Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 3:35:59 PM EDT
I recently started retro-fitting items with anderson power pole connectors after picking up a set of dies for my coax ratchet crimp tool.  Along the way I had picked up a couple of the power pole mounting plates for the 15/30/45 amp housing and got to thinking about making my own version.  

I had some scrap 3/4"x3/4"  1/16" aluminum angle stock left over from an earlier project.  The thickness is pretty much a match for the commercial mounting plates.  My first efforts were done with a couple of files, with the stock mounted in a bench vise, a large file for initial material removal & a smaller file for final touchs.  They came out usable, but took some time to produce.  After knocking out a few variations, I remembered I had a hand "nibbler" tool I had acquired back in the 70's for doing panel openings.  Turns out to be pretty much perfect for doing the slots.  The tooth is a hair narrower than the final size, so a little touch up with a file can fine tune the center "pin" (if you are building a mount for a  connector pair).  On the ones I made, I made the slots deep enough for the full depth of the housing, rather than 1/2 depth like the commercial version.

A commercial mounting plate can be seen next to one of the home brew mounts for comparison.

A commercial mounting plate with the nibbler tooth in a slot. Despite appearances, it would take a couple of "bites" for the nibbler to create a slot the depth of the commercial mount's.

The take-away should be that 1/16" thick aluminum stock can easily be used to make whatever mount configuration you need, using only one or more files, or a panel nibbling tool.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

I had one of those tools.. no idea where it went. Now I need another one and can't find any at the hardware store. I need to mount a piece of perfboard holding a USB B socket to an enclosure and the nibbler would be perfect to square up the hole.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice way to make custom brackets.

I never thought to use the nibbler. I need to look thru my Greenlee punches and see if I have one the might make the whole slot then slit the material. I can't recommend anyone buy a Greenlee punch just for doing this due to the expense.

Now I need to find out if I can do stainless instead of aluminum. I have a place I need some but the surface is textured stainless (think of it as golf ball dimpled) and a polished stainless bracket would look great.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Great idea!

I know I have some material lying around, and possibly even some of that aluminum angle. I also have a nibbling tool. I have used it for several projects and it really is nice to have. They also work on plastic sheets. I have built a few things out of kydex using a nibbling tool as well, though kydex isn't a great material for things that might be left in a hot car or in full summer sun. ABS sheets are cheap enough and more heat resistant.

Sometimes the clear polycarbonate bubble packs that a lot of stuff comes in nowadays are thick enough to be re-purposed for small projects too.

I looked at the price of some of the power pole mounting plates and was really turned off by the price. They shouldn't cost much more then the knock-outs from a steel junction box.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ordered!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top