BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm still plugging away.  I Picked these yesterday

Attachment Attached File

I have a third crop of Bok Choy coming along, I planted 2 each Broccoli, Collards and Cabbage.  Also snow peas and sugar snaps

I'm also getting a few ugly tomatoes but they're still good eats

I like to grow stuff

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
We had our first frost Wed & Thur morning, that's about 2 weeks early

Most of my stuff survived, with the exception of squash.  I picked two nice ones before it got zapped

Attachment Attached File

I also picked probably my last mess of Green Beans, Supper tonight

I have two nice collard plants in large pots.  I came home yesterday to find one of my dogs with her head through the fence, ripping away  

I had to move the pots into the fenced garden.

Oh well

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's all done now.  Gojis and sage are dehydrating, and then it's done for the year except mulching the garlic.

Just in time for leaf season.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vim:
It's all done now.  Gojis and sage are dehydrating, and then it's done for the year except mulching the garlic.

View Quote

Do you collect your leaves and add them to the garden?

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 5:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#5]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

Some, yes.  When I was starting, the soil was absolutely terrible.  Basically, modeling clay under the thin topsoil.  I used to have the neighbors rake their leaves onto tarps, and I'd drag them over and mow the hell out of them in a field.  I'd mix in the chopped leaves.  The beds got better fast.  Some trees, like walnut, aren't good for the garden, but they're in an area outside the fence where I don't rake.

I have an undeveloped area that I mostly use for backyard camping.  When I trim my trees, I save the non fireplace stuff and chip it once in a while.  That goes into the undeveloped area.  So do grass clippings, spread so they dry and don't stink.  So do most of the leaves now.  My neighbor's trees south of me are getting bigger and starting to take sunlight from the garden.  I can read the writing on the wall and will have to move my garden sooner or later.  Good soil will be waiting.

I'm trying something new this year.  I went to Tractor Supply, headed for the equine feed aisle, and got a couple bales of chopped alfalfa.  I'll be mixing those into the garden beds next week.  The garden season here ends abruptly, and there's no real time to grow a cover crop.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Some, yes.  When I was starting, the soil was absolutely terrible.  Basically, modeling clay under the thin topsoil.  I used to have the neighbors rake their leaves onto tarps, and I'd drag them over and mow the hell out of them in a field.  I'd mix in the chopped leaves.  The beds got better fast.  Some trees, like walnut, aren't good for the garden, but they're in an area outside the fence where I don't rake.

I have an undeveloped area that I mostly use for backyard camping.  When I trim my trees, I save the non fireplace stuff and chip it once in a while.  That goes into the undeveloped area.  So do grass clippings, spread so they dry and don't stink.  So do most of the leaves now.  My neighbor's trees south of me are getting bigger and starting to take sunlight from the garden.  I can read the writing on the wall and will have to move my garden sooner or later.  Good soil will be waiting.

I'm trying something new this year.  I went to Tractor Supply, headed for the equine feed aisle, and got a couple bales of chopped alfalfa.  I'll be mixing those into the garden beds next week.  The garden season here ends abruptly, and there's no real time to grow a cover crop.
View Quote

We live in a neighborhood called Merry Oaks, we have lots of oak leaves.

My next door neighbor who passed years ago tilled in leaves every fall.  After 30 years his soil was black as coal, and grew incredible vegetables

Attachment Attached File

So I'm going to mulch my leaves this fall and incorporate them into my soil.  My soil isn't bad but organic matter is always a good thing

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I think you should keep the thread going @billyhill  !

Folks will post and you can hang around with us.  
View Quote

I could do much worse than hanging around with this bunch😀

I shall soldier on vicariously through you.

Surgery Dec 20th
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#11]
First real snow yesterday and overnight.  Amendments are all turned in and the garden is officially buttoned up for the winter.  Last herbs need to come out of the dehydrator, and then it's time for other things.  Some home projects are queued up.  I have a modest cabinet made by Ma's uncle 70 some years ago, and it needs refinishing (it's cherry) and then to be put up proudly in the pantry.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Planted winter wheat two weeks ago.  It’s sprouting nicely!  First time trying it.

I think I’m going to redesign my garden plans and change my raised beds out.

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#14]

@vim I bet your refinishing project on that cabinet would be very cool in the woodworking forum!

