BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
Any chance we can get a panoramic view of your place?

A comparison with your original pics would be cool too.

Tha ks for keeping us updated over the years.
View Quote

This is the view of my cabin area from the driveway….

Attachment Attached File

They picked up the rented storage unit Monday.

This is the view from the shop mill area….

Attachment Attached File

If you look to the left passed the mill you can just make out then a k of the cabin on the other side of the wooded gulley.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I finished the end wall and the house wrap on the shop today….. all that is left is to cut the eave boards and rough in the temporary door.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Want to take a trip to Southern California and get one or four of my projects finished up, or even show me how you get so much done by yourself?
Yes, yes, I know, southern CA is an immediate hell no.

Looking great, thanks for the update. Also it was nice to see the panoramic view of the property, helps with context.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been just 4 years ago that you posted the pictures of a little field surrounded by some trees. It is amazing what you have done in such a short time AND with such a high level of craftsmanship.
Congratulations. and Thank you for sharing your build with us.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
It's been just 4 years ago that you posted the pictures of a little field surrounded by some trees. It is amazing what you have done in such a short time AND with such a high level of craftsmanship.
View Quote

I wanted to echo this. I started following this thread back when you were doing videos, and I understand why you can't anymore. I'm just happy that you are able to still post so many pictures with descriptions of how it's going! If it ever slows down this winter I'd love if you could revisit the chickens and pigs, how that's going and anything else you're able to share. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By A_G:
Want to take a trip to Southern California and get one or four of my projects finished up, or even show me how you get so much done by yourself?
Yes, yes, I know, southern CA is an immediate hell no.

Looking great, thanks for the update. Also it was nice to see the panoramic view of the property, helps with context.
View Quote

SoCal is definitely not on the travel plans for the foreseeable future…..🤪

All I could show you is how I just pop the ear buds in, hit play on my audible app and do what needs to be done. Currently going back through the Aubrey/Machurin series.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
View Quote

Originally Posted By MapMonger:

I wanted to echo this. I started following this thread back when you were doing videos, and I understand why you can't anymore. I'm just happy that you are able to still post so many pictures with descriptions of how it's going! If it ever slows down this winter I'd love if you could revisit the chickens and pigs, how that's going and anything else you're able to share. Thanks again!
View Quote

Thank you both for putting forth the effort to follow this whole trip so far. Hopefully next year I will begin to Finish the cabin exterior ( and interior) and then of course start some new projects that I have on my agenda.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Today was basically a ‘clean up’around the cabin day.

Attachment Attached File

I pulled all the old logs remainsout and moved to the mill area and then chipped all the leftover branches for winter bedding….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also had three separate slash pile burning as well behind the chicken coop area. Remnants from last years projects.
The cold officially hits this week so winterizing is the new priority for the foreseeable future.

As an aside I also added some LED lights to the tractor for the obvious reason that the stock headlights are terrible on the tractor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:
Today was basically a ‘clean up’around the cabin day.
View Quote

Clean up around the homestead days don't make for the sexiest content, but (at least in my case) they sure are a good way to tie up a whole lot of loose ends, reorganize and set yourself up for a fresh restart on the next work day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Still working on winterizing around the cabin….

But I thought I would show you some of the progress that my mom has been making in her addition to the cabin.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

She has steadily been working on her built in wardrobes and bookcases and now that I got it fully insulated she will begin working on her desk and bed area.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow!

Amazing work and progress on behalf of your mom.

I actually got some work done today, and will this weekend, so there's that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Great job!
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#13]
Came down with a head cold over the weekend and didn’t get many pics of the continuing ‘winterization’ projects that went on. We had a pretty good cold spell so a lot of small projects needed completing….

Today at work we were slow so I started a new pig watering project that I hope will take us through the winter…..

Attachment Attached File

I picked up a 40 gal rubber trough and framed it using scrap stickers and plywood from work.
Attachment Attached File

I threaded in some pvc fittings and sealed it completely…. This will be the drain line.

Attachment Attached File

Four layers of one inch foam board and a couple leftover bats of R19 insulation all around….

Attachment Attached File

…and some plywood on the sides.

Attachment Attached File

I ran out of light before I could fit the top pieces.

The fill line will run directly from my pond. It’s a 3/4” poly pipe that ran all last year….. it will fill from the top and the 1” drain line will keep the level of water about 4” below the rim and redirect the water back to the gully. The splashing effect /swirling motion of the water from the feed line should keep the surface active enough to prevent hard freezing when it is set up in their covered pen. At least that is what I am hoping for.

Time will tell….

ETA: it will be completely waterproofed and sealed when I am done.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#14]
The pig watered is on hold as the pond is too low at this time to use for supply…. Next year I will bury feed lines and have a frost free valve for supply to them…..

