Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
We were on the northern end of the storm and got a ton of rain and wind.
Woke up to wind and about an inch of snow...
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Tornado warning last night here around 8pm central-radar indicated

Lost power about 7:30 and it was back on by 11

Good bit of rain

Windy and sunny now
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixpackinOk] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dairyfarmer:

A lot of people around here spray the outside of their houses with an insecticide in the fall. I can't remember what it is, but the local farm supply carries it. Some of the local pest control businesses offer the service too.

The last few years they haven't been bad around here, not sure why.
View Quote

I think it was four years ago, it lasted a couple of years really, that I had a really bad wasp problem at my house. I sprayed (Edited to give correct spray) Bifen XTS 25.1% concentrate, mixed to the suggested ratio BTW. I wasn't really going for the wasps at the time, just doing the normal bug spraying I do. Well, after about a week, there were NO more wasps, and it wasn't until the third year after that they started coming back. It decimated them. The bad thing is, the spray is deadly to cats until it dries. I just spray in the morning and keep mine inside for the day and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that stuff is good for ticks also.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

So guessing you mean Pyrethrin OR Permethrin?

View Quote

Someone needs to know what I mean, LOL. I looked my order up, and I had it mixed up with some different spray I used in my barns. It was Bifen XTS 25.1% concentrate. I mixed it according to the direction also. I have no idea why it took care of the wasps for so long, but it did. They don't have the exact stuff on Amazon anymore, so I don't know if they quit making it or if Amazon just quit selling it. I edited the original post to clarify it also.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
would love something to kill wasps and yellow jackets but don't want to take a chance on killing the honey bees too
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]

OHHH...Bifenthrin!

That is an excellent chemical, and you got the one with the oil carrier, so that makes it last longer.

I use Bifenthrin a LOT.  

Do be certain to follow the label. Cuz you don't want to build resistance in the populations you want to control.

ETA:   You can still get it at Do My Own.

View Quote

I had to go some feed for T-Bone4 and Ribeye4, my two fat steers, and the local feed store has it. It's even priced about the same, maybe a couple of bucks higher. And I agree 100% on following the label.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got windy and some rain in WI.
All good here.
I've seen a lot of crazy tornado vids lately.
It's been a brutal year so far for twisters!
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

Like I said, they go behind the gutter and into the soffit. There is nothing showing on the outside, but they've been nesting there for years.

See the higher gutter, in the top right corner of the pic? That's where they go. They were going in at a certain spot, so we caulked over it, they just go in a few inches over.

https://i.postimg.cc/0Nqy5twN/2021-6-12_Back_Door_Replaced_(1).jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Df18btjt/2022-10-3_Red_Wasps_(2).jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/BQgbm2Gp/2022-10-3_Red_Wasps_(13).jpg

View Quote

The ones I had were behind the gutters, behind the soffit, behind the siding , and I'm pretty sure behind everything else they could hide behind. I wasted a lot of spray cans trying to get rid of them, and the Bifen XTS is what did the trick finally. Like K-w-S said BE CAREFUL and dress for the occasion! One time I was spraying and the wind came up a little before I was done. I was ok until that happened, but I had the spray come back on me a couple of times. Even with showring right after getting finished I still got a "tingly" feeling for a couple of hours. It is basically chemical warfare agent. Not meaning to sound preachy, but it can be dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Ran into my own mailbox this morning.  Stopped at the end of my lane to check traffic, very dark and eyes zapped by phone light.  I guess I thought I was farther out in the road than I was, turned hard and scraped the mailbox down the whole side of the truck.  Guess I am lucky I didn't end up in the soggy ditch.  Mailbox post is fine, but the mailbox is very twisted and the door hinge broken.  Picked up a new mailbox at HD today and got it installed tonight... no numbers though.  Should be able to bash the old one back in shape to have as a spare in case we have some more mailbox baseball.  Wife is out of town and may not have even noticed but I did tell her.  Hard to hide that much of a pinstripe on the truck too.  It's not random stuff breaking that's annoying, it's these own goals.  Get your shit together, self!
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Ran into my own mailbox this morning.  Stopped at the end of my lane to check traffic, very dark and eyes zapped by phone light.  I guess I thought I was farther out in the road than I was, turned hard and scraped the mailbox down the whole side of the truck.  Guess I am lucky I didn't end up in the soggy ditch.  Mailbox post is fine, but the mailbox is very twisted and the door hinge broken.  Picked up a new mailbox at HD today and got it installed tonight... no numbers though.  Should be able to bash the old one back in shape to have as a spare in case we have some more mailbox baseball.  Wife is out of town and may not have even noticed but I did tell her.  Hard to hide that much of a pinstripe on the truck too.  It's not random stuff breaking that's annoying, it's these own goals.  Get your shit together, self!
View Quote
Ouch!
That sucks man.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#29]
Thankfully, the storms went north & west of us. We just got a little wind and a smattering of rain.

