seen again in the future, so he has the ability to save a lot more. Not exactly what I suggested he do, but I guess it is a start.  He also had cashed in his contributions in another state’s plan when he moved to take this job, so it is his only retirement plan.  Not sure he realizes that if he saved enough, he could buy himself those years back and retire a lot earlier- but he would need the cash to do it.  And at this rate he won’t have it.

A pension is a really nice safety blanket, a foundation to your future.  But it is not the only thing you want to count on, even if it is a good one.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I talked to a guy recently in his early 50's with a successful HVAC company. Just him and his son as employees.

He mentioned he had zero in savings. His retirement plan was for his son to take over the business and pay him a salary in his retirement and also provide a 3/4 ton company vehicle to haul his camper around. He said the problem was his son really didn't want to be in the business and wasn't a ball of fire.

That retirement plan really surprised me.

Of course, he has a $100k camper and everything he owns is top of the line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I talked to a guy recently in his early 50's with a successful HVAC company. Just him and his son as employees.

He mentioned he had zero in savings. His retirement plan was for his son to take over the business and pay him a salary in his retirement and also provide a 3/4 ton company vehicle to haul his camper around. He said the problem was his son really didn't want to be in the business and wasn't a ball of fire.

View Quote

He will end up living on Social Security, in a worn-out rotten camper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Nah, he will sell it and use the funds for retirement IF he doesn't carry debt on it. I know more then a few guys that owned a viable [that word means a lot when you sell it] company with good books and they did quite well when they sold it off. A couple stayed on as a ''consultant'' for a few years helping the new owner pull in previous customers with their association.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

That's crazy.  He could have opened a SEP IRA for him and his son, stashed a ton of money, saved on taxes, and still lived well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Wow!

The “putting all your eggs into one broken basket” retirement plan….
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#36]
lots of folks passionate about what other folks are doing/not doing.  Minding one's own bidnez is always a good thing.
View Quote

Yeah, let's not educate our children/family/coworkers about preparing for retirement..

Is that you Dad?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

A lot of business owners structure their business finances to minimize paying social security.  But, the side effect is there's not much to collect when they become eligible.  The real financial situation might be worse than it already appears.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Good example of the type of thinking that causes people to not educate themselves on financial matters.  

My parents did not teach me anything about finances.  I did not make the same mistakes with my own kids.  

Talking financial matters and retirement doesn’t need to be a taboo subject- people need to talk about it more, as some will realize they are lagging behind or totally failing.  A discussion may get them moving in the correct direction.
View Quote

Agree. In talking retirement with people, I have noticed how bad people’s financial future is. Some people are really in bad shape and most don’t even realize it. Some of the stories I’ve mentioned here are just a few of them. I have many more. A surprising number of people just spend, spend, spend with no concept of planning for the future.

I have learned how to reach some people though. Instead of specifically asking them if they have enough for retirement specifically, I show them how to calculate their own retirement numbers. For some people, that triggers them to start thinking about it.

A few people just get pissed so I don’t bother when I see that. I can lead you to water but I can’t make you drink. And, a few people I despise so I hope they are eating dog food when they retire!!  

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I like to help people to think about their financial future.  One because I care for others and two because I know that those of us that have been financially prudent will be forced to pay for those that have been spendthrift.

If I wasn’t worried about having to help pay for the poor decisions of others I would still try to help people to make good personal decisions by offering information or assistance but I would definitely appreciate not being financially punished by the government if those people made poor choices.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#40]
37 here and recently got serious about retirement.

I’m only at $15k in my 401k but putting $18k a year in including employer match. With scheduled raises and 6% performance assumption I’m hoping to hit $1mil @ age 57. That way I can take $30-$40k a year out of it (less then interest) while still growing the principal.

Additionally at age 57 I get my pension which includes health insurance and cola adjustments. That is about $55-$60k per year + $15k/year social security supplement until age 62.

I used to think pension/social security was enough but realized recently I’ll really meed $1mil to subsidize and I really want that nest egg to be passed onto my kids as a trust to allow them to subsidize their income with it’s interest while contributing and passing it on to theres to do the same.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Holy crap.   That is a bad plan.  So what happens when the kid does the books and there isn’t enough money for his salary in retirement?  I recall a thread on this board where some guy was posting and was basically enslaved to pay for the old man and iirc a brother who put no effort in to the family business.  The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze in what the old man set up and stayed on in a controlling way.

Not long ago a long time family business here finally shut its doors.  Dad’s retirement plan was to sell the business to fund his retirement.  It was also his plan to sell the business to his son.  As I hear it the son and the owner couldn’t agree on a realistic price of the sale, the sale price the old man needed to retire was more than the physical assets were worth.   So the business lasted two generations but not three.  I will say that covid also screwed up the business as it was a family restaurant that was popular.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:

I’m only at $15k in my 401k but putting $18k a year in including employer match. With scheduled raises and 6% performance assumption I’m hoping to hit $1mil @ age 57. That way I can take $30-$40k a year out of it (less then interest) while still growing the principal.

