BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Question that may not fit in this thread.

If it doesn't, that's okay.   It's not something that is vital to my immediate safety or financial well being.

This is about "mixes" for small engines. Which means OIL put in GAS and run in the engine.  Which I do, but.....

Background (NOT THE QUESTION):
I admit that I only ACTUALLY understand how automotive engines (in their simplest form) work.  I understand internal combustion engines from battery/gas tank to ignition to old-fashioned carburetor to combustion chamber to camshaft and crankshaft and drive train to exhaust.   Basic "how cars work," which I learned when I was 13. (long time ago)

Small engines?  Yeah, I don't really understand those engines at a basic level.

So I know the oil is in the gas.  I don't understand this part. I don't understand how the oil lubes the small engine while it gets burned with the gas.

HOWEVER THAT IS NOT MY QUESTION.

My question is about oil mixes, and how those oil mixes might be utilized as in THIS post in another thread about chainsaws, where he references using a 45:1 mix rather than a 50:1 mix in order to help his older saws run better.  I do run a fair number of small engines, and I would be a better steward of those engines if I understood the oil mix and what it does, and why I should choose one over another.

SO:   This sparked a question for me because I bet the weight and/or mix of the oil might matter to older equipment, and THAT is of interest to me.

Any information is welcome, but "That doesn't fit here" is okay too.

View Quote

Going down to 1:45 means you’re increasing the amount of oil in the mixture.  1 part oil, 45 parts oil.

The theory behind this you’re not providing enough lubricity for the compression part of the engine.

However, there’s a number of things to think about.

How good is the oil?

High temp high shear of the oil?

How much carbon can your exhaust system handle?

How lean is your carb tuned? Remember as you increase oil - you’re decreasing the amount of fuel.  How hot is your engine running?  Etc.

Typically with a two stroke engine - just go with manufacturers recommendation. If you’re using a full synthetic two stroke oil - you can actually go a little lighter. And go 1:55 or such.

But, just go with oem.  Use a better oil.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#3]

That graphic is AWESOME!

So basically, the engine is so simple (two-stroke--up/down) that all the moving parts are IN that simple setup, and will therefore get lubed.

So even with older engines, you would say "use a really good oil" instead of "use more oil in the ratio"....is that right?

ETA:  That little chamber to the left of the piston....does that somehow allow a bit of oil into the crankshaft mechanism?

I don't see how that crankshaft part gets oiled in a two-stroke engine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/7127222B-3562-40FD-8DAD-97156CF01E07-2172073.gif

Going down to 1:45 means you’re increasing the amount of oil in the mixture.  1 part oil, 45 parts oil.

The theory behind this you’re not providing enough lubricity for the compression part of the engine.

However, there’s a number of things to think about.

How good is the oil?

High temp high shear of the oil?

How much carbon can your exhaust system handle?

How lean is your carb tuned? Remember as you increase oil - you’re decreasing the amount of fuel.  How hot is your engine running?  Etc.

Typically with a two stroke engine - just go with manufacturers recommendation. If you’re using a full synthetic two stroke oil - you can actually go a little lighter. And go 1:55 or such.

But, just go with oem.  Use a better oil.

That graphic is AWESOME!

So basically, the engine is so simple (two-stroke--up/down) that all the moving parts are IN that simple setup, and will therefore get lubed.

So even with older engines, you would say "use a really good oil" instead of "use more oil in the ratio"....is that right?

ETA:  That little chamber to the left of the piston....does that somehow allow a bit of oil into the crankshaft mechanism?

I don't see how that crankshaft part gets oiled in a two-stroke engine.

The fuel / air / oil mixture goes through the crank shaft area, and gets compressed by the crank shaft.

When it’s being compressed, the oil mixture lubricates the parts.

From there it’s pushed up into the combustion chamber. Then compressed again and ignited.  This is part of the “power” of a two cycle engine.

And yes, even for older engines. Just use a better oil.

