BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#1]
February 2024 update

Anna and Dorsett Golden started flowering about the 2nd week of February.

Just a hint of buds starting to come out of dormancy on Fujis

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pulled back old mulch, mixed a pound of sulfur and 2 pounds of 13-13-13 with manure and spread around trees.  Then covered with new mulch.

5 new trees coming from out of state in mid-march:

King David (2)
Wickson Crab
Williams pride
Ashmead kernel

So far, it's looking like I might get a handful of apples off the Anna and d golden this summer
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Think about grafting....

My Grandfather was a genius at grafting fruit trees, and I don't suppose nut trees are that different.  He would graft the trees so there would be four kinds of apples, plums, cherries, peaches/nectarines on each tree...so with four trees he had 16 different fruits.  Even as a kid I thought that was cool.  I was only about 7 years old when he showed me how to do it, but while I always wanted to try it, I never have done it yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Going to wind up with a good crop on the Anna and Dorsett.  I count at least 10 clusters of 3 to 5 each on both trees

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Added 5 more apple trees.  Ashmeads kernel, 2 king david, wickson crab and Williams pride
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Added 2 Rio Grande peach trees
Attachment Attached File

Thinned out some apples.  Dina is not amused
Attachment Attached File

Some of the new trees are blooming and blossoming.  Could be the drastic climate change from NY to south Texas
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Anna
Attachment Attached File

Dorsett Golden
Attachment Attached File

They really seem to be ripening up fast.
Attachment Attached File

Blech.   Caterpillars seem to love apple trees.
Attachment Attached File

From what I was reading, I was expecting it to be around the middle of June before harvest on either the Anna or Dorsett Golden but seems like sooner is more likely.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Just so I remember, the one fuji only put out 1 cluster of flowers, about 1st week of April.  Other Fuji was slower to bloom and has not put out flowers at all.

Pink lady bloomed about the same time but has likewise not produced any blossoms.

Unsure if it's a lack of chill hours or what.  I'm curious to see what happens next spring.

If nothing happens after a few years, I might cut them and  graft new varieties onto the old rootstock.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top