Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2016 11:07:07 PM EDT
What do you all think of the Magneto V3? I am considering one. Are they accurate and reliable? I like the portability/setup from what I have seen. I have seen them as low as $179.00. On line reviews are mixed.
If this has been covered here, please post a link. My search brought up nothing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just bought one.....still in the wrapper.

I read good reviews. Hopefully it lives up to the hype
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#2]
I would not get the sporter (cheaper model) and get the full V3.

I originally bought the sporter and was not impressed. I'm sure it worked just as well (as far as measuring velocity) but it felt very cheap to me and came in a cheap case. It's also only compatible with small barrels and not pistols, suppressors, large barreled rifles, and can't me rail mounted.

I love everything about the V3. I compared my shooting crony the first month and the average velocity was the same between the two Chronys, but the SD was much less with the V3 than the shooting Chrony.

With my precision reloads I usually see less than 8fps SD with my 308 while I would regularly see 20-30 with the shooting Chrony.

I also love the suppressor option and the fact that you can use it for virtually every shooting platform. I shoot mostly at a range so the ease of setup was key for me. I actually get it setup the night before so all I have to do it put it on and tighten it up, takes a few seconds to mount at the range.

The only negative I have is with the rail adapter. The rail adapter I have is a fixed height so you cannot add the standard spacers to get the necessary height. I find it works OK still, but I feel like the sensor is too far away in some cases (even though it still reads just fine).

The best thing about the V3 is I literally never miss a reading. With the standard Chrony I would miss a round or two every group it seemed. I have not missed a single reading with the V3.

Some people complain about the POI shift (which does exist) and the possibility of modifying the barrel harmonics. My heavy barrel 308 shoots groups just as well with or without the V3, I just wait to sight in my scope until I've removed the V3.

All in all, it's a very well built piece of equipment that I haven't regretted purchasing for a second.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By zach_:
What do you all think of the Magneto V3? I am considering one. Are they accurate and reliable? I like the portability/setup from what I have seen. I have seen them as low as $179.00. On line reviews are mixed.
If this has been covered here, please post a link. My search brought up nothing.
View Quote

I don't have the V3 I have the V1. Bryan Litz did an excellent test(as always) on chronographs in one of his book. It(magneto) is very accurate.

I have several thousand rounds over mine and have never seen an odd number generated. My display went out last year, they had a new one to me within the week.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely go v3. It's great kit, you'll love it. My V1 doesn't play well with muzzle brakes or magnum rifles but works brilliantly up to case capacities of around 65 grains (so a .30-06 size case) or thereabouts. The v3 a buddy uses has a significantly longer blast gap and handles my magnums just fine. I have to watch the bayo unit while shooting to make sure it doesn't walk off the barrel and the plastic near where the sensors gets ablated a bit with short barrels but it's not too bad and certainly nothing that can't be dealt with.

Now since you're looking at a higher end chronograph, you might also consider the LabRadar unit. Those are quite nice and while the interface is a little less than perfect it's easy to use and has definite benefits in that it's not mounted to your gun. You can even use em with cannons.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I am willing to spend the 189 but not the 399. The functionality, portability, and setup is my main concern. I want to be able to test MV with different factory ammo occasionally on guns the 189 variety will fit on. Thanks for the input.

The tripod mounted devices look to be a PITA for the shooter, and others on the firing line. I have seen several folks hold up the line setting up. I have heard stories of the things getting shot.

That LabRadar device looks like a more refined product than anything else out there. I just can't justify the coin for my use.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I am willing to spend the 189 but not the 399. The functionality, portability, and setup is my main concern. I want to be able to test MV with different factory ammo occasionally on guns the 189 variety will fit on. Thanks for the input.

The tripod mounted devices look to be a PITA for the shooter, and others on the firing line. I have seen several folks hold up the line setting up. I have heard stories of the things getting shot.

That LabRadar device looks like a more refined product than anything else out there. I just can't justify the coin for my use.
View Quote

if you shoot with a suppressor you're gonna need the V3.  the sporter won't work with a can.  

