User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
No, from the dish to the modem/router is a proprietary cable.

Edit;

https://i.postimg.cc/sfLDRg2Q/2022-3-3_Starlink_(7).jpg

View Quote

They also sell a longer cable and you can disable the router portion. Mine is run across the trusses in the barn to the modem. Then to cat 6, through conduit to the house
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
We have Starlink and we'll never look back. They put in fiber to our area, but like all cables run on poles through wooded countryside, the next storm will knock it down leaving us without communication.

As long as I can provide electrical power we are connected.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Close friend of mine recently ordered Starlink. Hasn’t got it yet but will have it soon. I’m going to help him install it and learn from his experience. So far, he’s about $750 or so into the equipment. I did find cheaper installation materials on Amazon so might be able to save a little on mounts etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
My friend’s StarLink kit came and he got it set up. Few initial impressions. It’s fast. His install is just temporary so far but the speed is impressive. The inside router doesn’t have a lot of broadcast power. The inside router has a plug to plug in an external router and he’s probably going to set up an external router and use that as the primary use network instead of the StarLink one.  He has a powerful and expensive router already so he’s going to use that instead.

Looks like a winner and he loves it already.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#7]
i may have to as well.   i have a camera literally 16' away from the router that often complains about poor wifi.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By taliv:
i may have to as well.   i have a camera literally 16' away from the router that often complains about poor wifi.
View Quote

My starlink router is running a camera about 45 feet away on the other side of a steel wall.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Helped my friend set up his permanent install today.  Very simple.  The power of the router wasn't impressive as expected.  He's going to try plugging in an external router to see how that does.  The StarLink router is plenty powerful for his house but outside the house is when the signal starts to fall off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Before we got fiber, I used a hacked mifi unit with an unlimited data package i got off ebay. Was 99 bucks a month, worked great as opposed to NO service. Daily speed was kinda random, I think slowest speed was 1-2 mbs and it topped at 20 mbs or so, but we could stream 4k shows off it except during really bad weather.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#11]
I am continuing to research StarLink mounting options. Unfortunately, none of the StarLink mount options work for me. I’m looking at aftermarket options but nothing is designed for the Gen3 units. Everything is for the Gen2 units. Not the end of the world but I have to figure it out before I order the system.

I might just weld up my own mount but still searching.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:08:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kerry:

My starlink router is running a camera about 45 feet away on the other side of a steel wall.
View Quote

It’s weird.  I have the router in the loft of a one room cabin over the porch.   16’ away on the other side of the porch the camera complains.  But 100’ away in exactly the same direction mounted on the other side of a fat tree I have another camera watching the road and it never has issues.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked back through the thread, and didn't see what type of mount you're looking for. Are you going with a roof mount, j-mount under an eave, or a pole mount?

Edit - Here's a flat mount I found;

https://www.trioflatmount.com/shop/p/gen3flatmount
View Quote

It has to be mounted on the south side, get around the eave, then go up and face north. I’m pretty sure I’ll just make my own mount. Thinking of using 1.5 inch black pipe. I can then assemble it. Make sure it works, tack weld it together, then I can paint it to match my house.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Yes my install will be similar to that but a few differences. Based on what I’m seeing my only real option will be to build my own. Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#18]
Got StarLink installed and cancelled the old internet service. Definitely a huge improvement in speed. Night and day difference. Definitely recommended if you need rural internet service.

Did find one odd thing. I have an older Dell laptop with Windows 7 and it will not find the StarLink router. I have the StarLink router connected to my old router via one of the RJ45 ports and it finds the old router and connects to it with no problem. All other devices in the home including another Dell laptop with Windows 10 find the StarLink router without issue. I kind of suspect it might be a Windows issue. Tried to connect to my friends StarLink router at his house and same issue. Not a serious problem but still a bit odd.

I want internet in my shop so going to try a power line Ethernet adapter and connect it directly to the StarLink router.

