Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#1]
PLEASE FIX THE ACTIVE TOPICS! THERE ITS NO OPTION FOR GENERAL IN THE DROP DOWN!

an option for "All Topics" would be nice for active topics as well.  Because right now, navigating this site is like driving a truck with no headlights through the woods at night with sunglasses on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
:-)
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
GoatBoy,

Thanks for your work on the upgrade.

How do I set newest topics to the EE?  The EE newest topic list was pretty awesome for finding good deals before they got snatched up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The EE overview is not showing any new listings for me, as a matter of fact its showing the zombie error.  Is this being worked on?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good!  I thought I was on the wrong forum initially!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nchapa:
The EE overview is not showing any new listings for me, as a matter of fact its showing the zombie error.  Is this being worked on?
View Quote

Its working now, you guys are fast!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GriswoldGuns:
PLEASE FIX THE ACTIVE TOPICS! THERE ITS NO OPTION FOR GENERAL IN THE DROP DOWN!

an option for "All Topics" would be nice for active topics as well.  Because right now, navigating this site is like driving a truck with no headlights through the woods at night with sunglasses on.
View Quote

Also, on the ACTIVE TOPICS page please bring back the reference for which sub-forum the thread originated from.  For instance, if I saw a thread entitled "pistol won't eject brass" but could see it was in the ruger subforum I would know to skip the topic as I do not own a ruger pistol.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Kudos to everyone who worked on the software and db migration.  I'm really digging it so far, nice job guys!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:44:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2000Z3M] [#9]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:

Hamburger button on the top left corner opens the menu. If you want to switch to the full site on a mobile device, it's an option in the menu. (To go back to mobile you need to look for the link in the footer of the normal site. It will only show up for those in mobile who choose full site view.)
View Quote

Is there a way to make it 50 post per page on mobile?

ETA: how about the report button while on mobile? Am i missing it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:
Blog Post
Welcome To The New AR15.Com!

A quick welcome message and link to the mini "tour" article. It has taken longer than we had hoped to bring to life, but we think it will be well worth the wait!

Read Full Article »

Blog Post
Quick Help Guide

A mini-tour of the new site's layout and locations for all the key features.

Read Full Article »

Please take a minute to check out the welcome post along with a quick help/tour of the main layout changes.

Remember that we will continue to work on things, so be patient and give things a chance. There may be things you love and things you hate, and I'll listen to all feedback and ideas. Just try to word it in a polite manner.
View Quote

Please move the active topics and subscriptions links back to a an always visible location on the links banner.

Anyone who misses the look of the old site, switch to Gray mode in your profile settings.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By planman:
http://i65.tinypic.com/21kh45s.jpg
View Quote

Agreed, this suks big time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:00:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeDougy] [#13]
Originally Posted By KTV:
from desktop
What happened to "search"????
View Quote

Found it.  Screwdriver and Wrench icon.

Also, are we using this thread for bugs and whatnot or is there a dedicated thread for that?  Also, if someone can point me to resize the pages on laptops, this large layout is killing me.  I'll chalk it up to you guys being old 

One more thing,  I want my join date changed. Arfcom says I have been here a lot longer, make it so Arfcom gods!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#15]
...and here we go!!!

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Great work everyone!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:07:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#17]
Originally Posted By METT-T:
Appears to have improved mobile device readability at a dramatic cost to laptop/desktop users. Really unpleasant.
View Quote

This... I'll give it a chance and see how things go, but right now it's a bit of a headache.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:15:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SPTiger] [#20]
I hate it. When I click on the little green arrow that supposed to take you to the last page you viewed in a thread, it takes you to a page that has the thread title listed twice but doesn't actually open the thread. Really weird.

ETA- I keep getting an error message when I try to upload a new avatar.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:15:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Konstanty] [#21]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
Gonna take a little getting used to, but its easier for me to read.
View Quote

Agree 100%  This is a HUGE improvement in readability.  Thanks.

If anyone's interested, I'm using a laptop and Firefox.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#22]
WHOOA
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't mind the changes but I'm curious why?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#24]
why do people mess with shit. if it aint broke dont fix it im sorry but it sucks for now. ill have to try it on the pc later.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Feeling a little better now... found my subscribed threads.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd1983] [#26]
This will take some getting used to. The oversize font issue I solved by "Ctrl + (-) down to about 80%.  Much more comfortable to read now.  Also, I had to quote someone in order to reply. The Reply icon doesn't show up for this topic, but it does on a few others that I tried.

Maybe because I'm not a paynig member, but I also can't change background color away from the black everywhere 2000 Myspace theme.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tallhorse89:
New active topic sucks. It makes u pick from a sub forum.  On the old one it let you see the most active threads on the whole site. I used that all the time. On the plus side the mobile version is awesome.
View Quote

+1 This!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for that much easier on the eyes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#29]
wish i could say i was a fan....

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:
The old layout was much faster to navigate, this looks like Fischer Price Web Design...I hope you didn't actually pay for any license or web design work 'cuz its bad, really bad.

Back end upgrades are always an understandable necessity,  but a complete replacement on the front is rarely needed or good.
View Quote

I have to say I agree. I appreciate the dedication it must have taken to make such a change, but I don't like the feel at all.

