Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:45:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#1]
I haven't been posting much since I'm so busy at work.

Put up a 420# squat last not at 215# bodyweight.   That's my best strength to weight squat ever. So close to 2x bodyweight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Still broken.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
One more!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Put up a 420# squat last not at 215# bodyweight.   That's my best strength to weight squat ever. So close to 2x bodyweight.
View Quote

That’s awesome!

I was in that neighborhood for squats about a year ago, but my ratio sucked because I was weighing in between 270 and 280. Down to 248 right now but I have no idea how high I can drive the weight on the bar without getting that big again. I want to get down to 225 or so.

Good to see you back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
146.5lbs for 3 ohp. Only brought it back down to about my mouth but I'll take it. Feeling really strong today, too bad I only had time for the main lift.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
378.5lbs deadlift. First time I did a 1+ set without straps since I hurt my hand, I got it almost to lockout before my grip started to fail and it started to come out of my hand. That's going to present a problem at the meet. I tested both hands with my captains of crush grippers, left hand had trouble with the T and only got the .5 about half way, right hand got the 1.5 about half way. I'm going to have to use the grippers a couple times a week to try to build that hand back up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
378.5lbs deadlift. First time I did a 1+ set without straps since I hurt my hand, I got it almost to lockout before my grip started to fail and it started to come out of my hand. That's going to present a problem at the meet. I tested both hands with my captains of crush grippers, left hand had trouble with the T and only got the .5 about half way, right hand got the 1.5 about half way. I'm going to have to use the grippers a couple times a week to try to build that hand back up.
View Quote

Are you using a regular overhand grip for your top set?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I only use a double overhand grip. Mix grip feels weird.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I only use a double overhand grip. Mix grip feels weird.
View Quote

You get used to it. You kinda have to because your grip can’t hold a limit weight. Your brain won’t let you pull what your hands can’t hold.

I got over the weirdness when the bar felt locked into my hands and I stopped missing reps on limit sets.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Bench yesterday was 207lbs for 2. I definitely tweaked my left tricep when I failed 225lbs, still doesn't feel right. 350.5lbs for 4 squats today. I tried mixed grip deadlift for a set of 10 each way and left hand under right hand over was less awkward but I still prefer double over.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#11]
Bench yesterday was 207lbs for 2. I definitely tweaked my left tricep when I failed 225lbs, still doesn't feel right. 350.5lbs for 4 squats today. I tried mixed grip deadlift for a set of 10 each way and left hand under right hand over was less awkward but I still prefer double over.
View Quote

Another who prefers double over.

One other thing to consider: folks may not be aware of it, but more bicep tears occur with a supinated/underhand grip on heavy deadlifts, than with any other activity. *** technique plays a role, but how good are you at maintaining technique/form when pushing your limits? It's rare to ever see a bicep rupture with double overhand deadlifts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8237209/
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Have you tried hook grip?

I hate it. But many who don’t want to do mixed grip swear by it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By grady:

Have you tried hook grip?

I hate it. But many who don’t want to do mixed grip swear by it.
View Quote

I've never tried hook grip. I deload next week. On the 3s week next cycle the top set is 367.5lbs I'll wrap my wrists tight to keep my hands from opening and see how much of an impact that makes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]

That’s awesome!

I was in that neighborhood for squats about a year ago, but my ratio sucked because I was weighing in between 270 and 280. Down to 248 right now but I have no idea how high I can drive the weight on the bar without getting that big again. I want to get down to 225 or so.

Good to see you back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s awesome!

Good to see you back.

Hell of a weight loss.  My wife lost 40#s and started lifting. I'm super proud of her.  She looks amazing and feels so much better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Another who prefers double over.