I did have to build my own mount. Painted it to match my house and it’s working well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Signing up for starlink this year for the mongolia property, should let me stream from the ger.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I've looked around, and it looks like the it'll mount the same way as previous generations. You just remove the kickstand, and put the pole mount in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Starlink_V3_Mount-3125503.jpg

Start at 13min in this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tic7wB3Ytiw

This video is from Starlink, and it says that you can see the kit on their site once you've ordered the dish. (shop.starlink.com). It shows changing to the pole mount, and it includes the pipe/mast adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4o-_aBmGBw
View Quote

The reviews I've read of that mount all complain about the shallow pipe depth. Not sure if Starlink is updating/fixing that problem.

Other than that, I'm sold on Starlink. Even sitting on the ground I get really good speeds. If I could get it in the air above the house, it'd be outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, make sure that you have enough unobstructed view of the sky. You can put the Starlink app on your phone, then check for obstructions. We have a lot of trees, so we were limited on where we could mount it. We started with it on a wagon in the front yard, until we could have it mounted on the house.

https://i.postimg.cc/rp5Rk8H3/2022-3-4_Starlink.jpg

View Quote

LOL. i couldn't find a good spot with the app. so i stuck it on my skidsteer and moved it around a little. then put an 8' post in the best spot.

i am more than satisfied with my starlink.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Got StarLink installed and cancelled the old internet service. Definitely a huge improvement in speed. Night and day difference. Definitely recommended if you need rural internet service.

Did find one odd thing. I have an older Dell laptop with Windows 7 and it will not find the StarLink router. I have the StarLink router connected to my old router via one of the RJ45 ports and it finds the old router and connects to it with no problem. All other devices in the home including another Dell laptop with Windows 10 find the StarLink router without issue. I kind of suspect it might be a Windows issue. Tried to connect to my friends StarLink router at his house and same issue. Not a serious problem but still a bit odd.

I want internet in my shop so going to try a power line Ethernet adapter and connect it directly to the StarLink router.

I did have to build my own mount. Painted it to match my house and it's working well.
View Quote
Our TV would not connect for the longest time.
Then out of the blue it connected to the dtarlink router.

FILs apple computer also does not connect to starlink. Not sure how old it is.
I have not messed with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Our TV would not connect for the longest time.
Then out of the blue it connected to the dtarlink router.

FILs apple computer also does not connect to starlink. Not sure how old it is.
I have not messed with it.
View Quote

We've had Starlink for a year and a half and haven't had any problems.  We use a mix of Apple laptops, Windows machines and Samsung tvs.  All have connected w/o issue.  I did, however, connect a separate router to it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I gotta get out of the city eventually.

This will probably be my best option.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#27]

I did have to build my own mount. Painted it to match my house and it’s working well.
View Quote

@ColtRifle

Pics of your install?

I build and sell mounts for a living - starlink made the gen 3 just about impossible to adapt to with that stupid kickstand.

They even recalled their pole mount adapter for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#28]
Originally Posted By stewie97:

@ColtRifle

Pics of your install?

I build and sell mounts for a living - starlink made the gen 3 just about impossible to adapt to with that stupid kickstand.

They even recalled their pole mount adapter for it.
View Quote

Sorry I don't post pics on this forum any more.  

I've seen a couple issues with my install so far but not with my part.  The StarLink mount is a bit flimsy the way I have mine mounted.  Its ok 95% of the time but we had some wind today and it got slightly out of alignment and I had to adjust it.  I bought THIS mount.  I made an L shape out of 1 inch black iron pipe.  Assembled it with high strength JB weld on the threads.  I screwed it to the front deck post with a floor flange. I painted it to roughly match the house color.  The wide end is a little loose over the 1 inch pipe so I used some rubber pads to fill it out.  That part fits perfectly and my mount is rock solid.  I could hang from it if I wanted to.  It's screwed into the post with 4 inch lag bolts.  The StarLink pipe for the Standard Wall mount fits into the amazon linked mount but it's a little loose and when I screwed down the set screw, it bent the pipe on the StarLink mount.  So, I'll probably have to make some changes later.  It's ok for the moment but I think I'll have to make some changes in the near future.  I might buy the pipe mount later and play with it.  

