Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By draver:

I included Monaco because of the build quality and overall appearance.  I liked my Newmar, but it had a few issues early on, so I know anything else will probably too.  They had a 3 year warranty then at least.   I guess I'm hoping the previous owner sorted out the important problems and I would like to get a very thorough inspection before purchase.  Also Discovery, National, Coachman, and even Winnebago have some decent looking rigs in my range..  I recall most owners rarely using their RV's and babying them when they did.  I'm hoping to find a "Cherry" unit from some old, compulsive, obsessive disorder owner.  What should I expect to pay for a good pre purchase inspection?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:
I don't know if you also deal in motor homes, but I have been thinking about buying another in the next year or so.  I bought new in 2005, but only kept that unit for 3 years or so.  (Newmar, Dutch Star, 40ft., quad slide) Prices have really gotten outrageous for new units.  I am lookin at Class A units around 40', 3-4 slides, from mid range name brands.  I do see some pretty nice rigs for $85-$100K and wonder how much I might need to spend on repairs and replacements in the first year?  Tiffin, Monaco, etc. from 2004-2008 seem well built and I am assuming most with less that 100K miles to still have some life left in them due to being diesel and solid construction.  I will put 10K miles or less on per year, and also wonder if there are any extended warranties worth a damn for a new owner?

If you're looking at that age and price point, I'd go Tiffin all day. Since they didn't go bankrupt the parts and support are still there

First year expenses can vary widely, I've seen rigs need nothing and I've seen them need $10k in the first year.

As for extended warranties, those aren't my area of expertise, but what I can tell you is that many people find themselves better off using the $7-10k that the warranty would cost and just putting it in the bank just in case.

I included Monaco because of the build quality and overall appearance.  I liked my Newmar, but it had a few issues early on, so I know anything else will probably too.  They had a 3 year warranty then at least.   I guess I'm hoping the previous owner sorted out the important problems and I would like to get a very thorough inspection before purchase.  Also Discovery, National, Coachman, and even Winnebago have some decent looking rigs in my range..  I recall most owners rarely using their RV's and babying them when they did.  I'm hoping to find a "Cherry" unit from some old, compulsive, obsessive disorder owner.  What should I expect to pay for a good pre purchase inspection?

Try to find someone like me.  NRVIA certified inspector and certified (not simply registered) RV technician.  Rare combo but they're out there.  

I charge $900 for a Class A diesel inspection but haven't updated the prices lately.  Will probably go to $1240 or so soon.  

It takes me about 7-8 hours.  Whoever you hire ask them how long it takes.  If they say anything near 4-5 hrs for a Class A diesel they're doing a shit job.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GETBACKINTHEKITCHEN] [#2]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I have a new Vintage Cruiser that we like a lot. Sure, there are a few things that look like they were assembled by a drunken chimpanzee (Screws stuck in the roofing caulk? Really?), but it's pretty nice...with one exception: The Dometic air conditioner is noisy as hell and we're thinking of replacing it.

Which brand air conditioner would you recommend?

Thanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Camper_jpg-2047695.JPG
View Quote

Coleman mach quiet series is a new thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
Who makes an RV that you can drive up to a rain sewer on the street and just pull a lever in the cab to dump without getting out?
View Quote

Theres an expensive automated/power system out there. Not tied to any one coach assembler.  Probably standard on something like a Prevost but can be installed on others.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:34:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GETBACKINTHEKITCHEN] [#4]
Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:
I have a question.

My Rockwood has toppers on all three slides, the middle being the longest.  The long topper seems to always catch a good amount of rain if there is a downpour.  It seems that it has screeched the topper fabric a little after a huge storm.

I've used floaties and pool rafts to some degree of success in-between the  topper and the slide.

At what point do I worry about it, are there newer ones that work better.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Once water pools in the middle there is no unstretching it.  It will be stretched in the middle but not the ends so tightening it doesn't do much, and isn't good to over tighten anyway.  

Toppers are technically optional.  If the slide out roof isn't leaking you shouldn't have to worry about it.  Most the time the water still runs off the topper onto the ground. More about leaves etc which it will still protect against.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Calabus:
Our family has been talking about getting a travel trailer for a while and will more than likely bite the bullet on one towards the end of this season....

I really like the look and features of the Forest River Grey Wolf series- the 26DBH specifically. Thoughts/ opinions for a first timer?

Also, I've heard in the past of all sorts of surprise fees, etc. being tacked on during the purchase process, greatly increasing the "advertised" price. What should we look out for, expect?

How firm are these "advertised" prices when it comes to negotiations?

