Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's awful quiet in here....is everyone still kickin'
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, just been busy.
I have a raccoon I've been trying to catch and it's winning!
First it knocked over one bird feeder on a shepards hook and bent the shit out of the other one.
I had set up a tube type trap where they have to actually put their paw in it to set it off.
And a live trap.
Tried marshmellows in both and he took the marshmellow out of the hand trap and it didn't get set off.
So I bought some canned cat food and smeared it on the trigger and set it for a hair trigger and put the rest of the can
in the live trap.
So hopefully tonight is the night!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
My sister-in-law told me this morning that raccoons ruined all of their corn plants. They didn't have a lot planted, but they have none now. They haven't bothered anything else yet, but I bet they will. If they weren't so cute they would be shot on sight, LOL.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
My sister-in-law told me this morning that raccoons ruined all of their corn plants. They didn't have a lot planted, but they have none now. They haven't bothered anything else yet, but I bet they will. If they weren't so cute they would be shot on sight, LOL.
View Quote
I caught a baby one in a live trap once and there was no way I could shoot it.
Like you said, it was way to cute.
But this one...that's a different story haha.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:54:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinSpinner] [#5]
View Quote

Raccoons are the reason I don't bother with growing corn any more. They would climb and break every stalk then take one bite out of every ear, never ate a whole one. Ruined a quarter acre field of corn in just a few nights that was just days away from harvest, now if I want corn I go buy a few ears and let someone else deal with raccoon problems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
We tried corn a couple of years and coons waited til it was just about ready and did the same deal. Every plant was either broke off or laid over and they had stripped all the corn. I think my highly trained attack canines (not) were actually telling them when it was all ready for them and kept a lookout while they raided the corn patch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:49:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nobody69s] [#8]
Got him finally!
He was not a happy camper...
Look how he tried to peel the trap apart on the right side!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Got him finally!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413870/Raccoon_jpg-2891265.JPG

View Quote

I've had them ruin a live trap before too. They can be creative trying to find a way out. Still better than trapping a skunk, at least I think it is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Not mine, seen on Reddit.  Velociraptors in action
https://www.reddit.com/r/homestead/comments/1532wj2/my_chickens_killing_an_enormous_rat_god_im_proud/
View Quote

I hope those chickens got an extra ration of corn for that!
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I caught a baby one in a live trap once and there was no way I could shoot it.
Like you said, it was way to cute.
But this one...that's a different story haha.
View Quote

So did you name it and keep it for a pet? There are a lot of people that have...they are cute when they are little, I wouldn't be able to shoot a baby one either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Ground up tomatoes to can tomato sauce.  I'm heading out of town today, so I plan to make sauce next week.  I have 5 gallons of sauce in the freezer now, plus I have roughly enough more tomatoes to grind today to make another 2 gallons.  After I cook that down it will not be so much to can, but still a lot.

And I have a lot of green tomatoes out there in the garden.

This year roma, cherry, and yellow tomatoes came in like gang busters!  The better boy and cherokee purple didn't do so well.  I probably will not try them again.  

I'm hoping the watermelons are ripe next week.  I'd like to put up more pickled rind.  It's awesome on oatmeal for breakfast and over ice cream for dessert.  

I also have a few more gallons of bell peppers to put in the freezer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#14]

I've had them ruin a live trap before too. They can be creative trying to find a way out. Still better than trapping a skunk, at least I think it is.
View Quote
Yeah, trapping a skunk would not be good haha.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Got him finally!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413870/Raccoon_jpg-2891265.JPG

View Quote

Never had a problem with raccoons messing up a trap but armadillos completely destroyed 2 Hav-a-hart traps. I switched to Dukes traps and haven't had any problems since.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I just checked to see if I'd caught any Raccoons, and found a Box Turtle in there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/2023-7-23_Box_Turtle__2_-2895379.jpg
View Quote

That's a new one to me, never caught a turtle before!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Like a cow on a flat rock, earlier today.

Attachment Attached File

Followed by an incredibly rare sight here... a legit rainbow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice rainbow! I bet you were glad to get the rain, hope you got enough to help out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice rainbow! I bet you were glad to get the rain, hope you got enough to help out.
View Quote

I think it tripled our YTD total rainfall.

Yeah, was happy to get it, even though it kinda ruined some of my trenches that I hadn't yet got my tubing down in.