My friend purchased one of THESE mounts for the router.  It's 3d printed but really well made.  I've got one ordered now.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Bought a set of power line adapters to send internet to my shop via the power lines. Getting around 40Mbps out in the shop. That’s plenty fast enough for me for what I’ll use it for. Even that is faster than the service I had.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I’ve ran for about a year. It’s fast enough for multiple streaming TVs and bugvduenlosd and uploads. Way better than anything else I’ve ran
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#31]
We have had it for a couple years now.  Love it!  Supply's Internet for both my house and my parents house on the same property.  No issues streaming on multiple TVs in both houses at the same time.

We tried every WISP in the county before this, blows them all out of the water.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Figured out the laptop issue with the StarLink router.  For some reason I mistakenly thought it had Windows 7 but verified it has Windows 10.  To make a long story short, the StarLink router is WIFI 6.  My laptop with Windows 10 isn't compatible with WIFI 6.  So, it's not the StarLink router....it's any WIFI 6 router.  

Not the end of the world it just means I need a new laptop!  I have my old router plugged into the StarLink router and it's working well.  The Gen3 StarLink router has two built in ethernet ports so it's easy to add more connections.  

Anyway, it's been working great.  Very happy with it and would definitely recommend StarLink to anyone who needs rural high speed internet.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#33]
What generation did you go with? Gen2 or Gen3? Looking at going this route. Our internet is good but the tower they use was bought out and we are loosing our service so I need to get this going asap just don’t know which version to go with
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Figured out the laptop issue with the StarLink router.  For some reason I mistakenly thought it had Windows 7 but verified it has Windows 10.  To make a long story short, the StarLink router is WIFI 6.  My laptop with Windows 10 isn't compatible with WIFI 6.  So, it's not the StarLink router....it's any WIFI 6 router.  

Not the end of the world it just means I need a new laptop!  I have my old router plugged into the StarLink router and it's working well.  The Gen3 StarLink router has two built in ethernet ports so it's easy to add more connections.  

Anyway, it's been working great.  Very happy with it and would definitely recommend StarLink to anyone who needs rural high speed internet.  

View Quote
You may just want to get a USB WiFi 6 adapter for less than $40.  Here is a random one.

Amazon Product
  • \ud835\udc0f\ud835\udc25\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc1a\ud835\udc2c\ud835\udc1e \ud835\udc1d\ud835\udc28\ud835\udc30\ud835\udc27\ud835\udc25\ud835\udc28\ud835\udc1a\ud835\udc1d \ud835\udc2d\ud835\udc21\ud835\udc1e \ud835\udc25\ud835\udc1a\ud835\udc2d\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc2c\ud835\udc2d \ud835\udc1d\ud835\udc2b\ud835\udc22\ud835\udc2f\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc2b \ud835\udc1f\ud835\udc2b\ud835\udc28\ud835\udc26 \ud835\udc13\ud835\udc0f-\ud835\udc0b\ud835\udc22\ud835\udc27\ud835\udc24 \ud835\udc30\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc1b\ud835\udc2c\ud835\udc22\ud835\udc2d\ud835\udc1e \ud835\udc1f\ud835\udc28\ud835\udc2b \ud835\udc2d\ud835\udc21\ud835\udc1e \ud835\udc1b\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc2c\ud835\udc2d \ud835\udc2e\ud835\udc2c\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc2b \ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc31\ud835\udc29\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc2b\ud835\udc22\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc27\ud835\udc1c\ud835\udc1e

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sigpros:
What generation did you go with? Gen2 or Gen3? Looking at going this route. Our internet is good but the tower they use was bought out and we are loosing our service so I need to get this going asap just don’t know which version to go with
View Quote

I don't know if you can buy anything but the Gen3.  I have zero complaints about the Gen3 that I have but of course, no experience with the Gen2.  

