Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 11/29/2012 10:42:56 AM EDT
Since it is apparent that I will be getting a bow to shoot with my oldest daughter (another thread) I would like to see some opinions for entry level equipment for me.  I am looking at these three bows due to the fact that they will probably make good second bows for her if she really takes to archery.  If she doesn't stick with it I will still have a good bow to hunt with for a while without having gone all in from the get go.  I really don't see me hunting with a bow without her so I figure her interest will stay up if I am practicing.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the Diamonds or Bowtechs, but do know that Diamond is the big-box store line of bows from Bowtech.   The Bowtech Assassin will be more bow than the two Diamond bows but will also have a higher price tag.

You will notice the limbs are closer to parallel as you get into the higher priced bows.  Having limbs that are parallel or past parallel eliminates recoil and handshock.  Makes the bow real nice shooting.

I bet a 50 lbs Bowtech Assassin would be great.  Keep it around 40-45 for her and then crank it up to 50 lbs if you use it.  Keep total arrow weight around 300-325 gr. and you'll have a fast shooting bow that's realy easy to draw when you're cold, tired and hungry and shaking from seeing the big buck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know much about these Hoyt bows?

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Since it is apparent that I will be getting a bow to shoot with my oldest daughter (another thread)...

May the odds be ever in your favor!

I have kids with an emerging interest in archery as well, so TAG for the good advice to come.

This really isn't HG related, more Brave if movie related at all.  She hunts with me and has killed with her 7mm-08.  She just expressed an interest in bow hunting and far be it from me to suppress what might be her natural instinct (wants to kill and eat everything).  I end up getting cool gear as a result.  I have been mulling over bow hunting for a few years anyways.  

Quoted:
I have no experience with the Diamonds or Bowtechs, but do know that Diamond is the big-box store line of bows from Bowtech.   The Bowtech Assassin will be more bow than the two Diamond bows but will also have a higher price tag.

You will notice the limbs are closer to parallel as you get into the higher priced bows.  Having limbs that are parallel or past parallel eliminates recoil and handshock.  Makes the bow real nice shooting.

I bet a 50 lbs Bowtech Assassin would be great.  Keep it around 40-45 for her and then crank it up to 50 lbs if you use it.  Keep total arrow weight around 300-325 gr. and you'll have a fast shooting bow that's realy easy to draw when you're cold, tired and hungry and shaking from seeing the big buck.

I bought her a used Hoyt Banshee for Christmas and she could pull 30# decently.  After she gets it I will take her back to the bow shop to have it tuned to her and the pull weight dropped to ~20-25ish till she gets her form and technique polished.  I need to get her some accessories, too.  

My goal here is to get me going with something that can become hers if she progresses to an actual hunting bow in a couple years, yet will be good enough for me to hunt with next season.  I did notice that alot of online and physical stores carry Diamond, just looking to see if they are decent or would I be better served to step up now and just buy her a better bow when she needs it.

Wes

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have purchased Two Diamond Razor's Edge bows for my 14 yr old twins in the last 2 months.  One right and one left handed.  I really like the little bows.  I don't see them needing any more bow for a long time.  They are turned down to about 45 lbs now, but can be torqued up to about 60 (I think).  Both girls really love them.   I am stepping them up from the little Genesis bows they have been shooting for the last 3 yrs.    My only real complaint is that for the left hand bows, they don't use left hand accessories.  They just put the right hand accessories on backwards.  The captive arrow rest was sticking out in front of the ledge instead of behind it, and they had mounted the quiver upside down.  I had a left handed rest that I put on, and I was able to fix the quiver, so more of a headache than anything.  I think most would eventually want to upgrade the sights, but they are fine for learning and will be good for a while.  The sights are four pin and the arrow rest in the captive rest with 3 brushes.  Seems to work fine.  The bows are really nice and compact.  Pretty light.

Overall, I am quite pleased.  You can adjust the draw length without a bow press which is handy.  