Additionally at age 57 I get my pension which includes health insurance and cola adjustments. That is about $55-$60k per year + $15k/year social security supplement until age 62.

I used to think pension/social security was enough but realized recently I’ll really meed $1mil to subsidize and I really want that nest egg to be passed onto my kids as a trust to allow them to subsidize their income with it’s interest while contributing and passing it on to theres to do the same.

View Quote

Good job!!

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Good job!!

Keep it up!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thedownzero:

Good job!!

Keep it up!

Agree, that is great that you are taking it seriously. Every step matters.

With that said, putting in 18k a year is good but only having 15 at 37 is behind the 8 ball. Grind hard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#44]
My MIL has zero retirement savings, and she is 65 years old. She told me that she is going to "Work until she dies". She's a great lady, but no one should take financial advice from her.  In the 1980s she was given a house by her FIL to raise a family in and that amounted to nothing after mortages were taken out against it and money lost- even though it was worth over 200k when it was sold.
No pension, no savings, rented places the last 10 years and now is renting a house with her youngest son.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:28:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lowdown3] [#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#46]

In the private sector, you’ll be lucky to be able to keep a job until age 64. In my company there is almost nobody over age 55. They all get forced out because they cannot keep up they make too much money and aren't politically correct.

View Quote

FIFY.

The brain drain from retiring people or people that have taken packages is severe in US businesses.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Holy crap.   That is a bad plan.  So what happens when the kid does the books and there isn’t enough money for his salary in retirement?  I recall a thread on this board where some guy was posting and was basically enslaved to pay for the old man and iirc a brother who put no effort in to the family business.  The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze in what the old man set up and stayed on in a controlling way.

Not long ago a long time family business here finally shut its doors.  Dad’s retirement plan was to sell the business to fund his retirement.  It was also his plan to sell the business to his son.  As I hear it the son and the owner couldn’t agree on a realistic price of the sale, the sale price the old man needed to retire was more than the physical assets were worth.   So the business lasted two generations but not three.  I will say that covid also screwed up the business as it was a family restaurant that was popular.

View Quote

Most businesses sell for more than the physical assets they own are worth.  The ones that don't are called auctions.

That said, this idea that the next generation of business ownership is going to pay you a salary for zero value add, in a business likely run without significant excess cashflow even when the previous generation is adding value, is the dumbest, yet most common thing I see with family businesses.

Sell and retire on the sale, sure.  But don't kid yourself about the value.  A business that pays an owner a salary and has next to no income on top of it might be fine during your career, but it's worth next to nothing outside of an asset sale.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I always wanted to see this breakdown...this is the only chart I could find out there.  From TD Ameritrade 2020 Road to Retirement Survey:

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:43:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#49]

In my company - we do it ourselves.  We have a group chat via a Teams channel, a OneNote with all the strategies, and regular weekly calls where people can ask questions, present things, it is awesome.  I developed a deck to talk about maximizing all the financial benefits and I get asked all the time to deliver it on team calls with different managers because they heard about it via word of mouth.  No funding necessary.  What funding do you need?  Just do it grass-roots.

Our calls got so big and popular, we even have a Fidelity rep join the call once a month to answer any custodian specific questions.  I also lead a bi-weekly call for newbies to cover basic stuff, people hear about this stuff word of month and new people join every week.
View All Quotes
I have been trying to push my company to let me do a quick 30-minute presentation about what a 401k is / how it works / investment strategies and they won't even fund that.

They will fund a meeting where a manager talks about company goals and other things, but not that.

I will give the YOUTH some credit, a lot of Millenials and Gen Z are starting to learn more about investing, as they have been told for over a decade that social security will not be there to save them.

In my company - we do it ourselves.  We have a group chat via a Teams channel, a OneNote with all the strategies, and regular weekly calls where people can ask questions, present things, it is awesome.  I developed a deck to talk about maximizing all the financial benefits and I get asked all the time to deliver it on team calls with different managers because they heard about it via word of mouth.  No funding necessary.  What funding do you need?  Just do it grass-roots.

Our calls got so big and popular, we even have a Fidelity rep join the call once a month to answer any custodian specific questions.  I also lead a bi-weekly call for newbies to cover basic stuff, people hear about this stuff word of month and new people join every week.

Excellent.

A lot of companies are putting more resources into financial education/planning for their employees, which is actually a good thing.  Of course, individuals are responsible for their own self-education (or lack thereof)… I just think it’s good that companies are making those resources more available.  There was very little of that years ago when I was a rookie.

What the other poster said about the younger generations may be true. My 19 year old son started a Roth this week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TSLtrek:
I always wanted to see this breakdown...this is the only chart I could find out there.  From TD Ameritrade 2020 Road to Retirement Survey:

https://i.ibb.co/85x8BwV/TD-retirement-funds-by-age.jpg
View Quote

Egad, that's horrible.   I  the 90s the target was 1mil at 65, 2010s  Make it 2 mil, now it looks more like 4mil to retire by the mid 2030s

No wonder govt bailouts are so popular
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top