Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:04:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Annarchy] [#1]
Planted in November,  harvested a bit late, in May.  Beets bolted quickly, let them seed, because I planted the last of the seeds, I had saved from previous years, heirloom/non GMO. Same with some of the carrots that bolted in our heat.  

Some critter decided to roll in my onion patch (grown from seeds), when I harvested them, I got about 1,000 seed onions.  The biggest was about the size of a quarter.  

Carrots….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Turnips…. Grew them for a friend in NM.
Attachment Attached File

…and partially processed…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:11:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Annarchy] [#2]
Best looking garden I’ve ever been able to grow here… 16’ x 8’.  

Attachment Attached File

Excuse my makeshift frost covers.  I throw sheets over the frames at night and remove them in the mornings, so they get sun.

Right now the only thing left in the garden is dirt, baking in the sun & heat.

When the HD tiller gets here, I’m hoping to mulch & till the garden & plant the seed onions.  The seeds I used last fall, were 5 years old, in a plastic bag, outside.  I was surprised any grew.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
First BLT of the season for me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of my pepper seed packets were labeled wrong and I ended up with 4 shishito pepper plants that are cranking out dozens of peppers.

Anybody got good recipes to use these in besides blister/grill/char?  Are they worth adding to salsa or pickling?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:
Some of my pepper seed packets were labeled wrong and I ended up with 4 shishito pepper plants that are cranking out dozens of peppers.

Anybody got good recipes to use these in besides blister/grill/char?  Are they worth adding to salsa or pickling?
View Quote

Maybe let them ripen and then blend them into a paste to add to tomato sauce? The ones I'm growing are super mild and kinda meh. Not planning to grow again
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Seeing lots of reports of mislabeled seeds this year.

Our regular green peppers look more like hot pepper types,  haven't tasted them yet.

Some of our big boy tomatoes are getting catfacing, a sign of heirloom type pants.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
We're in a drought here in SW LA.  I was thinking of a fall garden, but if it doesn't rain soon I doubt I will plant anything.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
We used to have a garden back in the day but got burned out on it and when our daughter came along we let it go back to grass.

I had been intending to make some raised beds in the same place our garden used to be but kept putting it off mainly due to the costs involved.

My next plan was to just till it up, cover it with compost (from 25 years of horse manure, shavings and leaves) and then till that in.

But I didn't have a tiller anymore and was thinking about just renting one for a couple days but turned that was going to be over $200.

Then back in July Home Depot had great price on tillers so I jumped on one and got started getting the garden ready for next year.

First I sprayed the grass with roundup and waited until it was good and brown and started tilling.

Then I made about three passes over it with the new Champion tiller.

The tiller did pretty good but doesn't really compare to the Troy Bilt that I used to have.

This ground used to be a garden but hadn't been tilled in close to 20 years.

Stopped here to the get the fire ants off me.

Then I started hauling compost. I used the front end loader to put it on the trailer but shoveled it off a wheel barrow load at a time. Lost track but 5 or 6 loads.

I'll till it in sometime next week. Need to service the tiller. Going to change the motor oil and the gear lube (the gear lube that came in it was very thick, almost like axle grease), and check the belt tension.

Planning to plant something this fall, not sure what yet, but at least a cover crop of some sort.

Our ground is pretty rocky and I picked up quite a few already. Also the compost had a lot of roots and I picked out as much of them as I could.

Sorry for the crappy photo.

Lot of work for an old guy

Looking forward to having a garden next year. Mainly for home grown tomatoes, that's really all I care about.

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Welp, looks like I will be back at it next year with at least a 1/2 garden.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Started mini orchard this past February with an Anna, Dorsett Golden, 2 Fujis, and a Pink Lady apples and two different varieties of peach.

Pre-ordered for this coming March:  Ashmeade's Kernel, 2 King Davids, William's Pride, Wickson Crab, Granny Smith.

Will probably add another peach and a couple of nectarines, too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
We used to have a garden back in the day but got burned out on it and when our daughter came along we let it go back to grass.

I had been intending to make some raised beds in the same place our garden used to be but kept putting it off mainly due to the costs involved.

My next plan was to just till it up, cover it with compost (from 25 years of horse manure, shavings and leaves) and then till that in.

But I didn't have a tiller anymore and was thinking about just renting one for a couple days but turned that was going to be over $200.

Then back in July Home Depot had great price on tillers so I jumped on one and got started getting the garden ready for next year.

First I sprayed the grass with roundup and waited until it was good and brown and started tilling.

https://i.imgur.com/v8szyIe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F8cMRqJ.jpg

Then I made about three passes over it with the new Champion tiller.

The tiller did pretty good but doesn't really compare to the Troy Bilt that I used to have.