That chamber moves the air / fuel / oil mixture from the compression chamber / crank shaft area, up to the combustion chamber.

The piston skirt naturally seals it off. The excess air/fuel/oil then lubricates the piston skirt and rings.  And gets re-added to the compression chamber on the stroke.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]

So...the mixture circulates through the whole (larger) chamber BEFORE it's compressed (or part of it is compressed) in the combustion chamber?

(Sorry, I don't know what the "larger" chamber would be called. I only know combustion chamber).

OH!  I see your edit.

You answered!. Thank you!

View All Quotes

The fuel / air / oil mixture goes through the crank shaft area, and gets compressed by the crank shaft.

When it’s being compressed, the oil mixture lubricates the parts.

From there it’s pushed up into the combustion chamber. Then compressed again and ignited.  This is part of the “power” of a two cycle engine.

And yes, even for older engines. Just use a better oil.

So...the mixture circulates through the whole (larger) chamber BEFORE it's compressed (or part of it is compressed) in the combustion chamber?

(Sorry, I don't know what the "larger" chamber would be called. I only know combustion chamber).

OH!  I see your edit.

You answered!. Thank you!

It’s supposed to be a gif I stole. But it didn’t work. So here’s the link to the site I tried to thieve it off of, since I’m a loser.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LeDMgJj1JAQ/U441X3g39aI/AAAAAAAAAT4/l_6Zb4pHpSU/s1600/Difference+Between+4+Stroke+and+2+Stroke+Engines1.gif

Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a really good gif.

So the "mix" comes in through that little gate.

It circulates through the crankshaft (compression?) chamber, then up to the combustion chamber, explodes, exhausts, repeat.

Got it.

Thank you!  You just explained small engines to me when nobody else ever has!

View Quote

Yep.

Pretty simple.  Just very sped up vs 4 stroke.

So as your compressing fuel/air.  You’re igniting what was in the combustion chamber.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#10]

The crankshaft within the "compression" chamber is making my head cock sideways a bit.  But I get it.  

View All Quotes

Yep.

Pretty simple.  Just very sped up vs 4 stroke.

So as your compressing fuel/air.  You’re igniting what was in the combustion chamber.

The crankshaft within the "compression" chamber is making my head cock sideways a bit.  But I get it.  

4 stroke

So you really don’t have the compression “stroke” in the combustion chamber that you do in the 4 stroke.
As well, the compressed fuel / air mixture in the 2 stroke, has to push the exhaust gases out. Because you don’t have an exhaust stroke.

So the crank shaft “compression chamber” has to have the power to push the exhaust out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Gotcha.

I understand 4-stroke.  I mean, I UNDERSTAND it, as much as a person can who does not work on engines regularly (I did tear down engines when I was a teenager, strange as that may seem, but that was a looooong time ago.) However, the 2-stroke engines have always been a head scratcher. I've never taken the time to understand them.  Never studied.  

This simple explanation is brilliant, honestly.  I kinda get it.  That's on a very elementary level of course.

*head-cocked thought*  It seems to me that this might make the engine run kind of *dirty* in that there is no exhaust stroke, and the exhaust has to happen at the same time as everything else.    I may be thinking wrong, and this is not a thread about small engines, so I don't want to jack the oil/grease thread with this.  But....you have done the best job of anybody I've ever known at explaining 2-stroke engine operation.
View All Quotes

4 stroke

So you really don’t have the compression “stroke” in the combustion chamber that you do in the 4 stroke.
As well, the compressed fuel / air mixture in the 2 stroke, has to push the exhaust gases out. Because you don’t have an exhaust stroke.

So the crank shaft “compression chamber” has to have the power to push the exhaust out.

Gotcha.

I understand 4-stroke.  I mean, I UNDERSTAND it, as much as a person can who does not work on engines regularly (I did tear down engines when I was a teenager, strange as that may seem, but that was a looooong time ago.) However, the 2-stroke engines have always been a head scratcher. I've never taken the time to understand them.  Never studied.  

