Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Stihl chainsaws (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a MS271 and it's a great saw, I'm an occasional use homeowner. I also have an Echo 355T that is a fantastic little saw for small stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kerry:

Here's a good video for you showing the difference between saws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gOWIXylqxE

View Quote

That was a good video, hadn't seen that one. One reason I was looking at the CS501p over the CS4910 was the weight difference, at least I thought. The specs I had seen showed the 501 at 10.6 and the 4910 at 13. Officially on the Echo sight they are 10.6 and 11.1, no bar and chain of course. That is not a big difference. For approx. $180.00 difference the 4910 is sounding good now. The hole gets deeper again, LOL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:

That was a good video, hadn't seen that one. One reason I was looking at the CS501p over the CS4910 was the weight difference, at least I thought. The specs I had seen showed the 501 at 10.6 and the 4910 at 13. Officially on the Echo sight they are 10.6 and 11.1, no bar and chain of course. That is not a big difference. For approx. $180.00 difference the 4910 is sounding good now. The hole gets deeper again, LOL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kerry:

Here's a good video for you showing the difference between saws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gOWIXylqxE

Both are good saws, and almost identical. I think the 4910 is a better value. I did all this research about a year ago when I needed a lighter saw for limbing and clearing land. A simple muffler mod and these saws really wake up, lots of YT vids with dyno runs to check out.

As an XP Husky guy I went straight to the Husky's in the 40- 50cc range, but my research showed me the Echo was a much better bang for the buck, and it's still orange. A year later I am still happy with my decision and the saw has held up very well with a lot of use. It hands down gets the most use out of all of my saws.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
MS261 is lighter than an MS250 and is a much better saw overall. Love mine, cut 4 to 5 cord of wood a year with it. Get a Pferd sharpener as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bdicki:
Stihl MS261
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:56:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#6]
Originally Posted By Chadnutz:
I have a 025 and a 029.  The 029 likes to bog down and die at idle sometimes.  It always starts right back up, but it is somewhat annoying.  I've never touched the carb.  Should I just bump the idle up a hair?

The 025 has always run well, but it likes to start cutting in an arc down and to the left.  I don't know why.
View Quote

It sounds like your 29 needs the carb adjusted.  Generally, when a saw starts cutting "in an arc", I'd bet the chain is getting dull.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

It sounds like you 29 needs the carb adjusted.  Generally, when a saw starts cutting "in an arc", I'd bet the chain is getting dull.
View Quote
I'll turn up the L on the 029.

Regarding the 025, this issue has seemed perpetual, regardless of chain or replaced bar.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had both on the farm. Also most of our heat is with wood. I would choose Stihl any day of the week over the other brand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By seanq:

for the win
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seanq:
Stihl MS261

for the win

yep
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chadnutz:
I'll turn up the L on the 029.

Regarding the 025, this issue has seemed perpetual, regardless of chain or replaced bar.  
View Quote
Check the antivib mounts.

On my 025 one lower mount always slips out. Even when replaced.

But most of the time when it cuts crooked is uneven sharpening,rakers or a bent bar.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have owned Stihl's in the past and currently have one small Stihl chainsaw and 2 Echo's. The Stihl problem by me is their dealer network. Sunsouth John Deere dealers sell Stihl and they act like you are inconveniencing them if you want to by a chainsaw. Want a $130,000 tractor sure but want a chainsaw they will ignore you like you are invisible. Want parts yeah when we get around to talking to you and the price changes depending on how the parts guy feels. I have a lot of Stihl power equipment. When it gets replaced Stihl will not be an option. The nearest Stihl dealer that is not Sunsouth is 50 miles away.  echo has a 5 year homeowner warranty as well. Stihl does not come close. Although I have not needed any warranty service.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
I have owned Stihl's in the past and currently have one small Stihl chainsaw and 2 Echo's. The Stihl problem by me is their dealer network. Sunsouth John Deere dealers sell Stihl and they act like you are inconveniencing them if you want to by a chainsaw. Want a $130,000 tractor sure but want a chainsaw they will ignore you like you are invisible. Want parts yeah when we get around to talking to you and the price changes depending on how the parts guy feels. I have a lot of Stihl power equipment. When it gets replaced Stihl will not be an option. The nearest Stihl dealer that is not Sunsouth is 50 miles away.  echo has a 5 year homeowner warranty as well. Stihl does not come close. Although I have not needed any warranty service.
View Quote

I've not heard of many people that have had great luck with the Echo warranty when work is needed.  

