BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gazorpazorp:

That affects the browser as a whole. It would change the size of every other website I use, making everything smaller when only this site needs to be scaled down.

It is bewildering how anyone could see this and think it's okay. This should only apply to mobile devices, while proper desktops and laptops keep the previous interface. I don't know of a single website that kept a good desktop experience after redesigning for mobile use.  (most mobile websites suck too.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By logan10:
For the folks who have issues with size on PCs and laptops, does control - (minus) or control + (plus) help you or does it only resize your font?

That affects the browser as a whole. It would change the size of every other website I use, making everything smaller when only this site needs to be scaled down.

Originally Posted By Fairplay:
It just blows. I personally have no clue how anyone  could rate this experience as far as the look and layout goes being  anything but a huge step backwards.

It is bewildering how anyone could see this and think it's okay. This should only apply to mobile devices, while proper desktops and laptops keep the previous interface. I don't know of a single website that kept a good desktop experience after redesigning for mobile use.  (most mobile websites suck too.)

Exactly. Please, please, please go back to the old site
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for way too big and too much dead space on PC.  I scaled down to 80% and I still need to scroll to see each reply.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:22:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Exactly. Please, please, please go back to the old site
View Quote

They won't. Time and money were spent on this redesign; it's here to stay.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
As someone who uses this site probably 75% on my desktop at work I find the new site way more difficult to navigate. I liked the bar across the top with the different forums instead of the drop down menu. Also, the wasted space in the threads now makes it difficult to read. I would like to see a classic version as an option if possible. While I would agree that there were things that needed to be updated on this site I think the complete revamping may have gone a little bit to far.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Konstanty:

Agree 100%  This is a HUGE improvement in readability.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Konstanty:
Originally Posted By southerncross:
Gonna take a little getting used to, but its easier for me to read.

Agree 100%  This is a HUGE improvement in readability.  Thanks.

Pretty much what I'm thinking.  I'm sure there will be a learning curve and bugs to work out but my old eyes sure appreciate the improved readability.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Any way I can get embedded youtube videos on the mobile site to fit to screen in the browser ?

Half the video is out of the screen and you can not zoom out or center.

You have to go to YouTube to watch.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

It's currently the only way I see for those who find it too large. Doesn't take much time to change when viewing other sites.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By shaggy:
My biggest complaint - and FWIW, I'm on a laptop - is the sizing.  Old format used to be able to see several response lines of a thread in a page.  Now, its only one or maybe two.  Makes it much more difficult to follow a conversation once you're in a thread.

ETA - And now my avatar is just a hat.  
View Quote

I can see 3 of these "Fat" posts here on my laptop.

When I first logged on this AM it was Yuge!

Then I adjusted my screen size and everything is back to normal for me.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

Pretty much what I'm thinking.  I'm sure there will be a learning curve and bugs to work out but my old eyes sure appreciate the improved readability.

Thanks!
View Quote
Most of us with "old eyes" use reading glasses.  This new format seriously reminds me of when Windows went to that ridiculous giant icon operating system a few years ago.

How can ANYONE look at this and say "oh yeah!  This is good stuff!  I really like the way the discussion titles and avatars take up at least a third of my screen now.  Because I LOVE to scroll, and scroll, and scroll....."  

Where are all the damn hot buttons?  Replaced by drop down menus?  WHY?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
Put it back.

Is there a way to adjust the font size or page size on the forum?

I don't want to be adjusting that on my browser then other sites will be tiny.

This is huge.

And where the hell is the "subscribed threads" button now?

Once again, this is HUGE.
View Quote

I adjusted my screen size on this page and it is back to normal for me.

It did not affect any other tab on my browser.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree on the comments about the size being too big. I have dual 24" monitors on my desktop and it's FREAKING HUGE. I wear glasses but damn!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

I can see 3 of these "Fat" posts here on my laptop.

When I first logged on this AM it was Yuge!

Then I adjusted my screen size and everything is back to normal for me.

BigDozer66
View Quote

Without having resized, etc, I see 10 posts on this page and I have laptop set at 125% (my chosen default).
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FiremanFrank:
I thought something was wrong with my computer but apparently it is the new format.  I don't like it as now the ad banner follows me around where before I didn't have to see them along with other things I don't care for.  That was part of the reason I was a team member and now I won't be renewing when the time comes.  Not a fan and wish there was a way to view this the way it was yesterday.

