Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 2 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Originally Posted By protus:

i was kinda hopeing others would chime in with pics,,gear list ect for the newbs... maybe one day,,,  ...

Here's my GHB setup.

I'm pretty satisfied with it, save one or two minor things.

My next project (when the funds are available) will be a full-blown SHTF/BO rig based on a Kifaru pack, out of which I can live for a month or more. THAT is going to be a SERIOUS challenge!

it can be done,,, if done right. food willl be your bulkiest items, and clothing at that point.

as for mnthouse ect. as i stated on the 1st page is the cost. weight saveing is great but cost sucks.
Those rice  meals i have weigh 5.7 oz's. howmuch does a mnt house weigh? vs cost(1.20$)
but for the month long bob a few days worth of mnt house meals will work great to save weight for that long haul!

every lil bit helps to save weight.
hard to do with the alice and mil style packs as on avg they weigh 5-8lbs empty.lol

Thanks for the list's and pics fellas!
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be happy to take pics of mine and post them, but I never can get the pics to come up when I do.  I don't have everything I want in there yet either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By mustangracer:
I'd be happy to take pics of mine and post them, but I never can get the pics to come up when I do.  I don't have everything I want in there yet either.

take your time...i've had my BOB for a  couple years now, and it's not even close to being ready to be shown.

I have a BOB inferiority complex
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

Originally Posted By mustangracer:

take your time...i've had my BOB for a  couple years now, and it's not even close to being ready to be shown.

I have a BOB inferiority complex

LOl hell.. ill admitt my has changed sevral times.. but what ive foundis my basic  core items ahve all stayed the same its the pack and luxury items that have changed the most.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump,,seen some BOB threads,,
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Protus,

Great work man...and I hope Mrs. Protus and the little Protus is okay.

Thanks for the great thread.  I just finished building my own gear for 3 different situations:

a Get Home Belt - basic setup to "get home" in an emergency
a BOB- self explainatory
a Battle Harness for those Zombie days

Your post, with the other comments, will help me get a great start on filling them up efficiently, rather than just full!

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By thereisnospoon:
Protus,

Thanks for the great thread.  I just finished building my own gear for 3 different situations:

a BOB- self explainatory

Your post, with the other comments, will help me get a great start on filling them up efficiently, rather than just full!

Thanks

that was the point of this., not just for me to give my opinion but for others to chime in  and list what they think a BOB should be. granted i stuck with the basics of what you need and then listed some examples. Im still hopeing others will chime in and list some ideas, we have a few good examples,, and  there should be alot more IMHO...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
grey man BOB list

Kelty 4500 internal frame pack

water-

Katdyne hiker water filter
viral stop h20 drops
3- 2 liter platypus bladders
1- 2 liter bladder(in pack)
1- 1 liter nalgene
pa h20 tablets

Shelter-

Custom made tarp 5x8
SG bivy sack
Of rated slumber jack pack lite 2(spring/summer thisis sawpped out for a 50f rated bag)
Fleece /wool watch cap
fleece gloves
2- pair of socks
2- change of shirts
1- pair of underware
1- poly pro turtle neck
1- nylon wind breaker/rain jacket
1-usgi poncho
1-polar max pants
1- 5x8 ground tarp
1- brit fleece
OD bandana
boonie hat
8- alum stakes
all packed in frezzer bags

food-

6 cliff bars
4 pasta meals
3- chicken(foil bagg's)
3- mre entrees
assorted-spices,condiments coffee/teas/drink mixes
single servings of trail mix per day( dried fruits nuts)
packed in frezzer bags
2- days worth of baby formula formula/ceral/foods

misc-

4 cup ss cup
spoon
50ft 550
25ft small dia. twine
BOB fishing kit
bug spray and wipes
face mask and gloves(bug netting)
led headlamp
compass
AO maps
pin on compass
BK 7
honeing stone
small hack saw blade
multi tool
gerber folder
camo face paint
sewing kit
2 1/2 rolls of TP
mirror
whistle
spare AAA batts
pocket bible
MINI survival kit- fits in my cargo pants pocket. to supplement my EDC /line 1/personal gear.
baby wipes
diapers

Fire-
blast match
3- bics
matches in h20 proof case
35mm film can with PJ and cotton balls wrapped with duct and electrical tape.
esbit stove
4 triox bars

FAK-
baisc FAK with 2 combat dressings.
line 2 has my BOK nad extras in it. BOB kit is for scrtahes and bruses day in day out stuff.
hygene kit-
tooth brush and paste
baby wipes
eye drops
floss

Comms-
am/fm/sw radio
frs/grms radio's
cell phone
spare batts for all.

weapons support-
spare parts( FCG parts/springs)
4 spare rifle mags 2 loaded 2 empty
30 rnds of pistol ammo
100 rnds of rifle ammo.
cleaning kit.

