Site Notices
Page / 104
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GustusJ:
Love the M! Brings back good memories.
View Quote

Thanks.  It's great grandpa's '48 model.  75+ years of popopopopop's!
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#2]
Cut down a standing dead (mostly) White Oak, got it sectioned and then moved it to my firewood processing area near my pole barn.

Dun forked up the dropping cuts; first wedge cut was angled off level, the back cut - from the opposite side - was off level the other direction.  I had to recut the back-cut.

Even with the screwup, it still dropped exactly where I wanted it.  The horrendous original back cut angle is clearly visible here.  

Taking the trunk to the pole barn:

Pile of logs:

From the other side.  My new logging helmet visible on top of the pile. [ETA:  Some of you might remember some Dumbass running over it with his tractor a couple weeks ago.  ]  Most if not all of this tree will go to my BIL since I'm pretty full up:

And now it's Miller Time!

Thanks for looking!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Cut down a standing dead (mostly) White Oak, got it sectioned and then moved it to my firewood processing area near my pole barn.

Dun forked up the dropping cuts; first wedge cut was angled off level, the back cut - from the opposite side - was off level the other direction.  I had to recut the back-cut.

https://i.imgur.com/9NWsHSV.jpg

Even with the screwup, it still dropped exactly where I wanted it.  The horrendous original back cut angle is clearly visible here.  

https://i.imgur.com/RrXlyWs.jpg

Taking the trunk to the pole barn:

https://i.imgur.com/CRL3Rnd.jpg

Pile of logs:

https://i.imgur.com/hGT7X05.jpg

From the other side.  My new logging helmet visible on top of the pile. [ETA:  Some of you might remember some Dumbass running over it with his tractor a couple weeks ago.  ]  Most if not all of this tree will go to my BIL since I'm pretty full up:

https://i.imgur.com/I23c7hZ.jpg

And now it's Miller Time!

https://i.imgur.com/dCv5XL5.jpg

Thanks for looking!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!

BIL got another trailer load yesterday.  The only real role the tractor had for that job was taking the real uglies and rotted rounds to the burn pile.

Nice load of Maple though!  Note the uglies on top.

He also got the 2nd empty firewood rack, so that cleared up some space in my pole barn.  Now I can start getting it organized into something a bit more useful.

Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Had some poplars took down at cabin this weekend. Got them stacked and ready for mill

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bigger ones on the trailer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:07:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amarbuilder] [#6]
Used mine for a makeshift work bench.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Dropped a big dead oak this Sunday. Tree was down at 10…didn’t get it bucked and split until 4 pm. I’m sore.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#8]
Last bit of prep for the goat pasture was removing a pile of boulders and dirt left when the lot was cleared back when the house was built. There was more there than it looks. Got it almost done today and I’m setting aside larger boulders to build another retaining wall. Had to stop for the evening when the sidewall decided to leave the chat thanks to a sharp rock shard. I’m going to classify the dirt in the pile I moved and use the junk to pile up behind the range backstop.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#9]
A little better view from upstairs…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Spent the morning chipping pines and a couple ash.  Anything that fits (8" or smaller) gets eaten right up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 3901 is nice, but I would sure like a bigger one.  Too bad there's not a 70hp with HST.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Stonia:

The 3901 is nice, but I would sure like a bigger one.  Too bad there's not a 70hp with HST.
View Quote

They make them...but they are older and thus "not cool" anymore...

International had several hydro models.

I think the 1026 was the highest HP hydro they made at 126 hp, but the newest/nicest model was probably the 3488 Hydro, a 83 hp cab tractor made 1981-1984...but like I said, those aren't orange or cool enough for most people...
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

I think the 1026 was the highest HP hydro they made at 126 hp, but the newest/nicest model was probably the 3488 Hydro, a 83 hp cab tractor made 1981-1984...but like I said, those aren't orange or cool enough for most people...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Originally Posted By Stonia:

orange has earned my loyalty over about 40yrs now

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#13]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

orange has earned my loyalty over about 40yrs now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/33912D2C-2DC8-4923-9CE9-B01B5C011A5A-1486436.jpg
View Quote

So you're concurring with my point? International (as an individual entity) has been out of business for as long as orange has been earning your loyalty. And there are many thousands of their tractors still chugging along on farm all over the world.

Just for reference. Orange (in the US) is a VERY YOUNG company compared to many mainstream brands in the US. They've won many folks over. Sadly, they won me over and then subsequently lost me...but that's all irrelevant to this. The person I was responding to was lamenting the lack of hydrostatic transmissions in higher horsepower tractors. I was simply pointing out that there ARE higher hp hydrostatic tractors, just not painted "hipster orange".

