User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I REALLY like this strain of Zoysia so I don't really want to change it out.  Maybe I'm going to be setting aside money each month to add another handful of rolls as I go along every month. It will be a long process, but it sounds like it is going to be much shorter than waiting for it to grow naturally.

Part of the challenge I have is that my wife likes this grass and hates pretty much all other heat tolerant grasses.  

Y'all have given me some good info and input.  Thanks. It really is appreciated.

I'll keep asking questions as I go along for sure.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#4]
A week in and I have roots!

I watched that video from LCN so I had to check.  It is really nice to see this stuff setting in for the long haul.  It does look greener now then it did when I unrolled it and the blades are certainly perking up. :)

Progress.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:40:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Pic I took a few days ago looking across lawn into neighbors property who don't do anything but cut every week.  Other side of property is field like so all the undesirable seeds blow in.  Can you say weed pressure.  West central OH to give a perspective on the zone I am in.

Very happy so far with application of Stonewall .037% 13-0-0 non slow release N on March 3rd as far as the green-up goes.

Another application of over 100 lbs. of slow release 30-0-10 on April 7th to get it out of the garage and out of the way.

Past few days I sprayed some dandelions with some 2-4-d in the backpack sprayer that I should have treated this past fall as they made it through the mild winter we had.

Impressed with the green-up so far.  Growth rate so far will mean cutting every 4 or 5 days with moisture and rain but I'm OK with that.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#7]
Beautiful - hold the line! Jealous how healthy and full your yard looks. Excellent work.

We're finally up past 60 degree 5 day average soil temps and green up has been painfully slow with the new sod. It's ugly and patchy at the moment and the ground is super compacted. Waiting on someone to come out to core aerate. Till then, just applied some Lesco CarbonPro-G with 28-3-10 and looking forward to it waking up more.

In other non-related lawn care news but landscape-adjacent, I've been getting some hardscape work done. Had masonry edging put in around our flower beds, extended the backyard concrete patio another 144 sqft for a sitting area and future pergola, and having an outdoor kitchen put it. Hoping this time next year we'll be ready to put in a pool.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:57:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobalt135] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Very nice domination line!

How many thousand square feet? (I'm wondering how much that 100 lbs was, as far as pounds on the ground per K).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:
Pic I took a few days ago looking across lawn into neighbors property who don't do anything but cut every week.  Other side of property is field like so all the undesirable seeds blow in.  Can you say weed pressure.  West central OH to give a perspective on the zone I am in.

https://i.imgur.com/NJSjG8Y.jpg

Very happy so far with application of Stonewall .037% 13-0-0 non slow release N on March 3rd as far as the green-up goes.

Another application of over 100 lbs. of slow release 30-0-10 on April 7th to get it out of the garage and out of the way.

https://i.imgur.com/CJ4Izyg.jpg

Past few days I sprayed some dandelions with some 2-4-d in the backpack sprayer that I should have treated this past fall as they made it through the mild winter we had.

Impressed with the green-up so far.  Growth rate so far will mean cutting every 4 or 5 days with moisture and rain but I'm OK with that.

Very nice domination line!

How many thousand square feet? (I'm wondering how much that 100 lbs was, as far as pounds on the ground per K).

The Stonewall with 13-0-0 nitrogen was at the published rate of 6.2 Lb. per acre. Applied first week of March with no spring growth evident yet but wanted to get the Pre emergent down before soil temperatures warmed.

Non slow release.....
TOTAL NITROGEN (N) ........................................................................................13.00%
13.00%Urea Nitrogen*
DERIVED FROM: Urea
*3.20% Urea Nitrogen Stabilized with (N-(n-butyl) thiophosphoric triamide).

April 7th applied just Nitrogen according to the rate on the bag....

0.8 lb of nitrogen per 1000 sq/ft
30% urea nitrogen*
0.02 water soluble Iron
Derived from: Polymer coated urea, Urea, Muriate of Potash, Iron Sucrate, Maganese Sucrate,
*4.50 Urea nitrogen stabilized with Dicyandiamide
7.50% slow release nitrogen; from polymer coated urea.

Best greenup I have seen in years, but I put some extra effort in this year putting down some extra N. Also sprayed about 3 gallons of 2-4-D this year mainly on dandelions that I should have started spraying in the fall of last year since they seemed to survive the winter.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
How do I get rid of this weed without killing off good plants?  It comes up from the ground but then grows in between and over everything.  I can pull it out by hand easy enough but it is everywhere and I can't get all of it.  

The weed has fibers all over it that will cause it to stick to clothing and other things.  Pretty sure that is how it populates itself.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
How do I get rid of this weed without killing off good plants?  It comes up from the ground but then grows in between and over everything.  I can pull it out by hand easy enough but it is everywhere and I can't get all of it.  

