Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Why didn't you offset the "ladder" to one side or the other?  Then you could hold on to the bedside as you climb up?

I'm liking this project!!  I have a '97 F250 7.3 PSD the the stock bed is getting pretty crusty on.  I'm thinking about building a flatbed and then shooting bedliner over the whole truck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Been a shitty week working on the probate, reason for no offset was an idea of a possible "chute" to load a wheel barrel.

I will update with changes I am working on this weekend
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah tailgate is wayy to stupid heavy...needs to be fixed.

Great thing about wood decks is securing loads with screws, I needed to dump this load of wood from work. A couple screws into stops..
Attachment Attached File

Left me with this...
Attachment Attached File

After this:
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I will def. be redoing the tailgate, just to dang heavy. Hope to get more welding done over Christmas break from work if weather cooperates, all my days off have been slammed when it's nice.

Hope to look at and put offer in on the land adjacent to ours at the lake this weekend, we actually tried to buy it 2 years ago and they wouldn't sell it
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks their realtor is a real asshole, my realtor has delt with him in the past. We know the current owners and their hands are tied for another 11 months
... no worries right now because she has tricks up her sleeve
Actually walked it today, main reason is the driveway already roughed in that would mean NO visible roads on the front land

Will post pictures when we get it. Will probably be end of January due to weather and holidays

Tomorrow's mission is to find 1 pin....I found several per plot map, last one I need is 30* and change...209' from the known pin and I didn't have compass and no cell signal to google "compass app"
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Some realtors if you are buying/selling have you sign a contract that you can only use said realtor and no others for 1 yr. (It is in small print normally on 1st offer you put in, most people don't read they just sign)
It's BS and has to do with making sure they get a commission and dont waste their time. Ironically in TN the seller pays the commission, we have used ours several times so she knows we are serious and not just "test driving".(she doesn't have that yr stipulation either)

I explained this to a buddy at work who was looking for a small fixer upper and he jumped at first realtor he found (1st house he looked at) he wouldn't show him what he wanted because he wouldn't split commission with someone else, every time Stacy would give him a MLS number he would feed him shit.
I told Stacy he would have to wait until contract was done, he is now in a place he loves.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Havent done much other than use the truck for weekly dump runs, the weather has either rained or snowed every day I have had off (except one and I cruised the lake on the 'toon )

I am using the time to plan and gather parts, front and rear winches, lights, lift kit, airbags etc

Bought a front bumper, it's in Mamaws basement awaiting nicer weather

Attachment Attached File

Waiting on the plasma table to show up this spring, and I plan to re-do the interior behind the seats with a nice rack, shelf/table thing to hold everything ( I stopped what I was doing due to the finish wasnt what I wanted using a cut off wheel etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:15:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#14]
Finally got something done, out of necessity actually. Friend offered up a couple tons of aluminum for free, just gotta go get it. So 2 extra tires will carry load better.
Loaded up and heading to friends shop

Attachment Attached File

I didn't do duals to increase load capacity, I did it for stability and 4 tires will stay cooler than 2.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:10:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I used dual adapters, clean, wire brush, liberal red lock tight and tighten studs

My rear end is "full floating" so the weight is carried by the housing and not the axle like on semi floating 1/2 and 3/4 rear ends, I can pull the axles and leave tires/wheels on.

This company has been in business for a long time, I have been using these type adapters for over 25 years, they are billet steel and very heavy

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Southwest wheel
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Rear ends like D44, 10 bolt chevy's, your 8.8 (guessing) have an axle shaft that has splines on one end that go into your "carrier " other end has a bearing pressed onto it. It is held in the rearend housing with typically 4 bolts. If you break an axle the tire and axle can walk out. Causing bad things to happen, the weight of the vehicle is supported by the axle and not bearings/housing
Attachment Attached File

Notice on semifloat any extra leverage stresses the shaft and it can break...which means...welll...shiat falls off..bad juju

So a fullfloat has bearings much like the front of solid axle trucks that support the load, axle only turns the hub

Study picture...its good, any more questions?  Ask away

I will add that you can add axle retaining kits to some vehicles that if you break a shaft it wont leave vehicle just lean down

D35...oops, axle broke at carrier
Attachment Attached File

You can buy kits that retain the axle with the 4 bolts...work good.

BUT....full floating is 100% stronger becauae you have bigger bearings and typically 4x bearing surface...

Did I help or confuse....I need another glass of wine...or bed
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:41:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Wow!  
That's really cool.

So....how does one know if one has the floating thing happening?

I'm guessing I DON'T..not that I would seriously turn my old beater f150 into a dually.  Not worth it and no reason.

But I love knowing this stuff, so....guessing my truck is the 3/4 ton variety....