FWIW
Doc
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have purchased Two Diamond Razor's Edge bows for my 14 yr old twins in the last 2 months.  One right and one left handed.  I really like the little bows.  I don't see them needing any more bow for a long time.  They are turned down to about 45 lbs now, but can be torqued up to about 60 (I think).  Both girls really love them.   I am stepping them up from the little Genesis bows they have been shooting for the last 3 yrs.    My only real complaint is that for the left hand bows, they don't use left hand accessories.  They just put the right hand accessories on backwards.  The captive arrow rest was sticking out in front of the ledge instead of behind it, and they had mounted the quiver upside down.  I had a left handed rest that I put on, and I was able to fix the quiver, so more of a headache than anything.  I think most would eventually want to upgrade the sights, but they are fine for learning and will be good for a while.  The sights are four pin and the arrow rest in the captive rest with 3 brushes.  Seems to work fine.  The bows are really nice and compact.  Pretty light.

Overall, I am quite pleased.  You can adjust the draw length without a bow press which is handy.  

FWIW
Doc

Local shop has 2 black RE for $260 each.  They are bare bows IIRC so I could put whatever I want on them and have a hunting bow if I go that route and she would have good equipment later.  They also have the Infinite edge in camo with standard package gear for $400.  Of course, they are a full service shop so the sky is the limit for what they have and can sell me.

BTW - Daughter is 10 if you haven't looked at the other thread.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

... This really isn't HG related, more Brave if movie related at all...

Understood -- I have twin 5yo girls who absolutely loved Brave (and I got a kick out of it as well, I have to admit).

My interest in the thread is for my 9yo son, though, not them.  Not yet.

Thats why I bought a used bow.  The Hoyt Banshee adjusts from 20-45 and should grow with her for a couple years.  I gave $120 for it and figure it will serve her better than a box store bow and if she loses interest I can get my money back fairly easily.

Talking to friend of mine he suggested the Assassin over the two Diamonds. He just wasn't clear on whether it was a good idea to get me a bow with the intent of giving to my daughter later OR to get me a longer term bow and just get her something new as the need arises.

Thoughts?

Wes
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
OOoops, mistake.  My daughter corrected me.  On my description above, the DRE only has a 3 pin sight.

Sorry.

OT; SETXShooter, where are you?  We are north of Beaumont.  Looking for some 3-D shoots to get involved with this spring.  My girls are really wanting to get into some of that.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OOoops, mistake.  My daughter corrected me.  On my description above, the DRE only has a 3 pin sight.

Sorry.

OT; SETXShooter, where are you?  We are north of Beaumont.  Looking for some 3-D shoots to get involved with this spring.  My girls are really wanting to get into some of that.

Doc

South of Orange.  Sounds interesting but I need to see how my schedule and her practicing goes.  I am still trying to figure out a bow for me...

Wes
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... This really isn't HG related, more Brave if movie related at all...

Understood -- I have twin 5yo girls who absolutely loved Brave (and I got a kick out of it as well, I have to admit).

My interest in the thread is for my 9yo son, though, not them.  Not yet.

Thats why I bought a used bow.  The Hoyt Banshee adjusts from 20-45 and should grow with her for a couple years.  I gave $120 for it and figure it will serve her better than a box store bow and if she loses interest I can get my money back fairly easily.

Talking to friend of mine he suggested the Assassin over the two Diamonds. He just wasn't clear on whether it was a good idea to get me a bow with the intent of giving to my daughter later OR to get me a longer term bow and just get her something new as the need arises.

Thoughts?

Wes
Get yourself a good bow and get her a different one when the time comes.  The Infinite Edge is the replacement for the Razor Edge.  My 11y.o. has a Razor Edge and it is a good bow, but it really is meant for youth and small adults.  The Assassin would be what I recommend of the three.  Get her something else when she gets old/big enough to upgrade.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Update - I bought the Bowtech Assassin SD 70#.  I have it set to 60# to get used to shooting it and will turn it up if need be.  I also got a Scott release, man that thing is sweet.  Daughter and I went to get it today and shoot a bit at the bow range.

Wes
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top