The weed has fibers all over it that will cause it to stick to clothing and other things.  Pretty sure that is how it populates itself.  
View Quote

What are the good plants (grass type/plant name/etc)? You just want to make sure whatever selective herbicide you use will not damage the nearby good plants. I'm not familiar with the pictured weeds but I'm certain someone more knowledgeable can chime in with proper identification and recommendation if they know what plants you don't want hurt/killed accidentally.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/weed2_JPG-3189526.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/weed1_JPG-3189525.jpg
View Quote

That looks like goose grass, AKA catchweed bedstraw. Mixed in with desirable ornamentals hand removal is about all you can do without damaging what you want to keep. It is an annual that sprouts from seeds every year so a pre-emergent like Dimension could help if you get it down before the seeds germinate in the spring.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotDeaf] [#14]
Hi Folks, just ran into this thread. Northeast Ohio here. A bit colder then @Cobalt135 Central Ohio.

Here’s some issues, I’m trying to deal with, hopefully someone can help me.
Currently mowing about 3 acres (130,000 sqft), as some would say, that’s small, but it’s a beast. Running a Zero turn with a 64” cut with mulching blades.

Granule Fertilizer is expensive, there must be a better way. Burning through about 350 lbs of 28-0-4, roughly cost $400. Which applied about every 3 years. In the other years, using Gordon’s liquid 20-0-0, which if about half the price $200, but not as effective but overall continues to make my grass green, using a 10’ boom sprayer and Crab Grass / Weed killer as well in the same treatment.
What's an alternative compared to buying bagged fertilizer?

How often to you mow your lawn? Me, in the spring, is like every 4 days. You miss a day, you’re screwed, it looks like the first harvest hay season. I would really like to bag it (that’s another purchase) what do I do with all the grass? And that’s a lot of grass.

*Edit – Also core aeration in the fall, should it also be done in the Spring, as in now?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NotDeaf:
Hi Folks, just ran into this thread. Northeast Ohio here. A bit colder then @Cobalt135 Central Ohio.

Here's some issues, I'm trying to deal with, hopefully someone can help me.
Currently mowing about 3 acres (130,000 sqft), as some would say, that's small, but it's a beast. Running a Zero turn with a 64" cut with mulching blades.

Granule Fertilizer is expensive, there must be a better way. Burning through about 350 lbs of 28-0-4, roughly cost $400. Which applied about every 3 years. In the other years, using Gordon's liquid 20-0-0, which if about half the price $200, but not as effective but overall continues to make my grass green, using a 10' boom sprayer and Crab Grass / Weed killer as well in the same treatment.
What's an alternative compared to buying bagged fertilizer?

How often to you mow your lawn? Me, in the spring, is like every 4 days. You miss a day, you're screwed, it looks like the first harvest hay season. I would really like to bag it (that's another purchase) what do I do with all the grass? And that's a lot of grass.

*Edit   Also core aeration in the fall, should it also be done in the Spring, as in now?
View Quote

I don't apply liquid fert. except to some landscape plants and flowers so not going to be any help there.

Spring mowing here with a fertilized lawn is every 4 to 5 days typically, especially if you want to follow the 'only cut 1/3 of the grass blade' which I don't always do.  Weather obviously factors in. Mowed this past Sunday and will cut again this evening since it could rain tomorrow afternoon and Thursday night.

Bagging is just taking away nutrients that would have made it back into the soil.

Aeration in the spring on cool season grass just opens up the soil to allow any weeds to germinate (and destroys any pre-emergent barrier you had applied) and can cause the soil to lose moisture more easily as the days are getting warmer until the plugs break up and re-fill the holes.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

That looks like goose grass, AKA catchweed bedstraw. Mixed in with desirable ornamentals hand removal is about all you can do without damaging what you want to keep. It is an annual that sprouts from seeds every year so a pre-emergent like Dimension could help if you get it down before the seeds germinate in the spring.
View All Quotes

Hand removal will be a time consuming task.  It is everywhere in the yard, flower beds, and gardens.  Does it need to be removed as well or is pulling it out and leaving it on the ground this time of year good enough?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Hand removal will be a time consuming task.  It is everywhere in the yard, flower beds, and gardens.  Does it need to be removed as well or is pulling it out and leaving it on the ground this time of year good enough?
View All Quotes

If you leave it on the ground you are helping it to distribute seeds. I would remove it to help interrupt the cycle. What is in the yard can be controlled with a selective herbicide that your grass is tolerant to, unfortunately though your garden and ornamentals can't tolerate much for herbicides.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]

If you leave it on the ground you are helping it to distribute seeds. I would remove it to help interrupt the cycle. What is in the yard can be controlled with a selective herbicide that your grass is tolerant to, unfortunately though your garden and ornamentals can't tolerate much for herbicides.
View All Quotes

Does it have seeds now or later in the year?  Everything here just started the spring growth spurt.  The perennial areas are the worst as I don't touch it with any type of herbicide and typically don't weed the area much.  Most of the garden area is perenialls.