Yours is much heavier?
View Quote
Your f150 is a half ton and semi floating.
There used to be kits for converting almost anything into a dually, using 2 additional stock wheels. JC Whitney used to sell them. I've even seen old Jeep CJs with duallies.
Puting duals on semi floating axles probably just makes it more likely to have an axle shaft break. You can put load range E tires on it though. I have load range Es on my 150.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#22]
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Been awhile, kung-flu really screwed up last year working on truck and land.. now it's warming up need to get back on truck lost rear caliper, dumping fluid....so no brakes coming home from dump, I miss dual resivour master cylinders, every time I stop had to re fill it, it was goodfor 1 slow stop....thank God dump is only2 miles away

Got lots to finish up....

Where is work truck thread? Or did you retire
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#23]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Hells,  start a new.....post covid19 thread.....there is still shit to do/build and stuff to fab...heck @me and I will give you a mid 50's aged TN answer....I keep reading over the bee thread, I love honey ......but.... they love and taste my fear and feed off it. Actually all flying assholes hate me except honeybees.......
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Hello, so much to do still, funny how life gets in the way.

Going for lot #4 on Monday,  it is small pc 2.3 acres or so, that will give us another buffer against neighbors

Did have our yearly BOD meeting yesterday, 3 old farts stepped down for new blood, and I got voted in....the 3 of us that bitched the most about the old ways and how screwed up it was are now over watch, we are not part of the 4 officers.

Hope to start house build in spring, which means I need to get back on the ole girl.

Latest pic was using it to take master bedroom stuff to dump, came back from vacation and it flooded ,carpet, floor all wood furniture destroyed,  bed etc molded what a mess, like the big bed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I had forgotten all about this thread and then it popped back up in my feed. Awesome. Makes me want to build a dump truck…
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 7:35:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#29]
Hellz no kitty,

At the lake property! I is one hnic now, actually the 3 of us plus the president (not Donald )

Have been pushing away from the 45 year old good old Boyz government...they about shit when I demanded an internal audit!! Old folks be all like....yayaya...ughhh...yayaya....if you don't like the job we're doing......

I stood and said "an audit is not about a person or two people, it is about a system and this on sucks and doesn't work, then I smacked the table like a gavel "  that is apparently what got me on the committee with no nays

Of course I was wearing my Trump hat, a blue flowered Hawaiian shirt....it was a show of force almost, past 45years maybe6 or 7 property owners at them, this year we Busted ass informing people of it. We had 60 of the 62 property owners there.

After about 4 hrs, the oldest member, he bought 1st pc, stood up and addressed the group, he was proud, this was 1st meeting in 45 years that had a good impact etc,etc.

So 62 sounds like alot BUT almost all families have multiple lots,, actually 75% have 2 we have 3 hoping for 4th.

We also unanimously passed a no penalty etc for combining lots , so everyone there is planning it, so it will go from 62 lots to maybe 25 lots.

It was interesting
Anyone have question I can try to answer people's curiosity
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Kitty, thank you for the kind words and sympathy, we lost nothing we can't replace,  except the 1950 art deco 8ft drawer thing, have had it for 20+ years...it was neat not our style though just old. Water wicked up legs, popping veneer,  dried, cracked

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:14:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#33]
And I thought, "why doesn't someone with a truck like THIS ONE that @Bansil built (or bought) make deliveries of "medium amounts" of materials, for a reasonable fee, and make good money?

Now...I have not run the numbers on this. I have no idea what a tiny dump truck costs.  

But I know where I live, gravel delivered is insanely expensive.

Anyhow, this "small dump truck" thing seems like a niche that is not getting filled in most places.

Just sayin.

View Quote

I think dump trailers kinda killed the demand for a truck like the OP’s.  Even with dump trailers being pretty pricey in this great Biden Era we’re in, generally, it’s still cheaper than keeping an extra truck up and going.  Granted, the truck can still be used to do other truck stuff, but it seems normally the bed is pretty tall with the lift under it, so they’re not real ideal for hand loading stuff in the bed.  

That’s not meant as a knock to the OP, I still think it’s a cool project.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#34]
Yeah it's handy, just need to find time to finish it

And dump trailer comment I believe is spot on, that way people can haul stuff with out having weighted tags etc that a dump bed could cause and 1/2 ton truck can haul a trailer

Used it Friday to haul 3200# of topsoil for the wifey, if you buy a whole pallet of 70 bags @ 45# you get .50 cents off a bag, kicker is you can not bust pallet on premises....so this leaves 90% or so of people that can't do this

And with all the building going on you can't find topsoil buy the truck or the scoop anywhere reasonable distance
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#35]
So another thread made me think of this one.

IN that other thread, it was brought up that a person had paid a lot of money to get a small amount of gravel delivered.

And I said that customers who needed "a medium amount" of gravel (or sand or whatever), were kind of screwed, because either they paid a stupid amount of money to buy bagged gravel from Home Depot, or they paid a stupid amount of money to have a little bit of gravel delivered via dump truck.

