Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2013 5:43:36 PM EDT
I received my new Kent TP1-B today as an early B'day present from my XYL.  You guys shamed me into replacing my Bencher BY-1.  Thank you!
First impression is the Kent is much smoother and more sensitive than the Bencher.  I think I'm going to like it a lot.
This was probably inevitable, though, because my and my son's middle name is Kent.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh.... that's awful fancy there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good there  BigDaddy!  

I need to upgrade my MFJ copy of the Bencher.  It seems to stick on Dah's sometimes when I first use lately, and my zero comes out like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
WIN  

When I replaced my bencher with a kent,  the bencher looked like a rube-goldberg mess of odd angles and goofy adjustments

the KENT is smooth,  simple and elegant

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I see it was a gift, but if you were spending your own money do you feel it would be worth and/or would you get it again?  

BD, we need to arrange for a CW qso one night.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the KENT is smooth,  simple and elegant
View Quote
That it is. Love mine and gets used every time I operate even if just for a little practice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
That is very similar to my Kent Keyer....you're going to love it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweet!!  
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]
That's prety!  

Hope you enjoy...

HS
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I see it was a gift, but if you were spending your own money do you feel it would be worth and/or would you get it again?  

BD, we need to arrange for a CW qso one night.
View Quote

Yes, if I was spending my own $$$, I'd definitely get it again.  At $165, it's only $45 more than the Bencher BY-1 that I got first, but so much more refined.

These things are hard to find in stock right now.  I bought mine from AES and their Milwaukee location was the only one to have it in stock.  After I ordered it, they showed no more in stock, so I must have got the last one.  DX Engineering shows them back on their catalog now, but with an estimated shipping date of 29NOV2013.

I'd like to have more CW QSO's with Arfcom members.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Very Nice!
Saw that it was a kit?
Going to polish things up a bit more?
Bet that it will be sooooo smooth-fast, once you tweak things into your personal specs. and style.
ETA- Saw that a kit was available, got it.
Happy keying.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
So, my XYL says I have to put my new Kent key back in the box so she can wrap it for my B'day on the 23rd.  Guess which key I put back in the box?  
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, my XYL says I have to put my new Kent key back in the box so she can wrap it for my B'day on the 23rd.  Guess which key I put back in the box?  
View Quote

Welcome to the dark side.

BTW, Now you have me back on the Hunt for one

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny right there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread needs more pics of quality keys.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/Bigbadjon82/media/Snapbucket/5E4CAAFD_zpsfa0c4bca.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/Bigbadjon82/Snapbucket/5E4CAAFD_zpsfa0c4bca.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's pretty How much?

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's pretty How much?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/Bigbadjon82/media/Snapbucket/5E4CAAFD_zpsfa0c4bca.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/Bigbadjon82/Snapbucket/5E4CAAFD_zpsfa0c4bca.jpg</a>

That's pretty How much?

I will start by saying that many have $150 Heil mics on $100 booms and $40 cables...

The basic key was €250,  €30 for the solid gold contacts and €18 for the finger pieces (I have two different sets those are the short ones).

I my DX mentor has a set just like mine with blue finger pieces. And I made the mistake of trying them. They are in my mind the perfect paddles. The finger pieces are aluminum as are the arms. They are unbelievably stiff and incredibly fast. And way overkill

Dollar for dollar, the Kent is a better key, but it was a birthday present like BD's key.  The base has an integral 3.5mm headphone jack, I kinda want to put a different cable on it, one with a fancy braid
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Elijah1,
About three or four years ago I wanted a Begali so bad.  I had one in the shopping cart and damn near pulled the trigger on it.  I chickened out at the last minute and cheaped out on the Bencher instead.  Gawd, what a learning experience that turned out to be!

Beautiful key...  

Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004  3/31/2010 10:42:10 AM EST :

OK, OK....
I toyed with the idea of getting a Begali Simplex in the Palladium finish. Here's a photo of the Simplex Mono in the same finish I would choose for the Simplex.

$168.84 Begali Simplex
$35.40 Gold Contacts
$24.32 Aluminum Finger Pieces
$27.23 Shipping

$255.79 Total and about three weeks shipping time from Italy. I did email Bruna Begali about the particulars, which she replied to the next day.

But.....I can't justify spending that amount on my 1st key Dual Lever Iambic Paddle. Plus the kids crying because they're hungry is really annoying.
So, I ordered a Bencher BY-1 and EZ-1 Universal Hook-up Kit from Universal Radio for $129.85 shipped. PASS or FAIL
View Quote

No one told me the truth that this decision was a FAIL!    

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Elijah1,
About three or four years ago I wanted a Begali so bad.  I had one in the shopping cart and damn near pulled the trigger on it.  I chickened out at the last minute and cheaped out on the Bencher instead.  Gawd, what a learning experience that turned out to be!

Beautiful key...  
View Quote

Begali owners usually fall into two categories:

1. People with more money than sense who want a piece of shack jewelry
2. People who operate CW 99% of the time and typically run at least 25++ WPM and want rigidity and super lightweight arms on their keys.

I fall into the second category. And honestly if my dad haven't bought most of it for my B-day, I'd never own one.  Honestly I mean what I say, the Kent is way better for the money. But magnetic returns are kinda sweet
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

2. People who operate CW 99% of the time and typically run at least 25++ WPM and want rigidity and super lightweight arms on their keys.

I fall into the second category. And honestly if my dad haven't bought most of it for my B-day, I'd never own one.  Honestly I mean what I say, the Kent is way better for the money. But magnetic returns are kinda sweet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Elijah1,

Beautiful key...  

