Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 11/18/2020 5:30:52 PM EDT
Can I get some opinions on a good “bang for the buck” compound bow for a beginner? I would like to get into bow hunting for whitetail deer and there seems to an abundance of options. I need some experienced hunters to help narrow it down. I certainly don’t need top of the line being new to this, but don’t want junk. What’s something that will last me for a decade or two?

Also, what sights, arrows, accessories do you all recommend to a rookie?

Is this possible for $500 - $750? Or is this a $1,000 purchase?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Bear makes some really good inexpensive bows. You can find really good deals on eBay.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Diamond Infinite Edge.

Well under your price range and a good bow that can grow with the shooter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You may want to consider one of these with the free cables and strings for life (if you have a dealer shop nearby that could attend to that for you)?  Prime Logic  If you get new strings and cables as recommended by some every couple of years, it's a substantial cost over 10 yrs imo.  Personally, I picked up a NIB Bear Escape a few years back for around 1/2 msrp and I've been very pleased by that upgrade from my 2005 model bow which will need a new string for certain next season.  So I agree that the fpni.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Go visit some local shops and take a look at any new old stock options. They will probably have something that meets your needs quite well if you're not really picky.

Along the same lines as this thread: I finally upgraded this year and wanted to get something really nice without breaking the bank. Ended up finding a new old stock flagship Hoyt that originally MSRP'd for over 1k. Walked out with it fully set up with a QAD drop away, quiver, a dozen arrows, new release, new sight, tune, more broad heads, and another target for under 1k. A fully set up flagship bow for about $750 lets me care a lot less about whether it is this year's flagship or a few years old.

FWIW, the equivalent new flagship bow would have cost at least $1k more all in with performance that is virtually identical.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Mathews Vertix would be good. Its a great bow even for a couple years old. I have a VXR & the new V3 (Both the 31" models) and they are wonderful but that Vertix is still a fine piece. I dont know if they are on the second hand market for your price range but it would be worth it to try and scout one out. Beyond that, i am not sure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Hoyt TorrexPSE Drive NXT
Elite Valor
Matthews Mission
All of those are good. I killed a 9 point with a Valor this year.  PSE might have the best budget now but i think it's slightly more than the others.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Diamond Edge SB1, Bow all set up and ready to go, Between $350 -$400
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Look for a local bow shop, I had good luck with discontinued models or trade ins

I just sold a Reezen at the local shop for $300, it’s an older bow, not the smoothest but definitely a FAST bow.  Would have been a great deal for someone in your position.  Also check out archerytalk .com big classified section over there
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m not sure if Hoyt still makes the Powermax but it’s an entry level setup, ran me around $800 a few years back with half a dozen arrows and some broadheads.

I’m still very satisfied with mine. Regardless, please use your local archery shop over the big box store. It’s a much better experience and the staff are always super helpful and patient.
Page Archery » Bows
Top Top