This simple explanation is brilliant, honestly.  I kinda get it.  That's on a very elementary level of course.

*head-cocked thought*  It seems to me that this might make the engine run kind of *dirty* in that there is no exhaust stroke, and the exhaust has to happen at the same time as everything else.    I may be thinking wrong, and this is not a thread about small engines, so I don't want to jack the oil/grease thread with this.  But....you have done the best job of anybody I've ever known at explaining 2-stroke engine operation.

They do run dirty.

Which is why they smell like gas from the exhaust. As well the little mesh screens on the mufflers get plugged all the time.

It’s unburnt fuel and oil that is getting pushed out with the exhaust. Let alone just not having a complete combustion cycle.

To bring this back to oil, this is where your quality of oil comes into play as well.  A good oil will not just lubricate better, but also burn better in combustion.

From there you could play with richer fuel amounts.  So if you went from 1:50 to 1:60 or such - it’s actually a richer fuel environment because you have more gas / less oil.  This helps control the deposit formations and such, in theory.

Either way. I run the normal 1:50.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The bump reminded me I had a grease question for @Foxtrot08.

My Rhino SE6 rotary mower calls for NLGI 000 grease for the gearbox.  The mower is about 18 years old and has worked flawlessly.  Nothing has leaked out but thinking maybe I should change the grease?

Not finding the NLGI 000 easily. I think the closest I found was someone suggested a JD corn head grease awhile back when I did some searching.

Suggestions on finding 000 grease or an acceptable substitute?  Thanks much for all your educational posts!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sgtgrits:
The bump reminded me I had a grease question for @Foxtrot08.

My Rhino SE6 rotary mower calls for NLGI 000 grease for the gearbox.  The mower is about 18 years old and has worked flawlessly.  Nothing has leaked out but thinking maybe I should change the grease?

Not finding the NLGI 000 easily. I think the closest I found was someone suggested a JD corn head grease awhile back when I did some searching.

Suggestions on finding 000 grease or an acceptable substitute?  Thanks much for all your educational posts!!
View Quote

What part of Michigan are you in? I have a facility in Lansing. I can get / stock 000 grease.

Chances are the grease has oxidized significantly - becoming white and chalky. Plus it probably has a fair bit of moisture in it.

Whether or not it will affect literally world war 1 technology… who knows. Me personally? I’d probably clean it out and refill it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I inherited a grease gun from my dad labeled Stewart Warner  Alemite, who knows how old, works great.  I was looking at the tube and thinking it might be a good basis for a home built suppressor.  Not wanting to  use it, I saw a pair of returned amazon pistol grip specials at a cheap price and grabbed  them.   Well, first, they didn't work because the piston seal was too big to fit in a cartridge! second, the tube wall thickness was HALF the Alemet and instead of threads being machined, they were rolled.  Decided the tubes were too thin for my project,but managed to turn down the piston to make it work, but wow, i understand why they are so cheap
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 7:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#18]
Originally Posted By terry_tr6:
I inherited a grease gun from my dad labeled Stewart Warner  Alemite, who knows how old, works great.  I was looking at the tube and thinking it might be a good basis for a home built suppressor.  Not wanting to  use it, I saw a pair of returned amazon pistol grip specials at a cheap price and grabbed  them.   Well, first, they didn't work because the piston seal was too big to fit in a cartridge! second, the tube wall thickness was HALF the Alemet and instead of threads being machined, they were rolled.  Decided the tubes were too thin for my project,but managed to turn down the piston to make it work, but wow, i understand why they are so cheap
View Quote

Alemite makes the best grease guns period.

I have 5 of their 20v electric grease guns spread across my shops.

But not everyone wants a different power tool battery to charge.  So any of the major brand electric grease guns are great too.

I’m also an authorized Alemite distributor I believe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]

What part of Michigan are you in? I have a facility in Lansing. I can get / stock 000 grease.

