Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2013 5:20:48 PM EDT
Well I have been waiting awhile to make a pot of these and finally found the time.

First get whatever mix of beans you like and follow the prep steps. I soak mine for 12 hours in 2 qts water.

Empty that out

Put in some garlic, onions, couple tablespoons molasses and whatever spices I like to taste.

Put the lid on and prep the bean hole

I like to dig a hole roughly t foot by two foot for my 12" DO

I then trim the brush from the yard over the summer and pile it on top and start it on fire

Every so often I check it out

Eventually it burns down to nothing but hot coals

I like to put some bailing wire on the handle so IU can find it and so I know when I'm getting close digging it up

And it is ready for the Dutch Oven

After removing about half the coals I place the Do in the middle and bury it in coals. You can kinda see the wire sticking up.

After it's buried in coals I cover it with a layer of dirt and leave it for the night/day. Usually 12+ hours.

When I get hungry I come dig it up. Being careful not to knock the lid off and get dirt in my meal. On this night it snowed a couple inches; the beans were a little cooler than normal but still done.

Here is the finished product.

Ready for a New Years Day dinner with some fresh Jalapeno Corn Bread from my lovely lady wife and a Dos Equis.

Cheers.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics ain't loading dude. Just saying.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks tasty...
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck yes.

I'm gonna buy one of these damn dutch ovens, and do this on a camping trip
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck yes.

I'm gonna buy one of these damn dutch ovens, and do this on a camping trip

Better bring a jackhammer and some dynamite if you want a hole that deep where you and I camp. Hell, you can't get a tent peg in the ground 1/2 the time.  

Hell, I figured I'd buy the oven, and you'd dig the hole....  
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It was delicious. I am going to be doing the same thing for an elk roast in the next week or so.

When you go hunting/camping you can dig the hole burn off the wood, throw the roast in the night before leave it all night and have it the next day.

This one was not hot when I pulled it out but then it was also buried under 8" of dirt and 3" of snow the next day.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I like this idea.  One question, I am assuming that since the pot is more or less sealed by the weight of the lid and then it is covered with coals and dirt, there is no yum-yum cooking smell to lure in the vandals, right?  That could be a real lifesaver in bad times.  Just something to consider if our world tilts upside down.  

Thanks for posting and the pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top