Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2014 4:06:22 PM EDT
I would like to hear from those who actually own a P3 Pan adapter.

How do you like it?

Thank you

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have it and like it a lot, though I probably don't use it to it's full potential.  The kit is quite easy to put together.  I opted to get the SVGA large screen adapter,  but I still don't have a large screen, and probably won't get one. I really don't think a large monitor is necessary for how I use the P3.  

I mainly use it for two things.  Since I mostly stay on CW, I typically keep the pan adapter set to a 40 kHz span (+/- 20 kHz).  That way, when I change to a new band, I can immediately see if there is any CW activity present.  If not, I can just switch to the next band. No more tuning around looking for signals.  For rare  DX, the panadapter is the cat's ass for busting through CW pileups.  You can decrease the span, and really see who who the DX station is talking to when he is working split.  I think that makes a world of difference, especially when you have limited power, and a limited antenna, like I do.

For SSB, I only use P3 for finding signals.  I don't find it of any use for breaking split pileups, since they are not very spread out.  And for the digital modes, I don't think the panadapter is of much use, since  the digital software has a waterfall.  

Overall, I really like it, and think it has been a great addition to my shack.  But I also think it is primarily a tool for the CW operator.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the information, It is a very sharp looking unit

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep...  this is on my list for this year....  

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
One more picture I just took.

This is how I use it when chasing a DX station that is working split, in the CW mode.  I change the span to +/- 5 kHz, and then turn on the XIT (red line).  The green line is where I'm listening (right on top of the DX station), and the red line is where I'm transmitting. All I have to do is move the red line (XIT) right on top of whoever the DX station is talking to (up +1 or whatever), and I'm in business.

Working a split DX station is now a breeze.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Missing that PowerSDR "fish finder" already Mr. Harry???
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
"fish finder"

I love mine (Flex). Makes burning through the band much easier--click, click, click! I actually use the waterfall much more than the spectrum display. It would seem that the K3 version is a "must have" for that radio.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The fish finder comment made me laugh!  I was all set to get a K3 and one of those but I opted for the Flex.  I really like the Flex but I'm sure I'd be happy with either one.  If I could afford it I'd get both!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Order Processed Successfully!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats!

And I meant to tell Kekoa that he has a nice station too!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been so busy that I have barely even had time to get on the air.
On the bright side it has allowed me to have the extra funds to get a few toys.
Getting the P3 was always part of the plan and hopefully I will get the complete K-Line

As for the Flex, I still have my 1500, though not quite sure what I plan to do with it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Congrats, I think you will like it.

Quoted:
And I meant to tell Kekoa that he has a nice station too!

Thanks.  Now all I need is an antenna to hook it to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Getting the P3 was always part of the plan and hopefully I will get the complete K-Line

As for the Flex, I still have my 1500, though not quite sure what I plan to do with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could never go back to a radio without a "fish finder" myself.

I would hang on to the Flex 1500....you might find a need for it sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I could never go back to a radio without a "fish finder" myself.

I would hang on to the Flex 1500....you might find a need for it sometime in the future.
View Quote

At the moment it's sitting on a shelf until I decide what to do with it.

It is one of those things where I have no real reason to sell it;
if for nothing else I can use it as a dedicated radio for some application.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Ha..............

Perfect example of how the panadapter can break pileups.  I turned on the radio just now, and TX6G in the Austral Islands was coming in pretty good on 12 meters. He was working split CW (and still is) so  I set up the P3 the way I described in the previous thread.  I made one call, busted the pileup, and got him in the log.  Being able to "see" where the DX station is listening, makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have earned about 120 DXCC CW entities since May of 2013 year using the "fish finder" method of breaking pileups.

The real trick is being able to hear who the DX station is working though......many times I can't hear or "see" them and the panadapter really doesn't help all that much other than for finding a clear spot for me  to transmit on when working split.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top