Friday and Saturday were mostly more winter prep and clean up. Had some bad wind yesterday and spent most of it securing tarps, sheds, etc…

Today, after I located my motivation i planed,  cut and fit the cedar window trim for the addition….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Mom will finish sand and put a clear coat on them before I install them later.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#15]
That window trim looks nice!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you using pine or hardwood for the pegs?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#17]
That window trim looks nice!!
View Quote

Thanks buddy! I will try to get better ics when it is finished.
Originally Posted By lokt:
Are you using pine or hardwood for the pegs?
View Quote

I used either red fir or tamarack for the pegs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving !

Spent yesterday and today working on the hoop house. I am moving it in front of the chicken run to give them a covered shelter for the chickens….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I am trying the ‘wiggle’ wire method of attaching the plastic to the hoops to see if they are more durable.

Attachment Attached File

The aluminum channel is screwed to the pipe and the wire holds the plastic in place.

Time will tell!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:36:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#20]
Finished the greenhouse for the chickens ….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

…. Well, I still need to secure it at the bottom but that is a a quick fix for next weekend. This will be there winter scratch area. I will probably add some nesting boxes but that is about it.

My big projects are done for the year!

The winter is mostly plowing and maintaining/ fixing weather related mishaps. Also, I have started my ‘training’ for Cola Warrior and hopefully the up coming APC Warfighter Challenge in the Spring.

I have a couple Winter camping/backpacking/snowshoeing trips in the works as well.

I will post pertinent updates as they come….. I hope you all have a Blessed Holiday Season and don’t worry if updates are spread out a little further.
I am not abandoning the thread!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Finished the greenhouse for the chickens ….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1617_jpeg-3041300.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1618_jpeg-3041301.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1619_jpeg-3041302.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1620_jpeg-3041310.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1621_jpeg-3041321.JPG

…. Well, I still need to secure it at the bottom but that is a a quick fix for next weekend. This will be there winter scratch area. I will probably add some nesting boxes but that is about it.

My big projects are done for the year!

The winter is mostly plowing and maintaining/ fixing weather related mishaps. Also, I have started my ‘training’ for Cola Warrior and hopefully the up coming APC Warfighter Challenge in the Spring.

I have a couple Winter camping/backpacking/snowshoeing trips in the works as well.

I will post pertinent updates as they come….. I hope you all have a Blessed Holiday Season and don’t worry if updates are spread out a little further.
I am not abandoning the thread!
View Quote

Happy holidays, and enjoy your time away! We'll be here when you get back!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
@Davidrw51590 This is an amazing thread!  I’ve been on ARFCOM almost 20 years and can’t believe it when I stumble upon a thread like this.  I’ve looked at 26 pages of pictures and am inspired by your work.  I moved from GA to northern Utah about six years ago.  We love it out here.  It looks like you are the kind of guy that native Idahoan people would gladly welcome to their state.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#23]
OP - wouldn't snow crush that plastic chicken house?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope your Thanksgiving was a good one OP, and I appreciate the updates.

I will echo the question in the post above mine, and also wonder about predators being able to easily tear through the plastic and get to the chickens?

City boy here, I have no experience with this sort of stuff.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
OP - wouldn't snow crush that plastic chicken house?
View Quote

I hope your Thanksgiving was a good one OP, and I appreciate the updates.

I will echo the question in the post above mine, and also wonder about predators being able to easily tear through the plastic and get to the chickens?

City boy here, I have no experience with this sort of stuff.
View Quote

I have had this up the previous two winters and the snow just sloughs off the side. I make sure that I keep the snow shoveled around the sides so it doesn’t build up to high. However the snow adds another layer of defense on the lower portion.

This year I replaced the 10 mil plastic with a 16 mil string reinforced tarp so it should hold up even better.

As to predators, the chickens will still be in their big coop at night, however, (knock on wood) I have had zero issues with predators since I have been here and the chickens have been free ranging the entire time during the days.

I have no raccoons, possum, or any of the other main culprits. Weasels are very rare and only one coyote has ever come to this side of the property and didn’t last very long. That’s not to say bad things can’t happen but I do the best with what I have.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Surprised predators aren't a real nuisance there, hopefully it stays that way. Also, looking at the shape of the structure and remembering that the cover material is smooth it makes sense snow would slide off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#27]
Surprised predators aren't a real nuisance there, hopefully it stays that way. Also, looking at the shape of the structure and remembering that the cover material is smooth it makes sense snow would slide off.
View Quote

It also will warm to about 65’ when the sun is out even if it’s below freezing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I am a little jealous of your soil.  I am south of you a bit (Adams County) and my place is all rock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Glad to see the thread still going. I am surprised to see all your dead Pine, most of my dead/dying is Fir.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Glad to see the thread still going. I am surprised to see all your dead Pine, most of my dead/dying is Fir.
View Quote

Yeah it started slow, but after my neighbors logged their property  a year and a half ago it really accelerated….. I am getting some dead fir as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Hope you had a good Christmas OP, happy new year to you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Happy New Years to everyone! I hope you all had a blessed and happy holiday season!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Happy New Years to everyone! I hope you all had a blessed and happy holiday season!!
View Quote

you too David
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Happy New Years!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Hope the arctic weather hasn't been too bad.  No damage to structures or animals.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wavejim:
Hope the arctic weather hasn't been too bad.  No damage to structures or animals.
View Quote

It’s been a bit of a challenge but I planned and got things fairly dialed in to where I did not freeze up and nothing broke…..….. yet.