Chances are the grease has oxidized significantly - becoming white and chalky. Plus it probably has a fair bit of moisture in it.

Whether or not it will affect literally world war 1 technology… who knows. Me personally? I’d probably clean it out and refill it.
View Quote

About an hour from Lansing between A2 and Brighton off US23.

Looked at it last year and the grease level and color looked ok.  Nothing jumped out at me leading me to believe it is terribly contaminated.  Mower has been stored indoors all its life if that makes a difference?

My plan has been to change it for a few years but since it maintained its level and could never find the 000 or a good substitute I didn't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Looked at it last year and the grease level and color looked ok.  Nothing jumped out at me leading me to believe it is terribly contaminated.  Mower has been stored indoors all its life if that makes a difference?

My plan has been to change it for a few years but since it maintained its level and could never find the 000 or a good substitute I didn't.
View All Quotes

I can get buckets of the right grease in Lansing if we don’t have it. I’ll check the specs and make sure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Here is a quick bulletin.

https://www.rhinoag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Information-Bulletin-IFB2018-01R-85W140.pdf

Basically, in 2011 they switched to 85w140.  Of course, they recommend lucas... it doesn't matter. 85w140's are pretty much all the same.

So clean out the old 000 grease, use 85w140. Otherwise, I have 000 grease in Lansing - ironically, counter part there is also an arfcommer, texted me and let me know that we have several pails of it up there.

Your choice, the 85w140 will probably be easier to source in smaller quantities.  (We also, of course, stock it.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#22]

https://www.rhinoag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Information-Bulletin-IFB2018-01R-85W140.pdf

Basically, in 2011 they switched to 85w140.  Of course, they recommend lucas... it doesn't matter. 85w140's are pretty much all the same.

So clean out the old 000 grease, use 85w140. Otherwise, I have 000 grease in Lansing - ironically, counter part there is also an arfcommer, texted me and let me know that we have several pails of it up there.

Your choice, the 85w140 will probably be easier to source in smaller quantities.  (We also, of course, stock it.)
View Quote

Wow!  That's perfect.  I've done many searches over the past few years and never came up with that bulletin. Thanks very much.

I think it makes most sense, since I only need enough for the one gearbox, for me to just get some 85w140 locally or via web order.  If I have trouble sourcing, I'll get back with you.

Now the trick will be to get the old grease out.  I do have a suction gun so hopefully it's not to thick.  I'll wait until it's much warmer out to attempt.  I've used kerosene to thin and flush my old Farmall tractor gearboxes.  Maybe I could do that?  Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]
@Foxtrot08

Given the potential grease shortage, is there a single grease gun grease that you'd recommend for a decent back stock that would cover automotive/marine/farm equipment applications? When I say marine, I'm talking about fresh water boating/boat trailers, not sailing the seven seas. But if there is a product that has an edge there to that crosses over feel free to share.

If you have a few name brands and models that are equivalents of what you'd recommend, please list them. I saw the recommendation for Mystik JT6 HT #2 but you noted it might not work for some of the applications I mentioned.

I'd like to pick up a couple of cases of grease tubes this week so any guidance would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Wow!  That's perfect.  I've done many searches over the past few years and never came up with that bulletin. Thanks very much.

I think it makes most sense, since I only need enough for the one gearbox, for me to just get some 85w140 locally or via web order.  If I have trouble sourcing, I'll get back with you.

Now the trick will be to get the old grease out.  I do have a suction gun so hopefully it's not to thick.  I'll wait until it's much warmer out to attempt.  I've used kerosene to thin and flush my old Farmall tractor gearboxes.  Maybe I could do that?  Thoughts?

Thanks again!
View All Quotes

Thanks again!