YMMV/AO dependant blah blah blah..

This is the kelty 4-6 day load out for me and my family. This is a BOB that is used  to blend in.. or at least not stick out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
A few random thoughts.

I think most carry way too much food.

You can't carry enough water for 72hours so knowing where and how to find water is more important than carrying 40% too little as opposed to 50% too little.

Link Posted: 11/4/2006 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2006 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll post pics of mine when I get them off my wife's phone

I need to find a lightweight tarp, and find a cheap lightweight sleeping bag. My current one is way to big for anything more than car camping.
Link Posted: 11/5/2006 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Band of Brothers:  "Feet, hands, neck, balls, extra socks warm them all!"

I'm surprised at the amount of food you guys are packing.  I could survive 2 or 3 days on minimal rations, granola bars and Powerbars an jerky.  Enough to stay energized for a couple days, without carrying a lot of extra weight.  Water is the crucial one to carry or be able to sterilize.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Caliburn:
Band of Brothers:  "Feet, hands, neck, balls, extra socks warm them all!"

I'm surprised at the amount of food you guys are packing.  I could survive 2 or 3 days on minimal rations, granola bars and Powerbars an jerky.  Enough to stay energized for a couple days, without carrying a lot of extra weight.  Water is the crucial one to carry or be able to sterilize.

have you weighed what a few day sof jerky,power bars and granola? its not exactly light.
i found that on avg  for 1 person  for 3-4 dyas of 2 meals a day plus snacks(trail  mix, energy bars what have you) your looking at 4-7 lbs.
and yes we can all go with out 3 meals  a day, BUT
If you look at this list, youll see that i for one have a family to care for as do others.

Becuase its titled BOB basics doesnt imply lightweightness. Its meant to K.I.S.S . To show what the base/core group of items youll need to stay alive for any period of time outdoors or while on a BO. food, water, shelter
If you are able to live off one cliff bar a day and 1 qt of h20. My hats off to you. But the main point is to not stray off the core base of what you NEED and you need the 3 items above !

As i posted on page one BOB's are very AO and user limits  dependant! What works for poster x2x2  may not work as well for jonny6539.......

Link Posted: 11/20/2006 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Hands down the best BOB thread I've seen - thanks Protus!
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 5:03:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bodie] [#16]
Anyone keep a TCL wind up Torch in their BOB or similiar?, great way to save on the weight of extra batteries.
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#18]
ia gree TJ.  reason i dont i pack or plan a BOB for more than 5-7 days. If its gonna be a long term event, worse case my BOB is only set up for teh days it  "may" take me to get where i wanna go.

besides that they are just there to supplement my BO during a short term event that requires me to leave my home. If not im gonna sit here fat and happy watching the news or inthe A/c of my truck  LOL
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 7:07:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#19]
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]
tag for some ideas for a GHB.
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#21]
TJ there a reason i carry a tarp in mine thats always 8ft
make a A frame and back the truck  under it to sleep in teh back or bulid the a frame on the truck itself. pretty easy to tie down at the bed corners and run a line from the grill  and tail gate for the center lines. while not great for exterme col.. down here it will do.
In my truck i also carry a bunch of junk, outdoor blankets,food,water ect. Its not much but enough to  supplement the GHb/ BOB's for a few days longer or to make my life(wife's ) easier!

being able to BO with a BOV is  the way to go. but you always need to be keep in mind with some events you may not have a BOV anymore( emp,hurricane,fire ect)
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 7:41:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I have found through my experience that my BOBs quickly become over-sized, over-weight and over-complicated with all of the "overlooked necessities" I keep adding as time goes by. I suppose it is human instinct to gather together things we find useful or pleasing but it can get out of control. I suppose that if I ever find myself bugging-out it will easier to lose bulky items not really needed than to find something I forgot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#26]
i'm reorganizing my kit again, trying to find that elusive balance between having necessary equipment ready-to-hand, and keeping the whole setup discreet.  at the moment, i'm dissatisfied with my level of adaptability.  below is my current rig, excluding the 2nd line/zombie gear.

belt kit:

-multitool
-fixed blade knife
-pistol w/ 2 spare mags
-inova led flashlight
-canteen with cup
-blow out kit
-snap link
-dock for removable drop-leg (4 AR mag pouches)
-small GP pouch containing:
1 MRE entree, 2 clif bars, 2 powdered gatorade, survival straw, iodine, space blanket, booboo kit, pocket survival kit, lensatic compass, esbit/triox, small fire kit, batteries, lightweight gloves.