One of the peach trees got uprooted a little so I righted it and staked it out for support until the ground dries out and stabilizes it again.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice!
I think all around, it's been a dry year.
The crops seem fine here in WI, so that's a plus!
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah!
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#25]

He or she is giving you that "But see how cute I am!" look...don't fall for it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Coonskin hats need to come into style.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:13:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SixpackinOk] [#29]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I wonder what that would cost. I imagine it'd be pretty expensive.
View Quote

You could always just sew a raccoon tail onto the back of a ballcap. The raccoon population may look a little funny running around without tails though.
ETA: On the slightly more serious side of things, I have been harvesting a lot of carrots in the past week or two. I'm surprised, I really didn't take care of them right. No thinning out or anything, although I did try to keep the weeds pulled for the most part. There are a lot of tomatoes also, but the &$^* bugs are getting too many of them. Oh well, they just get given away anyhow. Same with an apple tree out in the yard, lots of apples but lots of other things eating them, also.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I was expecting to see a cap with a raccoon tail on it! I wonder how he lost it. Besides being tough to cut off it looks like it would really affect his balance while walking and climbing. Overcome it and live, or don't and die is natures way I guess.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Never seen a coon without a tail in the wild before

Just set posts for a 16x32 pole building while I had a mini ex for the weekend, need to go to Lowes and get some lumber to start framing while I get the rafters cut
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm glad to read some of ya'll's gardens are producing well this year.

Mine is a disaster - and I don't know why! It's not large; just over 1000 sq', but we rotate everything and, this year, added a boatload of new soil, too (70 % topsoil w/30% mushroom mulch). Usually, that makes for a bumper crop, but only the weeds look happy!

Lots'a "volunteer" tomatoes, but none are producing - not the seeds started inside, nor even the ones we got at the nursery.

Granted, it's been HOT, but we've got soaker hoses buried throughout the garden plots. What a strange year - and we're praying S doesn't HTF because we've gotten shit this year!

One good thing is most of the bee colonies are doing well, although, we did lose one. We've harvested over 50# of honey this year and I expect that figure to double.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Cooking down tomatoes into sauce right now.  I will end up with roughly 2.5 -3 gallons of sauce to can up.

I went and gathered all of the green tomatoes to chop into my great-grandmother's mustard relish recipe this weekend. That will also use up the rest of the bell peppers.

I have a bushel of peaches (admittedly purchased) to make into pickled peaches, peach butter, and peach preserves tomorrow and Thursday.  

I can probably make one more jar of pickles.

There are 4 watermelons in the garden left to finish ripening.

I have a lot of basil left to make into pesto.

However, my garden has wound down.  I'm nearly ready to plow it under and plant a winter garden.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My great grandparents cast a huge shadow over me.  I live in their house, own their car, and their tractor.   This is my great grandmother's mustard pickle recipe.  It's like a chow chow.  Her recipe calls for 3qts of each vegetable,  cabbage, onions, red bell peppers,  green bell peppers,  onions, green tomatoes,  and celery.   Plus a dressing.  I cut it in half, and still made 14 pints.  It's wonderful on hamburgers,  hot dogs, greens, pinto beans, etc.  I had a great time making it and reflecting on my ancestors whom I never met but seem to emulate.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110220/20230803_201735_jpg-2907603.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110220/20230803_185337_jpg-2907604.JPG

My great grandparents cast a huge shadow over me.  I live in their house, own their car, and their tractor.   This is my great grandmother's mustard pickle recipe.  It's like a chow chow.  Her recipe calls for 3qts of each vegetable,  cabbage, onions, red bell peppers,  green bell peppers,  onions, green tomatoes,  and celery.   Plus a dressing.  I cut it in half, and still made 14 pints.  It's wonderful on hamburgers,  hot dogs, greens, pinto beans, etc.  I had a great time making it and reflecting on my ancestors whom I never met but seem to emulate.
View Quote
What type of dressing in that mix?
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Vinegar, water, sugar, turmeric, dry mustard,  and flour.

If the recipe is  desired I can transcribe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Vinegar, water, sugar, turmeric, dry mustard,  and flour.

If the recipe is  desired I can transcribe.
View Quote
I wouldn't mind it.
I'd have to taste it to see what I would like it on but it's a good way to keep their memory alive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Mamie Cooper's Mustard Pickle

Vegetables:
3qts cabbage (uncut)
3qts small onions (uncut)
3qts red bell pepper (uncut)
3qts green bell pepper (uncut)
3qts green tomatoes (uncut)
1 large bunch celery

Cut fine and let stand in brine 24 hours.  Drain, scald and drain again.