Not sure how fast you have now but we love it.  Much much faster than what we had.  We got rid of Dish and stream everything.  With Dish gone and paying for 3 streaming services, we have plenty to watch and have even found some programing we would never have found if we would have stayed with our old service.  We are also paying about $80 less.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Grimjaw5:
You may just want to get a USB WiFi 6 adapter for less than $40.  Here is a random one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CX7K326J

View Quote

Interesting.  I appreciate you posting it.  Honestly though, I don't need it.  I have my laptop connected to my old router and it runs to the StarLink router.  Works great.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]
We are paying $112 a month now so it will be about the same cost wise. We do stream now and my son will play Xbox every once in awhile with his friends. We have had a few outages which hopefully we won’t have with with starlink. We did the app test and it said we might have trouble with video calls but should be fine with streaming

I am not looking forward to installing it myself. But I guess that’s what I will have to do. We will probably order it in the next few days
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#38]
We are paying $112 a month now so it will be about the same cost wise. We do stream now and my son will play Xbox every once in awhile with his friends. We have had a few outages which hopefully we won’t have with with starlink. We did the app test and it said we might have trouble with video calls but should be fine with streaming

I am not looking forward to installing it myself. But I guess that’s what I will have to do. We will probably order it in the next few days
View Quote

What were you using now?  Latency is Starlink's weakness, it is getting better but probably will always be worse than terrestrial connections.  So gaming where ping is important is tough.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you have fairly good Sprint reception? It's only $50 a month and it's much faster than Starlight if you have good reception. I live 25 miles from nearest town but only a mile or two from Sprint Tower by the highway
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

What were you using now?  Latency is Starlink's weakness, it is getting better but probably will always be worse than terrestrial connections.  So gaming where ping is important is tough.
View Quote
No real problems with gaming up here in Bush AK even with less starlink satellites

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:53:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#41]

View Quote

It’s extremely easy to install. Extremely simple to set up. Just make sure you have the app on your phone. I ordered it through the app and everything worked perfectly.

I would set it up first before you run the wires. Just set it up in the yard and get it all working. Then install your mount and run the wire.

One thing worth noting….when you unplug the router it takes a few mins to reestablish the connection once you plug it back in. Be patient!

I bet you won’t have any issues. Have you run a speed test on your existing system? Download a speed test app and test what you have now. Post what you are getting now and what you get with StarLink! If you have questions on install, post them here and I’ll try to help. Don’t be worried though….it’s really easy!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#42]
We have KC Coyote internet. I googled internet speed test and did the one that popped up and this is what it came up with. And I have no idea what it means Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#43]
We have KC Coyote internet. I googled internet speed test and did the one that popped up and this is what it came up with. And I have no idea what it means https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/IMG_1693_png-3176738.JPG
View Quote

Your speed is ok.  Not great but ok.  It'll work for most things.  

StarLink will blow it away as long as you have an unobstructed view of the sky.  We run 150-300 download speeds and 12-25 upload speeds.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#44]

StarLink will blow it away as long as you have an unobstructed view of the sky.  We run 150-300 download speeds and 12-25 upload speeds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
We have KC Coyote internet. I googled internet speed test and did the one that popped up and this is what it came up with. And I have no idea what it means https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/IMG_1693_png-3176738.JPG

Agreed, Starlink will do much better on speed and the ping will be about the same.  

If other people game effectively, then it should be fine.  I thought people wanted pings around 10, but if 30 is okay then it's good.

One thing worth noting….when you unplug the router it takes a few mins to reestablish the connection once you plug it back in. Be patient!

This is a factor, very noticeable compared to the average cable or DSL modem connection.  Even little power blips, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Well looks like we should have at least the same internet we can stream fine it will buffer a little bit sometimes but not terrible. Hopefully we get some time to order it tomorrow night. I will have plenty more questions I am sure
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top