BOB:

-water filter
-1 nalgene
-powdered gatorade

-5 servings MH
-2 MRE entree
-jetboil
-small bag with snacks, condiments, tp, spork

-poncho/liner
-2pr socks in baggies
-boonie hat
-watch cap/wool scarf

-fire kit   [wooden matches, paper matches, 2 lighters, flint/steel]
-light kit   [streamlight xenon/led dual light, headlamp, emergency candle, chemlights]
-hygiene kit   [pack towel, razor, comb, toothbrush/paste, camp soap]
-repair kit   [100mph tape, elec tape, needles, thread, safety pins, 10' of wire, etc]
-fishing kit   [tele rod/reel, snap swivels, split shot, bait hooks, 2 panther martins]

-garmin rino 120
-midland gmrs radio
-grundig mini world am/fm/sw
-NV w/ headmount
-battery backups for everything

-city/state/national maps (road, not topo)
-50' paracord/snap link

weight:  40#, +- 2#

what dissatisfies me is the belt arrangement, which is waaaay too visible.  granted, i can hide it under a jacket that i keep specifically for this reason, but i still don't like it.  my current plan for "grey man" BO is to move some things, like the BOK and GP pouch to the pals channels on the BOB, but that still doesn't address the carriage of the pistol and such.  plus, this destroys the independence of the first line.  so what i'm thinking about is redeploying all the 1st line stuff to something like a maxpedition jumbo w/ concealed holster.  i just don't like the idea of a shoulder satchel banging around all the time.

[edit:  any suggestions appreciated]

Link Posted: 11/20/2006 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By RjSteed:
Can someone post what amount of water they're Mountain House food needs to prepare? I guarentee its alot more than 4 ounces..

i didn't see an answer posted for this, but it is 1 cup/8oz.  i can live with the doubled water usage, as i get at least double, and probably triple or quadruple, the caloric content.  plus i carry 4 different kinds of water treatment tools, and live in an easy-access area for water.

i do agree, though, that it's easy to get caught up in the niftiness of MH/MRE, and spend a lot of unnecessary money in the process.  i'm a big fan of things like oatmeal and pouched tuna, myself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 3:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Serenity7] [#28]

just recived my e-bayed Camelbak BFM in mail $99.99 great deal! I need to fill it now any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By john575:
img142.imageshack.us/img142/1929/dscf0026uu7.jpg
just recived my e-bayed Camelbak BFM in mail $99.99 great deal! I need to fill it now any suggestions?

read the 1st page onwhat to fill it with
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]

read the 1st page onwhat to fill it with

Now comes the EXPENSIVE stuff

AC
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By omegagunman:
Good post.

Heres a few ideas to get you started on a gear list

Tent/tarp
sleeping bag/blanket
duct tape
knife/multitool
gun
something to hold water
fire starter
pot
food
water purification
change of cloths
extra socks

I do not think you need any illegal drugs in your BOB
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:

Originally Posted By omegagunman:
Good post.

Heres a few ideas to get you started on a gear list

Tent/tarp
sleeping bag/blanket
duct tape
knife/multitool
gun
something to hold water
fire starter
pot
food
water purification
change of cloths
extra socks

I do not think you need any illegal drugs in your BOB

perhaps he has it to barter/bribe?
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Only on ARFCOM do I need to put '/pan' to avoid trouble
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 8:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#34]

Originally Posted By sirensong:

what dissatisfies me is the belt arrangement,..... but that still doesn't address the carriage of the pistol and such.

You did not mention the type of pistol being carried.
edit:
How do you keep that belt set up "discreet", what with the canteen and the total quantity of stuff? With that much stuff it is what it is and pretty obvious to an observer.....theres not much you can do to keep things 'discreet".
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By RjSteed:
Can someone post what amount of water they're Mountain House food needs to prepare? I guarentee its alot more than 4 ounces..

i didn't see an answer posted for this, but it is 1 cup/8oz.  i can live with the doubled water usage, as i get at least double, and probably triple or quadruple, the caloric content.  plus i carry 4 different kinds of water treatment tools, and live in an easy-access area for water.

i do agree, though, that it's easy to get caught up in the niftiness of MH/MRE, and spend a lot of unnecessary money in the process.  i'm a big fan of things like oatmeal and pouched tuna, myself.