The V3 is worth it, I bought one last summer and have been very impressed with it.  Very accurate.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also using the V3. I was going to buy the sporter but my research pushed me to the V3. I am using it on a large variety of guns and have found it to be excellent on all of them. Once you learn to set it up it is fast and easy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Leaning towards the v3 tonight. Might be a good idea to order before I am sober tomorrow morning. Can't ship to the house, hope they ship to a different address than billing CC. Some places won't. Packages don't do well on front porches around here. The rep at Magneto said their sensor is different between the entry level and the next step up. What is it, buy one time cry one time??
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Leaning towards the v3 tonight. Might be a good idea to order before I am sober tomorrow morning. Can't ship to the house, hope they ship to a different address than billing CC. Some places won't. Packages don't do well on front porches around here. The rep at Magneto said their sensor is different between the entry level and the next step up. What is it, buy one time cry one time??
View Quote

If I only shot pencil barreled rifles I don't see a problem with the sporter. But the v3 is so much better it is well worth the extra. It will last a lifetime and is much more compatible.

You will not regret the v3. I instantly regretted the sporter purchase and sent it back the same night I got it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

If I only shot pencil barreled rifles I don't see a problem with the sporter. But the v3 is so much better it is well worth the extra. It will last a lifetime and is much more compatible.

You will not regret the v3. I instantly regretted the sporter purchase and sent it back the same night I got it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

Gotta find a $179.00 price tag to put on it for the wiff to see. If she finds out, I will bust out her never worn multiple pairs of shoes from "our" closet. Tags still on the shoes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
i am still using the V2 which works great with suppressors.   the V3 does look nicer, and you can buy a little adapter that lets it talk to your phone (bluetooth i think) which is cool.  but basically, the V2 does everything i need it to.  

point being, you may find looking for a used v2 in your budget.  finding a used v3 for sale is unlikely.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very happy with my sporter. It has worked great for heavy barreled rifles. I too have a chrony chono and my sd and es are so much better with the sporter.
Imho if you don't plan on using it with a suppressor or pistol the sporter will make you happy. Also make sure you get the cable to sink with you phone. I really hope they plan on adding more feature to their app.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GO4SHOOT:
I'm very happy with my sporter. It has worked great for heavy barreled rifles. I too have a chrony chono and my sd and es are so much better with the sporter.
Imho if you don't plan on using it with a suppressor or pistol the sporter will make you happy. Also make sure you get the cable to sink with you phone. I really hope they plan on adding more feature to their app.
View Quote

Any issue with the sporter version when using it on an ar15 with a A2 flash hider?  I've been using the chrony chrono for a while and I'm sick of it not working on a nice sunny day.  Cloudy days it's great, but with a nice clear blue sky I can't get it to work.  I don't use heavy barrels, brakes, or suppressors so that isn't an issue for me.  I use Remington varmint or medium palma profile barrels with no muzzle device on bolt action rifles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By taliv:
i am still using the V2 which works great with suppressors.   the V3 does look nicer, and you can buy a little adapter that lets it talk to your phone (bluetooth i think) which is cool.  but basically, the V2 does everything i need it to.  

point being, you may find looking for a used v2 in your budget.  finding a used v3 for sale is unlikely.
View Quote

Or a V1, my V1 works for anything including my BB gun that I use for calibrating ballistic gelatin.

I was testing loads in my bullet trap at home and cocked the rifle too much in the tube this flexed bayo into the bullet path, skinned the fucker rendering it useless. I bought a  blemished V3 bayo from their site -I cannot find any blems on it- it is a nicer bayo and supposedly they are going to have an accessory rail mount for it to use on semiauto handguns. I am not sure if the V3 bayo will work with the Sporter(don't see why not), may want to check it out. Get the Sporter now  then in the future, if you find the need later you could get the V3 bayo.

I have fired thousands of rounds over my ShootingChrony in the last 10-12 years and never touched it but managed to hit my Magneto.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 10:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GO4SHOOT] [#15]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

Any issue with the sporter version when using it on an ar15 with a A2 flash hider?  I've been using the chrony chrono for a while and I'm sick of it not working on a nice sunny day.  Cloudy days it's great, but with a nice clear blue sky I can't get it to work.  I don't use heavy barrels, brakes, or suppressors so that isn't an issue for me.  I use Remington varmint or medium palma profile barrels with no muzzle device on bolt action rifles.
View All Quotes

Besides changing the sensor from low to high via the phone app and cable no problems at all.  It's way better than a chrony.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Besides changing the sensor from low to high via the phone app and cable no problems at all.  It's way better than a chrony.
View All Quotes

How is the app?  

