Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2016 5:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RANGER_556]
Ok, I have 3 AR10s....actual Armalite AR10s.

Two are in a 'build phase'. Both are .308 but I am considering (strongly) to either 6.5 Creedmor or 260 Rem now instead of later.  Trying to find a barrel is impossible and after googling I've seen others are in the same boat.

It seems that no one is really catering to the Armalite specs and they are getting left behind. So instead of searching high and low both now and in the future for parts and replacement barrels I'm very strongly considering divesting myself completely of Armalite AR10's .....while they are basically brand new and still worth something.

So that said, I'm basically starting all over on the two builds......  

What upper/lowers should I consider?  Upside is, I can now consider the Gemtech Suppressed Bolt carrier or even the JP BCG.

Also, magazines.....I can get the magpul versions for $20 or less instead of the $35-40 Armalite mags.  I dropped a fortune on mags years ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite is making a .260 rifle, now.

But I hear you on the barrels. It's a struggle.

My personal recommendation is Mega for the big guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Mega.  Or you could use DPMS pattern barrels and BCGs in your Armalites.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
View Quote

Would the DPMS style BCG complete fit/function in an Armalite upper?

If so, and function reliabily, I'd do that as it's the easiest and cheapest fix.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

If so, and function reliabily, I'd do that as it's the easiest and cheapest fix.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It should.  The opposite has been done successfully.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWM] [#5]

View All Quotes

I wish I could answer not sure, I did some googleing cause I found it interesting, and several older threads on here came up.
Sorry dont know how to link, hotlink or any of that.

I did see some talk that its been done, but saw talk that its a complete carrier/bolt swap with barrel/setension, not just the bolt.
Said due to spring firing pin system.
DISCLAIMER..I know nothing about Armalite, but just built a DPMS 6.5, and learned alot from the net and arfcom.

It was also suggested to me to use a high pressure bolt on the 6.5 C, which I did, may or may not be necessary.
I got my barrel and bolt from Fulton Armory, they also certified headspace, and sent a note along with it showing such.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
So, the MEGA looks nice.  Definately a plus with AR15 LPK total compatibility.

What others are out there?

I'm about 75-85% leaning towards complete divestment of everything Armalite.

Maybe I should IM Larry.....maybe he'll buy all my Armalite stuff
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
So, the MEGA looks nice.  Definately a plus with AR15 LPK total compatibility.

What others are out there?

I'm about 75-85% leaning towards complete divestment of everything Armalite.

Maybe I should IM Larry.....maybe he'll buy all my Armalite stuff
View Quote

I recently got a CMT billet lower for my 15, they are nice.
I think a 308 set may be a little cheaper than mega.
I will buy CMT again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at the Aero M5 Receiver Sets...very nice and the price is great as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You could buy an LMT bolt and carrier, then use any DPMS-extension barrel you find on the web.  You'll have to use a 5.56 AR gas tube.

Save you a lot of ass-pain.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're using free floated forends its a non issue. If you want traditional drop in handguards with a front sight, it may be an issue.

The main differences as I recall it are:
different barrel nut thread pitch ( need an armalite free float forend)
different gas tube length

Lower receivers as a general rule are proprietary, bolt catches/pivot/ take down pins vary for EVERY manufacturer.

I built a DPMS barrel/Matrix Aero receiver set ( Pmag compatible Armalite pattern)  12" AR308 pistol a few years ago before 10" barrels were common. The DPMS 16" barrel was the cheapest to buy and have cut to 12".

Swapping barrels and bolts will work, it just the gas systems & forends that are going hang you up.  

I just bought another 10 Brownells AR308 mags today for $12/ea. Ive got an Armalite Ar10 carbine and a pile of mags for it, but Im done buying Armalite mags when DPMS pattern are so much cheaper
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
Look at the Aero M5 Receiver Sets...very nice and the price is great as well.
View Quote

Great price.

Not crazy about the forward assist. Don't know that it is necessary on the 308.

Also, I think it will 'get in the way' for the offset/flip down MBUS I have for the rifle.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
You could buy an LMT bolt and carrier, then use any DPMS-extension barrel you find on the web.  You'll have to use a 5.56 AR gas tube.

Save you a lot of ass-pain.
View Quote

Yeah, but can anyone say to a moral certainty that the DPMS style BCG will work in an Armalite upper?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NWRed:
If you're using free floated forends its a non issue. If you want traditional drop in handguards with a front sight, it may be an issue.

Lower receivers as a general rule are proprietary, bolt catches/pivot/ take down pins vary for EVERY manufacturer.

I built a DPMS barrel/Matrix Aero receiver set ( Pmag compatible Armalite pattern)  12" AR308 pistol a few years ago before 10" barrels were common. The DPMS 16" barrel was the cheapest to buy and have cut to 12".

Swapping barrels and bolts will work, it just the gas systems & forends that are going hang you up.  

I just bought another 10 Brownells AR308 mags today for $12/ea. Ive got an Armalite Ar10 carbine and a pile of mags for it, but Im done buying Armalite mags when DPMS pattern are so much cheaper
View Quote

Yes, all handguards are free float.

Are you telling me that as long as I use the Armalite barrel nut that I can use the DPMS/SR25 style BCG with a barrel that has the DPMS/SR25 barrel extensions?

If so, this is DEFINATELY the easiest fix.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Are you telling me that as long as I use the Armalite barrel nut that I can use the DPMS/SR25 style BCG with a barrel that has the DPMS/SR25 barrel extensions?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NWRed:

Yes, AFAIK the bolt/barrel extensions are the same. Its the external receiver threads that different patterns, hence the different brand specific forends

Buying a dpms pattern barrel and bolt would simplify the process though. You'll just need the correct gas tube, Ive forgotten which was longer.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
The other alternative is to mill out some of the mag stops on your uppers, and then:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/293333_.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I have 3 AR10s....actual Armalite AR10s.