And I thought, "why doesn't someone with a truck like THIS ONE that @Bansil built (or bought) make deliveries of "medium amounts" of materials, for a reasonable fee, and make good money?

Now...I have not run the numbers on this. I have no idea what a tiny dump truck costs.  

But I know where I live, gravel delivered is insanely expensive.

Anyhow, this "small dump truck" thing seems like a niche that is not getting filled in most places.

Just sayin.

View Quote

If you look around you can probably find a guy with a "5 yard" dump truck, that's a short truck with 1 rear axle, but normally a 2 ton truck rather than a 1 ton. In my area there are a bunch of guys advertising on craigslist with pictures of their brodozer towing a dump trailer saying they'll deliver gravel. They're probably operating illegally, no commercial insurance, over weight, no CDL, no truck plates.
IMO, the reason you don't see very many people operating 5 yards for hire is because it costs just about as much to operate a 5 yard as a 10 yard.
I've got a 5 yard sitting here right now that we quit driving. The insurance company was always giving us trouble. It's kinda funny they say they are scared to insure dump trucks "because stuff is always falling off and hitting cars", but they don't care if you tow a dump trailer behind your pickup.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:14:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#36]
So we used the truck yesterday as a mobile power station as we built a ramp for her mom to get into the house.

This was the source, installed it a few years ago.
Attachment Attached File

Since diesel is $6 a gallon and gas is $4.40, we used wifes car to charge/maintain the aux truck battery
Attachment Attached File

It ran a miter saw, skil saw, drills, 4.5 grinder etc.....

Also picked up a 50x96 trailer for her, new tires and ramps...it was put out for sale down the road and wife saw him chaining it to light pole, got the number and she has her "she trailer"
Attachment Attached File

And the ramps are actually 7/8 x 14 inch walnut
Attachment Attached File

So they will be cutting boards instead,  I will make ramps out of pine or oak 🤔

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 6:07:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#37]
This 89* is BS.....used truck all day for power and hauling, got ramp done, and a set of temp steps to get certificate of occupancy...more BS...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I’m glad this thread came back up. Keep with the updates. So I take it you got the lot from the people with the asshole realtor and are now working on another. Or was that number 4.
Nice ramp. I tried to make one to my shed and it ended up way to short and steep.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:33:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#39]
No this is part of our "farm", of course he tried to buy it off her mom, not knowing we owned it

We are leaving the 3 lake lots alone at this time, it went from $85 sq ft in 2019 for new construction to $276 a sq ft Jan. 2022

The ramp is 20' long and 4ft wide and easy to push a wheel chair up.

1st ramp I made 10 years ago at her moms is way too steep at 10ft long and 3 steps high
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I will post a few pictures as we go along, since we are "powering" mods with the truck... if it's okay with folks and mod.

So we are not to able to move in for a couple more weeks, they gave us a master key to work on it as long as we don't do whatever they have on lists....so let's start by modifying brand new cabinets in butlers pantry

We have done this before, it'll be fine. 12x36x42 cabinets.

This was in the way, so undo pocket hole screws.
Attachment Attached File

I then sanded the back edge of board, top and bottom so it lightly wedges and you can't see a gap, gave wife a couple drills with marked depths and screws. She clamped and reinstalled.

This is factory setup
Attachment Attached File

See no gap at top and bottom
Attachment Attached File

Moded out

You can see filler here, we are both right handed and we always open right then left
Attachment Attached File

That is a 42" counter ht, with 42"uppers and she is 5'8", I am 72" and plenty head clearance 9ft plus flat ceilings.

Got more to do, before we move in....off to next cabinets.
Attachment Attached File

Enjoy our adventures
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#43]
Lol,
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Amazing it's been 2 years, still haven't finished the truck plan to finish this summer

Started the year with getting a tractor to clean this property up.
Attachment Attached File

Started at the barn, the B2601's home.

Before, 30 years of farm crap.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Settled down for her 1st nights sleep, after tearing out the old stalls for the Alpacas, we had
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#45]
So much easier to use the truck than to make 10 trips 1200 feet

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Started on the back yard disaster we have lived with for 2 years

Attachment Attached File

Draining the yard after 2 months of rain, 2 feet or so, It trenched it and removed 9+ inches of water. I have about 2 feet of dirt to move to get it sloped and draining.

Attachment Attached File

R14 tires...soupy mess

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#47]
The recent Ford snowplow renovation thread had me thinking about your thread a few days ago.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Are you going to put a tile at the base of that bank?

View Quote

Plan right now is 3 drains and solid pvc sloped under ground and out into the field in a mini waterfall, creek looking thing.Attachment Attached File

This is solid clay and it won't drain into the soil
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
The recent Ford snowplow renovation thread had me thinking about your thread a few days ago.
View Quote

Still have to put lift in, paint it, install both winches, lights and weld the front bumper together...then I can get rid of the storage unit
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top