Can we get a retro mode option for the old interface?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Where's the IM button?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm in!

It will take some getting used to but we survived 8 years of Obama and we will survive this change as well!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Is there a reason I can no longer access the trainer exchange? 

Did y'all do away with instructor icons? 
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh, thank you so much!  The weird black/brown section bars are gone.  Everything is much nicer now.  I am sure I can get used to this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh. Looks a lot like W8 and W10 which are awful. There seems to be a lot of wasted space. I practically never browse on a handheld device so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TheBandito:
Meh. Looks a lot like W8 and W10 which are awful. There seems to be a lot of wasted space. I practically never browse on a handheld device so I can't comment on that.
View Quote

it was even worse when i woke up this morning.  actually put off looking at arfcom till after i got in to work because it was so frustrating.

sadly it was no better when i arrived.  shame, really.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#37]
When I go to edit my profile and then click the first two links at the top (Discussion Forums, Firearms Resources), they don't work.  No drop-down appears like it does everywhere else.  They work fine from other places.  

Also, I see this at the bottom of my profile where it shows "Forum Activity":

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.
View Quote

It may be because I was once a team member and am no longer.  It shows some old Negative Feedback thread from the EE as the only thread in my Forum Activity section.

Edited to correct my issue - dropdowns are missing on first two options, but the others link away fine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:02:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LARRYG] [#38]
Put it back.

Is there a way to adjust the font size or page size on the forum?

I don't want to be adjusting that on my browser then other sites will be tiny.

This is huge.

And where the hell is the "subscribed threads" button now?

Once again, this is HUGE.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#39]
My green arrows don't work on my iPad from my subscribed threads page. They work from the main page fine. In subscribed threads they just open a page saying how many pages there are in the thread. I know I'm doing something wrong. I logged out & then back in. Didn't help.

Other than that, the site is WAY faster for me & is way, WAY easier to read!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:07:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ol_Boltface] [#40]
And, apparently, it's somehow easier to make a dupe. I don't think I ever did that before...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#41]
PLUS ONE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#42]
where is "gray" mode setting?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:18:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#43]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
Love the new quote feature, but some of the main tabs across the top need to come back.  I used to be able to hop from general to industry to hometown etc. in a single click.  Now it takes extra clicks and some scrolling.  Noticeably less streamlined.

Also, WTF is happening with our avatars, and how to we fix it?
View Quote

Yep, needs hotlinks to Subscriptions, My EE listings, etc.

Still not a fan though. Still can see fewer posts on my screen, everything is bigger. I say go back to the old one and try again

Also, the green button for jump to last read post does not work
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Too much empty spaces --- !  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RONINBUDO:
THIS SUCKS ON A LAPTOP
View Quote

Desktop too.

I think its been covered......This is too big on pcs.  I know i am but an unimportant peon....but i won't be coming back if this is to stay.  It is very uncomfortable, my eyes feel like they are going to bleed.  WAY WAY WAY too big.

Other than that........i like the new format
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the hard work, Y'all! On initial use, I dislike it, but I know I'll get used to the change.  Is there an easy way to implement a "classic" view (some forums have implemented that)?

Originally Posted By jhereg:
2 things I hate so far

No buttons for subscribed/active threads w/o using  drop down menu.  I use those a lot and it's really annoying.   2nd Problem is that everything is way to big.   Checking in user settings I see font sizes of regular/large/extra large.  I want extra small/small.  Everything is WAY too big.
View Quote

I agree with your two points, especially the issue of everything being so large, which makes everything spread out way too much.  The line spacing within posts and between components outside of the posts needs to be reduced.  For example, the components right below this text block as I'm replying are too large and too spaced out.

As it is:
Attachment Attached File

As it could be with reduced spacing and component sizes:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:23:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aceman4] [#47]
In the EE forum, there is a problem with the column text overlapping between the Author and Reply # column if the Author length is too long.

Example
url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_7/89_Handgun-Mags--Parts--andamp--Accessories.html]http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_7/89_Handgun-Mags--Parts--andamp--Accessories.html[/url]

The list "Glock Suarez Combat Mag Release New" is a great example.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shaggy] [#48]
My biggest complaint - and FWIW, I'm on a laptop - is the sizing.  Old format used to be able to see several response lines of a thread in a page.  Now, its only one or maybe two.  Makes it much more difficult to follow a conversation once you're in a thread.

ETA - And now my avatar is just a hat.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:28:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#49]
I want the mobile version to be efficient, fast and low bandwidth.   Do I have to see avatars and all the wasted post space or am I seeing the wrong thing?

I tried the full site menu option but other than some navigation bars across top and seeing more partner icons, it looked the same.  Is that right? No change asking the browser to request desktop site.  Couldnt find the get back to mobile site link initially as it required scrolling to the far right.

ETA Mobile looks different (and better) on my phone than on the tablet (avatar and poster info horizontal over top of post and no scrolling needed)....but I still dont want to see the avatars  and all the wasted post space for the sake of bandwidth and efficiency especially on the smaller screens.

ETA2 Assuming I am on mobile, at least now I can start a topic post and edit it without going to full site.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:37:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#50]
Mobile doesn't work on my Motorola G.  Have to use full site.

Email still  doesn't work for shit on the cell either.  

Awesome!  
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top