Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2011 8:26:26 PM EDT
$99 bucks for a "brand new" [but likely expired] direct from Second Chance (ordered through Sportsman's Guide).

Anyone know any real info on the vests? Ballistic material most importantly.

A Google search source indicates German "Class 1 vests" are equivalent to US Level IIIA. And at a weight of 3 pounds 3 oz. I would guess they don't mean Level 1 US.

Anybody buy one in the past? It seems another lot was sold around July of last year by Sportsman's Guide. I searched but didn't see a discussion here.

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's overengineered like german cars are I would be intrested in this as well..

So tag for info
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Two problems I have with this:

1) Kevlar dergrades with time. How old are the vests, and what does the manufacturer say?

2) Ohh... that's right.. : http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=167016

Sorry to be the wet blanket.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Kevlar vests have a liability policy on them when the manufacturer is insuring themselves from loss. That liability policy is 5 years. That is why vests have a 5 year expiration on them. I would trust a vest that was 25 years old if it was in good condition and stored outside of temperature and humidity extremes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC these are level 1 vests, rated up to .380.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Any kevlar is better than no kevlar.....

I have shot vests from the 80's...they stopped everything they were rated for.

That being said, the weight, carrier, and over all design has been improved over the years,,,,try to find stuff that is within the decade.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC these are level 1 vests, rated up to .380.

correct... This is what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_vest

Link to the vest:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=604857

Arrest this Ballistic Vest! It's the one German MPs ask for by name for protection when it comes to upholding the law. Expert craftsmanship and A-1 materials collide.

* Made by Second Chance®, a renowned tactical manufacturer
   * Cool mesh lining
   * Rated Level 1 (Class 1) protection
   * Grip-cinch adjustable sides and top for a custom fit. Intended for costume use only. Weighs a whopping 3 lbs., 3 ozs.

Condition: brand new, never issued. State Size, as available in the Shopping Cart below. Order Up ONLINE!

Please Note: This item is shipped directly from the factory. To see the expected shipping date, please add to your Shopping Cart. Sorry, no express shipping available. We are unable to ship factory direct items to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or APO or FPO addresses.

I would probably hold out and save my $$ toward some better rated protection.  Though like posted above some Kevlar is better then none.
All mine is old out dated Kevlar but rated a few notches above the above.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem vests from 2nd chance were made out of zylon (if I remember correctly) not kevlar. There were problems with the zylon breaking down over time and not providing the protection they were supposed to. The KEVLAR vests should be fine. However Sportsmans guide does not list if it is kevlar = good or zylon = bad.

For a c-note something comparable to our level IIIA would not be bad if it was a kevlar vest. As the OP said these appear to be level 1 on the german system, not ours so equivalent to IIIA. If it was kevlar I might be tempted. IF is is not Kevlar I would pass. It should be printed on the panels.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have checked out Second Chance stab only vests for prison guards. They are only 1/8" thick and will stop a slach/stab attack, the one I saw had been shot with various calibers that it was not intended to stop...it would stop the "larger" rounds .38/,45 however the fast .22/.25 would make it through. I'm not trying to suggest wearing one for a "real" threat, but as previously stated, "...better than nothing"
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sportsman's Guide ad also says these are for "costume use only."  

I would hold out and pay a little more for known class IIIA armor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Sportsman's Guide ad also says these are for "costume use only."  

I would hold out and pay a little more for known class IIIA armor.

If it is expired (basically certain), they need to say something like "for costume use only".

Real question for me is whether it is Zylon/"Ultima" or Kevlar. Kevlar is a possible buy, Zylon a no go.

My wild guess would be they are from a canceled "Ultima"/Zylon batch. If it was Kevlar they'd would probably say it was Kevlar.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]

+1

I have ordered from them, excellent service and products.

Why take a chance on used armor of uncertain quality?
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Those vests are Zylon which is not anything I would want to trust my life to.  The Germans removed them from use during the Zylon controversy and waited until the expiration or warranties had expired before surplussing them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those vests are Zylon which is not anything I would want to trust my life to.  The Germans removed them from use during the Zylon controversy and waited until the expiration or warranties had expired before surplussing them.

Interesting. Would you tell me how you learned this? I'd like to read more.

Everything I've read indicates it is true, but there was a seller that had both Kelvar and Zylon German surplus vests. Not surprisingly, the Kevlar are sold out.

Also, why would the Germans take them out of service, but wait until warranty expiration before surplussing? Why not attempt to get the manufacturer to provide 1 for 1 trades for non-recalled ballistic material vests?

If you know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Germany bought these mostly in 2001 to 2003.  Germany took them out of service and sued Second Chance during the Zylon fiasco.  Second Chance went bankrupt due to all the lawsuits (NIJ de-certified all Zylon vests in 2005) and only the brand name remains today.  Germany didn't want to be liable for the vests so they waited to surplus them.  This was widely reported when they first hit the surplus market in 2008 but they keep being offered for sale as there is a sucker born every minute.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Germany bought these mostly in 2001 to 2003.  Germany took them out of service and sued Second Chance during the Zylon fiasco.  Second Chance went bankrupt due to all the lawsuits (NIJ de-certified all Zylon vests in 2005) and only the brand name remains today.  Germany didn't want to be liable for the vests so they waited to surplus them.  This was widely reported when they first hit the surplus market in 2008 but they keep being offered for sale as there is a sucker born every minute.

Thanks for the info.

Doesn't seem like typical Sportsman's Guide sale tactics to give a ballistic rating and then say they are for "for costume use only". Expiration would be a reason to say the "costume" part, but them KNOWING they were recalled Zylon also and not saying so is kind of .

I hope some poor dude who works graveyard at a stop and rob or driving a cab doesn't end up dead because these vests are floating around trying to grab the last buck from the last sucker.

Even a certain seller of firearms goods with a certain reputation sold these "vests", but removed the Zylon inserts and sold them as carriers ONLY.

Those damn German wool blankets I missed have me ready to pounce on any SG "deals".
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I seem to remember these being for sale a couple years ago now that you mention it. Def. not something to bother with then. A few years back I got some vests on ebay pretty cheap. US Armor kevlar i believe. Both were misspelled listings and I got them cheap. Took me about 6 months of looking for the right deal though. I'm pretty sure now ebay's search will pull up a misspelled word now, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I have nothing but good to report about bulletproofme,com!
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
This is for a vest that you hope to save your life right!? Yes something is better then nothing that is unless the something takes up weight that something else that will work takes up!

Easy way to answer your question is this would you shoot yourself with a 45acp FMJ point blank with this vest on? If your answer is no then don't buy it! I will not wear a vest no matter how cheap or what not that I do not feel that it could protect me!
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top