Thanks!
View Quote

While I wouldn't consider myself picky at all, my 2020 Forest River has been down for maintenance (due to "covid" parts shortages) at their warranty repair center since the first week of June, about a month after delivery.

Everything from cracks in skylights, TV's / electronics wired incorrectly, leaks in exterior doors / hatches, plumbing leaks, a failed auto leveling system, etc. It's obvious qualified labor and quality materials were hard to come by during 2020.

The warranty service department has been fighting tooth and nail with Forest River HQ to get authorization for the repairs they and I have identified, including trying to explain where the "cold weather package" is, due to no heat ducting in the belly areas, nor insulation on the water lines.

The warranty department has possessed it longer than I have in my four months of ownership, and it's going up for sale as soon as they complete repairs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AGraham:

While I wouldn't consider myself picky at all, my 2020 Forest River has been down for maintenance (due to "covid" parts shortages) at their warranty repair center since the first week of June, about a month after delivery.

Everything from cracks in skylights, TV's / electronics wired incorrectly, leaks in exterior doors / hatches, plumbing leaks, a failed auto leveling system, etc. It's obvious qualified labor and quality materials were hard to come by during 2020.

The warranty service department has been fighting tooth and nail with Forest River HQ to get authorization for the repairs they and I have identified, including trying to explain where the "cold weather package" is, due to no heat ducting in the belly areas, nor insulation on the water lines.

The warranty department has possessed it longer than I have in my four months of ownership, and it's going up for sale as soon as they complete repairs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AGraham:
Originally Posted By Calabus:
Our family has been talking about getting a travel trailer for a while and will more than likely bite the bullet on one towards the end of this season....

I really like the look and features of the Forest River Grey Wolf series- the 26DBH specifically. Thoughts/ opinions for a first timer?

Also, I've heard in the past of all sorts of surprise fees, etc. being tacked on during the purchase process, greatly increasing the "advertised" price. What should we look out for, expect?

How firm are these "advertised" prices when it comes to negotiations?

Thanks!

The service department doesn't care.  You already paid for the coach. Different story if holding $$ until all warranty work complete before you buy it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RINO_Hunter:

Try to find someone like me.  NRVIA certified inspector and certified (not simply registered) RV technician.  Rare combo but they're out there.  

I charge $900 for a Class A diesel inspection but haven't updated the prices lately.  Will probably go to $1240 or so soon.  

It takes me about 7-8 hours.  Whoever you hire ask them how long it takes.  If they say anything near 4-5 hrs for a Class A diesel they're doing a shit job.
View Quote

All solid advice. If your inspector is just a friend of theirs who “knows what to look for” then that’s pretty worthless. We only allow NRVIA certified inspectors to do inspections here. And you’re exactly right about the half day inspectors, they aren’t being thorough.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope it's not too late I stumbled upon this thread.  

It there 20ft+ travel trailer option with the kitchen only on the outside? I've only seen dual indoor/outdoor or indoor only. Or tiny ones with outdoor only.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
OK I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy.  Sometime in the next 12 months I will buy a new RV, waiting on some finances to come together and then I can strike.  What has caught my eye so far is the THOR Axis.  It's a class "A" but not really, it's more like a class B with Class A styling. Going to be used by me and the wife for no more than 1 week at a time several times a year.  I expect to pay a little over 100k from what I can estimate right now unless the market gets even more crazy.

My questions:Is

1.  Is my choice of RV dumb?  If so why?

2.  What would my annual maintenance costs on a 100K gas "Class A" RV on average.

3.  Is this guy Matt (link below) Full of shit or legit? I already know he's annoying, but he seems thorough and open. I have not spoken with any RV sales person as of yet.

2022 SMALLEST Class A Motorhome OF THE YEAR!

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
That's an A.  Might be a small A, but that's an A.  I lived in a B off & on for 10 years, no way you're going to stealth camp that in an urban environment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JDatTOA:
I hope it's not too late I stumbled upon this thread.  

It there 20ft+ travel trailer option with the kitchen only on the outside? I've only seen dual indoor/outdoor or indoor only. Or tiny ones with outdoor only.

View Quote

That’s a tough one. I’m sure someone out there has made that layout, but I’ve looked through everything my company carries, and some we don’t and I can’t seem to locate anything quite like that. I’d be intrigued to see one though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Goodrich:
OK I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy.  Sometime in the next 12 months I will buy a new RV, waiting on some finances to come together and then I can strike.  What has caught my eye so far is the THOR Axis.  It's a class "A" but not really, it's more like a class B with Class A styling. Going to be used by me and the wife for no more than 1 week at a time several times a year.  I expect to pay a little over 100k from what I can estimate right now unless the market gets even more crazy.