Two are in a 'build phase'. Both are .308 but I am considering (strongly) to either 6.5 Creedmor or 260 Rem now instead of later.  Trying to find a barrel is impossible and after googling I've seen others are in the same boat.

It seems that no one is really catering to the Armalite specs and they are getting left behind.  I have spoke with ARMALITE twice in the last 5 weeks about parts.  I need[ed] two AR-10 barrel extensions etc.  I was told that the industry is having a hard time delivering parts to manufacturers.  Only a few folks build barrel extensions and those machines have to build other parts as well.  He said it's not exactly a Panic Buy going on but very, very, close.  I'm having a 24" 6.5CM barrel made for an ARMALITE build by a highly respected smith that is using a BAT Machine extension with a Bartlein pipe with my supplied bolt.   So instead of searching high and low both now and in the future for parts and replacement barrels I'm very strongly considering divesting myself completely of Armalite AR10's .....while they are basically brand new and still worth something.

So that said, I'm basically starting all over on the two builds......  

What upper/lowers should I consider?  Upside is, I can now consider the Gemtech Suppressed Bolt carrier or even the JP BCG.

Also, magazines.....I can get the magpul versions for $20 or less instead of the $35-40 Armalite mags.  I dropped a fortune on mags years ago.
View Quote

6.5CM was designed with a gasser in mind.  

You'll pay more than $20 for plastic that will let you COL out like an ARMALITE mag.

Best to you, Ranger.

BTW, MEGA is never a wrong answer...  unless, you've got enough stash to finish an ARMALITE.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Ranger,

Though expensive, Mega, in my opinion, has the most incredible dimensioning and tolerancing out there.  Both of my Megas fit together like solid units.  

Now, my carbine is just in the finishing stages but my rifle has gone through a lot, if you have seen some of my threads and comments.  Throughout all phases of that build, my Mega, Jp and Geiselle components were top notch in performance.  That rifle was together and apart more times than I can count and the gun only got better.

The gang at Mega SERIOUSLY know what they are doing when I comes to their CNC programming and manufacturing.  Their inspection protocol is fantastic.  To give you an example:  When I bought my first Mega matched set, I also ended up buying a Mega lower independantly and ended up "stuck" with it.  Well...after I got my rifle rocking and rolling.....I got to thinking about making a carbine....so, I ordered an upper a while back.  That upper ( which is nearly two years "newer" than the lower ) fit even BETTER than my matched set....and my matched set is PHENOMENAL.

If I can add a couple of things I wish I would have done from the get go, the first time around ( though in this case it was fortunate that I did not ) I would have ordered the upper receiver barrel lapping tool for .308 and trued the face of my upper.  Mind you, this is STRICTLY in order to blueprint the action and to squeeeeze the teeniest bit more of perpendicularity out of the barrel seat fitup. I also would have had a plan to shim my extension to the upper the first time around.  Of course, I had the gun apart so many times that it didn't matter.  I CeraKote the extension and polish it to fit with 800 grit automotive paper.  I think LRRP has a slightly easier method.  He can fill you in on that.

If the heart of your gun is something along the order of JP, Geisselle and other top end components you will have a hard time going wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

.  I think LRRP has a slightly easier method.  He can fill you in on that..  
View Quote

Go on.....I'm listening......
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Mega.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By desertmoon:

.  I think LRRP has a slightly easier method.  He can fill you in on that..  

I'll link the thread when I get home from work today.  It's in the 308 variant forum.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Great thread.  Very informative.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The only receiver set I'm interested in now for the larger cartridges is the new Mega Small Frame MA-TEN.

That in a 6.5 CM or .260 Rem will be my dedicated ELR and long-range hunting platform, to supplant an arsenal of 6.5 Grendel AR15s.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
The only receiver set I'm interested in now for the larger cartridges is the new Mega Small Frame MA-TEN.

That in a 6.5 CM or .260 Rem will be my dedicated ELR and long-range hunting platform, to supplant an arsenal of 6.5 Grendel AR15s.

http://www.megaarms.com/wp-content/gallery/sf-maten/ZANL8142.jpg

http://www.megaarms.com/wp-content/gallery/sf-maten/ZANL8134.jpg
View Quote

Huh, that looks like a strong contender for first place.

Doesn't appear they are planning to offer them as an upper/lower set.  Just complete builds.  That is not a bad price however. Not familiar with their barrels....how are the reviews on the barrels they use?

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Mega Machine is one of the top notch manufacturers out there.

Their machining and attention to detail is world-class really, and I am always impressed with them.

I have no connection to the company whatsoever, just calling it like it is.

I consider them peers with Seekins.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:36:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#26]

Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Mega Machine is one of the top notch manufacturers out there.

Their machining and attention to detail is world-class really, and I am always impressed with them.

I have no connection to the company whatsoever, just calling it like it is.

I consider them peers with Seekins.
View Quote

I'm with LRRP,as has been noted.  Both of my Megas have been stellar.  I have to reserve judgement on the second until I get it live...but, as usual, I spared no expense and this time I made sure to use a normal gas tube, nothing weird like the last debacle.  The fitup has been outstanding on both guns.

I can't wait to report on my carbine.

There is one thing that I "have" agasint Mega and many .308 manufacturers.  I have rarely needed the forward assist on an AR-15 but on tight guns and particularly .308s, it would be nice to have a forward assist.  I would gladly buy new uppers to incorporate them.  Brass checking a tight .308 is a bitch without one.

Ranger...I concur with your idea to use the new Mega small .308.  You'll find the FA to be handy on a target gun.    I wonder if they will sell matched upper/lower sets at some point.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top