16 OZ OF WATER FOR THE TWO PERSON 20 OZ SERVING WHICH IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE SEEM TO GO WITH.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 11:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackRifleJihad] [#36]

Originally Posted By Tango7:
1 thing I don't see mentioned in any of the BoB posts is 1 or 2 contractor grade black plastic garbage bags.

They're lightweight, can double as emergency ponchos or solar stills, and ground cloths.

Just a thought.

IMHO Solar Stills don't work at all. It's a nice thing to see it in a book, but not at all practical. Other things are like transpiration bags or vegetation bags are though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By thereisnospoon:
Protus,

a BOB- self explainatory

Thanks

that was the point of this., not just for me to give my opinion but for others to chime in  and list what they think a BOB should be. granted i stuck with the basics of what you need and then listed some examples. Im still hopeing others will chime in and list some ideas, we have a few good examples,, and  there should be alot more IMHO...

I'm still working on it, Ill chime in later...
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#38]
There's a ton of valuable info in this thread, and I'd like to be able to digest it without being tied to a computer.  This may be a stupid question, but is there an easy way to print a thread?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By USPcompact:
There's a ton of valuable info in this thread, and I'd like to be able to digest it without being tied to a computer.  This may be a stupid question, but is there an easy way to print a thread?

not without using alot of paper. I hilite what I want and print that. for a hard copy. otherwise, I save the page, using the "Save as" under file at the top of browser.

Good post Protus. always injoy your BoB insights.
Reminds me of digging out my BoB and go threw it for updates, additions and more important DELETIONS !!.

"And Hey, lets be careful out there".
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

what dissatisfies me is the belt arrangement,..... but that still doesn't address the carriage of the pistol and such.

You did not mention the type of pistol being carried.
edit:
How do you keep that belt set up "discreet", what with the canteen and the total quantity of stuff? With that much stuff it is what it is and pretty obvious to an observer.....theres not much you can do to keep things 'discreet".

pistol is a sig 229 in .40

as for discretion, therein was the rub.  i mentioned going to a maxpedition jumbo, which i plan to buy at the next gunshow in dallas--(2 weeks or so).  for the time being, i have most of the belt stuff i listed earlier, along with a poncho, more food, and sundry items packed into one of the large CTD deployment bags, which is about the same size.  hydration is a camelbak classic, and my paddle holster should be arriving tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#41]
this is a great thread..... i am tagging it to BTT.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#42]
You could write a book on what a BOB should be depending on type of terrain, climate, time of year and about a million other variables that come into play.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By SilentType:
You could write a book on what a BOB should be depending on type of terrain, climate, time of year and about a million other variables that come into play.

yes y ou very well could.
as i said in the orignal, its very AO dependanta nd what works for me,, vs y ou.

Thats a reason i stuck with what i consider the 3 baisc items you need in a BOB to stay alive..
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#44]
my boyfriend made me one of the pocket things with the Altoids can-----anybody know ehere the post for that was?---I lost it already and wanna make my own before he knows I lost it----good thread----gia
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#45]
tag for further review
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Someone asked "how to be a little more discreet?". The first thing I would do is get everything off my waist. I use a survival sheath chest holster when I go hiking/camping because I can conceal it under a shirt or jacket and it will not interfere with the shoulder straps of my BOB. One thing I learned as an 11B in the 82nd and as a long distance hiker is to keep everything I can off of my waist if possible to increase comfort and agility. I do not use a canteen but rather a Camelback bladder. I do carry a Nalgeen bottle but use it as a glass to stir a nice treat at the end of the day such as Kool-Aid or Gator-Aid. I will sometimes use it to carry extra water if that is needed. A spare mag for your pistol should also be carried on you person of course(on the waist).

It is a good idea to always carry certain things on you rather that in your BOB. In the Army even though we were issued a lensatic compass and carried it on our gear I always carried a Silva compass in my breast pocket. If I was ever separated from my gear I would always have some of these important items. Whatever arrangement you decide on I think it is important to remember one thing. The biggest challenge to blending into your environment will be to try and look just like everyone else. That means that while camouflage can come in handy, too much camo will make you stand out. There are other things to consider but I think I have made my point.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Good thread!

Tag for later dissemination.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Nice snag!

I'm looking into GHB packs now (again). Looking at the Eagle A-III pack this time around, or their Becker Patrol pack that has all the MOLLE webbing over it but no external pouches.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#49]
The book "6 ways in  12 ways out" has excellent listing and a layering concept on BOBS
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Protus, that is an excellent setup you have going.  I am still in the works of figuring out all of my goodies and still purchasing a few things along the way.  This really has helped me in my decision making process.  Thanks for sharing.
Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 2 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top