ETA:  I checked with the mod of the woodworking forum, and he said that yes, wood refinishing projects are welcome there.

However....it is welcome here too.  Doing a thread about refinishing a family heirloom for the homestead pantry is a fine fit, in my opinion.

Wherever you choose to place it, I  would like to see it, and hear what you do...the products and techniques you use.

View Quote

It's a "later" project.  Yesterday I was out in the shed cleaning it up for the winter and stacking yard furniture in there.  I have a crapload of things that need to get done before 2023.  But I appreciate the encouragement about sharing, when I do get to it.

I don't have a lot of experience with refinishing, so I assume I'm pretty shitty at it.  Getting some advice might be a good approach.  I tend to just read up and go at stuff.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure they do. Got my Baker Creek catalog yesterday.  Johnny's seeds is another good one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#19]
Bumping.  Seed catalog time.

Do they even send out paper catalogs anymore?

What do y'all look at in the winter for seeds?

Online?

View Quote

Yes, they do. Some are very interesting.  Baker's Creek is a favorite.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I did some winter sowing last weekend, and need to compare a list of seeds I have with a list I found of seeds that need to be stratified. I was surprised to see catnip on that list, since in the past I've just planted them in the spring after last frost date with no problem.

I get most my seeds locally, or if I'm looking for something specific, from Jung's. I also ordered some "Hungarian heart" tomatoes from Baker creek seeds. They're supposed to be a big meaty paste tomato.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Starting to get warm

Time to shake off the cobwebs and get the garden ready

I've done my first till this week and ordered seed

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to have several raised beds in the backyard, but I got rid of them.  I am at work long before the sun comes up, so working the garden in the morning doesn’t work. And it gets really hot in these Oklahoma summer afternoons. So I scaled back to a single 3’ x 24’ bed along the fence.

Last year, I had good luck with peppers and more tomatoes than I could harvest. But the delicates like spinach and lettuce didn’t thrive. So I am changing my strategy this year.  Instead of purchasing small plants from Lowes, I am starting all seeds.  

Attachment Attached File

Some things will be put in boxes where I can shield from the afternoon sun. Some, like herbs, will eventually go in small pots on the porch where I can easily harvest while cooking.  Some will be transplanted into the big garden bed where they will get minimal attention.

I am sure some will fail altogether. But I am planting enough varieties that I think I can get a good crop regardless.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Planted potatoes a few weeks ago.  They're just starting to poke through the mulch.  This is my first time growing potatoes, but hopefully not my last.

Attachment Attached File

Had to cover them last night, as we had a little frost.  Should be the last one, but I'm going to wait for the pecan trees to bud out before I plant the rest of my veggies.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Avidrook (I think), did you ever figure out what was eating your seedlings even after the chicken wire was installed? Snails is what came to mind for me, mice would be the only other thing I can think of-
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll be on the sidelines watching.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Let the seed starting commence.

I started some peppers and tomatoes already. A bit early but with this new grow rack I plan on getting them a lot more mature than previous years.

Jimmy Naedello peppers.
Jalape o peppers.
California bell sweet peppers.
Long red sweet peppers.
Cayenne peppers.

Better Boy tomatoes.
Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.
Cherry tomatoes.
Rutger tomatoes.
Brandywine tomatoes.

Also threw in a tray of micro greens just to experiment.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/1A863E9C-EB89-4E92-B2E7-59DC14DC5352-2743220.jpg
View Quote
Got two 2x4' rolling shelves like yours and did something similar in my garage       Got ours started three weeks ago,  Have about 175 out of 200 tomoato plants sprouted,   broccoli, egg plant cantalope, cabbage coliflower zuccini sprouting,  and most of my hot pepper plants sprouted over the last week.  

Cannot seem to find decent seed starting soil on bulk bags.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody have tips on growing cantaloupes?  Mom picked up a six pack of yellow squash seedlings for me.  As I planted the last one, I noticed the tag said Harvest Queen cantaloupes.  