And for full clarity, my issue with orange is primarily a dealer issue. My opinion could very easily be changed with a good dealer. But I had a few too many bad experiences at the orange dealer down the road. I'm not a member of the "good ol' boy's club". I grew up on a 2000+ acre farm, but that's hours from where I live now and my name means nothing. Because my name means nothing at the local dealer they don't mind screwing me over...and they've done it 1 too many times for me to grace their doors again. I have an Agco dealer a bit closer that treats me jist the same as the guy the spends $50k+ there every year.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:13:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#14]
Dug out and cleaned up an old stump pile on my farm.  I don't have a "before" pic, but it looked like the stump pile in the foreground in this pic:

View from the other direction.  My home is visible upper left.  What you can't see are the 3-4 deer just standing there eating and looking at me while I work.  There are in the center of the pic, up near the tree line right about where the power pole is to the right of the tractor.

I got a bunch of landscape rocks out of it:

Pics of deer:

And a scenic shot from the top of the hill; you can see the deer under the power lines off to the left:

Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
It's been nice out (60-70 degrees and sunny) these last three days, and three days in a row, my 6yo asked if I'd take her for a ride on the tractor. It's tearing up the grass in a low swampy spot on the property, but if tractor rides make her happy, I guess I don't really need that grass back there anyway

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Loaded up the trailer. Heading to hunting club in the morning to tear down 3 deer stands. Tught fit with Skid steer, quad and pallets. Buddy will be bringing another trailer to load stands on....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:58:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Used my forks and man lift (modified IBC cage) to replace some burnt out crap Sams Club/Honeywell lights in my shop:

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I need to make one of those!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bansil:
I need to make one of those!
View Quote
Don't forget your safety support.  You can see it in the above pic off to the left, leaning against one of my work benches.  I raise the FEL/lift, then place the support, then slowly drop the FEL so it sits on the support, bearing most of the weight.  Defeats the biggest argument against using your FEL with a man lift:  a hydraulic failure dropping the FEL and man lift with you in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:35:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#24]
Yup, I have a 12in tall chunk of wood I place under my bed,then lower it down, when I'm getting fuel..dump beds kill a lot of like fels, guy a few hollers over died when he lifted the fel to replace a line...as soon as he cracked the line the fel dropped... he was an old korean war vet.

So, today I moved a bunch of crap around...also found out how heavy the bucket is. Tried to move the fire pit on 1 pallet and forks attached to the bucket...950# 36in from pivot didn't work, so 2 pallets
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Mounted some hooks to move 7ft box blade up to the goat shed to cut off 1ft from each side

Attachment Attached File

That went over like beans in chili...

So I took off the bucket and put my blank QR mount on..
Lifted it right up!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Don't forget your safety support.  You can see it in the above pic off to the left, leaning against one of my work benches.  I raise the FEL/lift, then place the support, then slowly drop the FEL so it sits on the support, bearing most of the weight.  Defeats the biggest argument against using your FEL with a man lift:  a hydraulic failure dropping the FEL and man lift with you in it.
View Quote
Yep, I had an older tractor with FEL.   When the pressure line decided to let go, it came down instantly, with full gravity force and zero resistance, like there weren't even any hydraulic lines at all.  I was in the seat, so no danger, but the tractor and I got drenched in oil, and I sure learned to never get under a bucket.  Bucket was empty, too, so it can happen any time, in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

A spring ritual, several loader buckets of rocks.  

We have a long row of field stones on the farm.  What I find interesting is the older parts of it have small stones, like golf ball size.  My theory is even the smaller rocks damaged late 1800’s/early 1900’s equipment, and/or small children were out there helping as well.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/434728/IMG_6669_jpeg-3172992.JPG

A spring ritual, several loader buckets of rocks.  

We have a long row of field stones on the farm.  What I find interesting is the older parts of it have small stones, like golf ball size.  My theory is even the smaller rocks damaged late 1800’s/early 1900’s equipment, and/or small children were out there helping as well.  

View Quote

You grow rocks also.....?

Grabbed a bucket of the youngsters myself...

Attachment Attached File

My wife said every year her and her brothers and sisters would walk the fields and get rocks...she swears they grow here...after 25 years, I can not dispute that claim
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/20240329_180219_jpg-3173029.JPG

My wife said every year her and her brothers and sisters would walk the fields and get rocks...she swears they grow here...after 25 years, I can not dispute that claim
View Quote

They are high in mineral content but the cook time takes eons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/20240329_180219_jpg-3173029.JPG

View Quote
That's weird. I also picked up two buckets of rocks today
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I was having a hard time leveling part of my yard...

