what bullet?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Pig hunting.  You are doing it right.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what bullet?

Mostly some brand of xm193 or 55gr FMJ with some 855, wolf of either grain and very little 75gr OTM thrown in.

Shots have been 5yds to 300 with one or two shots being the norm to kill the critter quickly. I do thrown a bunch of lead if it's under ten yards just like I would do with a human.

I've killed close to 200 that I can vaguely remember. I've lost pics and didn't always take pics for record keeping, I do now.

I plan to do some spear work like the Bushman this summer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Love to see it.  I wish we had hogs in MN.  I know I am one of the few but at least we would have something to hunt here as our DNR has about wiped out the deer herd.  I would love to chase those hogs with my bow and AR.  Maybe even a couple with the .45 I have.  I am not too picky.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Outstanding. You kill them in South Texas or the Hill Country
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Admit it, I know a drone strike when I see one
Good shooting, blow all the mothers away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]

I give y'all props for getting the whole family

Good shooting

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Outstanding. You kill them in South Texas or the Hill Country

Hill Country.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Admit it, I know a drone strike when I see one
Good shooting, blow all the mothers away.

Funny you mention that as a drone has been spotted flying over the ranch a couple of times here lately. I finally saw it a few weeks ago as we were shooting 50's on the long range, I wonder if we've drawn too much attention.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess it just scares them to death.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting/DSCN1314.jpg
I give y'all props for getting the whole family

Good shooting  

There was a lot more that got away. The ones that came up the wash (fatal funnel) to us got murdered though. It felt like it all happened in about 10-15 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#14]
These next two got turned into pork and venison breakfast sausage and pulled pork.

I tried to give this one a chance and let him go but he kept coming back around my truck....

263 yards. To be fair this one dropped "dead" for about 6-7 minutes then crawled back under the fence never to be seen again. I'm certain it didn't get very far but that section is very thick and I can't get to some places.

The SLAYER recently got a new paint job as I'm hoping to get another 5-10k rounds out of it, though I have marked a decline in its accuracy at 10k rounds already, too much full auto I suspect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Niiiiiiiiiice.

Good thing you had the shoulder thing that went up and the imploding pig seeking boolitz.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
lol So you mean I missed that one a couple weeks ago? Dang no reason for a new gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I kill mine with a 9mm or .22lr.  It don't take much, just good shot placement.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice job OP!!  Almost make me wish we had hogs in Oregon.  Almost...

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Tell me about that corn feeder contraption my buddy and I  at work think its awesome. Is it a corn rainstick?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tell me about that corn feeder contraption my buddy and I  at work think its awesome. Is it a corn rainstick?

Its a pig pipe. Basically a peace of PVC sealed at one end with a removable cap at the other, drill some holes down the length and attach it to a T post or small tree with heavy duty wire. The hogs will kick it around in circles to get the corn that falls out of the small holes. It makes them stick around a little longer than using a standard broadcast feeder, and is cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Great Job!!!!   You got some BIG porkers there.   Keep it up I am sure there are plenty more.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a pig pipe. Basically a peace of PVC sealed at one end with a removable cap at the other, drill some holes down the length and attach it to a T post or small tree with heavy duty wire. The hogs will kick it around in circles to get the corn that falls out of the small holes. It makes them stick around a little longer than using a standard broadcast feeder, and is cheaper.

Nice, can you hear them get after it from a distance?

Can you tell me more about the NV you have mounted in this pic?http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting/IMG_2256.jpg
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh man, great pics.  So much for the AR15 isn't used by hunters BS.

BTW, You can box that little one up and send it to me if you like.

Tj

I have killed deer for the past four years with an AR too. I even killed one with the SBR this year when I got a last minute invite to hunt a managed ranch and it's all I had with me.

$5k and its yours.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, can you hear them get after it from a distance?

Can you tell me more about the NV you have mounted in this pic?http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting/IMG_2256.jpg

Yep, people even add bells to them to help with that. We put a few rocks in ours so that even when they are empty the hogs still think corn is in there for a while.

It's just a PVS-14 in a Larue mount. It's not the ideal setup for spot and stalk type hunting so I don't use it too much, only when the hogs are in the front yard making the dogs go nuts. A helmet mount and IR laser on the rifle is much more effective but I can't justify the cost just to kill hogs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Basically I made this thread for one reason and that was to show that 223 can and does kill hogs, even big hogs. Yes, I have lost hogs due to poor shot placement or just a flat out miss and that is most likely what happened to the folks here who say 223 doesn't work either. I've also lost them with 6.8, 308, 9mm and 45 so a bad shot is just a bad shot no matter the caliber. 5.56/223 has killed tens of thousands of enemy combatants across the world, it'll kill a 200lb pig just fine.

