Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2015 1:10:15 PM EDT
I have recently bought three 8" round and one 12"x20" silhouette ar500 steel target plates.  Now I just need some ideas on building something to hang them from and also how to hang them.  Does anyone have a set up with targets like this that they can post pics of or some tips, direction, etc?  We have 500 acres of land with quite a bit of flat land so I am hoping to be able to set up some long range shooting!

If this is posted in the wrong place please let me know and I will move it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Casper507] [#1]

Dirt Cheap- Tposts and tie Quck Links to attach chains going to gong.

Little more expensive- Caldwell type hangers you can drag around since the bottom serves as rocker or skid since it isn't driven into ground.

Most expensive- Caldwell stands
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been experimenting with this setup, the targets hang from UHMW. I use it at my home range and have tried them at a few 3Gun matches. Works way better than chain. If you hit the hanger the bullet just passes through, no more broken chains.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alemonkey] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
2x4's and sawhorse brackets. It runs about 10-15$ per stand depending on height and folds down nicely for transport. The legs aren't nailed or screwed in on my setup, but could be for a more permanent location. The wood will be vulnerable to errant shots and shrapnel from impacts but mine have held up nicely for awhile.

Shorter height
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]

T posts and parts of an old trampoline.

Old R-bar target stands tied together with tie wire. This is very portable.

old shelf brackets cut and then bolted together. Also very portable.

another one with T posts and old trampoline parts

old metal kids swing set

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Unistrut and their fittings made into a small swingset shape.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My biggest problem is the chain. No matter what its gonna get hit and its getting old. Ive tried a few other thing but just haven't found a good way to hang the steel without buying the wide rubber strips
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I built a few hangers from 3/4" rebar. Bent two 5ft pieces at 45* and welded heavy duty 3/4" washers in the angle. Then cut a 3ft piece two slip in the washers. Kick the legs out and it won't it move but can easily be taken down and stowed away. To hang the actual targets I just bend old round fence posts into an S-shape. And stick one in each hole on the target and hang the other end on the crossbar.

Sorry I don't have pictures.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARsR4ME:
My biggest problem is the chain. No matter what its gonna get hit and its getting old. Ive tried a few other thing but just haven't found a good way to hang the steel without buying the wide rubber strips
View Quote

Fire hose?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I just make a wide wood stand with big feet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 1/2" x 8" round ar550 target and I have two lengths of 1" webbing attached to the mounting bolts so it hangs with a slight downward angle to help prevent splash back.  

The webbing is great, it's taken many shots from 5.56 and 9mm with no harm.  Chain would never lasted as long as this.   Pick some up from REI or any decent outdoor shop should carry it.  I just clove hitch the webbing to the target backer top rail and it's good to go.  Sorry I don't have any pictures of it in action.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:58:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fatboy79] [#12]

Originally Posted By M-60:
Fire hose?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-60:
Originally Posted By ARsR4ME:

Fire hose?
Simple re bar frame then I got some heavy conveyor belt free from a local gravel pit . They have it laying around I just had to ask. It's nearly indestructible. If bullets do pass through they leave little tiny pin holes. Built a smaller one for the .22.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I use some cheapy 15" nylon webbing.  Lasts a long time when hit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Shepherds hooks are easy and cheap for your steel circles.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ICantShoot:
Shepherds hooks are easy and cheap for your steel circles.  

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/wzrd540/target_zpskrkmgov2.png
View Quote

I have the worst luck with those... I'll make a mistake in dialing or be shooting some weird subsonic load or something and cleanly bisect them every time...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vinconco] [#16]
Save some time and shoot more with these stands.  HangFastTargets.com

This system uses a newly designed hanger that hangs on a T post.  The target plate hangs on a single bolt and short chain.  The target plate protects the hanger and chain from bullet damage.  The plate hangs on a back angle to deflect bullet spall and energy prolonging the life of the plate.  The targets are extremely reactive and ring like a bell when hit.  This is the easiest system to use bar none.  All that is needed is a hammer or driver to install the post.  The hanger simply slips over the T post and the target hangs by the short chain.  Multiple targets can be hung from the same post.  Heavy targets  100 lbs or more can be hung with ease.  Target plates will withstand heavy fire and stay in place.

Stop fighting with your targets and start shooting them...

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#17]
I've been happy with this:

It's a full scale IPSC silhouette minus the D zone with overall dimension of 12" x 24"  The bullseye in the center is 5" in diameter backed by a 6" plate hung on the back of the main plate.

The two orange brackets are from Gear Head Works ($40) and they slip into normal 1" EMT conduit that can be purchased in 10' lengths for about $6, for a total cost of $52 with an extra center tube.

I've used it like this with a single target, as well as with a 4" tube on top to hang a pair of steel targets or a steel target and a Coroplast target backer for paper targets.  If you hang a target backer, you'll want to use guy lines to pull the bottom forward several inches to keep it from getting spattered by spall from the hits on the plate.

I stack the four 4' legs and the 2' or 4' top tube together, slip knot 550 cord over the ends and carry the tubing over my shoulder with the plate carried on a strap from the other shoulder.  It's very portable and quick to set up and take down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top