Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2010 8:13:40 PM EDT
Well im starting my research on a tiller purchase.  I wanted the one attache to the brand new kabota but thats not happening this year, so its a walk behind model.  Im looking in the 550-700 range on price, so far i have setteled on a rear tine, reverse rotation, with reverse, and some where between a 16-18 in width.   Some reviews of what you have and things to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Do i look at width over depth, or both equaly important.
is reverse rotation really all that.  The reviews so far say yes.
Is there really that much of a differance in a 6" verses a 8" depth.  
Are pins locking the wheel into out of neutral all that much trouble or just a really picky reveiw.  
Im looking at the aries or yard machine  at HD heres a comparson  Compare
or the Troybilt from lowes Here
Theres also sears.  Here

I currently have about 12x24 plot and am going to be about doubleing that for vegies and then im going to be planting about 8x 40 area for corn.   My neighbor has a tractor and tiller attachment that im going to "borrow/hire/ask" to break the new ground first and then ill hit it with the tiller to kill any sprouts before planting unless i can get him to hit the same area again before planting  with the ttractor.  Im sure he'll be happy to do it so should i wait till end of summer and see if the tillers go on clearance, as an afterthought?  

Well i would have put a pic of my last years maters in here as a primer but i must have deleated them.    Thanks all
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
We have had troy bilt tillers since I was a kid.  We bought one in the early 80s and just recently replaced it.  We have a tractor (massey ferguson) for breaking new ground and bush hogging but the tiller does most of the vegetable garden by itself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Last year I bought the Ariens 17" rear tine tiller for about 700 bones at HD.

The Subaru engine is great, a fairly quiet OHV engine that will work hard for about 6 hours on a tank of gas.

The rest of the tiller is NOT what I'd call " well designed ".
When ( not if ) the drive belt jumps off a pulley, you will need to lay the tiller on its right side ( full of fuel of course ), remove the left wheel, and  two or three screws to remove the cover.
It was designed with a bolt that protrudes into the cover area ... The cover cannot be removed with the tire on - because the excessively long bolt is in the way.
Upon  inspection of the belt idler and design, Ariens decided to use two cheap soft steel tabs that continuously scrub on the back of the belt when tension is applied.
The transmission case is incorporated into the entire tiller frame... this is a thick  two piece stamped sheet metal side plate design, that would make transmission disassembly and repair an absolute nightmare.

The shift lever is inaccurate for drive selection and sometimes damn difficult to operate... occasionally frustrating as hell.
Out of the box, the drive engage lever is hard to keep compressed, it would not have taken much time or care during assembly to make it right.

For now, it's doing it's job... but if I were you, I'd look hard at the way they are built and check all the reviews before I made the purchase.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
troy-bilt bronco here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]
My Father just replaced some seals and bearings in his TroyBilt rear tined tiller he bought almost 30 years ago. He tills 1/3 acre garden smooth every Spring and uses it to cultivate between the rows every week or two the whole growing season. I cannot comment on any other machine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have anything that extravegent.  I have an attachment for my weed wacker that turns it into a small tiller.  Does a great job for it's size.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Watch Ebay and Craigslist for an OLD Troy_Built Horse Model Tiller. I've seen a few on there in the last few days. One of the best tillers ever made in my opinion. Easy to work on, parts can still be found. There is a Yahoo Group dedicated to these old tillers, tons of info there. I'm currently working on mine, it should be ready real soon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Great Info so far.  Thanks  Keep them comming.  I saw a this  for 300.00
8hp Troybilt rear-tined tiller for sale! Needs a new recoil-start mechanism, but does have now a rope-starter. Tiller was bought new in 1982, regularly maintained. Has not been used for 2 years, but ran great before then. Rugged 8hp Briggs-Stratton engine. This is gem to use in your garden as it is self-propelled and just keeps on going and going through the ground plowing it up effortlessly!

and this for 500.00
this well used Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller. Tecumseh 6 HP motor with pull or electric start. Model # HH60 - 105107F, Serial Number 8356D on engine.
This has been mine since 1979. Purchased from the Garden Way Manufacturing Co. I have been using this for years and even landscaped my entire city yard when I moved to this location. However, this is a small yard and even smaller garden so I really don't need this size tiller any longer!

It does need work! The bolo tines need replacing, it needs a filter for the carburetor, inner tube for the flat tire and a new battery. I have all the original paper work which I will give you with this purchase.
Due to weight, this Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller WILL BE SOLD AS IS and is a LOCAL PICKUP only.

Im a little concerned regarding age on these,  how long have you had your troybuilt.  