This ground used to be a garden but hadn't been tilled in close to 20 years.

https://i.imgur.com/tWgD2u7.jpg

Stopped here to the get the fire ants off me.

https://i.imgur.com/UDLy070.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hBsBGvn.jpg

Then I started hauling compost. I used the front end loader to put it on the trailer but shoveled it off a wheel barrow load at a time. Lost track but 5 or 6 loads.

http://i.imgur.com/ehIaAOQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/l7jaD8Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gTUefVx.jpg

I'll till it in sometime next week. Need to service the tiller. Going to change the motor oil and the gear lube (the gear lube that came in it was very thick, almost like axle grease), and check the belt tension.

Planning to plant something this fall, not sure what yet, but at least a cover crop of some sort.

Our ground is pretty rocky and I picked up quite a few already. Also the compost had a lot of roots and I picked out as much of them as I could.

Sorry for the crappy photo.

https://i.imgur.com/Q2AB0CH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CTOvOfx.jpg

Lot of work for an old guy

Looking forward to having a garden next year. Mainly for home grown tomatoes, that's really all I care about.

View Quote

That's a great looking place!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

That's a great looking place!
View Quote

Thanks!

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

That's a fantastic barn!

Is that a river I see through the trees?  Or just funky lighting?
View Quote

No water nearby unfortunately. Just the lighting.

We buried our last horse a couple years ago so the barn is empty. Mostly using it for storage right now. Don’t want any more horses but keep trying to think of a good use for it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Scored 45 bags of Promix at Walmart for $9/bag!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#16]

This is good news!!!!
View Quote

I need the exercise
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]

That's what it cost me wholesale at a greenhouse 30 years ago!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
Scored 45 bags of Promix at Walmart for $9/bag!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20231007_110041_jpg-2982454.JPG

That's what it cost me wholesale at a greenhouse 30 years ago!!!!

Yup, that's why I bought them!
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of green peppers still in the pepper plants, hoping they’ll get enough sun before a frost.

Habaneros and ghost peppers are loaded but still green.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#20]
First seeds starting to arrive for next year...

Lots of greens.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
First seeds starting to arrive for next year...

Lots of greens.
View Quote

Greens?

Greens!

Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
That's awesome. Did that come as a kit or did you build it?
View Quote
Thanks @jcoop

Not a kit, just a kratky style setup that I've evolved over the years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks @jcoop

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JCoop:
That's awesome. Did that come as a kit or did you build it?
Thanks @jcoop

Nice.

I have a similar setup but I use adjustable ratchet pulleys to adjust light height and I grow in "soil" (compost, castings, perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, amendments/natural and organic ferts and some worms thrown into the mix) I'm prepping my grow area for winter gardening and experimentation including some kratky and automatic drip irrigation. I have about 1500 watts of LED lights at my disposal but I rarely run anything more than 400 at a time. As winter progresses I tend to run more lights, I can grow food and heat my place a bit
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#25]
We're in the very early stages of garden planning for this season. Any of you ever planted ground cherries? Interested in the flavor and use cases.

https://www.gurneys.com/product/aunt-mollys-ground-cherry?p=5FREESHIP60&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMAX%20-%20SHOP%20-%20S_PROSP&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI05DK5P_VgwMVXWFHAR1KPw5-EAQYASABEgIOFvD_BwE

There are many varieties, linked this one because we buy from Gurneys fairly often.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Never tried them, I have tried related tomatillos before with some success. They required little extra time or attention and were productive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I need to tap my maple tree, people are reporting a flow now.

Other than that, I've made a list of about 6 types of seed i want to order from Baker Creek. A couple of them are for shits and giggles, like the toothache plant and japanese carrots (2-6' long, depending on soil).

Other than a different type of strawberry plant that I hope to get later at Jung's, I don't think I need to get anything else. Maybe onion sets?

My biggest project will be replacing the 8" raised beds with the 26" raised beds (corrugated roof panels). Move the current soil to the side, built, fill the bottom with logs, fill most of it with topsoil I'll have to order, tamp it down every few layers, and finally add the good soil. And it will still settle a few inches over the season.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Took Elliott Coleman’s Winter Garden and 4 Season Garden teachings to heart this year. We’re still harvesting Kale, Lettuce, Broccoli, Carrots, Beets, and Cabbages.

All of this grown in unheated low hoops tunnels with 2 layers of frost cloth or clear greenhouse plastic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I am impressed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Thread bump.

No pictures, but have potatoes, onions and peas in the ground.

Peppers and tomatoes (and ground cherries), started inside.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I need to get the lights changed on my seed starting greenhouses and get started planting.

I'm also going to get those 8" raised beds converted to those 26" high beds. And order a shitload of dirt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, can't wait to see what everyone does!

I'm actually maybe going to get to garden this year!  *fingers crossed*

View Quote

Great to hear you're getting your hands back in your own dirt for a change!

Anybody trying anything new/unique this year?

I've got some Bolivian Cucumbers started - will see how they do (and if we actually enjoy them).