Are there seeds on these already or do they need to flower and then develop the seeds?  Previous years I just pulled it up and left it...clearly that has not been effective.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Pre-emergent is the key to low-maintenance perennial beds.

View Quote

I wasn't sure if it would be ok to use around perennials but it looks ok for what I have.  I will pull it or what I can and then put Preen down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Update on the new yard(s). Core aeration is done and have been maintaining the front yard at .4". Has a long way to go until it's as nice looking as my previous yard but will get there. I will be sand leveling once we are well into the summer months and past the rainy season.

Shot of the masonry work we had done for the flower bed edging. Still need to get a planter for the pedestal and some flowers to add a bit of color.

Close up of a dwarf Japanese maple I planted about a month ago.

The back is waking up nicely as well especially with the help of the added nitrogen apps courtesy of my GSD.

Same guys that did the flower bed masonry also built us a little outdoor kitchen.

Of course no new construction home is complete without builder trash in your yard. My reel mower found this rebar left over while scalping from what I presume was a temporary power meter grounding stake. Luckily the greenskeeper that services my mower was able to bend the reel blade back but still had to buy a new bedknife. That was not a fun day.

And here's a before and after of my elderly mother's back yard whom purchased the property next door. First pic is from March and second is today. Celsius + Sertay app plus some hand pulling and it's starting to look halfway decent.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:05:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinSpinner] [#26]
@SWIRE

You're going to have to pull it by hand this year.   As you clear an area, sprinkle Preen all over your flower beds. (Try not to put it ON the ornamental plants, except for the vinca.   You can't kill that so don't worry.  Sprinkle away.)   You will need to reapply Preen every three months.

Toss the cleavers in a pile, then pick it up and put it in the trash.  It smooshes down much smaller than it seems like it would. It kind of collapses.  

FYI, this is not in fact goosegrass.   That's something else, and is a good reason to use scientific names, cuz regionally the names really vary.  But those scientific names can be really offputting.  If you type in "Cleavers" you will normally get this plant, though.  It grows pretty much everywhere around the country as far as I know, though maybe not in the deep south or southwest--not sure about that.  If @TheStig doesn't know it as a weed, maybe it doesn't grow down there.  

Since you have mixed perennial beds, you should absolutely read the label  HERE and avoid anything it says you should avoid.

It is my experience that NO granular pre-emergent herbicide is labeled for use around hydrangea (at least, it wasn't last time I looked) so I just stay back a little, away from the roots.

In GRASS, you can use 2,4-D and/or other broadleaf herbicides.  But not in your landscape beds.  

Unfortunately there is no selective herbicide that will get just the plants you want gone.  We all want that, but it doesn't exist.

View All Quotes
@SWIRE

You're going to have to pull it by hand this year.   As you clear an area, sprinkle Preen all over your flower beds. (Try not to put it ON the ornamental plants, except for the vinca.   You can't kill that so don't worry.  Sprinkle away.)   You will need to reapply Preen every three months.

Toss the cleavers in a pile, then pick it up and put it in the trash.  It smooshes down much smaller than it seems like it would. It kind of collapses.  

FYI, this is not in fact goosegrass.   That's something else, and is a good reason to use scientific names, cuz regionally the names really vary.  But those scientific names can be really offputting.  If you type in "Cleavers" you will normally get this plant, though.  It grows pretty much everywhere around the country as far as I know, though maybe not in the deep south or southwest--not sure about that.  If @TheStig doesn't know it as a weed, maybe it doesn't grow down there.  

Since you have mixed perennial beds, you should absolutely read the label  HERE and avoid anything it says you should avoid.

It is my experience that NO granular pre-emergent herbicide is labeled for use around hydrangea (at least, it wasn't last time I looked) so I just stay back a little, away from the roots.

In GRASS, you can use 2,4-D and/or other broadleaf herbicides.  But not in your landscape beds.  

Unfortunately there is no selective herbicide that will get just the plants you want gone.  We all want that, but it doesn't exist.

You are right about the plant names being somewhat regional, goosegrass is a common name for that plant here as is catchweed or bedstraw like I mentioned.

For example:

Galium aparine
Common Name(s):

Catchweed Bedstraw Cleavers Goosegrass Stickyweed Sticky willy Velcro plant

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/galium-aparine/

I've heard of medicinal uses for it but more familiar with it's use in cheese making. All that's fine if you are trying to cultivate it for those uses but it's a nuisance otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm getting standing water in my yard from my sprinklers and this is after I core aerated it this spring, added some pelletized gypsum, added sand, and then ran a drag over it.  

This is how many holes I made with the aerator.