Making solid progress outside. New hives are set and ready for the bees we're picking up this afternoon. We think we lost a queen in one of our over-wintered colonies, so I moved a frame with new eggs into that hive and pulled a few cells - hoping for the best with that!

Got most of the weed-pulling done outside. I had a boatload of nasty little vines taking over a large area. Killed my back, but had to be done. Hand-splitting a bunch of wood actually seemed to help.

Got 5 cu yds of garden soil delivered to top off the veggie beds and 15 yds of mulch, too. We also picked up some veggie plants which we weren't able to get started/keep alive (for one reason or another). The GF got a bunch of perennials she planted and we got two apple and one peach tree I'll get in the ground today, too (I might wait until tomorrow, though, as I'm told digging is a no-no on Good Friday. Strange I never heard of that...).

I'm surrounded by woods, so the one/only place I think I can grow the fruit trees is where they're going (fingers crossed)! At least that one place is close to the bees...

Then, it'll be time to get the flowerbeds cleared out and the yards free of leaves. It seems every year we'll get rain when I have time to rake/blow, so it's always a springtime job - much to my chagrin.

Too much more done/needs to be done to list!

Hope everyone has a happy Easter!
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#30]
Just got some wind from the storms thankfully, still blew 4 shingles off the roof though

It was an interesting week- I ended up bartering a few hours of labor for 50 steel T-posts, worked out to about $2.50/post vs $6.50/post at the farm supply. Needed them for the 700' of fence left to put up, but I suspect I will also need to borrow a big ass hammer drill to bust the inevitable rocks everywhere. Already tried renting an electric jackhammer with disappointing results- my smaller hammer drill worked better

I've been trying to keep my workload light (didn't work out though) because for the next month two of us will have to take turns staying with my grandfather while my other uncle recovers from surgery.

Stayed with him Saturday to Monday, worked 32 hours from Tuesday to Thursday, now I'll be back with him until Sunday. I'm worn out

At some point during all this I need to finish cutting and hauling posts for a 16x32 shed and split the last 4 locust logs for the partly decorative split rail fence out front
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 4:45:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]

I know it seems like there isn't time, but take an afternoon and go fishing or just sit in the woods or something.

I don't know how your grandfather is doing, but elder care takes a HUGE amount of energy that has nothing to do with the physical body, and will break you down quicker than anything I've ever seen.   I think it's because it sucks your energy so much there is just nothing left for you.

We do it, and we do it gladly, but....don't forget to "put your oxygen mask on first."  Cuz if you go down, loved ones go with you.

View Quote

Compared to most elder caregivers I have it easy. I pretty much just cook, wash dishes, feed animals, fix fences, drive when/if needed, and make sure he doesn't fall or hurt himself. He can be shockingly spry for 96- last time he wanted to help me cut some trees and felled faster than I could delimb

It all depends on how he feels, but even on his bad days he pretty much just watches TV and hangs out inside.

Just the cumulative effect of the last couple weeks have me complaining I guess
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I always had an enclosed pen inside the run, so they could see each other, and not be total strangers. For when I let them out of there, I kept rocks around the edges of the steps leading into the coop. I left a gap big enough for the little ones, but the adults couldn't get under there, so there was always an escape. You can *kind of* see it in this pic;

https://i.postimg.cc/qqYDSYjG/2017-2-12_Coop_Done_(2).jpg

View Quote
That's a damn chicken hotel @67Firebird !
What material do you put on the floor of the run?

Cleaned out the feeder part of the coop today and added a higher lip to the nesting boxes in hopes they don't kick out all the straw...fat chance!
Put a half bag of new pine shavings in the coop area.
I was going to clean out the run but they came back and kicked me out!
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Straw, in the coop and in the run. DLM (Deep litter method). The run was on a slope, so it was well drained. I'd rake out the coop a couple times per year, but otherwise I just added new straw on top.

https://i.postimg.cc/Vvrz6Z1s/2012-8-17-Chickens-43.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nzMJRSXK/2014-7-14-Chickens-11.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qRJTx4Nc/2014-6-14-Chickens-12.jpg

View Quote
Looks cozy for them!
I'm thinking about extending their run this summer to give them a bit more room.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_IpNew6rns
View Quote
What do your chickens think of those snakes?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
We went to TSC this evening, and got some of this bug killer;

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/compare-n-save-indoor-outdoor-insect-control-79-bifenthrin-concentrate-117081399--1

We'll zap those red wasps with it this weekend, and I hope to report mass casualties next week.
View Quote
My local coop sells some stuff called Demon WP.
Sprayed house and soffits last week and have a bunch of dead bugs now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Did a little splitting today and built a Vtac shooting barricade over the last couple days.
Fun little project.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top