Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 7:21:38 PM EDT
Any one have any experience with these.  May be a Mother's Day gift for my wife.  Will be built in New England and will have to make it through the winters up here.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Be Good,
Meidc2RN
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's mine when it was nearly complete...

And after I started using it...

One change I made was to frame out the door frame and mount the door on small hinges. I really hate the sliding door design and having the door swing out instead is a big improvement.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
40 mph winds will blow the panels out, take extra steps to secure the panels.
The better the foundation, the better it will go up.
The door fit is not great.
And without additional heating it won't hold temperature above freezing in really cold weather.
Otherwise it is good to go, especially when on sale.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Just going by the pics, it doesn't look like a bad deal at $299 (on sale now).
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
We have/had one from 6-7 yrs ago.  As previously stated pay attention to the foundation get it square. I used treated 2x12 for the base, then staked them in, and filled with crushed stone.  This gives you some extra interior height which is needed, but leaves  a ledge to step over.  Either caulk in the panels or buy extra clips.  The panels will blow out if the wife leaves the door open and it gets windy.  That happened at year 3 when the panels were getting brittle from the UV exposure.  Broken panels everywhere.  I bought new twin wall from a different supplier hoping to get better material that would last longer.  Quality panels cost more than the whole kit from HF.  I never have had the time to install and rebuild the thing yet.

Cinder Blocks and that white wire closet shelving work well for cheap racks for flats.

Temp control is critical as since it's a small space it REALLY HEATS up during the day.  Wilted lettuce when you didn't want it that way.

We really used it for starting seedlings and would put them out during the day.  It wouldn't hold heat at night so we always brought things in if a freeze was called for.

The frame is solid enough for what it is.  Our biggest problems were blown out panels from the wind.  After yr 3 the panels were looking rough and pretty brittle.  I'd either plan to buy another kit at that point and repanel it or upgrade to thicker twin wall at that point from someone else.  Silicone or butyl tape to hold the panels in would be a good upgrade or even a couple of pop rivets here and there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top