I've never grown fruit before.  Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I scratched up my garden with the cultivator on Sunday.  On Monday it got a little fertilizer drift from the buggy spreading on the adjacent hayfield.  Yesterday a buddy called to tell me he had his 3 point tiller at the neighbor's and asked if I wanted min hit, so I had him go ahead.  I'm still several weeks out from planting since I'm too lazy to cover everything in the case of a late April frost (which isn't too uncommon for us).
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Anybody have tips on growing cantaloupes?  Mom picked up a six pack of yellow squash seedlings for me.  As I planted the last one, I noticed the tag said Harvest Queen cantaloupes.  

I've never grown fruit before.  Any help will be appreciated.
View Quote

When I've grown melons I've always laid down a bed of straw when the plants started spreading to keep the melons off the dirt. Since you thought it was squash you probably planted them in hills, that is the best way. I've seen cantaloupes grown vertically, that saves a lot of space but you need a very sturdy support to do that and little mesh bags or nets to support each melon.

They are sensitive to Ph, if the leaves are light green to yellow the Ph is too low. The same pests that attack squash and cucumbers will also attack melons, squash vine borers and cucumber beetles for example. I used Sevin dust on mine, some old folks cut both ends out of a soup can and plant the seedlings inside it to ward off the vine borers, I never bothered with that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#37]
These are the lights I am using.

4 per rack.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWV1THV
View Quote

I use the same lights in my grow tents - can recommend - EXCEPT - the in-line rocker switches are a fire hazard.  I've had two literally melt.  I've since cut them all out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Update on our indoor starter system

Plants are coming along okay, peppers are slooow to take on leaves.

The tomato plants are concerning. I'm seeing some kind of rot or fungus forming on some of the older leaves.

Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/DDDE3686-FF75-4F59-AE7D-729D17DEEF31-2771446.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/495A07F4-7C37-4412-B8B8-C46F2C71A96B-2771447.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/D0AC85CB-2C7A-46B6-8309-1CDFE6E01EDF-2771448.jpg
View Quote

How's the airflow around the tomatos?  If passive, try putting a fan in there.  Increased respiration will help nutrient uptake/cell formation and/or drive down humidity if it is fungus related.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

When I've grown melons I've always laid down a bed of straw when the plants started spreading to keep the melons off the dirt. Since you thought it was squash you probably planted them in hills, that is the best way. I've seen cantaloupes grown vertically, that saves a lot of space but you need a very sturdy support to do that and little mesh bags or nets to support each melon.

They are sensitive to Ph, if the leaves are light green to yellow the Ph is too low. The same pests that attack squash and cucumbers will also attack melons, squash vine borers and cucumber beetles for example. I used Sevin dust on mine, some old folks cut both ends out of a soup can and plant the seedlings inside it to ward off the vine borers, I never bothered with that.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips.  I did plant them in hills.  I'll put down some mulch when they start spreading, that's a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]

I have four computer fans blowing on them in four 4hr cycles on a timer.

It's pretty good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

How's the airflow around the tomatos?  If passive, try putting a fan in there.  Increased respiration will help nutrient uptake/cell formation and/or drive down humidity if it is fungus related.

I have four computer fans blowing on them in four 4hr cycles on a timer.

It's pretty good.

Then I'd treat it as either nutrient deficient or diseased.  If it doesn't pep up after some fertilizer, I'd get some new ones started (in clean pots).

FWIW (which isn't much!)
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:46:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#47]
Will winter squash vines run uphill if that's where the sun is?

I have this great spot I'd like to grow some and was thinking I'd use 25 gallon grow bags, or 1/2 whiskey barrels on the patio:

Attachment Attached File

This is just for one season, will probably do some terraced raised beds there next year
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TribunusSanGeorgii] [#48]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
Will winter squash vines run uphill if that's where the sun is?

I have this great spot I'd like to grow some and was thinking I'd use 25 gallon grow bags, or 1/2 whiskey barrels on the patio:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20230429_161921_jpg-2800450.JPG

This is just for one season, will probably do some terraced raised beds there next year
View Quote

You can train them to grow up for sure.

Last year I grew a pumpkin and an acorn squash plant growing up a lean to on the side of my house

Attachment Attached File

Maybe not exactly the same thing you are suggesting, but I think it would work
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Half my potatoes have blight.  Think I'll dig them up so it doesn't spread to the other half.  

Cantaloupes aren't doing much.  Neither are my tomatoes and lettuce in my grow bags.  I think they need fertilizer but not sure exactly what.  

About the only thing growing down here is my mint, which I don't really do anything with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top