My questions:Is

1.  Is my choice of RV dumb?  If so why?

2.  What would my annual maintenance costs on a 100K gas "Class A" RV on average.

3.  Is this guy Matt (link below) Full of shit or legit? I already know he's annoying, but he seems thorough and open. I have not spoken with any RV sales person as of yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVaRddcBC7o

View Quote

1: I don’t think it’s a dumb choice, those are extremely popular (think 6-10 months wait time) for a good reason and we have many many happy customers with them

2: your maintenance costs shouldn’t be too outrageous, mostly the usual chassis maintenance and roof maintenance.

3: I have met Matt, and he’s genuinely enthusiastic about rvs.

Feel free to ask any and all questions!
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#13]
@GTOMike87
We are looking for the smallest chassis (length/footprint) with a king bed and real shower w/ separate toilet, zero need for sink/kitchen/counter or extra seating.
We currently use a VW Van 4x4 camper, (weekend model w/pop top but no sink/kitchen.) and would like something similar with bathroom.
Anyone make a Sprinter size bed and bath, does such a thing even exist?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#14]
Originally Posted By u-baddog:  @GTOMike87
We are looking for the smallest chassis (length/footprint) with a king bed and real shower w/ separate toilet, zero need for sink/kitchen/counter or extra seating.
We currently use a VW Van 4x4 camper, (weekend model w/pop top but no sink/kitchen.) and would like something similar with bathroom.
Anyone make a Sprinter size bed and bath, does such a thing even exist?
Thanks
View Quote

Plenty.  Sprinters go out to 24' and up to 6'6" of headroom, IIRC.

$135/shop hour pretty normal for RV repairs?  Been a long time since I've had any work done.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]

The fact that you aren’t in a hurry is a good thing.

For what you’re planning to use it for, make sure it had an enclosed underbelly with heating ducted into it so your pipes don’t freeze in the winter. You may find yourself looking into the higher range of your budget to get one that isn’t junk. Five years ago a $10k camper that was decent could be had with relative ease, not so much anymore.
View Quote

You're not a very good salesman. How about recommending a particular model?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#16]

1: I don’t think it’s a dumb choice, those are extremely popular (think 6-10 months wait time) for a good reason and we have many many happy customers with them

2: your maintenance costs shouldn’t be too outrageous, mostly the usual chassis maintenance and roof maintenance.

3: I have met Matt, and he’s genuinely enthusiastic about rvs.

Feel free to ask any and all questions!
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback!

Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By EEnginerd:

View Quote

Trying to make him pay $1000 a year to ARFCOM so he can hawk his wares?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Plenty.  Sprinters go out to 24' and up to 6'6" of headroom, IIRC.

$135/shop hour pretty normal for RV repairs?  Been a long time since I've had any work done.
View Quote

Something like a Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW has twin beds that make a king when needed and has a separate shower/toilet.

That’s probably a pretty standard rate, ours is a little higher I believe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By EEnginerd:

View Quote

The problem here is that there are probably dozens of models out there with those features. There are so many variables that the list would look like a novel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Goodrich:

Thanks for the feedback!

View Quote

You’re very welcome, feel free to reach out about the Axis or really any model. We carry just about anything mainstream that you can imagine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Something like a Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW has twin beds that make a king when needed and has a separate shower/toilet.

That’s probably a pretty standard rate, ours is a little higher I believe.
View Quote

I've actually looked at them, kitchen/couch we don't want.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By u-baddog:

I've actually looked at them, kitchen/couch we don't want.

Thanks
View Quote

Doh! Totally missed that. I can’t think of anything offhand that doesn’t have a kitchen. But now I’m intrigued to see if I can find that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking for a cover for my 19' travel trailer. Any recommendations?

I had an Adco brand cover for my pop up and wasn't really impressed with it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I am very interested in this topic too.  I get the negatives on ease of use, possible paint damage, short life expectancy.  But even with those, it seems like the preventive maintenance aspect, keeping UV off, as much dirt and debris off, bird droppings, shielding from some rain.

