Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 10:16:35 PM EDT
I've been lurking on this board for awhile, reading the links on Ecom boxes.  I carried a PRC77 off an on  while in the Marine Corps and with all the links I've followed can't find any ham  radios that are self contained man pack radios. I understand that part of the ham culture is learning and building your "shack" , but is there a market for a FT 857D, in an aluminum case pre-wired for a common battery pack? Does this exist and I'm just not seeing it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]

PRC 320
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: but is there a market for a FT 857D, in an aluminum case pre-wired for a common battery pack? Does this exist and I'm just not seeing it?
View Quote

Yes, there is.  I am also surprised someone isn't making such a critter and selling them for premium pricing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Manpack

Here is one of the Chinese frames from Ebay my buddy assembled and painted.

Ebay has a pack and frame for $100.00  Just add the radio and battery.

Portable Zero Frame

I think I like this frame better, but to each his own.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The big problem (from my point of view) is that these civvie sets are not designed to be out in the weather.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The PRC-320 is the closest you'll get with the average man's budget. Modern manpacks can be bought, but you're looking at $30,000... Maybe if I win the PowerBall...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The big problem (from my point of view) is that these civvie sets are not designed to be out in the weather.
View Quote

Every time you do that my wallet runs and hides in the closet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]

I really have to get one of those before they dry up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
There is also this thing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a reason they are not something you generally find in the amateur radio world, which is because they are silly and impractical.

Get an HT. Mount an antenna on your backpack if you just have to.

If you want to do HF as a pedestrian, guess you'll have to homebrew.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's a reason they are not something you generally find in the amateur radio world, which is because they are silly and impractical.

View Quote

Not hardly.

Manpacks work nicely and it's a lot of fun being able to set up anywhere.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#12]
With the growing popularity and numbers of portable operating (IOTA, SOTA, RADAR, NPOTA, etc), a manpack style radio that is weather proof and fully integrated is anything but silly and impractical. Waterproof HT's are common place, but there is virtually nothing in the HF spectrum. I was just repacking my portable kit last night and bemoaning the mess of cables, wires, waterproof bags, tuners, external amps, and other misc. junk it takes to get set up in the field - it's ridiculous. I'd buy a FT-817-esque manpack in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not hardly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not hardly.

Of course.

Then again, I tend to be silly and impractical, so either way works for me.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been lurking on this board for awhile, reading the links on Ecom boxes.  I carried a PRC77 off an on  while in the Marine Corps and with all the links I've followed can't find any ham  radios that are self contained man pack radios. I understand that part of the ham culture is learning and building your "shack" , but is there a market for a FT 857D, in an aluminum case pre-wired for a common battery pack? Does this exist and I'm just not seeing it?
View Quote

Its called an FT897D
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Then there is all of this that I have posted over the years...

PRC-132 SOF Radio

PRC-174 Israeli Radio

PRC-320 the Limey

PRC-515 The Canadian

And for the Non military heritage HAM rigs
FT817 portable QRP setup

FT897 backpack portable rig

If you have questions, I have answers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Not cheap but what good things are not.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Man, the Afghan Army had those by the hundreds and I wanted one so bad. Too bad my advisor predecessors taught them property accountability too well before I got there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top