Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2013 3:47:59 PM EDT
I am new to hams. I picked up a baofeng uv5r. I have been reading here and there about different antennas for it. I have found a few Diamonds I like, but everyone I find is a fake. What is everyone's opinion on upgraded antennas for these little radios?
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the Nagoya NA-701 with mine and it's a BIG improvement over stock and still small enough to be manageable.  I hear that the longer NA-771 is even better, but you could poke your eye out with that thing!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am new to hams. I picked up a baofeng uv5r. I have been reading here and there about different antennas for it. I have found a few Diamonds I like, but everyone I find is a fake. What is everyone's opinion on upgraded antennas for these little radios?
View Quote

I'm not sure, but you may find the answer in the ARFCOM HT Thread
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the  diamond srj77ca and the nagoya 701
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have actually tested, not with test equipment, but driving down the highway away from a local repeater, talking to the repeater owner, swapping antennas.  In order, we found, worst to best for range:

Stock Baofeng - sucks

Nagoya NA-666    so-so    appx 8" long

Puxing J0125A (aka "The $3.79 antenna", which is now just over $4.00)   a pleasant surprise -  appx 8" long

Nagoya NA-701    Better than the J0125A by a mile or two - appx 8" long

Nagoya NA-771    Best overall - BUT it is 16" long.  It was just a mile or two better than the NA-701.

Overall, yes, the NA-771 gave the best range, but it is far from "handy".    If you just have to have maximum range, this is the choice, but to carry this around daily, no way.

I recommend the NA-701 as a more "handy" antenna, which still gives very good range.  Both the NA-771 and NA-701 sell for about $13 on ebay.

I consider the J0125A a "best buy", and a pretty noticeable step up from the stock Baofeng antenna.

So, where to buy the Nagoya antennas and get a genuine one?  Let me recommend ebay seller radioshop888.  I've bought three NA-701s from them for myself, and others for friends.  

So, there, pick your poison.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Nagoya NA-701 is what I use... Works better then stock thats for sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the Nagoya NA-701 with mine and it's a BIG improvement over stock and still small enough to be manageable.  I hear that the longer NA-771 is even better, but you could poke your eye out with that thing!  
View Quote

How about the Nagoya UT-106?
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nagoya NA-701 is what I use... Works better then stock thats for sure.
View Quote

Just ordered two.  

Been meaning to make a thread like this myself but just hadn't.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Ed Fong j-pole 60ft up in a tree.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer a 17 element Yagi

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never used it but at $9.99 it might be worth a try if you're looking for a mobile antenna.

Jupiter7200 - I bought my 701 based on your testing.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
bought both the 701 and 771. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You're welcome, guys!

Right now, discard the manual that came in the box and never look at it again.  

Go here and download this one, it is free.  http://radiodoc.github.io/

Check this out.  http://www.miklor.com/uv5r

Manual programming flow chart:  

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php   and  http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-ProgFlow.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top