Definitely lots of mixed emotions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:17:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrettYancy] [#25]
What is your opinion on the Pleasure Way Recon 4x4?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CodyMitchell:
What is your opinion on the Pleasure Way Recon 4x4?
View Quote

Haven’t seen one yet, but looking online I see some good stuff there. It reminds me of the Winnebago Revel, Thor Sanctuary, or even the new Jayco/Entegra Launch that just debuted. Pleasure Way has a great reputation, which is probably why the wait list is usually extensive.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]
What do you think about gulf stream campers. We got  a new vintage no slide 19rbs last year and headed to the keys from Ohio. Pulled it with a 2019 jeep grand Cherokee did ok.
After fixing about every hose connection it did fine.
Stayed in it 3  months in FL. And 1 in SC. This winter same trip but new tires and replaced the pos mattress.
New truck too went overkill with a 2022 ram 2500 Hemi pulls like there's no trailer back there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By belchfire:
What do you think about gulf stream campers. We got  a new vintage no slide 19rbs last year and headed to the keys from Ohio. Pulled it with a 2019 jeep grand Cherokee did ok.
After fixing about every hose connection it did fine.
Stayed in it 3  months in FL. And 1 in SC. This winter same trip but new tires and replaced the pos mattress.
New truck too went overkill with a 2022 ram 2500 Hemi pulls like there's no trailer back there.
View Quote

I have a 2021 Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser 19RBS. When I got it home from the dealer I found that every hose connection on mine was only finger tight.

Other than that, it's been a great camper.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#29]
What do you think this is worth?  How much would you say the side of this would cost to fix?  I looked at it today and there are no signs of water leaking inside.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/531221384612900

Fb link.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BIGGUNZZ:
What do you think this is worth?  How much would you say the side of this would cost to fix?  I looked at it today and there are no signs of water leaking inside.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/531221384612900

Fb link.
View Quote

To the right buyer I’d say maybe $10k, but it’s not a project I would be interested in taking on. That floorplan is one that should be fairly common among different manufacturers so I wouldn’t get attached to that one. If it were my money I wouldn’t be interested at all, too many unknowns there. As for repair cost, I couldn’t even begin to estimate.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#31]

To the right buyer I’d say maybe $10k, but it’s not a project I would be interested in taking on. That floorplan is one that should be fairly common among different manufacturers so I wouldn’t get attached to that one. If it were my money I wouldn’t be interested at all, too many unknowns there. As for repair cost, I couldn’t even begin to estimate.
View Quote

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:31:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RjSteed] [#32]
Ok.

driving a
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500hd Crew Cab 4x4 z71 with trailer package. My pull rating is 17k with 4:10 gear ratio

we have been looking at a
Winnebago 2022 Minnie 2301bhs (built 11/21)
quoted out the door price of 43+
sals price started at 53k+

and  a

Winnebago 2022 Micro Minni 2306bhs (built unknown)
quoted out the door 37+
sales price started at 45k+

I started running numbers (re: 2301) of weight of occupants (400ish)  couple hundred pounds of cargo in bed, full propane and batteries, and tongue weight it appears I'll be over 1500 lbs my truck can hold on hitch.

600+ lbs in truck and 600 +lbs on tongue add up correct?

am I over thinking the tongue weight? Or should I go with 2306 which is really only 100lb less in tongue weight. But less trailer weight.

im liking the off road capability and seemingly more durable of 2306,
but would like the space of the 2301.

I've not even gotten into thinking how much weight we would have in trailer as I'm more concerned with keeping truck and trailer flat on ground and rolling. Not to mention water in tanks.

Your thoughts?

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RjSteed:
Ok.

driving a
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500hd Crew Cab 4x4 z71 with trailer package. My pull rating is 17k with 4:10 gear ratio

we have been looking at a
Winnebago 2022 Minnie 2301bhs (built 11/21)
quoted out the door price of 43+
sals price started at 53k+

and  a

Winnebago 2022 Micro Minni 2306bhs (built unknown)
quoted out the door 37+
sales price started at 45k+

I started running numbers (re: 2301) of weight of occupants (400ish)  couple hundred pounds of cargo in bed, full propane and batteries, and tongue weight it appears I'll be over 1500 lbs my truck can hold on hitch.

600+ lbs in truck and 600 +lbs on tongue add up correct?

am I over thinking the tongue weight? Or should I go with 2306 which is really only 100lb less in tongue weight. But less trailer weight.

im liking the off road capability and seemingly more durable of 2306,
but would like the space of the 2301.

I've not even gotten into thinking how much weight we would have in trailer as I'm more concerned with keeping truck and trailer flat on ground and rolling. Not to mention water in tanks.

Your thoughts?

