BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreatDane:

I think the part about knowing you need to take a day off is possibly the most important thing about this whole process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think the part about knowing you need to take a day off is possibly the most important thing about this whole process.

Originally Posted By missme:
Yep, be careful! You are doing an amazing job, but you definitely set a tough pace for yourself.

I follow your thread not just to ooh and ahh over your projects and builds, but also to motivate myself to knock out whatever piddly chore or project I have been procrastinating on!

My 'vacation' has certainly taken a toll...... I have shared all that I have done with the shop, but very little that has been done in the addition. That has been done after I finish the shop work...... I definitely need to go back to work so I can rest a bit.

Seriously though, I have been pushing so hard because I have a deadline for the storage container I have on my property to be moved before bad weather sets in....
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Spending two weeks in Island Park, ID.

Love it here
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#3]
The final push today ( with the help of my buddy) and I was able to get all three ridge beams up and braced …..

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

In the last two pictures you can see that we also were able to install one of the three remaining top plates on the back wall before we called it a day!

All and all I fell short of my goal but I have three weekends left to finish the remaining work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Incredible work. I really enjoy your updates and following along.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TheJMan1:
Incredible work. I really enjoy your updates and following along.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Got back to the shop project today and was able to put up the second 10’ top plate ……

Attachment Attached File

Then I pulled out my wood lathe and started making wood pegs and was able to peg several of the cross bracing…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I hope to get the 16’ top plate done tomorrow and installed and then I am going to try to finish the rest of the cross bracing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Really amazing progress. I know our circumstances are different, but when I see what you do in a day, and how little I get done it's inspiring and depressing. Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Fantastic progress! As others have said, knowing when to whoah and when to go is an important skill to doing stuff on your own. Loving the joinery and pegs, considering doing some of the same for our next building project from milled timber.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Amazing work and thank you so much for the updates.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The final top plate is in place…..it actually went easier than I thought it would and only took about 15 minutes of figuring once I got it up to the loft.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Gonna take a lunch break and then return and continue with the cross braces and pegs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Refresh my memory, what's that building for?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
Refresh my memory, what's that building for?
View Quote

Originally it was going to be a house for my mom. We went a different direction for her and now it is going to be a shop for me. This is the 12x32 section. I will finish the 8x32 section on the front side next year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#13]
Yesterday, amongst all the rain showers, I pulled one of the large logs from the gully behind the cabin and milled 9 of the 15 - 4x6x15’ rafters for the cabin….
Attachment Attached File

I also dropped the other 6 trees that will complete the remaining rafters.

This morning I got up and finished all of the wood pegs and diagonal supports for the shop…

Attachment Attached File

I then moved on and was able to fit 8 and install 6 of the rafters before I called it for the evening….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tomorrow weather permitting I will mill the remaining rafters and get them fit and installed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great David.  I'm assuming that is a loft over half of the shop.  Just out of curiosity how much room will there be from floor to bottom of shop joists, looks to be 7 or 8 feet?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks great David.  I'm assuming that is a loft over half of the shop.  Just out of curiosity how much room will there be from floor to bottom of shop joists, looks to be 7 or 8 feet?
View Quote

The top of the joist is 8' so below is approximately 7'6.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Day 22…I just added it up today!

I milled, fit, and put up all but one of the remaining rafters today. Everything is roughly fit. I just need to pick up some 8” log screws, at work tomorrow, to anchor the rafters to the top plate.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
This may have been covered earlier, and it may not even be a problem for you, I don't know.

Looking at those pictures, all I can think of is how many critters are going to wind up under that floor with all that room between the ground and the floor. Are you planning to seal it off? If so, how?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]
This may have been covered earlier, and it may not even be a problem for you, I don't know.

Looking at those pictures, all I can think of is how many critters are going to wind up under that floor with all that room between the ground and the floor. Are you planning to seal it off? If so, how?
View Quote

I will eventually put a skirt, of some kind around it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Incredible work, especially for two days worth! Thank you for taking thr time to take pictures and then post the updates. That alone costs quite a bit of time throughout each day of work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By A_G:
Incredible work, especially for two days worth! Thank you for taking thr time to take pictures and then post the updates. That alone costs quite a bit of time throughout each day of work.
View Quote

Taking the pics is the easiest part…..🤪
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

View All Quotes
Incredible work, especially for two days worth! Thank you for taking the time to take pictures and then post the updates. That alone costs quite a bit of time throughout each day of work.

Easy, sure, but time consuming and often a hassle too. After a long day of working and accomplishing so much, having to upload pictures and type captions can be a bear too. Again, thank you for all the posts and inspiration.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Easy, sure, but time consuming and often a hassle too. After a long day of working and accomplishing so much, having to upload pictures and type captions can be a bear too. Again, thank you for all the posts and inspiration.
View Quote

Thank you, and everyone else, for all of your encouragement!! I really mean it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I spent the last two rainy days felling trees and milling planks for the roof of the shop…..
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Three big logs later and I have most of the roof planks ready to go….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Weather permitting I will install it all tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Craftsmanship.