Will look into the bcs?  tiller also.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
We have an old Troy bilt from the '70s. It is a piece of junk though. We need to get a new one. We also have one of those little Mantis tillers for doing in between rows and stuff. That little guy is a workhorse.

Mantis Tiller

This one looks similar to the old Troy bilt we have.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy crap those BCS tillers are expensive.

My question to anyone that felt it was a good purchase is why not just a compact tractor with a tiller attachment? I'm not asking to attack your choice, I'm seriously asking for reasons why you felt the BCS was better.

As I see it, anybody that has enough land to put in a garden that requires such a mammoth tiller, could probably also make very good use of a compact utility tractor, so getting the tractor and a 3 pt. tiller would be just as good, and likely more versatile.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I run a 5hp front tine tiller that i have had for 30+ years never did anything to it but change the drive belt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I would say, get the Mantis.

Back when I use to do landscaping jobs, I found the Mantis to be one hell of a work horse. Still have that one after all these years. Still runs and works great.

Since your doing such a small space, the Mantis would be ideal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Pros
At 54" wide I can easily till by the acre  
Extremely fast yet does a great job
Super easy to use

Cons
Can't till between rows
$2,600

I also have a 20 year old troy built pony to till in between rows.

Pros
Price - It was free
Does in between rows nicely

Cons
Slow
Leaks oil slowly
Requires more effort to use
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a round-point shovel, a hoe, a strong back and a stubborn disposition.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I am using a 30+ yr old Troybilt horse that my father bought new.  In that time he has replaced the carb once,  the tines twice and now the recoil starter needs to be fixed.  It has had the crap used out of it.  I currently have a line on 2 more that I hope to pick up this spring as my Dad needs his back.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an old ass heavy as hell really wide front tine John deer tiller that is louder than a B1 taking off
It was free so I am not complaining.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I like Pyro's the best but not in the funds for this year, Thank god for neighbores with tractors and a tiller attachment.

I Have only planted a garden 1 year this is year 2 and i expect to keep expanding as i learn.  Im planting in the sf foot method and no weed between plants so i hope we dont need to till between rows.  However i had no rows it was a 12x24 Sf garden all of it  on top of each other, i had to go in the jungle to get my produce.  This year 4' rows with walkways between and I going to keep them clean/bare or weed cover in place.  
Called on the 2 troybilt tillers that were almost 30 years old and the poof gone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like Pyro's the best but not in the funds for this year, Thank god for neighbores with tractors and a tiller attachment.

I know they're expensive as hell new, but look around used.  My sister and I found a used 3-pt tiller (62" or 68" I think) maybe 4 years ago. I think we paid $325 each for it.  Was in great shape and built like a tank.  If you've got a tractor, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out on the used market...

-Slice
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 35 year old MTD Garden King 8hp rear tine tiller.

Bought it this year for  $50.

I couldn't be happier with it.

I tilled 1500 sq ft in about hrs, I made 3 passes and it was a whole lot easier than my old front tine tiller.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
We also have one of those little Mantis tillers for doing in between rows and stuff. That little guy is a workhorse.

+1 on the Mantis

It's easy to discount them as a "toy" since they're so small, but that would be a mistake. They really do very nicely.....particularly so if you're working with a garden that's been worked before. It's also very easy to flip the tines around and use it to cultivate in areas you'd never be able to get a full-size tiller.

In a situation where you have a friend/neighbor who is coming in for a once-over with a PTO tiller, and you aren't planting a huge area, a Mantis would/could do everything you need. My wife and I worked a garden that was about 14' X 120' with nothing but a Mantis for years.

They work great as long as you don't live in west Texas. We have soil made out of concrete here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Old garden-way Troy-Bilt Horse. It's a freaking tank. All I've had to do is replace belts and tines. You can buy used ones for $200~300. Engine replacement is 4 freaking bolts if required. Belt replacement requires zero tools and done in 2 seconds. Tines are a 20 minute job. The Troy-Bilt Horse is the only tiller ever designed to be worked on by someone with zero mechanical skills.

BCS makes a nice tiller but, unless you are Bill Gates you can't afford one. Heaven forbid you have to replace parts. You would have to mortgage your house and order the parts from France. But, other than that it's a sweet tiller.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1 on the Mantis

It's easy to discount them as a "toy" since they're so small, but that would be a mistake. They really do very nicely.....particularly so if you're working with a garden that's been worked before. It's also very easy to flip the tines around and use it to cultivate in areas you'd never be able to get a full-size tiller.

In a situation where you have a friend/neighbor who is coming in for a once-over with a PTO tiller, and you aren't planting a huge area, a Mantis would/could do everything you need. My wife and I worked a garden that was about 14' X 120' with nothing but a Mantis for years.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I know the Mantis tillers are great (my mom has one that I borrow occasionally) but they still take a while on large plots.
I do say +1 on the Mantis though for your smaller work.
Quoted:

They work great as long as you don't live in west Texas. We have soil made out of concrete here.

