Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 1:13:30 PM EDT
Tested out a few designs today. This one won out.

Made from a can of tomato sauce.

Three notches cut in the top for three reasons. 1. You can sit smaller containers on it and 2. lets the heat up around the sides and 3. lets it exhaust.

Holes punched in three rings all the way around about 1" above the bottom. Also punched holes in the bottom.

Fuel intake hole is about 2" tall and 1" wide so you can stack the sticks in there.

Boils two cups of water in 10 minutes with just twigs.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's always cool to make stoves like this, but what if you don't have a pair of metal snips or even a SAK-mounted metal saw?

Making one of these things in the field might be tough.

I think buying one of the Swiss army surplus stove and aluminum bottle+cup might be a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It's always cool to make stoves like this, but what if you don't have a pair of metal snips or even a SAK-mounted metal saw?

Making one of these things in the field might be tough.

I think buying one of the Swiss army surplus stove and aluminum bottle+cup might be a lot easier.

Wait. Huh?

You can't cut metal in the field but you can visit the surplus store?

The whole point is that you can make them easily and cheaply. You can use a pocket knife and a rock to make one of these if you want. They aren't meant to be made in the field, but used there.

Make one, stick it in your pack, and viola.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
How about a beer can, a coat hanger, and a penny?  Try this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about a beer can, a coat hanger, and a penny?

Ehhh I would avoid using beer cans/ soda cans.  The paint that is used is EXTREMELY toxic and bad for you, just use an old baked beans can or something w/o a painted label.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ehhh I would avoid using beer cans/ soda cans.  The paint that is used is EXTREMELY toxic and bad for you, just use an old baked beans can or something w/o a painted label.

Yep.

The main purpose of building the type of stove I built is because it doesn't require special fuel, or special tools to build.

You literally shove sticks into it and it can cook food or boil water in a matter of minutes.

Nothing special, but I'm not one for fancy pants equipment when I can make one for free that works without special fuels.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

The main purpose of building the type of stove I built is because it doesn't require special fuel, or special tools to build.

You literally shove sticks into it and it can cook food or boil water in a matter of minutes.

Nothing special, but I'm not one for fancy pants equipment when I can make one for free that works without special fuels.

I have some that I have made that use sticks etc (for the obvious reason that it will burn anything) and I also have a Pringes can (awesome for storgage) full of penny stoves and Heiniken can stoves. A couple of gallons of Denatured ETOH (will never go bad) and some Yellow HEET (will never go bad) and I am GTG. The Alcohol stoves are pretty fuel effiecent once u get them dialed in and figure out how much ETOH that u need to burn to boil water.

One or the other (or both in my case) are must haves IMHO.

J-

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than a trip to Utah, I've never had a need for a 'camp stove'.  Two flat rocks, a handful of sticks, and I'm GTG.

Carrying a charred can around in my pack is not on my TO DO list when I am camping.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Other than a trip to Utah, I've never had a need for a 'camp stove'.  Two flat rocks, a handful of sticks, and I'm GTG.

Carrying a charred can around in my pack is not on my TO DO list when I am camping.

TRG

This is how I typically cook as well. I've never been one to have a 'camp stove', but I'm building an E&E pack and needed a way to cook without making a full fledged fire.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

This is how I typically cook as well. I've never been one to have a 'camp stove', but I'm building an E&E pack and needed a way to cook without making a full fledged fire.

My BOB stove/cooker is a fuel tab model.  circa 1962.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my multi fuel stove, works with esbit bars, alcohol, and wood.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

folks don't think about the light and smell issues with full on camp fires.

This type of stove would give better light discipline and avoid smoke from burning wet forest soil.

I think I will try my hand at this. I probably wouldn't do the fuel hole in exchange for just dropping it in the top. I would make a grate in the bottom so the fuel won't change the air flow much and the air would suck in under the coals.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Applying liquid soap to the pot will make soot removal muuuuch easier.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I use an Alcohol soda can stove . Its extremly light .  

http://ygingras.net/b/2007/6/a-better-soda-can-stove
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite homemade stove. I keep one in my pack always.

Interesting on the idea of a twig stove. Could be useful when the wind would put out a open small fire
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/falk-woodstove/index.html

These stoves are just like the one you made except the opening is v shaped and would be easier to inserts sticks into it. I have made a couple and they work great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#18]
batmanacw -  The advantages to the "fuel door", are that you do not have to lift your pot to add fuel, and you can place bigger sticks into the fuel door , which are then pushed farther in as they burn.  With a top feed, you are more limited in the size of fuel you can use.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Everyone,

First off , this is not my original design.. I was perusing on ' YOUTUBE; Hinnie Grill  " and decided to make something out my empties !!

So. here's my pet project !!

TOOLS:
1. Dremel ( Fathers Day Gift ) or a small hacksaw/File ?
2. Screwdriver
3. Pliers
4. Drill

Estimated Work Time:
20 min. It took me longer to copy & post this message  :lol:

Start by removing plastic Handle & Center Cap with a small Screwdriver and Pliers.

Remove metal cap from the center with a Screwdriver & Pliers.

DREMEL TOOL : The metal is surprisingly thick & I'll normally use two cutting disc.

Remove the empty " CO2 Cartridge ".
You will need to pour hot water inside to work loose the plastic base inside ( Some type of Silicone Glue ?)
The plastic base is sitting on top of the "Kabob Racks/ Baskets ".

You will need to " Drill " a few vent holes near the bottom rim to allow for proper air circulation to keep the fire " HOT " , approx 4-6 . Anything more is up to you and your creativity !!

Just a reminder .. If you are going to cook with this .. I would suggest putting it on top of a few rocks / bricks etc, as the bottom will get very, very hot !!

Hope this was explained well enough ?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Now THAT is a improvised stove! ^^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top