Edit.  I am trying to view this new version on a laptop running Windows 7.0 and the subscribe feature no longer works.  When I go to see the thread that I am subscribed to it takes me to an empty page with no posts.  Not working for me at all.
View Quote

I am running Windows 10, Firefox (updated to the newest edition) on my laptop and the subscribe feature works fine for me.

I did log out and log back in this AM as some said it needed to be done.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Not in my Chrome browser it doesn't. I have 6 other tabs open with zero reduction.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Roland-G23:
There is no POST in thread option I can see, have to pick a particular post and hit reply.

It is really slow.

Can't see feedback in profile.
View Quote

I just clicked on your profile and the Feedback shows +53 -0 O0 on it. It is above your profile not in your avatar box.
I'm not sure where it was before?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]

BigDozer66
View Quote

What browser? How'd you accomplish that?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:

Not in my Chrome browser it doesn't. I have 6 other tabs open with zero reduction.
View All Quotes

In my Chrome browser it does.  If I change the font in one tab it affects all the tabs.  In any case, the damn avatars and titles are taking up a RIDICULOUS amount of space.  Why do they extend all the way across the page now?  Is this considered such important information that it has to take up a third of the screen?  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Reiko:
The full width everything is a really bad experience on desktop. Plz max-width the body!

Edit - Love the feature where the page shakes violently as it loads

Edit 2 - I'm finding this format extremely unpleasant to use on desktop which accounts for 100% of my browsing. Its not just not good, its actively bad. To the point of driving me, my headache, and my membership away. In addition to just being ugly, its not even functional or otherwise easy, muchless easier, to use.
View Quote

I do 99% of my browsing on my laptop and I have not experienced any of the symptoms that you describe.

Being ugly is just an opinion and some will hate it while others will not.  

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

The size doesn't bother me, however, I changed the size and it impacted all tabs. Running Chrome. Did this in Windows 10, Windows 7, Kubuntu (Linux).
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Having had spent some more time with the new site, I will repeat my earlier post.

SUCKS!

Looks like a 3 year old with a box of crayolas and some poster board did it.

Change it back or at least make it so the old site is available.

Honestly I don't know why you guys screwed with it. It worked fine.
View Quote

Being a life member, I had a early look around of the beta version. I didn't comment then, but I will now.

Dog1 nailed it. SUCKS

I use a laptop these days and it WAY too big. on it.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Still no easy multi-quote function?

Also, you would think highlighting an ignored user's post in GIANT red is counterproductive to ignoring them, no?

Overall I can deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

On my laptop it only changes ARFCOM.

Every other browser tab I open is normal size meaning what I have it set on before.

I keep it a little larger than some so I don't have to use reading glasses.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Not to join the dogpile too much, but I strongly agree with the complaints regarding too much empty/wasted space when viewing on a PC.  It makes scrolling through threads a chore and aesthetically appears very fragmented.

Also, I think that the "sticky bar" should be able to be customized with different links from the "forum tools" drop down and links to different forums. As it is right now, it takes more clicks to reach subscriptions than it did before. Being able to access pages of our choosing with a single click would be much more useful than seeing a persistent icon/link to Gunstruction and the ARFcom store, both of which, I assume, most people rarely want/need to access quickly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

BigDozer66

I'm using Firefox 50.0.2 the newest version.

I am going to try Chrome and see since some say it changes on there.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks new and spiffy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:

Being a life member, I had a early look around of the beta version. I didn't comment then, but I will now.

Dog1 nailed it. SUCKS

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snakeman48:
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Having had spent some more time with the new site, I will repeat my earlier post.

SUCKS!

Looks like a 3 year old with a box of crayolas and some poster board did it.

Change it back or at least make it so the old site is available.

Honestly I don't know why you guys screwed with it. It worked fine.

Dog1 nailed it. SUCKS

Most websites have a mobile version that is formatted for those of us, including myself, who use smart phones.  Was this too expensive?   I don't like the changes overall, they make it a serious chore to use on a laptop.  Even after playing with the font sizes for an hour I still can't find a comfortable balance.  

It worked just fine before.  Why not just add in a redirect for a mobile version???
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
how does one reset the mobile view on an iphone.

i went to desktop mode but can't get back to mobile mode.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FiremanFrank] [#29]
I see some like this new, wretched format and many don't.  How about a poll so you can get a better feedback on it?

Stuff like this when you go to the latest post in a subscribed thread is pretty annoying.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow... I like it!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stfm] [#31]
Cannot find some of the forum's  Does  (general  discussion) GD  still exists.

if so could someone post a link  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I have to enlarge the screen to read the text.  By the time it's large enough for me to read, the stupid left frame with the user info and avatar takes up 1/4 of my screen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Something is wrong with SOME of the larger threads.