One other thing to consider: folks may not be aware of it, but more bicep tears occur with a supinated/underhand grip on heavy deadlifts, than with any other activity. *** technique plays a role, but how good are you at maintaining technique/form when pushing your limits? It's rare to ever see a bicep rupture with double overhand deadlifts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8237209/
View Quote

I only do double over. If I can't do it i put straps on. But I can go up to well over 450 without straps.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]

I've never tried hook grip. I deload next week. On the 3s week next cycle the top set is 367.5lbs I'll wrap my wrists tight to keep my hands from opening and see how much of an impact that makes.
View Quote

It works. But hurts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Hell of a weight loss.  My wife lost 40#s and started lifting. I'm super proud of her.  She looks amazing and feels so much better.
View All Quotes

That’s awesome!

Good to see you back.

I was only 180ish when I jumped into this thread in 2018. I’d made up my mind to just get fucking big and strong and wasn’t going to worry about a six pack that I’m not genetically disposed to ever have. I think I got pretty damn strong for an old guy before life fucked with me in the past year.

But, while I like being large, 280 wasn’t comfortable. If I get down to 225, my lifts will not be as high as they were last year. But I’ll be better off at that weight while  leaning out than at the same weight when I was struggling to get bigger.

It’s a long journey.

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Now I'm just being stupid. Back ached for days.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, the 367.5lbs deadlift didn't try to come out of my hand with my wrists wrapped tight but I only got 1 not 3 and I hurt my thumb at work last night that I just made worse doing that. If I hadn't already paid to do the meet I'd bail on it. I've had nothing but bull shit and problems since I signed up for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Couldn't unrack my top set of bench, 200.5lbs. That was weird.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Thor:
Now I'm just being stupid. Back ached for days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/IMG_9806-3001592.jpg
View Quote

I believe they call that the Unites States Deficit Deadlift.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I keep running out of time and having to just do the main lift and skipping the BBB and accessory lifts and it shows. My amraps are garbage and when I do get to the BBB sets they kick my ass way more than they were when I did them consistently. Deadlifts tonight were horrible.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#23]
151lbs ohp. I wasn't going to get it strict but I push pressed it, tried for a second but it wouldn't go.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Failed 388 lbs on deadlift even with straps. My goal had been to total at least 1050lbs but was hoping closer to 1100lbs, I doubt that I'll make the 1000lbs club on the day.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Failed 388 lbs on deadlift even with straps. My goal had been to total at least 1050lbs but was hoping closer to 1100lbs, I doubt that I'll make the 1000lbs club on the day.
View Quote

Are you eating enough?
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Are you eating enough?
View Quote

Roughly around what I've been eating for months.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#27]
212lbs for 3 bench. Of course I ran out of time and didn't do anything else even though I was feeling really strong this morning.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Are you eating enough?

Well if you are gaining muscle mass (which should be an assumption to be made if you are lifting progressively more weight), then wouldn't it stand to reason that you should be feeding those increasingly-growing muscles more nutrients in the form of more grub?
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

Well if you are gaining muscle mass (which should be an assumption to be made if you are lifting progressively more weight), then wouldn't it stand to reason that you should be feeding those increasingly-growing muscles more nutrients in the form of more grub?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

Are you eating enough?

Yep.

Gotta pump up the food intake.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Yep.

View Quote

I can't afford to eat more. I can't even afford what I'm eating now and about half my calories come from milk.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#31]

I can't afford to eat more. I can't even afford what I'm eating now and about half my calories come from milk.
View All Quotes

Yep.

Sucks, man. Sorry.

FWIW, whenever I’m trying to find cheap, clean calories, shitloads of eggs and tuna go a really long way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
360lbs for 4 squats. I'm not sure if I got deep enough and I didn't video it though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Finally got though my first 531 cycle since trying to get back on track.

DL; 435
Squat: 340
Bench: 290
Press: 170

Gaining.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Must be I'm not the only one not working out much.

I listed a clean Airdyne for sale last week for $150 and figured it would be gone in a day or two, haven't even gotten a bite.

Last year it wouldn't have made it 24 hours.