This was taken while running the sprinkler, so it should be wet but I don't understand how there is standing water just from the sprinklers after aerating it the way I did.  Even an hour after turning off the sprinklers the ground makes a squishing noise as I walk on it.  At this point is liquid Air8 needed?  More core aeration?  Top dressing with better quality soil since I have a lot of clay?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm looking forward to what others reply with, but where I live it is all clay under a thin top layer.  Standing water is a thing for my "level" parts of my yard.  There aren't many places that are level, but it is the solid clay under it that holds the water so well in my yard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheStig] [#30]
I'm getting standing water in my yard from my sprinklers and this is after I core aerated it this spring, added some pelletized gypsum, added sand, and then ran a drag over it.  

This is how many holes I made with the aerator.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/backyard_aerated2-3183435.jpg

This was taken while running the sprinkler, so it should be wet but I don't understand how there is standing water just from the sprinklers after aerating it the way I did.  Even an hour after turning off the sprinklers the ground makes a squishing noise as I walk on it.  At this point is liquid Air8 needed?  More core aeration?  Top dressing with better quality soil since I have a lot of clay?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/surface_water_JPG-3195164.jpg
View Quote

How long are you running the sprinklers for? You may need to set them up to cycle and soak. Run the sprinklers for a few min then let the water soak into the ground a set amount of time then rinse and repeat until you get the total amount of water down you want. I do this in my yard with my Rachio irrigation controller automatically which makes it dummy-proof but still needs fine tuning. It's mostly a trial and error thing where you'll need to see how long each zone takes to saturate the ground to the point you start observing water run-off. The goal being you only water that zone a limited time before you start observing water run-off or pooling then stop the zone and let it soak in 15/20/45 minutes or however long it takes for your soil, then start up the zone again.

If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea to do what's referred to as a "tuna-can test" (a quick youtube search will come up with some videos on how to do it) - basically you want to measure how long it takes for each sprinkler zone to put down a measured amount of water then from that you can determine how long each zone should run based on what you are watering and how much water it needs.

Hope this helps!

ETA: There could also just be dips or grading issues in the yard as well which are more difficult to resolve. That could require re-grading or plumbing in drainage like catch basins or a french drain.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#31]
My main goal at this point is to get new grass seed to germinate and the baby grass to grow.  If you look closely you can see the baby grass starting to up in the bare spots.  I've done all I can to regrade, amend the soil, and aerate up to now.  Standing water isn't deal breaking while trying to get the grass to germinate but once it is growing well I know the problem will continue. I bought a pull behind core aerator and will keep using it but clearly there is something else needed in the soil to get the water water to drain.

The sprinklers are manual at this point.  I fire up a generator at the creek and just run them for hours at time.  That day it had run about an hour when I took the picture.  Not sure how much water was put down.  That area would be covered by 1 sprinkler head that shoots out a 40' arc of water.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#32]
My main goal at this point is to get new grass seed to germinate and the baby grass to grow.  If you look closely you can see the baby grass starting to up in the bare spots.  I've done all I can to regrade, amend the soil, and aerate up to now.  Standing water isn't deal breaking while trying to get the grass to germinate but once it is growing well I know the problem will continue. I bought a pull behind core aerator and will keep using it but clearly there is something else needed in the soil to get the water water to drain.

The sprinklers are manual at this point.  I fire up a generator at the creek and just run them for hours at time.  That day it had run about an hour when I took the picture.  Not sure how much water was put down.  That area would be covered by 1 sprinkler head that shoots out a 40' arc of water.
View Quote

Gotchya. I would still probably water in shorter intervals with some soaking time in between. Leaving it on for the full hour is just saturating the top of the soil and not letting it soak in. Clay takes much longer to soak up water but it does hold water remarkably well. While it's not the exact same as my in-ground irrigation, the premise is still relevant. We have clay soil here and I only run my sprinklers in 5-10 min intervals max at a time with about a 30 min soak time. It's just the nature of clay soils and the only way to really change soil profile will be over a long period of time with frequent soil amendments.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#33]
You are going to need to add organic material and possibly gypsum and it will be an ongoing thing.  Sand can become counter productive in clay.

Here us a little read i found. https://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/diamonds-clay-soils-are-forever#:~:text=%E2%80%9CNo%20amount%20of%20sand%20added,as%20the%20potter

Explaining why a soil test is needed to figure out if gypsum will actually work on your soil chemistry.

Stop Applying Gypsum For Clay Soil & Lawns - Lawn Care How To

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#34]

That's called Cleavers.  I'm making medicine out of it today.

View Quote

You need any more?  My crop of Cleavers is doing great!  

I've been pulling some out as I have time.  This is in a different section of the garden that I haven't gotten to yet.  I did pick up a big container of Preen.  I'm hoping to get to the weeding phase of beds soon.  

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top