E.G.  The redhead thread in BOTD, when I click on my green arrow, I get "page 21 of 11 "

here.

Same thing happens on SOME of the other larger threads.

I want my page 12 thru 21 back. There are lots of 'stolen souls' on those pages.!!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#34]
This is horrible.  where is this seasons thread  the walking dead. I could deal with losing  fear of the walking dead.

but not season seven of the walking dead.  please link
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#35]
It sucks.  It looks like the kindergarten version of arfcom.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#36]
The EE is totally screwed up..

I can't find the sections like before......Winning
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By stfm:
This is horrible.  where is this seasons thread  the walking dead. I could deal with losing  fear of the walking dead.

but not season seven of the walking dead.  please link
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1905969_Official--The-Walking-Dead-Season-7-Discussion-Thread-See-Spoiler-Warning-in-OP.html#

@stfm
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]

The size doesn't bother me, however, I changed the size and it impacted all tabs. Running Chrome. Did this in Windows 10, Windows 7, Kubuntu (Linux).
View All Quotes

I am running Windows 10, Chrome (on this post) and it only change the size of ARFCOM not the other 5 or 6 tabs I checked.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I love it!

One suggestion:  When I am typing a response, and I click "END" on my keyboard to go to the end of the line, it acts as "PAGE DOWN".

Can you make it so clicking END takes me to the end of the line?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm using Firefox 50.0.2 the newest version.

I am going to try Chrome and see since some say it changes on there.
View Quote

Ok. I'm going to FF and see what happens (in linux).
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I see the page numbering issue has not been fixed - ie, sometimes when you click the green arrow, it takes you to one page before the last page - but doesn't give you an option to go to the actual last page, b/c it doesn't show it.  You have to manually change the page number in the URL to access the actual last post.  This has been a persistent problem for some time, and I would have expected that to be taken care of in the redesign.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:

Something is wrong with SOME of the larger threads.

E.G.  The redhead thread in BOTD, when I click on my green arrow, I get "page 21 of 11 "

here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn58uzk315ztn12/redhead%20thread.PNG?dl=0

Same thing happens on SOME of the other larger threads.

I want my page 12 thru 21 back. There are lots of 'stolen souls' on those pages.!!!
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/143611/redhead-thread-96338.JPG
View Quote

Well that is happening to me also.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#43]
A minor suggestion, but it would be cool if there was a "mention" button in the vicinity of the avatar/user info area that you could click on which would copy the person's user name with an "@" symbol to your clipboard for posting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#44]

This link brings me to the page with all the other  thread listings

politics, armory, so on not the actual threat or general discussion for that matter
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#45]
For the folks who have issues with size on PCs and laptops, does control - (minus) or control + (plus) help you or does it only resize your font?
View Quote

Furthermore, doing this will change the size of EVERYTHING on the page. Sure, it makes the general interface smaller so I can see more on my screen, but it makes EVERYTHING else smaller to the point where the text is unreadable.

The SCALE must change, not simply the overall size.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I'm in FF now and by default it's noticeably smaller than Chrome. Additionally, when I change size using cntrl - or +, it changes only the size of the tab I'm in with FF. Changes all tabs in Chrome. Crazy. Wish someone would elaborate on the comment how it looks like crap on laptops / desktops. Considering only the look, it looks great on three laptops of 13", 15, 17".
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I  can't see my user control panel/messages/red exclaimation of death or the tool icon. I could this morning but can't now,any idea how to make this suck less?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I'm in FF (50.0.2) now and by default it's noticeably smaller than Chrome. Additionally, when I change size using cntrl - or +, it changes only the size of the tab I'm in with FF. Changes all tabs in Chrome. Crazy. Wish someone would elaborate on the comment how it looks like crap on laptops / desktops. Considering only the look, it looks great on three laptops of 13", 15, 17".
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Furthermore, doing this will change the size of EVERYTHING on the page. Sure, it makes the general interface smaller so I can see more on my screen, but it makes EVERYTHING else smaller to the point where the text is unreadable.

The SCALE must change, not simply the overall size.
View Quote

I know. Just trying to find a simple work around for those who have issue with it. FYI. Doing no manipulations, I find it noticeably smaller in FF than Chrome though it's slower for me in FF.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By METT-T:
Appears to have improved mobile device readability at a dramatic cost to laptop/desktop users. Really unpleasant.
View Quote
This x 87 and the mobile site is slow as fuck because of all the new crap. 
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top