I don't need the money fast or anything, I just really never use it because I can't stand sitting on a bike seat. I should check to see if there's any bars or bumpers that have been sitting unsold for awhile, might be able to get a deal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Caught a cold last week, still sick. I barely got the 5 set on ohp this morning, couldn't get the 3 set to budge. I'm supposed to email the meet director my openers and I'm going to have to go lighter than I wanted.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarcese] [#36]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

I listed a clean Airdyne for sale last week for $150 and figured it would be gone in a day or two, haven't even gotten a bite.

I don't need the money fast or anything, I just really never use it because I can't stand sitting on a bike seat. I should check to see if there's any bars or bumpers that have been sitting unsold for awhile, might be able to get a deal.
View Quote

Still plugging away here trying to get through a 12 week bodybuilding routine and then maybe back to 5/3/1 after that.  Going to join a gym tomorrow for a month since I have the rest of the year off and need to get out of the house daily for sanity.

I checked Craigslist after your post.  Found a solid looking GHD in RI for $50.  Might make a short trip to grab a piece I've wanted to add for a while.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Caught a cold last week, still sick. I barely got the 5 set on ohp this morning, couldn't get the 3 set to budge. I'm supposed to email the meet director my openers and I'm going to have to go lighter than I wanted.
View Quote

Every single person I know has the same cold/cough.  I took a full rest week last week because I couldn't do shit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

Every single person I know has the same cold/cough.  I took a full rest week last week because I couldn't do shit.
View Quote

Girl at work that gave it to me has had it almost a month and still hasn't fully kicked it. At least I didn't get it as bad as her, it really kicked her ass for over a week. Sucks because I was feeling really strong week before last and then got sick last week.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Still plugging away here trying to get through a 12 week bodybuilding routine and then maybe back to 5/3/1 after that.  Going to join a gym tomorrow for a month since I have the rest of the year off and need to get out of the house daily for sanity.

I checked Craigslist after your post.  Found a solid looking GHD in RI for $50.  Might make a short trip to grab a piece I've wanted to add for a while.
View All Quotes

Are those things worth having?  I know there isn't much for bodyweight exercises on the glutes and hams, but it seems like a huge piece of equipment for a single use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarcese] [#41]

Are those things worth having?  I know there isn't much for bodyweight exercises on the glutes and hams, but it seems like a huge piece of equipment for a single use.
View All Quotes

I don't know if they're worth the space considering the price also, they're $400 and up.  Everyone seems to love them.  Never tried one myself though.

Probably similar to a good morning, but I'd like to get similar work in without loading my back for every exercise.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
405lbs for 2 deadlift and I didn't bring out the stand to video it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#43]
405lbs for 2 deadlift and I didn't bring out the stand to video it.
View Quote

Nice man.  About time you posted some good news.

How many weeks until your comp?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Week and a half. This is my last heavy week of prep, next week I deload into the comp.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Week and a half. This is my last heavy week of prep, next week I deload into the comp.
View All Quotes

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks. I'm going to need it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#47]
216.5lbs for 2 on bench. The left tricep is still an issue, second one was a real grinder, I could feel my left side of my back and my right hamstring locking up. Should hopefully hit 225 at the meet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#48]
370lbs for 3 squats with questionable depth. I'm still sore from deadlift Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Anybody else have issues with myprotein whey isolate? It seems like every other bag that I get will just stick to the top of the blender bottle no matter how much I shake it and I have to scrape it with a paper towel into the milk and shake it again.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#50]

I was only 180ish when I jumped into this thread in 2018. I’d made up my mind to just get fucking big and strong and wasn’t going to worry about a six pack that I’m not genetically disposed to ever have. I think I got pretty damn strong for an old guy before life fucked with me in the past year.

But, while I like being large, 280 wasn’t comfortable. If I get down to 225, my lifts will not be as high as they were last year. But I’ll be better off at that weight while  leaning out than at the same weight when I was struggling to get bigger.

It’s a long journey.

View All Quotes

That’s awesome!

Good to see you back.

It’s a long journey.

I didn't realize you gained that much. Wow
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top