Like he said, they work best if you're working with ground thats been broken before. They just don't have the weight to push/dig down into really hard ground, but if its been broken before and just needs a little work to loosen it up again or to weed it, they're wonderful little machines.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually, they do work well in unbroken ground, at least here in Michigan.

I did garden spaces and flowerbeds with the Mantis.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Actually, they do work well in unbroken ground, at least here in Michigan.

I did garden spaces and flowerbeds with the Mantis.

Try it on unbroken "hard" ground. It'll just sit there and scratch the surface because it doesn't have the weight to push down through.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know much about anything but the old Sears 8 hp tillers (front tine, drag solid rubber wheels behind them and wear you out if you're breaking new ground type tillers).  All I can say is the one in my building was bought by my dad in 1974, or maybe a year earlier and he used it for years keeping three gardens going.  He bought another one just like it from his brother in law and then another one off a buddy.  I've been using the original one for almost 10 years now.  I don't use it near as much as he did.  I fire it up in the spring (starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull most of the time - after sitting for months with the same gas in it - no stabilizer either).  I till up some old spots and now and then a new spot or two (small spots) as I usually keep my stuff separated - tomatoes here, cucumbers there, lettuce/onions somewhere else, beans in another place, etc.  It has the same tines on it (man are they rounded off after all these years) but I replaced both the wheels (starting to fall off the metal rims) and the gas tank (rusted out) about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Good to know on the mantis,  
I have been looking for a used 3 pt tiller all winter and still looking for one for the tractor that i have yet bought.   As i said there is a neighbor with a tractor and tiller that will break all new ground and rehit the old for me for a DZ fresh eggs or whatever,  and im happy to share extras with him on what he does not grow.  Ill look over the mantis for clean up work,  which what it will really most likely be used for.  Still keeping my eye out for a troy built hourse though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 on the Little Mantis, I have one my dad gave me and it does ok in our loamy soil you just need to pull it backwards and kind of give it a rock from side to side,but for cultivating and weeding it works great, I'd still like to have a big one though to make it go quicker in large areas.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Tiller

This is what I run, expensive, but the honda motor is the deal.  Bought mine two seasons ago from the showroom floor for right at $600

No issues so far
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I was just in this same boat. Lowes has the 12 months same as cash for 12 months from 3/11-15 here in Staunton. I looked at what they had, read the reviews, and wound up buying a Troy-bilt Super Bronco last night. A friend at work has had one for a few years, and is very pleased with his.

It's not as heavy built as the older/more expensive trot bilts, but at $700 I think it was the best bet in it's price range! It's muddy as hell here, so I won't get a chance to try it out for a while unfortunately.

Here is a link to the manufacturers web page on it.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_91368_54971_-1
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a front tine cheapo from the farm store. I would not recomend a front tine, mine works fine it just beats you to death. Found a solution to that however. I just have my young son run it. Buy a used rear tine to get you by untill you can get one for the tractor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Watch Ebay and Craigslist for an OLD Troy_Built Horse Model Tiller. I've seen a few on there in the last few days. One of the best tillers ever made in my opinion. Easy to work on, parts can still be found. There is a Yahoo Group dedicated to these old tillers, tons of info there. I'm currently working on mine, it should be ready real soon.

This +87. My dad has the same Troy-Bilt Horse he bought new in 1980.

Link Posted: 3/19/2010 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tiller

This is what I run, expensive, but the honda motor is the deal.  Bought mine two seasons ago from the showroom floor for right at $600

No issues so far

i'm getting this same one next weekend, 749.00 before tax...   any reviews/opinions on this model?  

the sales guy said the troybuilts are made by cub cadet....  is this true?
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#38]
There both made by MTD.  Choice at this price point is an illusion.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 3:52:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was just in this same boat. Lowes has the 12 months same as cash for 12 months from 3/11-15 here in Staunton. I looked at what they had, read the reviews, and wound up buying a Troy-bilt Super Bronco last night. A friend at work has had one for a few years, and is very pleased with his.

It's not as heavy built as the older/more expensive trot bilts, but at $700 I think it was the best bet in it's price range! It's muddy as hell here, so I won't get a chance to try it out for a while unfortunately.

Here is a link to the manufacturers web page on it.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_91368_54971_-1

If you ever get an older horse, you will hate yourself later for thinking that is a nice machine. I bought one years ago, thinking to go lighter, big mistake. I ended up giving it away. That thing is so light it will yank itself right out of your hand and take off like a banshee if the tines hit anything while the horse will only make a small hop. I learned the hard way, the heavier the tiller the better the tiller.