Well since BigDaddy has the last TP-1 in the USA I'll have to wait a while longer

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]
BD, are you going to put anything on the brass to prevent corrosion and spots or let the patina be its shine?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
How do you shoot it?. Caliber??
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BD, are you going to put anything on the brass to prevent corrosion and spots or let the patina be its shine?
View Quote

I was given some recent advice on that subject.  (TU MH)  I think I'll try to apply a very light coat of petroleum jelly and see how that works out.  Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was given some recent advice on that subject.  (TU MH)  I think I'll try to apply a very light coat of petroleum jelly and see how that works out.  Any other suggestions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard Krylon clear works too. I don't usually lube my paddles

Also with brand new finger pieces I like to put a tiny bit of talc powder on the surfaces.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Let me know when you all get to my level of craftsmanship

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Did you make that base?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you make that base?
View Quote

Yes, I made it.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Made it work you mean
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've heard Krylon clear works too.
View Quote

I think that sounds like a good idea.  I could break it down to the same components like the kit, and clear coat the brass pieces.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think that sounds like a good idea.  I could break it down to the same components like the kit, and clear coat the brass pieces.  

http://www.kent-engineers.com/twimkit2.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard Krylon clear works too.

http://www.kent-engineers.com/twimkit2.png

I love the polished brass look.  

My paddle is pretty much solid brass, and I sometimes wonder about it tarnishing.  Tony (N3ZN Keys) coats them with something to prevent that from happening, and so far (almost a year) mine still looks like new.  But I have to wonder if that might be a problem somewhere down the road. I've also noticed that he doesn't make many solid brass paddles, anymore.

I  guess time will tell how it holds up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Post pics (again) Kekoa.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I say let it patina

Like holster wear on yer favorite 1911

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I say let it patina

Like holster wear on yer favorite 1911

View Quote

That's kinda my thought too. However I understand that the Kent has no protection whatsoever. So like putting something on your 1911 to protect against rust, I'd do something.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Clear lacquer in aerosol can works well on brass.   Mist on a bunch of light coats.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Send it off to
http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com

And have it industrial hard chromed like i do my 1911's

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Post pics (again) Kekoa.
View Quote

You want brass?  Here ya go....

Open it in a new window to get the "big picture". Call sign removed to protect the innocent.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Send it off to
http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com

And have it industrial hard chromed like i do my 1911's

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/IMGP4264.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/IMGP4264.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/1911pistols067.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/1911pistols067.jpg</a>
View Quote

I really want a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm a 3rd generation 1911 shooter
My grandfather carried one in 1918 WWI
Father in cold war

I grew up shooting them
....but thats another thread
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm a 3rd generation 1911 shooter
My grandfather carried one in 1918 WWI
Father in cold war

I grew up shooting them
....but thats another thread
View Quote

My grandpa carried one in WWII.  It used to be in the family but an uncle pawned it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a BFCoB!  (Chunk of Brass)  

Nice!  
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's a BFCoB!  (Chunk of Brass)  
View Quote

I think it's about 3 1/2 pounds.

I figure I can always sell it to a scrap metal dealer, if I get desperate.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Open it in a new window to get the "big picture". Call sign removed to protect the innocent.
http://www.pbase.com/david_3/image/151816826/original.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post pics (again) Kekoa.

http://www.pbase.com/david_3/image/151816826/original.jpg

I'm actually starting to like single paddles

who makes that one?

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

who makes that one?
View Quote

They are made by Tony Baleno of N3ZN Keys (I believe he is in Philadelphia).  Although he has standard models, they are custom built to order, and he has many different finish/color combinations.  He seems to be getting away from the solid brass paddles, though (I think it's possible I got the last, all brass ZN-SL he made).  I'm not sure if that is due to cost, availability of materials, or perhaps problems with the finish starting to tarnish.

I need another paddle like I need a hole in the head, but I really want another ZN-SL (the model I have now) in his "IronMan" finish.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I really want one of N3ZN's keys in the worse way.  However I think if I buy another key I want the Begali HST.  It is a switchable coodie/single lever.  It leaves a lot to be desired in the looks department, but apparently the high speed telegraph contests are full of those.  I really want to be able to send a little bit faster, but I doubt my key is the issue.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They are made by Tony Baleno of N3ZN Keys (I believe he is in Philadelphia).  Although he has standard models, they are custom built to order, and he has many different finish/color combinations.  He seems to be getting away from the solid brass paddles, though (I think it's possible I got the last, all brass ZN-SL he made).  I'm not sure if that is due to cost, availability of materials, or perhaps problems with the finish starting to tarnish.

I need another paddle like I need a hole in the head, but I really want another ZN-SL (the model I have now) in his "IronMan" finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who makes that one?

I like the ZN-9H "The HULK" .  It would compliment the OD radios very well!  

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#46]
To my taste, the Hulk's mechanism  set back too far on the base.  I like to move up closer to the mechanism when I go faster so I would be hitting the base going fast.  Which brings me to the one gripe I have with my key.  I wish my finger piece screws were inset.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I cant believe I am actually getting back into CW.

There was a time I was happy to put it behind me.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

CW~~ you can check out but you can never leave
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can relate

I learned it in 93

got on the air to get my 13wpm test and advanced license.

Back then,...I wanted to TALK on HF

Once I passed my 13wpm,  I tossed my paddle under the bench and forgot all about it for years

Few years ago, . . .   I  realized I was missing out.

CW is were the DX is at  

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#50]
BD, we would love to hear how the new key is behaving.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top