If it's not very obviously a manufacturer defect right off the bat, you'll have to fight hard.  If it's an engine issue they will blame it on bad gas, bad mix oil, or bad ratio.  There's not much that you can do to prove it otherwise.  

Anything else, if you've run the saw for any length of time at all, they will blame it on either lack of maintenance OR user error/misuse/abuse.  

So if you take it out of the box and it's fucked, they will replace the saw...but if you run the saw for 4 years, there's nothing they're going to fix.  So...that warranty is pretty empty in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I mentioned it above, but this is by far my biggest problem with Stihl. It took going through multiple dealers to find one decent with parts, and they aren't exactly convenient. My buddy that lives in the country hasn't been able to find anywhere within an hour of him that's decent for anything other than buying a new saw.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

I mentioned it above, but this is by far my biggest problem with Stihl. It took going through multiple dealers to find one decent with parts, and they aren't exactly convenient. My buddy that lives in the country hasn't been able to find anywhere within an hour of him that's decent for anything other than buying a new saw.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

I get any Husky parts I need online, I see Echo parts are available also.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:05:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#18]
I guess I should have said I am looking at Echo saws also, but everyone likes Stihl's so far...thanks everyone.
View Quote

Echos are easier to start, chains go on faste. I like both, echo cs210 gets many jobs done. The ms250 is a good saw too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#19]
Very happy with my 251 and don’t regret my purchase but in hindsight, I would have bought the 271. For what I do with it, the 251 is sufficient but the 271 would provide a little better length and power.

ETA: As someone else mentioned, the 251 seems to be kind of a “tweener” saw. In all honesty, I wish I would have bought a much lighter, smaller saw and a much heavier, larger saw instead of trying to compromise. But honestly, for a typical homeowner saw where you cut a handful of trees and limbs a year and burn a stack or so of firewood either inside and/or ourside, the 251 or 271 alone will do you just fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:39:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#20]
Stihl and their over-engineered and overly-complicated gas and oil caps.  

Just had the oil cap shit the bed on my MS-362.  Luckily, the closest Stihl dealer is only 15 miles away - and is open on Sunday.  Had my wife pick up a few.

As much as I like my Echo CS-501P 50 cc saw, it won't be bucking these two large White Oak trunks.  I'll need my MS-362CM with its 24" bar those two.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

Just had the oil cap shit the bed on my MS-362.  Luckily, the closest Stihl dealer is only 15 miles away - and is open on Sunday.  Had my wife pick up a few.

As much as I like my Echo CS-501P 50 cc saw, it won't be bucking these two large White Oak trunks.  I'll need my MS-362CM with its 24" bar those two.

https://i.imgur.com/sTOAgf1.jpg

View Quote
Those darn caps broke on me while logging by snogo. Thirty mile one way trip to borrow my FIL saw.

I always carry two extra.
But I use my older screw cap saws while on the snogo.

Wish I had those trees.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#23]
029 Super is my go-to, muffler modded with a 20” bar. Stihl equipment has always treated me well.

I have FS56 and FS250 trimmers, the 029 Super, an MS660 clone that I built, and a Husky clone climbing saw. The rest of the family has Stihls as well… 028, MS310, MS230, MS170, 009L, FS45s, battery trimmers, etc

I do not like the MS362s or MS400s, seems like my 029 has more grunt even when all 3 had 20” bars. Dealer support isn’t really an issue as I do all my own work. The local farm supply is a Stihl dealer so I just call and order my parts
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:04:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#24]
View Quote

The grad school marketing major that invented the toolless Stihl caps should be taken out into the street and shot.  Talk about a solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I finally got to look at a few Echo saws yesterday. I think I'm just going to go with a CS4920. It's $180.00 cheaper than the CS501P that I was looking at, and it looks like it would do what I need it to do for as long as it takes. May look at a smaller say also, for taking care of limbs and stuff. Just FYI, the dealer told me that at the end of March, and first of April Echo will be having 10 to 20% off sale. I can wait till then, and maybe my backpay will be here by then also. Thanks everyone, it's been an informative thread!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I have heated my house in central CT for 45+years. Not a hobby woodstove but my only heat. Some years (20%of total ) when I ran into a deal I bought wood but other than that it was all me and my saw.

I have used up one of the old Farm bosses and another (021?) smaller Stihl . Bought another mid sized Stihl with a covid check and while it is a good saw it is no farm boss .

I have two Echo saws , one the bigger Grizzley model which is actually quite similar to my old favorite farm boss and also a smaller echo for limbing.

I am in decent shape for my age of 70 but of course no spring chicken. Years ago I came to the conclusion two different sized saws are way better than one.