Fill it with some diesel, run it slowly for 30 seconds, drain it out.  Should get most of it out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
@Foxtrot08

Given the potential grease shortage, is there a single grease gun grease that you'd recommend for a decent back stock that would cover automotive/marine/farm equipment applications? When I say marine, I'm talking about fresh water boating/boat trailers, not sailing the seven seas. But if there is a product that has an edge there to that crosses over feel free to share.

If you have a few name brands and models that are equivalents of what you'd recommend, please list them. I saw the recommendation for Mystik JT6 HT #2 but you noted it might not work for some of the applications I mentioned.

I'd like to pick up a couple of cases of grease tubes this week so any guidance would be appreciated.
View Quote

You're asking for a lot out of a single grease. Really, there isn't a good answer. As a firearm is SIGNIFICANTLY different than bucket pin on a tractor.

If I had to pick one product out of everything that I know of:

Lubriplate Synxtreme HD2

It's a little bit light for tractors. But it makes it up being a full synthetic.  Yet still maintains GC-LB standards for wheel bearings.

Chances of you finding it off the shelf somewhere is going to be rare.

If you're looking for something off the shelf... It's going to be super tough for me to recommend something for ALL applications that you can find readily on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#26]

You're asking for a lot out of a single grease. Really, there isn't a good answer. As a firearm is SIGNIFICANTLY different than bucket pin on a tractor.

Lubriplate Synxtreme HD2

It's a little bit light for tractors. But it makes it up being a full synthetic.  Yet still maintains GC-LB standards for wheel bearings.

If you're looking for something off the shelf... It's going to be super tough for me to recommend something for ALL applications that you can find readily on the shelf.
View All Quotes
@Foxtrot08

Lubriplate Synxtreme HD2

Applied or one of the other industrial distributors might have it as well.  
https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/02854410;origin=sayt
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

View All Quotes
@Foxtrot08

Lubriplate Synxtreme HD2

Also I misunderstood the question.

While the grease I linked was baller. I’ve been spending too much time in GD. I thought he wanted a gun grease too.

P66 Polytac EP
Citgo polyurea MP
Kendall SHp grease

Chevron and Mobil both have GC Lb polyurea greases.  Which would work great too. Polyrex EP.  Chevron black Pearl.  Deere multi purpose.

Basically a full synthetic calcium grease or polyurea grease that is GC-LB approved.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Also I misunderstood the question.

While the grease I linked was baller. I’ve been spending too much time in GD. I thought he wanted a gun grease too.

P66 Polytac EP
Citgo polyurea MP
Kendall SHp grease

Chevron and Mobil both have GC Lb polyurea greases.  Which would work great too. Polyrex EP.  Chevron black Pearl.  Deere multi purpose.

Basically a full synthetic calcium grease or polyurea grease that is GC-LB approved.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:07:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TNC:
@Foxtrot08 what's your opinion of tetra grease, or any of the other ptfe/exotic type greases? I have a tube that's been in my gun kit forever, I've never really used it heavily.

Is it similar to krytox? Are there any grades of krytox worth considering for firearms, either pistol or rifle? I've used krytox in various optics and vacuum applications. It looks like they have a variety of greases but I lack the knowledge to align the catalog entries against firearms use.

Sure it's expensive but it seems like they have stuff capable of good heat and cold resistance.
View Quote

My opinion: They’re super fucking expensive.

In theory they’re the “next generation” of grease technology. Great heat and cold resistance as you said. They do not have the formidable EP properties some other greases have yet. But, who knows what can be developed.

Downside, I’ve been warned they’re not great for you if they’re ever turned into a mist / become airborne. But that’s like most things PTFE and such.

That is my only hesitation using them as a gun grease. Becoming an aerosol.

If it doesn’t bother you, they’re great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#32]

In theory they’re the “next generation” of grease technology. Great heat and cold resistance as you said. They do not have the formidable EP properties some other greases have yet. But, who knows what can be developed.

Downside, I’ve been warned they’re not great for you if they’re ever turned into a mist / become airborne. But that’s like most things PTFE and such.

