User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I just checked out my journal from last year

I am a month behind plating.  Our weather has been cool and extremely wet.  3 inches last week

I haven't bought a single plant or sewn a single seed yet.  The garden is a swamp too so it would take a week of hot sun before i'd even chance planting

Forecast for most of next week is lows in the 40's and highs in the low 70's

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus....I have a lush lawn for the first time in years and If I can't do garden stuff I can go shoot

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just planted Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, Jalapeños, Habaneros, and Ghost Peppers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Red-Stater:
Just planted Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, Jalapeños, Habaneros, and Ghost Peppers.
View Quote

Ouch

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Planted 30 strawberry crowns.

Last night got 2 blueberry plants in
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I'm tired of waiting so today I rented a little Mantis tiller to fluff up the soil

I planted Bok Choy, two types of green beans, Dixie Lee Peas, and cucumbers

In my pots I planted 4 tomatoes, green bell pepper, cilantro, bunching onions, and dill

I have my okra seeds soaking, I will plant them tomorrow

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
You can feed them with either liquid fert, or granular.

What do you have?

A balanced fert is what you need, depending on the phase of growth they are in.

If they are ready to flower and fruit, feed a bloom builder type fert.
View Quote

I have some fish emulsion, and I may pick up some Miracle Grow.  Dad swears by it.  

Ended harvesting all of my potatoes, reds and Yukon golds.  The blight had spread from the reds to the golds, and I figured this was the best course of action.  

Almost all of the potatoes I dug up had holes in them like this:  

Attachment Attached File

I assume this is from some type of worm or bug, but I am not sure which.  The only thing I saw when I dug them up was a few ants.  Thoughts on what I could have done to prevent this?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:48:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#9]
Started building my beds and planted half my tomatoes today (the weather looks favorable and yes it's a risk).

Yellow Brandywine
Red Brandywine
Purple Cherokee
Black Krim
Beefsteak
Red Siberian
2x Glacier

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Just direct sowed some radish, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, and cabbage.

The indoor tomato and pepper starts are looking good. I probably need to move them into larger containers within the next week.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Here in the past 2 weeks or so, I have planted some seeds into seed starters. That's been kinda slow going I have a few things starting to pop up though. I planted: Roma tomatoes, onions, Jalepeno, poblano and red Thai chilis.

This week I've been starting seeds with the paper towel method to get them to germinate faster. I've got some more peppers, tomatoes and some tomatillos going. I'm about to do some national picking cucumbers, Boston pickling cucumbers, and probably a couple other things.

Plan on making lots of salsa and dill pickles this year.
One problem I have is I don't exactly have a way to do an actual garden, as I don't have a tiller yet. So I've just been planting stuff here and there. Usually works pretty good. Just trying it on a bigger scale this year. If it comes down to it I'll take my extra seedlings and plant them in the fence row and get what I can from them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Built my sweet pepper bed today... almost done

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
We've had a bit of a dry spell, which is good and bad

This afternoon we had a storm roll thru, dumped about 3/4"

The yard needed rain, the garden...a little bit

I must have bought crap seeds.  I planted a row of Blue Lake Bush Green Beans.  Probably one in 10 came up

This will help with the stagger I guess

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Those are great looking raised beds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Those are great looking raised beds.

Thanks, I put a lot of sweat equity into the planning and building of them. They're an investment I hope to benefit from for years to come and perhaps will add some value to the home. In it for about $2k so far including soil
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:08:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:08:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#23]

Beautiful raised beds!

What do you do in the round containers?

AND...what's in the landscape beds behind the bench?  Is that veggies too?  Flowers?

View All Quotes

Beautiful raised beds!

What do you do in the round containers?

AND...what's in the landscape beds behind the bench?  Is that veggies too?  Flowers?

Bunch of tulips and stuff behind the bench the previous owner planted. I've got a lot of potatoes in those 25 gal grow bags. I like growing taters in those as there's less chance of underground pests and I can dig them out easier.

Was going to build a 4th raised bed, but after tracking the shade a bit more, would only get maybe 4 hours of sunlight due to all the mature trees in the area. Probably going to plant a tall tree there after tracking the sun a bit more, something that can get enough height to get some morning sun above the roof shade line.

Might still do a 3x6 turned N/S and move the potato bags. The cover is too shaded for any ground crops though.

10am
Attachment Attached File

Noon
Attachment Attached File

2pm
Attachment Attached File

3pm
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Where did you get your seeds? I know places like Burpee will replace seed that doesn't germinate or has a poor germination rate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
We've had a bit of a dry spell, which is good and bad

This afternoon we had a storm roll thru, dumped about 3/4"

The yard needed rain, the garden...a little bit

I must have bought crap seeds.  I planted a row of Blue Lake Bush Green Beans.  Probably one in 10 came up

This will help with the stagger I guess

Where did you get your seeds? I know places like Burpee will replace seed that doesn't germinate or has a poor germination rate.