One medium sized saw for the heavy work and a smaller saw for limbs and lighter stuff . The two saw combo really saves your back. If you happen to get one saw pinched you have the second to cut it out .

I have a mid sized Huscavarna that doesn't impress me . Been to several different dealers to tune it and it is still quite difficult to get started and run well.

Stihl still makes a great line of saws but I believe Echo gives you a great saw and way more bang for your buck. I now have four or five seasons on the Echo saws and am very happy with them .
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Stihl MS261
View Quote

This, the Pro version.

The Pro upgrade is worth it.  Starts easier, more robust and durable so that you aren't mechanicing on it.  

The 260 series is the best saw that they make.  Relatively light, good power and torque, reliable, easy to start, high RPM.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

This, the Pro version.

The Pro upgrade is worth it.  Starts easier, more robust and durable so that you aren't mechanicing on it.  

The 260 series is the best saw that they make.  Relatively light, good power and torque, reliable, easy to start, high RPM.

View Quote

All MS261 are 'pro' version.

That model is in the professional line up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
I'd buy the brand that had the closest dealer to you.
View Quote

This is what I did.

Did all the research and narrowed it down to Stihl or Husqvarna. I would have been fine with either, both great brands.

Husqvarna not only had a couple of dealers real close to me, one of 'em was also a certified service/warranty shop. Only needed 'em once but was glad to have them close instead of driving a long ways or shipping.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I finally got to look at a few Echo saws yesterday. I think I'm just going to go with a CS4920. It's $180.00 cheaper than the CS501P that I was looking at, and it looks like it would do what I need it to do for as long as it takes. May look at a smaller say also, for taking care of limbs and stuff. Just FYI, the dealer told me that at the end of March, and first of April Echo will be having 10 to 20% off sale. I can wait till then, and maybe my backpay will be here by then also. Thanks everyone, it's been an informative thread!
View Quote

I think it will serve you well. I bought a little Jon cutter top handle China saw off Amazon for $100. It has been amazing for small limbs and to keep in the Ranger for clearing trails. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZ4JTDT?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#32]

The grad school marketing major that invented the toolless Stihl caps should be taken out into the street and shot.  Talk about solution looking for a problem.
View All Quotes

The grad school marketing major that invented the toolless Stihl caps should be taken out into the street and shot.  Talk about solution looking for a problem.

Husky did it right with their flip caps.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Advance:
I've got a MS250 and it is more chainsaw than I honestly need (semi-annual firewood and storm cleanup). I went into the ACE Hardware set on a 261 but the sales guy talked me down to reality. Had it for a few years and zero issues thus far. It is light, handy and fast.
View Quote

This
I’m on 40 acres and heat with wood. I’m cutting all the time. Serves me well.
I have a few chains that I rotate/ sharpen
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Look at a 241 or 261.  My old 241 runs a 16" all day long, and should run an 18" bar if i needed it to do so.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
@SixpackinOK

I actually went looking for the thread from when we got hit by the tornado and the folks here helped me with a saw.

Of course you can read through the first couple of pages if you WANT....but there is some freaking AMAZING information about saws starting on page 3.  I had already gotten my saw for the emergency, but the conversation continued...discussion about brands, builds, engines, specs....all in everyday language that is so useful, from some of the most knowledgeable folks on our forum.

It might be worth a read.  Like I said, the first couple of pages are mostly back and forth helping me with "what's crap that I should not buy cuz there's not much choice in this disaster."

On page 3 though....it shifts to really good details.

Chainsaw stuff I wish had not gone to archive
View Quote

Thanks! There is some good information in there. Now I just need the patience to wait till the end of March, LOL. I actually forgot about it, but I have a smaller Stihl saw that I loaned to a friend probably 3 or 4 years ago. I'll be getting it back in a week or two. It has a 16" bar, pretty sure anyway.    
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

All MS261 are 'pro' version.

That model is in the professional line up.
View Quote

I believe the previous gentleman was referring to some saws that actually say "Pro" on the top of the engine cover.   Some models could be purchased with "Super" also.  I don't recall what the designated.  I think my 026 is a Pro and the 036 a Super.  I believe the new letter suffices denote options.  

I have 2*ms180, 026, 036, 044, and 066.  I cut wood to heat my house and usually need 2.5 cords of oak, hickory, ash, locust and some hedge.  I use the Stihl 3-1 sharpener for quick chain touchups when refueling.  I have separate round and flat files to really sharpen up a chain after hitting metal in logs.