Also you cant take it out of gear, so rolling it to your location is out of the question. The old garden way horse may be 3 times as heavy, but it is far easier to use and move.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I have an old 36" front tine.  I would recommend strongly against these.

This thing is probably from the 50's or 60's, it was my grampa's and he died in 1979.  It was rusted and old looking then.  It has no markings on it except Briggs 5hp.

If I were selecting a tiller to take me into the apocalypse, I'd want this one.  It's mostly cast iron and 1/4" steel plate.  The pulley system is industrial v-belt kinda stuff.  very simple and sturdy.  I have no doubt this will last me till I'm dead.

On the other hand, being a safety conscious kinda guy, I will not loan it to anyone and I will not perform work with it for anyone.  This machine is dangerous.  I'm a 300 pound dude, I stack 27 pound boxes for a living.....about 24,000 a day......I ain't no little man.  IT WHIPS THE SHIT OUT OF ME.  It WILL take me for a walk across the yard and throw me around like a little kid.   I use it once a year in the spring, and I plan a day for work with a couple after that just to hurt.  

If I had more use for it I'd get a newer rear tine, but I just can't justify it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Troy-Bilt for the Win. get an old one,made by Garden Way. I have two of them-a 7hp one I bought new in 1988, and a 1975 one I bought last year off Craigslist for $65. It was a rusty piece of junk when I got there, but the phone was still ringing off the hook with guys wanting to come out and get it. I cleaned it up, painted it, replaced the points in the engine, cleaned the carb, and replaced several seals in the transmission. A new set of tines was my major expense. Here is the result:

Here's the 7hp at work last spring. This thing is unstoppable-I've never stalled it out in the heavy soil we have.

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Troy-Bilt for the Win. get an old one,made by Garden Way. I have two of them-a 7hp one I bought new in 1988, and a 1975 one I bought last year off Craigslist for $65. It was a rusty piece of junk when I got there, but the phone was still ringing off the hook with guys wanting to come out and get it. I cleaned it up, painted it, replaced the points in the engine, cleaned the carb, and replaced several seals in the transmission. A new set of tines was my major expense. Here is the result:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/jeep442007/S6000244.jpg

Here's the 7hp at work last spring. This thing is unstoppable-I've never stalled it out in the heavy soil we have.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/jeep442007/S6000222.jpg

I have one like the first pic. Do you have a good source for parts?
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#43]
That first one has a Tecumseh 6hp engine. As much as I dislike the idea, other people have had good luck replacing it with the Harbor Freight  $159 engine-I guess it is pretty much a straight swap. I like American cast iron, so I rebuilt the Tecumseh. I found another Tecumseh HH60 engine (that's the model number of the engine) at a car swap meet, so I have a spare now. The end play on the mainshaft that runs from the lower pulley to the tiller tines is critical-when I got this tiller,it was way too loose,and the seals were ruined behind the pulley. I got new seals and bearing shims from this place,along with stuff like a new throttle cable and a correct decal for the rear hood:

http://www.custompartsinc.com/cat.asp?id=1#c21
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/jeep442007/S6000244.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/jeep442007/S6000222.jpg

I have one like the first pic. Do you have a good source for parts?

Sign up for Yahoo groups and join the Troy Bilt Tiller Club. There is a wealth of information to help with working on the old machines, and a decent source or parts as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
We also have one of those little Mantis tillers for doing in between rows and stuff. That little guy is a workhorse.

+1 on the Mantis

I bought my wife one of the 4 stroke mantis tillers this year, and I was really surprised with how well they worked.  I had read up on them, and had talked to several owners.  They are worth the money in my opinion.  The factory store is located in Bucks county, PA, close to Philadelphia.  I was able to pick up a returned one (looked just about new to me) for $100 off at the store.  Talking to the sales lady, she said that many of their owners are between 70 and 80 years old.  I believe it, my 9 year old daughter can run the mantis (with supervision).
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm looking for one for my wife and trying to decide between a 2 stroke Mantis for $280 or a 4 stroke Honda FG110 for $340.  If I go with the Honda, I don't have to worry about her screwing up a gas/oil mix.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Simplicity 516 rear tine. pretty similar to a Troy-built pony. Works OK but I'm 6'4" and ended up rearranging the handle height with a torch and welder.
2 cycle Mantis
2 bottom plow on the back of the 4510 for sod busting. I have been building food plots in the last few years to raise the ambient deer population and have been considering the 3 point tiller to speed things up as well .
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#50]
+1 for BCS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top