Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2015 1:38:05 PM EDT
Am thinking I'm about ready to add an amp to my little station.

My primary motivation is my KX3 - which I really like - but I struggle to be heard, especially in these challenging band conditions. Was going to buy the Elecraft 100 watt amp for the KX3, but it seems foolish to spend so much for a single function item. I think it might make more sense to buy something I can use with my FT-897 or other radios I may add in the future. ACOM's tuning procedure specifies the use of 10 to 20 watts, so I believe the KX3 should be compatible for light duty SSB use.

Have flirted with the idea of the Elecraft KPA500, but I like some of the features of the ACOM, and also like the idea that I don't need to immediately add another antenna tuner to the stable as I would with the KPA500.

I'm in an HOA governed area, so I run a compromise antenna that will accept 500 watts max. Frankly, I have no plans to operate higher that 300 watts or so, even with the FT-897. I would mainly just like to "help" the KX3 a bit and get its signal up to 100 watts or so.

Any thoughts? Anyone running the ACOM amp?

Thanks...   Jim
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If you buy the kit KPA you save $200, which is 2/3 of what you need for a 500W AT-600PROII and is enough for a 300W MFJ-993B (if you're serious about your arbitrary 300W limit )

HRO had the AT-600PROII on sale for $265 IIRC when I bought my KPA last month, I considered it fate.

The AT-600PROII is nice, I used an auto tuner before and it would only tune auto to 1.5 or so, so I went back to a manual.  A forced full tune on the 600 almost always nets me a 1:1 indication on SWR.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the KPA500 and the KAT500, and they are awesome.  I know another member here has both and even more have the amp alone.  Fool-proof and bullet-proof.

I have no experience with the ACOM, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the Elecraft if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks gents.

Yes, I can feel the love for the KPA500, and it's still a contender. I do appreciate the advice.

If anyone here is running one of the ACOM amps, I'd still love to hear of your experience with it.

Regards...   Jim
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it Acom's claim of a 3:1 SWR matching range that makes you want the 1010?

The Acom just seems like a poor match for use with the KX3. Your KX3 might drive the Acom to about 100 watts output with your KX3.

You might be better off with a solid state QRP amp like the RM Italy HLA-150 and an 200 watt external auto tuner. It would cost considerably less for about the same power output as the Acom 1010.

FYI my Elecraft KPA 500 will deliver about 200 watts output with 12 watts of drive. That's would be about the same output you would get if you used your KX3 to drive the KPA500 on SSB.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Modifying the KPA500 for QRP operation with the KX3 is actually pretty straightforward. According to this website:

http://www.nx1p.net/kpa-500-modifications/
(and you have to register with the website to get at it so they know you are a ham)

You simply remove Input Attenuator Pad 1 (IAP1) by lifting (or removing) R21 and R22 and shorting R23

and

adjust the input sampling transformers (so the CPU sees the right gain and doesn't put the amp in a fault state) by removing T4A and T4B and unwinding the secondary windings so that there are 13 turns instead of 18 on each, then reinstalling (or make some new ones and install those in case you ever want to reverse the mod).

The NX1P website covers the theory and practice in great detail and it's worth requesting a password to look at the write up there. I received my password in only one day.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modifying the KPA500 for QRP operation with the KX3 is actually pretty straightforward. According to this website:

http://www.nx1p.net/kpa-500-modifications/
(and you have to register with the website to get at it so they know you are a ham)

You simply remove Input Attenuator Pad 1 (IAP1) by lifting (or removing) R21 and R22 and shorting R23

and

adjust the input sampling transformers (so the CPU sees the right gain and doesn't put the amp in a fault state) by removing T4A and T4B and unwinding the secondary windings so that there are 13 turns instead of 18 on each, then reinstalling (or make some new ones and install those in case you ever want to reverse the mod).

The NX1P website covers the theory and practice in great detail and it's worth requesting a password to look at the write up there. I received my password in only one day.

View Quote

I found this website a couple of weeks ago.  I'm just not sure I would want to tear into brand new amp to do it though. However for those that are bold it might be worthwhile.  

It's damn a shame that QRP isn't a selectable menu option.  Stupid FCC rules prevent this type of user selectable feature.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The Elecraft Amp will work with the FT-897.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's damn a shame that QRP isn't a selectable menu option.  Stupid FCC rules prevent this type of user selectable feature.
View Quote

This!^

It really is idiotic to not just have an output wattage restriction only.

If I was going to bother with the mod I would yank the components involved off the board and make it switchable on a separate board.

You could alternately boost the QRP on the input side with a Kit 20W amp.  (scroll down)
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Elecraft Amp will work with the FT-897.
View Quote

Yup and when you switch the attenuator on while using the KX3 you will be as confused as Robert E Lee at the SC capital building this week.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I don't think I'd be too anxious to start modding a shiny new KPA500. After all, I'm just a "no code" ham!

If money were no object, I'd probably have the Elecraft on the way already, as well as the KAT500. I think that would be a stellar combination. But things are tough in my line of work, and I already took a 20% pay cut this year, so I'm trying to be a little thrifty, which I realize is not always the wisest approach.

Were I wiser, I'd probably look at a used Ameritron, I just don't feel too "shiny" about the quality and user reviews.

I do like much about the ACOM, and am still considering it. Don't I remember Gyprat was running a different ACOM model? Perhaps he'll share a little long term satisfaction report if he sees this?

Thanks again for all the good input!

Jim...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top