View All Quotes
@Foxtrot08 what's your opinion of tetra grease, or any of the other ptfe/exotic type greases? I have a tube that's been in my gun kit forever, I've never really used it heavily.

Is it similar to krytox? Are there any grades of krytox worth considering for firearms, either pistol or rifle? I've used krytox in various optics and vacuum applications. It looks like they have a variety of greases but I lack the knowledge to align the catalog entries against firearms use.

Sure it's expensive but it seems like they have stuff capable of good heat and cold resistance.

Opinion, no, that is a fact.  

You also have to remove everything before applying it.  A thin coating of bearing preservative can cause issues if not removed. The PFPE oil is not compatible with pretty much everything.  The one exception I know of is this stuff:  Kluebersynth BHP 72-102 .
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#33]

You also have to remove everything before applying it.  A thin coating of bearing preservative can cause issues if not removed. The PFPE oil is not compatible with pretty much everything.  The one exception I know of is this stuff:  Kluebersynth BHP 72-102 .
View All Quotes

Only $800-900 a tube… plus shipping.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I didn’t mention the removal of other grease due to the reference for a gun grease. And typically that would be cleaned off first. But yes, I’m a bearing situation, or some sort of industrial usage, it basically has to be filled from new / cleaned.  Taking something apart and cleaning it probably wouldn’t even be good enough. A lot of these greases basically have to go into a sterile environment, then sealed.

It makes their usage not only expensive and delicate. But also impractical.  Sure they essentially last forever. But between the product cost and the cost to deploy them, you have a very limited market.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#36]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Royal Purple oil is dyed as well, and Jenny air compressors come factory filled with a blue dyed synthetic oil.

I think the dye is just that, dye. The base oil and additive package is what matters. However, I've read Foxtrot08 say many times that small engines (like in your lawnmower) are *old* technology, and basically any oil as long as it's the correct weight will work without issues.

Personally, I'd buy the Kirkland synthetic oil and run that in my small engines because it's cheap and it's synthetic, and change it every season. A six quart case will last years, and only costs like $25 (of course it used to be cheaper).
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#38]
okay I've got a question.

Probably a dumb one, but I ain't skeerd.

So a few years back I bought a mower that I still very much love. I take good care of it.

It's an Exmark and I use their branded oil in it.  30 wt.  It's blue.

Never saw blue oil before.  

Now, my dealer once sold me a case of a different 30 wt branded oil that I use for other, older, used equipment.

I haven't put that "lesser, not-blue" oil in the Exmark.  If I were running 20 mowers with guys who abused the equipment, I would have to scale this whole thing and I would buy non-branded oil in larger containers. But I don't have that situation.  (Mower dealer has NOT told me I have to use the blue oil.  It's what he uses in it, though.

I am the only one who runs the mower, and I take care of the parts that move.  

A friend said, "the blue doesn't mean anything it's just color they put in it."  

Same friend recommended another oil that I am pretty sure I've heard you disparage.  (Friend is a good mechanic, but that doesn't make him an oil expert.)

So is this "blue means nothing" true?  Or is it blasphemy?

Echo likes the color red to put in their small engine mix, so it seems trendy to color oil so fraidy cats like me will buy it thinking it's fancy.

@Foxtrot08

View Quote

A_G’s post is a very accurate TL;DR.

I’ll give a little more technical insight.

So there’s your 5 primary base oil types.  Group 1’s are basically exclusively used in heavy industrial products today. You’ll never really find them in motor oils simply because technology has moved beyond them.

Group II’s aren’t synthetic blends.  That’s sort of a misconception there. They’re hydro cracked base oils that are used primarily in synthetic blends for motor oils. However this is what you’ll get in a straight 30w. Or a hydraulic oil. Etc. Group II’s are currently the most produced base oils in the world, thus the most used base oils in the world.

The additive package for a motor oil a light brown or “amber” color typically. There are some variations in tones of color between brands. Depending on the exact color of the base oil, or what exactly the additive package is, etc.