Hope everyone  faired well throughout this stretch of global warming!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I figured that i better give the thread a bump.

Update:

This winter had been WAY too mild and leaves me worried about the impending fire season..... not much I can do but wait and see.

I went to and placed 6th in the Cola Warrior NW 5 a couple weeks ago. VERY happy as I placed 24th last year. Another awesome event hosted BMSMB and Splat2013.

'Spring' mud has already arrived and is making everything even more difficult earlier....yay!!

Waiting on parts for mill so I can get back to milling as early as soon as possible since I have several more projects planned on top of finishing the shop.....stay tuned!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and I will be back to posting when the building season kicks into high  gear.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#38]
This winter had been WAY too mild and leaves me worried about the impending fire season.....

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Good to see you back OP, looking forward to updates.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Today was finally dry enough, after a really beautiful week, to get a few maintenance issues completed.

Over the winter a wind storm knocked over my solar panel rack so today I set a new one that’s a little sturdier.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Depending on the weather this next week I will most likely begin work on the root cellar.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice! Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#42]
What size is your solar setup?  What do you have for an inverter and battery bank?  I've been starting to look into a setup for our cabin, for now I run a 2200w Honda for power.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
What size is your solar setup?  What do you have for an inverter and battery bank?  I've been starting to look into a setup for our cabin, for now I run a 2200w Honda for power.
View Quote

My system is ever evolving…..

Right now I have

- 3- 200w and 4-100w panels tied together with a solar panel junction box.

-they feed a Victron MPPT 100/ 50 charge controller feeding the batteries

- 6 AGM 100Ah batteries, with 6 more that I have yet to hook up.

-3500w pure sine wave inverter runs what little electric that I use ( WiFi, computers, cordless tool charging, etc….)

- I also have a Powermax 100 amp converter/charger that I use to charge my battery bank when my GenMax 6000 propane generator is running.

I will be upgrading my inverter, adding more 200w panels and putting the other 6 batteries online this year. Future plans include 6 more batteries in the future as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#44]
- 6 AGM 100Ah batteries, with 6 more that I have yet to hook up.
View Quote

Assume you're talking 12 volt system?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks.  We don't use much electricity.  All LED bulbs, a couple in the cabin, sauna and outhouse which draw almost nothing.  The coffee pot, toaster, microwave and heater in the outhouse are the big draws.  With the 2200w generator you can only use one of those appliances at a time.  The outhouse heater and light are on a switch in the cabin.  Turn it on 2 minutes before you go out just to take the chill out of the air.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#46]
All of my lighting is 12v. I use 12v usb plugs to charge my phone etc..... I use no electric heating elements for anything off my system. Cast iron makes a great toaster, and I do pour over coffee. All my appliances are propane as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#47]
All of my lighting is 12v. I use 12v usb plugs to charge my phone etc..... I use no electric heating elements for anything off my system. Cast iron makes a great toaster, and I do pour over coffee. All my appliances are propane as well.
View Quote

I've got Propane for the stove and woodstove for heating.  I percolate coffee or do a pour over when I'm alone.  My wife is in tuen to either Instant coffee, thus the microwave, or if drinking more the coffee maker.  I throw the decanter on the woodstove to keep it warm.  I put a gaslight in the fur shed so I don't need to run the generator during the spring trapping season.  In winter the generator is running more often with the reduced daylight.  

I've got to finish the door for the new wood/storage shed and then it'll be time to start planning out solar.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#48]
When I lived alone my solar system was small….. three 100 w panels and a 1500w inverter and three batteries.  After my mom moved out here I  basically doubled it and it works out good right now. I get a solid 8-10 hours out of my fully charged system.

The 100 amp converter/ charger was  a game changer in the winter when the sun is non existent. 4 hours of generator use keeps the solar availability the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I appreciate the info.  Not that I go through a lot but saving some gas and reduced maintenance for the generator would be nice.  Also handy would be able to turn on the inverter when I get to the cabin and fire up the lights right off the bat.  As it stands now, I've got to get everything unlocked then set up the generator and extended run tank.  Not that it's a lot of work but having lights as soon as we got there to unload instead of the family waiting on me would be handy.

We're having an early thaw here so hoping in May I can trench in conduit to the outbuildings and mitigate running extension cords when we get up there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice thread OP, just found it.   Subscribing.

You may have mentioned already but I haven’t read the whole thread yet.  What do you do about septic and water in the area?  

Keep up the good work!
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top