So much craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#26]
That's some beautiful wide planks!

What do you do with all the branches and offshoots that you cut off the log? Are they chipped for animal bedding or burned? Sorry if I missed this question before.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
That's some beautiful wide planks!

What do you do with all the branches and offshoots that you cut off the log? Are they chipped for animal bedding or burned? Sorry if I missed this question before.
View Quote

I will chip up the branches for bedding, mulch for pathways, and composting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#28]
The weather was great so I kicked it in overdrive and finished the roof today…..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#29]
After the planks were up I was able to get 90% of the underlayment down…
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also removed all the temp supports and am ready to move on to the hip bracing, window and door posts next weekend….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow.

Guess how much I got done today.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow.

Guess how much I got done today.
View Quote

Just means you can get more done tomorrow. Git crackin'!

Superb work and presentation, OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, I'm just a broken record at this point.  The joinery looks awesome and your progress is very impressive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#33]
It’s been a busy couple of days…..

Cut the side braces and installed them yesterday…
Attachment Attached File

This morning I picked up a couple logs from the neighbor and milled the planking for the loft and then installed it…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I sometimes can't believe you're doing better than 95% of this by yourself.

Will the cupping of the boards have a negative impact?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I sometimes can't believe you're doing better than 95% of this by yourself.

Will the cupping of the boards have a negative impact?
View Quote

It shouldn't. I only have one screw down the center of each board on floor joist. I will eventually pull them up, flip them over and then screw them down properly. This is just the 'subfloor' so I will come back next year when the other side is built and put a whole other layer of planks over this one in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#36]

It shouldn't. I only have one screw down the center of each board on floor joist. I will eventually pull them up, flip them over and then screw them down properly. This is just the 'subfloor' so I will come back next year when the other side is built and put a whole other layer of planks over this one in the opposite direction.
View Quote

What is your “guesstimate” for capacity of your floor system?

I built a sleeper system in one of my barns with galvanized tubes as the sleepers on the ground. Approx 4’ between sleepers and 2x6 on the flats on top.
It’s springy……but I’m not walking on rocks!!

My table saw goes on a piece of plywood for stability.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:

What is your “guesstimate” for capacity of your floor system?

I built a sleeper system in one of my barns with galvanized tubes as the sleepers on the ground. Approx 4’ between sleepers and 2x6 on the flats on top.
It’s springy……but I’m not walking on rocks!!

My table saw goes on a piece of plywood for stability.
View Quote

When complete I will have 2-2.5" of solid wood over the 5x7 floor joist 32" on center. I think it will handle anything that I may place on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#38]
I spent the day sheeting the shop( some of which is temporary). I was able to get half of the shop done and one trailer load of ‘stuff’ out of the storage shed and under cover for now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I am just filling the lower space at the moment so I can get the storage unit emptied by next weekend. I will finish sorting everything and then get it stowed in the loft so I can begin setting up the shop this winter.

Edit- the far back wall will have a large window( which is actually a sliding glass door- 4’x8’) installed eventually when I work out all the details.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Great progress, again. Wow.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Looking amazing! Looks like you're getting it sealed off before fall/winter weather sets in too.

I'm incredibly jealous of your sourced wood. We are slowly clearing out timber and using anything above 6" for a shed and it is tedious work milling up small logs for very little in return.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:
Looking amazing! Looks like you're getting it sealed off before fall/winter weather sets in too.

I'm incredibly jealous of your sourced wood. We are slowly clearing out timber and using anything above 6" for a shed and it is tedious work milling up small logs for very little in return.
View Quote

It most certainly is tedious! My mill will definitely need some TLC this winter. (Total replacement of all bearings, belts, and bushing)

Not to mention the wear and tear on me…. Lol!
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Yesterday I roughed in the framing for the remaining sheeting and the door….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Then today I finished the sheeting on the front and back and got the storage building emptied and it scheduled to be picked up tomorrow…..

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Tomorrow I should be able to finish the end wall sheeting and then the house wrap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#43]
What you've done here is nothing short of amazing!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheJMan1] [#44]
Looks fantastic David!
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:

Looks fantastic David!

Thank you!

Today, while waiting for the guy to come pick up the storage unit I pulled my front door and replaced it with a new solid core slab that I picked up at work over a year ago….

Attachment Attached File

I pulled the IGU (glass) from my old front door and made a new frame for it….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I then roughed in the glass on the new door and sealed it. All that is left is to install the trim when I decide what it will be.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:47:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Amazing, amazing progress and how much you get done between updates, which isn't long!
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow, great job, especially for one person.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Went through the whole thread - I wish my grandfather was alive to see this. He would be very appreciative of your woodworking skills, being a VERY old school carpenter, even before he built hospitals in France with the AEF during WWI. He was the man who taught me how to swing a hammer. All I can say is to echo everyone else - WOW. I am deeply impressed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Any chance we can get a panoramic view of your place?

A comparison with your original pics would be cool too.

Tha ks for keeping us updated over the years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ll see what I can do.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top