Any blue color is simply a dye. Dyes are typically used as a tracer for oil sampling or leak detection. Some states mandate dyes in lighter oils for leak detection purposes. In automotive applications this is why ATFs are red. Easy leak detection and separation from a motor oil.

A commonly used hydraulic oil - Kendall Hyken glacial Blu, which is primarily found in “cherry picker” trucks - Aka boom trucks, bucket trucks, power line trucks, whatever you want to call them. Is.. blue.  It’s also used in snow plows and lift gates on box trucks.

So yes, Blue dye means absolutely nothing.

Motor oils, on their product data sheet will have the ASTM 1500 test listed on them.  This is the scale:

Most new, gasoline engine oils fall around a 3.0 on the scale. Most base oils, besides group 1’s - fall between a .3 and a .8 in the color scale test.

I believe Citgo lubricants, one of my top tier suppliers, is (or was at one time) the original manufacturer for exmark oils.

With that being said, I know Citgo very well. I’m on their technical advisory board, and will be soon taking a seat on their marker council. So, anti shill notice there.

However, back to the point A_G said: You can run anything that meets a 30w @ 212f / 100c.

So a 0w30/5w30/10w30 or straight 30w.  All would be fine in your application.  All of them are (approximately) the same viscosity at operational temperature.

Charts and stuff to show how multi viscosity oils work vs a straight weight. This is to show that typically, full synthetics are not as affected by heat as much as mono grades are. This is because of the more robust base stocks used. (Group 3’s and PAO’s.)  This allows the oil to be thicker, at hotter temperatures than the group II products. While maintaining being thinner, at cold temperatures. This allows better cold flow performance in colder weather, preventing wear, in both extremes.

But you’re fine running whatever you bought. Very simplistic low pressure engines.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#41]

A_G’s post is a very accurate TL;DR.

I’ll give a little more technical insight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/B1404FE1-4C3A-4F7E-9C7A-147E59D762FA-2835038.jpg

So there’s your 5 primary base oil types.  Group 1’s are basically exclusively used in heavy industrial products today. You’ll never really find them in motor oils simply because technology has moved beyond them.

Group II’s aren’t synthetic blends.  That’s sort of a misconception there. They’re hydro cracked base oils that are used primarily in synthetic blends for motor oils. However this is what you’ll get in a straight 30w. Or a hydraulic oil. Etc. Group II’s are currently the most produced base oils in the world, thus the most used base oils in the world.

The additive package for a motor oil a light brown or “amber” color typically. There are some variations in tones of color between brands. Depending on the exact color of the base oil, or what exactly the additive package is, etc.

Any blue color is simply a dye. Dyes are typically used as a tracer for oil sampling or leak detection. Some states mandate dyes in lighter oils for leak detection purposes. In automotive applications this is why ATFs are red. Easy leak detection and separation from a motor oil.

A commonly used hydraulic oil - Kendall Hyken glacial Blu, which is primarily found in “cherry picker” trucks - Aka boom trucks, bucket trucks, power line trucks, whatever you want to call them. Is.. blue.  It’s also used in snow plows and lift gates on box trucks.

So yes, Blue dye means absolutely nothing.

Motor oils, on their product data sheet will have the ASTM 1500 test listed on them.  This is the scale:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/510F2456-EEA4-4DEE-AF9E-AB5D07687C52-2835048.jpg

Most new, gasoline engine oils fall around a 3.0 on the scale. Most base oils, besides group 1’s - fall between a .3 and a .8 in the color scale test.

I believe Citgo lubricants, one of my top tier suppliers, is (or was at one time) the original manufacturer for exmark oils.

With that being said, I know Citgo very well. I’m on their technical advisory board, and will be soon taking a seat on their marker council. So, anti shill notice there.

However, back to the point A_G said: You can run anything that meets a 30w @ 212f / 100c.