The 261 modern equivalent of my 026 is probably as big as OP needs a 250 or 270 will also work at a lower price.  I bought all my saws used at a steep discount.  I also do a lot of my own repairs.  

I usually start all my big saws without using the decompression button.  One day I went to start the 036 and on the first pull the pull handle and recoil mechanism came clear through the outer casing. I was done that day.  Took it as a sign from God or guardian angle that I shouldn't cut that day.  Last week I was on 3-4 pull on same saw, repaired, and it fired/backfired? and the recoil dogs did not disengage.  Pulled the pull handle out of my hand and it hit me right in the nuts.  I was done for a minute to catch my breath.

I don't care what saw OP gets but please buy and wear safety chaps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Thank the ash borers I'd guess.
Those are nice logs.  
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/sTOAgf1.jpg

Thank the ash borers I'd guess.
Those are nice logs.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:45:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#39]
Originally Posted By Meche_03:
I usually start all my big saws without using the decompression button.  One day I went to start the 036 and on the first pull the pull handle and recoil mechanism came clear through the outer casing. I was done that day.  Took it as a sign from God or guardian angle that I shouldn't cut that day.  

Last week I was on 3-4 pull on same saw, repaired, and it fired/backfired? and the recoil dogs did not disengage.  Pulled the pull handle out of my hand and it hit me right in the nuts.  I was done for a minute to catch my breath.

View Quote

I had a similar day the last time I cut wood.  Luckily, my nuts came out unscathed.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Meche_03:

I believe the previous gentleman was referring to some saws that actually say "Pro" on the top of the engine cover.   Some models could be purchased with "Super" also.  I don't recall what the designated.  I think my 026 is a Pro and the 036 a Super.  I believe the new letter suffices denote options.  

I have 2*ms180, 026, 036, 044, and 066.  I cut wood to heat my house and usually need 2.5 cords of oak, hickory, ash, locust and some hedge.  I use the Stihl 3-1 sharpener for quick chain touchups when refueling.  I have separate round and flat files to really sharpen up a chain after hitting metal in logs.

The 261 modern equivalent of my 026 is probably as big as OP needs a 250 or 270 will also work at a lower price.  I bought all my saws used at a steep discount.  I also do a lot of my own repairs.  

I usually start all my big saws without using the decompression button.  One day I went to start the 036 and on the first pull the pull handle and recoil mechanism came clear through the outer casing. I was done that day.  Took it as a sign from God or guardian angle that I shouldn't cut that day.  Last week I was on 3-4 pull on same saw, repaired, and it fired/backfired? and the recoil dogs did not disengage.  Pulled the pull handle out of my hand and it hit me right in the nuts.  I was done for a minute to catch my breath.

View Quote

Not only chaps, but a helmet with a faceshield. The helmet would have saved me some stitches once, I told the story on here before.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Not only chaps, but a helmet with a faceshield. The helmet would have saved me some stitches once, I told the story on here before.
View Quote

This. Most people don’t wear either.  
My advice is always get the best chainsaw you can afford. And make friends with the closest dealer with a good service department.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#42]

The only ones that I saw online were $690.00 to 720.00(ish). That is a little more than I want to spend. Would like to keep it in the $400.00 range, with $500.00 pretty much being my max. But they looked like good saws.I have
View All Quotes
Stihl MS261

The only ones that I saw online were $690.00 to 720.00(ish). That is a little more than I want to spend. Would like to keep it in the $400.00 range, with $500.00 pretty much being my max. But they looked like good saws.I have
PM inbound
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
PM inbound
View Quote

PM replied to.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
PM inbound
View Quote

PM replied to.
View Quote
The plot thickens.....

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#45]

The plot thickens.....

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#46]

The plot thickens.....

View Quote

....and the world may never know the whole story

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

The plot thickens.....

Well, after I got it out and fired it up I had to test it out.

This is a piece of oak off the lake place, about 6'6" long and 12-14" in diameter.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Just FYI, the sale has started for the Echo products, at least at the dealership I'm going to buy from. It's 15% off, and I think they said it goes through Apr. 6th.

After looking at the trees I'll be cutting, I'm probably going with either the CS-4010, or maybe even the CS-3510. The biggest trees are around 10"-12" in diameter, and most of them are probably 6"-8". A big saw would just be overkill, and I don't need to be pushing myself unnecessarily either. I'm way past doing something just to prove I can, lol. I really would like to have the CS-501P though...
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, it may be helpful later also.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#50]
MS261.  Lighter and more powerful.

I love mine.
Page / 3
Stihl chainsaws (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top