View Quote

What are your concerns? Those aren't that big or heavy of campers for a 2500HD. Shouldn't be putting you close to the payload capacity at all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Someone had me over thinking the tongue weight
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Happens all the time. Years ago I told a customer that what they wanted to pull would be no problem because I didn’t understand tongue weight and payload fully. To this day I’m extremely cautious when selling a camper or fifth wheel (I focus on Motorhomes but will sell towables a few times a year). What’s the payload capacity of the truck and weight of your weight distribution hitch? Those will help you start to figure things out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#36]
They are suggesting 1400 lbs weight distribution. Seems to much to me.
the two axles only equal 8800 lbs on trailer.

they say it's in case I ever get a bigger trailer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#37]
They are suggesting 1400 lbs weight distribution. Seems to much to me.
the two axles only equal 8800 lbs on trailer.

they say it's in case I ever get a bigger trailer.
View Quote

What’s the sticker on the truck itself say? Usually inside the driver door jamb.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

better than under thinking and ending up with too much trailer for your tow vehicle.

i tow a very similar weight/tounge weight trailer with my 2004 2500HD  with a 1200 lb rated weight distribution hitch and it tows great. Plenty of payload left for a good load of firewood and other items in the back and still rides good with minimal squat. Mine is 2wd and it sits dead level loaded for travel with the weight distribution.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#39]

What's the sticker on the truck itself say? Usually inside the driver door jamb.
View Quote
My trucks gvwr is 9500
cargo weight is not to exceed 2826 lbs

trailers GVWR is 8800 lbs
trailer cargo is not to exceed 2653 lbs

an app I found GVWR

weights are adjustable based on load an I guess this gives an idea on toungue weight.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#40]
My trucks gvwr is 9500
cargo weight is not to exceed 2826 lbs

trailers GVWR is 8800 lbs
trailer cargo is not to exceed 2653 lbs

an app I found GVWR
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43224/F06F086F-18B8-467E-B7F3-D38AC1F98764-2223757.png

weights are adjustable based on load an I guess this gives an idea on toungue weight.
View Quote

What app is that? That’s pretty cool.

Looks like you’ve got plenty of payload capacity left over after that amount of tongue weight to carry as much as you need. You’d be shocked (maybe not) by how many people are running around way over payload while towing. My wife used to wonder why I’d always pass travel trailers and fifth wheels as quickly as I could, until I explained it to her. Now it’s “go go go!”
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#41]
It's called GVWR
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GETBACKINTHEKITCHEN] [#42]

Thanks for your input.
View All Quotes

Thanks for your input.
lol no water damage or leaks then they point an arrow to where it was leaking.  Fucking dealers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#43]
lol no water damage or leaks then they point an arrow to where it was leaking.  Fucking dealers.
View All Quotes

Thanks for your input.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

Side note: anyone planning on attending the Tampa show this week?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By imq707s:

Are there any brands (besides Airstream) that are really better than the others? or all that all pretty much built as fast and as cheap as possible by a bunch of meth heads?

View Quote
On page two of thread, but are Airstreams really worth it?  I see fifty year old models selling for tens of thousands of dollars.  Really?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#45]

The boat comparison is probably the most apt way to look at it. Time will tell, this business has always had ups and downs and I'm just along for the ride.
View All Quotes

Yeah, 87% of those will use their camper half as much again next year, then half of that the next year on, etc.  Much like a boat, albeit a camper can serve other purposes than recreation.

The boat comparison is probably the most apt way to look at it. Time will tell, this business has always had ups and downs and I'm just along for the ride.
We are still experiencing a rise in the number of baby boomer retirements.

In about ten years, all baby boomers will be over age 65.  Demographically, the demand for RVs should level off by that point.

The next ten years should be peak RV.  

Right?

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By giacutter:
On page two of thread, but are Airstreams really worth it?  I see fifty year old models selling for tens of thousands of dollars.  Really?
View Quote

I don’t sell them new, but do have a little time around them. Are they well built? Yes they are. Are they worth the cost? I’ve never seen the value. They have such a reputation for perceived quality that values stay high for seemingly forever, so even if they cost more upfront the residual value is there if you sell. They use some proprietary parts I believe, so parts availability may be an issue long term. It almost feels like airstream is a cult, once you’re in you’re in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#47]

In about ten years, all baby boomers will be over age 65.  Demographically, the demand for RVs should level off by that point.

Right?

View All Quotes

Yeah, 87% of those will use their camper half as much again next year, then half of that the next year on, etc.  Much like a boat, albeit a camper can serve other purposes than recreation.

Right?

The trend over the last few years has been younger and younger customers.  The forecast right now is that sales will continue to be strong for the foreseeable future. We may see a shift towards different products, but overall numbers shouldn’t be dramatically different. Barring another recession that is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Heading there today-Friday Jan 21
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I’m hanging out at the super show all week. So far it’s been a fun time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By touchracing:
I’m hanging out at the super show all week. So far it’s been a fun time.
View Quote

Checking out new rigs? Vendor? The number of people here for the show is unreal. At the end of the day I’m beat.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top