So a 0w30/5w30/10w30 or straight 30w.  All would be fine in your application.  All of them are (approximately) the same viscosity at operational temperature.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/OilViscosityChart-Valvoline-956828.gif

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/5C418E83-9CDC-442D-9BFE-E5F1FBB775D4-1160601.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/full-66054-30686-viscositygradesgraph-1002623.jpg

Charts and stuff to show how multi viscosity oils work vs a straight weight. This is to show that typically, full synthetics are not as affected by heat as much as mono grades are. This is because of the more robust base stocks used. (Group 3’s and PAO’s.)  This allows the oil to be thicker, at hotter temperatures than the group II products. While maintaining being thinner, at cold temperatures. This allows better cold flow performance in colder weather, preventing wear, in both extremes.

But you’re fine running whatever you bought. Very simplistic low pressure engines.
View Quote

Thank you for not taking me to task.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#42]
bump
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Bump with a reason; THANK YOU @foxtrot08 for your general purpose axle grease recommendation. I’ve used Mystik JT6 High Temp grease ever since, along with the cordless grease gun I also acquired as a result of your posts.

I got home from a recent trip with my trailer and smelled grease, and checked my hub temps(really brake drum temps) and found one was almost 350degF, other one on the same axle was almost as hot. It was hard to get an idea of hub/bearing temp as the drums were so hot. I had an issue with my trailer brakes recently, a wiring fault that caused a “no trailer” issue and brake actuation, but thought I had a good temporary fix. Not so! Probably the last 20-30 miles of the trip it had been randomly hitting the brakes on one axle. Despite the grease pushing out the rubber weather cover, I pulled the bearings and found them in perfect condition and the grease still looked good. After fixing the wiring and re-greasing the hub we’re good to go!

No way would I have dug into quality grease and flushing out the grease regularly without this thread, and I may have had a breakdown on the side of the road. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#45]
"Safety first" for those with leaky grease guns...

The Grease "Gundom" (a L-N-L product)

I'll also say I bought one of the Ryobi 18v grease guns for greasing my little hobby tractor and implements as I use the Ryobi system for some infrequent home level stuff.  Has worked well for my limited use and while greasing an old set of disc harrows it pushed out all of the old grease/dirt/gunk with no issues including one zerk fitting that didn't want to "take" grease from manual gun, way easier and faster than a manual gun for that application especially avoiding the slicing ability of those blades.  I use the XL version of the lock n lube coupler for the disc set as it makes it much easier to  reach in between the blades to grease them.  I also have a manual L-N-L grease gun exclusively for my trailer hubs as I use the same grease in all of them.  

The frequent posts from Foxtrot08 on all things lube/fuel related are worth the price of a membership IMHO... I've still got a screenshot of his suggested alternative to Kubota UDT unfortunately for hobby/limited use its just easier to buy the brand.

and Mystic has a commercial and consumer dealer locator link on their web page for those searching... Mystic locator

and for 2 stroke things this lady is pretty informative for DIY
Is Cheaper Oil Better? 2 Stroke Oils put to the test and the results might SHOCK you!

as is:

How To FIX A SURGING ENGINE On A Lawn Mower, Pressure Washer, etc.

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 3:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#46]
I’m drunk. It’s Christmas. AMA about the oil industry.

Accidental edit meaning to quote.  Yes, I did it again. I apologize.

~Kitties
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

OK, what would be best grease for a deep groove ball bearing at speeds it shouldn't be at, after sitting for 20 years?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I cant decide whether to standardize my grease arsenal with the Mystik or Lucas line
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:35:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#49]
View Quote

I love this thread.  4T motorcycle race oil vs. "normal" synthetic motorcycle oil... Both good for factory-service intervals on non-race bikes?

@Foxtrot08, don't leave me hanging bro.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#50]

OK, what would be best grease for a deep groove ball bearing at speeds it shouldn't be at, after sitting for 20 years?
View All Quotes

EP polyurea.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top