Home Depot probably

I just planted planted again, it's not worth the hassle of getting a refund

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

I've finally gotten on top of the weeds this year. Things are progressing nicely.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a lot of activity lately, so an update from me

Still cool and sometimes wet here and I'm at least a month behind normal

Some things like cukes and corn and one planting of G Beans are doing well

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And may I ask for advice about my squash?  I pulled this one his afternoon.  The green was faint when I pulled it, as time passed it go more green.  (I'm color blind, so my wife tells me it's green).  I think the phone makes it look worse than it is to the eye

Attachment Attached File

Online research says it's a virus, or maybe a lack of calcium, maybe it's blossom end root.  We haven't had a lot of heat and I've pulled many small squash off that were rotten, classic blossom end rot.

I've stepped up the fertilizer and lime and the plant looks healthy and the leaves are very dark green now.  I've also sprayed for bugs and haven't seen any

Any guesses on the squash?

This is a first for me

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
When gardening and home brewing collide...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#29]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys my tomato plants are starting to get aphids, I noticed today, and I have been picking them off and spraying the plants with a soapy water mixture.

I have around 30 something so the picking them off  isn't ideal and I'm using a small spray bottle so its time consuming. May buy a pump sprayer to use tomorrow.

Does anybody have any methods they use to get rid of them? I'd hate to loose them, they've been doing good this year. I've already got a bunch of tomatoes coming on.

I'd appreciate the help if anybodys got any better ideas?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:

Do you have a local source for ladybugs?
View Quote

Not that I know of, but I will keep a lookout and try to save any I see and put em by the plants
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I suggest reading up on releasing ladybugs. Releasing in batches, and refrigerating until release,  and most will still fly away.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VinceMeal:

Not that I know of, but I will keep a lookout and try to save any I see and put em by the plants
View Quote

Before I knew what they were, I used to remove ladybug larvae from my plants.  Now that I know they turn into ladybugs, I love watching them absolutely annihilate aphids.  Yes I watch them do this, and yes I have way too much time on my hands!
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 3:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#35]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:

Lowe's has live ones, and Amazon has guaranteed live delivery on live ones too. I've been thinking about getting some just to release here and see what they do.
View Quote

Tips I have heard on success are basically release them late evening on to slightly wet plants. They are less likely to fly right off looking for water and figure this place looks pretty good!

Update the thread on how it goes if you try it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I scored these 80 gallon composters at an estate sale today for $50 each.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Saw this in the GD Dank Memes thread and thought it was appropriate

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Canned some pickles yesterday. Still waiting on tomatoes to ripen. Had a mediocre onion harvest.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#43]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/244654/F51CC96B-CFC7-44C1-9CFB-C2BFF1C5C13E_jpe-2900546.JPG
Canned some pickles yesterday. Still waiting on tomatoes to ripen. Had a mediocre onion harvest.
View Quote

My contribution

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Man, my cukes are ripening one at a time on the one plant that is bearing them.  Another year without pickling.
Maybe the others will catch up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#45]
We got free sweet corn from a friend on Saturday morning.
Spent the day blanching, cutting, and vac sealing...ended up with around 30 bags each with 2.5 cups of corn.

Then I made 12 more pints of pickles.  

My chances at making salsa with 6 different pepper varieties took a hit - my poblanos all have blossom end rot, and a bird or squirrel busted off my serrano plant.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
Not a lot of activity lately, so an update from me

Still cool and sometimes wet here and I'm at least a month behind normal

Some things like cukes and corn and one planting of G Beans are doing well

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295532/IMG_3713_JPG-2850706.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295532/IMG_3714_JPG-2850708.JPG

And may I ask for advice about my squash?  I pulled this one his afternoon.  The green was faint when I pulled it, as time passed it go more green.  (I'm color blind, so my wife tells me it's green).  I think the phone makes it look worse than it is to the eye

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/295532/IMG_3715_JPG-2850713.JPG

Online research says it's a virus, or maybe a lack of calcium, maybe it's blossom end root.  We haven't had a lot of heat and I've pulled many small squash off that were rotten, classic blossom end rot.

I've stepped up the fertilizer and lime and the plant looks healthy and the leaves are very dark green now.  I've also sprayed for bugs and haven't seen any

Any guesses on the squash?

This is a first for me

View Quote
I've seen the same thing with some of my squash. A few even rotted at the end. I assumed it was blossom end rot. It's only affected about 10% of them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

So far I've picked about 300 lbs of Tomatoes this year, and they are still going  strong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Scored 17 large everbearing Strawberry plants from Walmart for $35. Building a dedicated 8x3 bed for them now!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Hand seeded radishes and beets this week to start my fall crops off. Wife just sets out packages of seeds she wants started I’ll seed them before I go to work. Think carrots and cabbage are up next.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top