How to Grow the Easiest Cucumber that Produces the Most Fruit

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
I need to get the lights changed on my seed starting greenhouses and get started planting.

I'm also going to get those 8" raised beds converted to those 26" high beds. And order a shitload of dirt.
View Quote

High beds will save your back and keep alot of critters out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, can't wait to see what everyone does!

I'm actually maybe going to get to garden this year!  *fingers crossed*
View Quote

I'm doing something a bit different this year.

Through networking with a neighbor I just met, I learned I have another neighbor with 60+ horses. After being introduced, I asked if he had any "seasoned" manure from mucking out his stalls. A few days later, he arrived with a dump-truck full of 6 month old manure/straw for me!

Our soil is pretty depleted (the crops we've been growing are pretty heavy feeders) and I read somewhere that horse poop is a great natural fertilizer - better than cow because a horse's digestive tract is much hotter, so seeds it's ingested won't germinate and weeds will thus be kept to a minimum (always a good thing!).

I was lamenting my tiller's demise, but the guy said I'd be okay just spreading out out over the top of my beds, so I'm crossing my fingers!

I've got a lot of stuff started under lights, but I didn't get my seed potatoes in in time. Alas. Still, I'm enthused about other stuff. I just wish the garden didn't feel like a necessity, thus, making it feel like work!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

I'm doing something a bit different this year.

Through networking with a neighbor I just met, I learned I have another neighbor with 60+ horses. After being introduced, I asked if he had any "seasoned" manure from mucking out his stalls. A few days later, he arrived with a dump-truck full of 6 month old manure/straw for me!

Our soil is pretty depleted (the crops we've been growing are pretty heavy feeders) and I read somewhere that horse poop is a great natural fertilizer - better than cow because a horse's digestive tract is much hotter, so seeds it's ingested won't germinate and weeds will thus be kept to a minimum (always a good thing!).

I was lamenting my tiller's demise, but the guy said I'd be okay just spreading out out over the top of my beds, so I'm crossing my fingers!

I've got a lot of stuff started under lights, but I didn't get my seed potatoes in in time. Alas. Still, I'm enthused about other stuff. I just wish the garden didn't feel like a necessity, thus, making it feel like work!
View Quote

One thing to keep in mind - more and more hay is being grown with herbicides, especially "horse quality" hay.  Some of them remain active for quite some time, even after digestion and composting.

If the neighbor can't confirm its clean, and you haven't spread it already, you might blend some into some starting mix and do a quick germination test for a few weeks and see if anything looks off.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

High beds will save your back and keep alot of critters out.
View Quote

Indeed. We had 2 8' beds last year, and it was so frickin easy to grow veggies.
We decided to make the new raised beds in a U shape, to get a little more space.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#38]

One thing to keep in mind - more and more hay is being grown with herbicides, especially "horse quality" hay.  Some of them remain active for quite some time, even after digestion and composting.

If the neighbor can't confirm its clean, and you haven't spread it already, you might blend some into some starting mix and do a quick germination test for a few weeks and see if anything looks off.
View Quote

It's straw, not hay, but I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Not trying to be an alarmist - just sharing.  I've had to stop using my own sheep's manure because I had a batch of hay come in that apparently Grazon was used on - figured it out when the broadleafs around the compost pile all withered.  

WARNING: This COMMON Toxin in Manure Will DESTROY Your Garden!

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#41]

It's a serious problem.  A university here made a mistake and put some in the leaf compost that they sell to the public.  It put my local organic produce growers out of business.  Ruined their ground.  Trying to replace the soil bankrupted them. It was ugly.

University denies responsibility.
View All Quotes

Not trying to be an alarmist - just sharing.  I've had to stop using my own sheep's manure because I had a batch of hay come in that apparently Grazon was used on - figured it out when the broadleafs around the compost pile all withered.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMVs1pgAi0

It's a serious problem.  A university here made a mistake and put some in the leaf compost that they sell to the public.  It put my local organic produce growers out of business.  Ruined their ground.  Trying to replace the soil bankrupted them. It was ugly.

University denies responsibility.

Thanks for the heads up.

ETA: Just confirmed it's GTG.

Whew!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I started pepper seeds on 2-6. I transplanted them to larger containers today.  I'll probably move them outside mid-end of May.

I have cabbage, lettuce, and peas starts that are probably ready to go outside.

I have to get my 'maters started!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I started pepper seeds on 2/10 and transplanted today into containers.  Used a heated mat, but had many duds.  Still all very tiny, 3-4 leaves each.  Seems really slow.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I started tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, bell peppers, egg plants, basil, oregano, and parsley from seed about a month ago.

It was the first time that I had started vegetable plants from seeds and ended up with way more than I need. They look fairly good but it is still three weeks or so before I’ll put the in the garden. I guess I’ll try to give a bunch of them away if they all live.

Tomatoes and peppers started from seed

Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top