Dressing:
2qts vinegar
3lbs sugar
3tbs tumeric
9tbs dry mustard
3/4 cup flour

Mix sugar, flour, tumeric, and mustard together. Add vinegar and vegetables.  Let come to a boil.  Seal hot.

Notes:
That recipe is an exact transcription with all of the instructions.  I had to wing it a bit. I used 3 pounds instead of quarts of the measured vegetables. That's roughly half of the volumetric measurements in the original recipe. I was lazy and ran all of the vegetables through the food processor on the slicing blade. My brine was 1/4 cup pickling salt to a gallon of hot water. To scald the vegetables, I poured boiling water out of my 1 gallon electric kettle over the vegetables. Since my vegetables were roughly halved from the original recipe, I made half of the dressing. I packed the hot finished pickle in hot pint jars, then processed in a water bath for 10 minutes.  My final result was 14.5 pints canned.  

My father uses a similar recipe, but he makes it with all Vidalia onions.  It's basically the same dressing over shredded onions, processed and packed in the same manner.  He's always made it that way, and it's all I ever knew growing up.  The attempt I made at the original recipe is the first time anyone in my family has made it in over 50 years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Vegetables:
3qts cabbage (uncut)
1 large bunch celery

Dressing:
2qts vinegar
3lbs sugar
3tbs tumeric
9tbs dry mustard
3/4 cup flour

Mix sugar, flour, tumeric, and mustard together. Add vinegar and vegetables.  Let come to a boil.  Seal hot.

Notes:
That recipe is an exact transcription with all of the instructions.  I had to wing it a bit. I used 3 pounds instead of quarts of the measured vegetables. That's roughly half of the volumetric measurements in the original recipe. I was lazy and ran all of the vegetables through the food processor on the slicing blade. My brine was 1/4 cup pickling salt to a gallon of hot water. To scald the vegetables, I poured boiling water out of my 1 gallon electric kettle over the vegetables. Since my vegetables were roughly halved from the original recipe, I made half of the dressing. I packed the hot finished pickle in hot pint jars, then processed in a water bath for 10 minutes.  My final result was 14.5 pints canned.  

My father uses a similar recipe, but he makes it with all Vidalia onions.  It's basically the same dressing over shredded onions, processed and packed in the same manner.  He's always made it that way, and it's all I ever knew growing up.  The attempt I made at the original recipe is the first time anyone in my family has made it in over 50 years.
View Quote

My mother made a relish similar to that. I'm certain it didn't have flour in it though, that seems like an odd ingredient to me. I would certainly eat some though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Vegetables:
3qts cabbage (uncut)
1 large bunch celery

Dressing:
2qts vinegar
3lbs sugar
3tbs tumeric
9tbs dry mustard
3/4 cup flour

Notes:

View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

My mother made a relish similar to that. I'm certain it didn't have flour in it though, that seems like an odd ingredient to me. I would certainly eat some though.
View Quote

It thickens the dressing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Ran out of medium supers and used deeps on a couple hives this year. 4 deep frames produced this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Vegetables:
3qts cabbage (uncut)
1 large bunch celery

Dressing:
2qts vinegar
3lbs sugar
3tbs tumeric
9tbs dry mustard
3/4 cup flour

Notes:

View Quote
Thank you!  I will have to try to make some this or next year!
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bit of housekeeping around the chicken coop.   Thinking about putting a pole barn up in this general area.   Might have one side butt right up to the chicken fence, not sure yet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55344/20230924_175722__1__jpg-2966533.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55344/20230924_192434__1__jpg-2966534.JPG

Bit of housekeeping around the chicken coop.   Thinking about putting a pole barn up in this general area.   Might have one side butt right up to the chicken fence, not sure yet.
View Quote

I wish I had the sun and open spaces you do!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#50]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

I wish I had the sun and open spaces you do!
View Quote

Oh... its nice in ways.   I got a few things done this summer because it just could not wait (irrigation for the fruit trees) but it was just absolutely brutal this year.

Normally we get maybe a week of highs in the 100s.  This year we had like almost 4 months of 104/105 weather.   And not dry, either.

Highs in the mid to low 90s right now feels like relief.

I've got just enough space here with just few enough neighbors I can safely dove hunt.  Sadly, too much around me to set up a stand for hogs or deer.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top