The pics also point out that hogs move and feed during daylight as well though some believe otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Obviously, these are all photoshops. Everyone knows .223 is no good for anything larger than squirrels.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically I made this thread for one reason and that was to show that 223 can and does kill hogs, even big hogs.

Nah, I'm pretty sure you're just showing off.  

One 75 grain BTHP handload @ 175 yards though both lungs, DOA:

One 75 grain BTHP handload @ 190 yards though both lungs, DOA:

Neither Boar was less than 425 pounds.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically I made this thread for one reason and that was to show that 223 can and does kill hogs, even big hogs.

You jelly? We didn't see anything but deer when I took you around right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice! I hope I can make it down that way some day and hunt some hogs
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:03:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You jelly? We didn't see anything but deer when I took you around right?

Only hog I saw was that 1000 yard chip shot Mojo missed.

Well at least you got to see a 1000k yard hog. Maybe we'll have better luck next time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Man i miss hunting hog every weekend while i was in college. Your giving me the fever again!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#35]
My name is TxRabbitBane, and I approve of this thread.

I jelly... Had to cancel a hog killing trip a few weeks back and don't know when work will let me go again...
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you look at the pic the pig pipe has a big hole in it.
The bullet went through the pig and hit the pipe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at the pic the pig pipe has a big hole in it.
The bullet went through the pig and hit the pipe.

The shot heard around the world(ranch).
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I vote we have an occupy clharr's ranch movement!
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I need to bring my curs over there.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Occupiers and the FSA get the belt fed.....
M60

It's not my ranch anyway. Maybe someday when I win the lotto I'll have a nice spread.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Occupiers and the FSA get the belt fed.....
M60

It's not my ranch anyway. Maybe someday when I win the lotto I'll have a nice spread.

Well i see it takes about 20 seconds for you to get that thing up and running so i think i will be safe

If i wiin the lotto, seems like thats everyone famous last words these days.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#42]
What light do you have on your rifle? And what is the best shot placement for hogs?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what bullet?

Mostly some brand of xm193 or 55gr FMJ with some 855, wolf of either grain and very little 75gr OTM thrown in.

Shots have been 5yds to 300 with one or two shots being the norm to kill the critter quickly. I do thrown a bunch of lead if it's under ten yards just like I would do with a human.

I've killed close to 200 that I can vaguely remember. I've lost pics and didn't always take pics for record keeping, I do now.

I plan to do some spear work like the Bushman this summer.

Awesome! This is the kind of shit that makes me want to move to Texas !
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What light do you have on your rifle? And what is the best shot placement for hogs?

I am now using a Surefire Fury, it is the EAG model that only Bravo Company sells. It is a sinlge output 500 lumen light with a clicky tailcap. I have also used a LED G2 and dual output G2X. I use the light more for searching for downed hogs vs. hunting with it.

Shot placement is anywhere from the ear to just behind the shoulder. It's quite a big kill zone really. A lot of my shots are either at a running hog, from a moving vehicle or both so I have found that as long as I lead properly and aim a little higher I'll at least get the spine and drop it. Currently my shot of choice is head on in the forehead as skulls with bullet holes make cool euro mounts. Not knowing someones skill level I usually suggest through both shoulders, it works well despite what some people here say.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you. Now I just need to pick a optic for the Beowulf and I will be set.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#46]
If you are having trouble anchoring hogs with a 5.56mm, try this for a deadly change:

http://blackhillsammo.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/black-hills-ammunition-new-for-2013-the-optimized-5-56mm-62-gr-tsx/

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#48]
The tsx line is really nice.  I have some TTSX that expand just about identically.  Just a tipped version.  But good luck finding some in .223.  Then again good luck finding much of anything in .223.  Now .458 that's a different story.

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd say if you are having problems anchoring hogs with 223 you probably need to spend more time at the range. I know that hurts some people feelings, but I've hurt a lot of feelings in my life why stop now?

I understand the fact that people don't get to do what I do on a constant basis, have to pay to hunt and want to use a good bullet and I don't fault them for that. All I'm saying is that you don't "have" to use a exspenisve round or a 30cal. I say nay to the nay sayers, but oddly enough they never show up when I call them out. I guess they have no proof.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Remington just release a new Product called Hog Hammer in 223 remington, it is a Barnes TSX 62 grain bullet. My LGS just got some in and I bought two boxes of them. Going to try them out....Should be good.  Remington Hog Hammer ammo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top