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:57:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#32]
Originally Posted By jsriolo:

https://imgur.com/RadgKeD.jpeg
View Quote

Dude...bro'...ugh you can drop it off down here for free,I won't charge you at all delivery
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Dude...bro'...ugh you can drop it off down here for free,I won't charge you at all delivery
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jsriolo:

https://imgur.com/RadgKeD.jpeg

Unfortunately I don't think there will be much moving it - my tractor couldn't even lift it! I could barely skid it along the ground.

I am saving up boulders to make a retaining wall. I think that one will be on the first course.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
So I made a pile of dirt before lunch...
Attachment Attached File

Came from here
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is where I widened the driveway area for drainage
Attachment Attached File

....oh!

I checked the mail
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#36]
I rented a Harlie (Harley) rake over the weekend to smooth out my lawn and keep my mower from beating me to death during the mowing season:

After a couple hours, the chain drive cover lost its bolt and came off:

I couldn't find the original bolt, so I replaced it and within 10-15 minutes, it came loose again and the cover fell off.  The bolt came out like this:

I replaced the bolt with a Gr8 and so far, so good.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I moved some wire we wrapped tonight..Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I did road work on my one mile gravel road Sunday PM.  This is my part of the road, up near my neighbor, about a 1/4 mile from my house:

I call this section of the road Mudhole #2; it's in pretty good shape now:

I used my grader blade (the Harlie rake fell apart like a cheap watch) on my neighbor's driveway.  I also did the driveway to the right of this pic, but I didn't take any photos of it.  I got $50 each for about an hour's work; that $100 almost paid about half of the $180 for the rent of the Harlie rake.

Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I was definitely not moving cocaine all day

So wife is like I have a project,  cool, only the Lord knows what's going on....I think

So I hand loaded a ton of pallets by hand, I did have helpers....I got one, for... they each helped to get one...the last 50? By my self,, they went to garden barn...the blue ones are 60# easy....Fuck me I'm sore...
Attachment Attached File

Some pallets...

Attachment Attached File

Moar....

Attachment Attached File

145 pallets later ,thank God I could use the tractor to unload them...

Women and etsy/hgtv/etc.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Ripped up an acre or so for sunflowers.  Old Ferguson cultivator with the chisels spread out evenly works well.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/434728/IMG_6721_jpeg-3181209.JPG

Ripped up an acre or so for sunflowers.  Old Ferguson cultivator with the chisels spread out evenly works well.

View Quote

Every time I see a pic of a JD 1050 I know whose post I'm seeing.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Mowed a little behind the yard where it gets a little swampy and the ZT was having issues. Thought I was going to be dragging the mower out of the mud more than once

After that, I took care of a few downed limbs. I still have two more (smaller) piles that need taken care of, but I was losing daylight. I also need to go around and take care of a few trash piles one of the previous owners left in some of the treelines. I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, maybe this year is the year

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#44]
New 8R 370 for 2024 planting this year.  Will be hooked up to a DB60 24 Row 30" exact emerge high speed planter
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Every time I see a pic of a JD 1050 I know whose post I'm seeing.  
View Quote

Same.  I bet that Yanmar was singing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By stretch415:
New 8R 370 for 2024 planting this year.  Will be hooked up to a DB60 24 Row 30" exact emerge high speed planter
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66664/img-3181746.jpg
View Quote

Sweet! How many hours do you expect to log on it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By stretch415:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66664/img-3181746.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  What do those run?  $425k or so?

Continuation of my goat fence project. Got one side done. Gonna be another couple days work just to finish the fence…and then to build them a shed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Sweet! How many hours do you expect to log on it?
View Quote

Running it on 1000 acres which is way overkill but hope to add land in years to come when retiring neighbors. Dad always said buy iron
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Nice!  What do those run?  $425k or so?

Continuation of my goat fence project. Got one side done. Gonna be another couple days work just to finish the fence…and then to build them a shed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_0066_jpeg-3182157.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/IMG_0065_jpeg-3182158.JPG
View Quote

Spot on. Snagged this one with 200 hours loaded out for $375k
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Planted 10 more fruit trees on Sunday and last night I collected the rocks from digging the holes, the BH made planting so much easier than a gas auger and shovel
Attachment Attached File
Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top