I like mine - first chrony I've had.  Works on everything but my 5" 500 S&W.  Picks up almost every shot.  Very nice because I don't have to go downrange to set it up - that is always an adventure at a public range.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

How is the app?
View Quote

Its nice to see the shot string on a larger screen than the small sporter screen.  It's also nice to be able to email shot strings to me desktop for permanent storage.  The app is kinda basic though, I wish it had more features.  It would be way sweet if it had a integrated ballistic calculator.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Is a phone app necessary to use it or just an aid?  I'm still living in the stone ages I don't own what they call a "smart phone".  
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Is a phone app necessary to use it or just an aid?  I'm still living in the stone ages I don't own what they call a "smart phone".  
View Quote

Not necessary but nice to have.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Thank you for sharing all the info.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Its nice to see the shot string on a larger screen than the small sporter screen.  It's also nice to be able to email shot strings to me desktop for permanent storage.  The app is kinda basic though, I wish it had more features.  It would be way sweet if it had a integrated ballistic calculator.
View All Quotes

How is the app?

Sounds like a place someone could make a few bucks...  Run a string of 5 rounds, hit the button and you have all your holds for the next rounds.  Then make it real time - ever round fired over the Magneto updates the data and your dope.  Better yet, couple it with the phone's GPS and a weather app and you'd have it all.  

Now if I could do anything more with computers than type on websites...
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a sporter and it works well for me even over flash hiders or brakes.  The only annoyance is on ARs that don't have enough exposed barrel to attach.

I don't miss my shooting chrony.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Sounds like a place someone could make a few bucks...  Run a string of 5 rounds, hit the button and you have all your holds for the next rounds.  Then make it real time - ever round fired over the Magneto updates the data and your dope.  Better yet, couple it with the phone's GPS and a weather app and you'd have it all.  

View All Quotes

How is the app?

Except when you go to shoot without the v3 attached. I will rarely, if ever, have my v3 attached in the field.

But I agree it would be cool if we could sync our realtime v3 data with our AB calculator. FWIW, I did a lot of my 260 work up at temps @55 degree. a couple of my 600 yd shoots were @ 30 degree. The AB app adjusted for current conditions and was only .25 moa off from actual. That works for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Except when you go to shoot without the v3 attached. I will rarely, if ever, have my v3 attached in the field.

But I agree it would be cool if we could sync our realtime v3 data with our AB calculator. FWIW, I did a lot of my 260 work up at temps @55 degree. a couple of my 600 yd shoots were @ 30 degree. The AB app adjusted for current conditions and was only .25 moa off from actual. That works for me.
View All Quotes

How is the app?

Not practical for anything but a stationary square range...  This would probably be pretty easy for someone who is computer savvy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Not practical for anything but a stationary square range...  This would probably be pretty easy for someone who is computer savvy.
View All Quotes

How is the app?

This is why I collect MV data, ambient temp, ammo temp and round count every time I shoot. With enough data you can get a damn good idea of MV with just a thermometer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]
The future will be here when we can tape a chrony/stress gauge to the top of our barrel. Our B calc will feed real time solutions to our scope and corrections will be automatic.

But then that would remove fun from the equation. I am all for learning in a controlled environment and gaining experience in the real world.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]
FYI, midway has the magnetospeed chronys on sale, 349 for the v3, 169 for the sporter in cart price.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got the V3, no complaints. It does what its supposed to and does it very well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Curious, why do some of you guys feel the need to Chrono your rounds suppressed? Other than being easier in the ears.

Developing loads for a precision rifle seems to be just as reliable with or without the can.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:
Curious, why do some of you guys feel the need to Chrono your rounds suppressed? Other than being easier in the ears.

Developing loads for a precision rifle seems to be just as reliable with or without the can.
View Quote

There can be velocity increases between suppressed and not, and on a precision rig thats nice data to have.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

There can be velocity increases between suppressed and not, and on a precision rig thats nice data to have.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

That, along with the fact that I don't like to shoot without a suppressor. I would imagine most with cans feel the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top