BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thor:
Now I'm just being stupid. Back ached for days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/IMG_9806-3001592.jpg
View Quote

Was that 500? I do those every once in a while too but don't think I go over 365
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:

I can't afford to eat more. I can't even afford what I'm eating now and about half my calories come from milk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grady:

Yep.

Gotta pump up the food intake.

I can't afford to eat more. I can't even afford what I'm eating now and about half my calories come from milk.

Try chicken thighs 1.99-2.99/lbs around here
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks. I'm going to need it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm going to need it.

Where is it?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
495x6 last night

My neighbor has a meet in Salem next month. I wasn't going to do it but now I'm having second thoughts.

With my rare leg days I'm still squatting 405 for 2-3 and I can usually bench 315 for a triple. I wish I was just a few pounds lighter.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
495x6 last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoTUwe_aMA

My neighbor has a meet in Salem next month. I wasn't going to do it but now I'm having second thoughts.

With my rare leg days I'm still squatting 405 for 2-3 and I can usually bench 315 for a triple. I wish I was just a few pounds lighter.
View Quote

The calculator in the 531 app puts you just under 600 for a 1rm. Do the meet, you know you want to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]

The calculator in the 531 app puts you just under 600 for a 1rm. Do the meet, you know you want to.
View All Quotes
495x6 last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoTUwe_aMA

I lifted with my neighbor this morning.

After I got home he sent me this
"The guy that won the 100kg raw open class last year at this event has a 567, 319, 523.
You'd get him in the bench and dl."
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Meet just finished. I got a 405 squat, a 195 bench (failed 225) and a 405 deadlift. There was still a little in the tank for the squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]

I lifted with my neighbor this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMDI0Tq7ek
After I got home he sent me this
"The guy that won the 100kg raw open class last year at this event has a 567, 319, 523.
You'd get him in the bench and dl."
View Quote

Now you have to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Meet just finished. I got a 405 squat, a 195 bench (failed 225) and a 405 deadlift. There was still a little in the tank for the squat and deadlift.
View Quote

This was your first one right?

Good job.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]

This was your first one right?

Good job.
View Quote

Thanks. It was my first one. It was fun and everyone was super nice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
aye...you guys still post in here
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished my latest cycle and it appears as though I hit my year-end goal of 1000# total on the big 3.

Estimated 1 RM based on my app:

Bench 321
Deadlift 400
Squat 318
OHP 164

I know the squat is lagging, but I keep getting left knee pain when I start to lift heavier. I'm trying some of the knees over toes exercises to try to strengthen my knees. I don't know what else to do. It's frustrating.

I'm 43, 5'9" 227#.

Setting up a home gym this year has been the best investment I've made. There is no excuse for missing workouts now. I definitely feel much better and seem to be in better shape than most others I see in my area that are my age.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dawg69:
I just finished my latest cycle and it appears as though I hit my year-end goal of 1000# total on the big 3.

Bench 321
Deadlift 400
Squat 318
OHP 164

I know the squat is lagging, but I keep getting left knee pain when I start to lift heavier. I'm trying some of the knees over toes exercises to try to strengthen my knees. I don't know what else to do. It's frustrating.

I'm 43, 5'9" 227#.

Setting up a home gym this year has been the best investment I've made. There is no excuse for missing workouts now. I definitely feel much better and seem to be in better shape than most others I see in my area that are my age.
View Quote

good on ya, mate! Any progress is good progress.  

Don't fret too much, most of us have one lift that usually isn't up to snuff with the others.  I wouldn't even say your squat is that bad, considering your deadlift is 400.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Just checking in. Started back in September, with machines, and worked up to bar.  Had surgery in July, was back in Hospital after complications in August. Doing 5/3/1 beginner, and using the 5/3/1 android app. Just started 2nd cycle. Keeps me honest.

Numbers are nothing to brag about, but it's been years since I've seriously trained. Down to about 262 lbs, losing about a lb a week, at 6'3".

My maxes according to the app are 284 dl / 187 bench / 265 squat, 111 seated OHP, because ceiling.

Just got some adjustable dumbells  ( the cheap kind with the spin locks ) and a handle for T bar rows and face pulls, which I like.

Funny story. My gym is in a converted carport. I have an AC unit that faces the squat rack, and it's on energy saver for the winter. Anyway, I had just unracked like, 190 for squats, and the thing kicked on, and I got a face full of SRS Krunk. I was like, WTF?

So, I do my reps and I am livid. I finally look out my window, and my neighbor is pulling on a cheech on his front patio. Massive clouds. Took a few minutes, then after I got out of the gym, I just started laughing about it.

Working on getting 10K steps in at work. Up to about 5 to 6 K so far.

All good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:

Don't fret too much, most of us have one lift that usually isn't up to snuff with the others.  I wouldn't even say your squat is that bad, considering your deadlift is 400.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flashover343:
Originally Posted By dawg69:

Bench 321
Deadlift 400
Squat 318
OHP 164

I'm 43, 5'9" 227#.

This.

Your squat’s not behind. Your bench is way ahead of your other lifts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Started a 12 week cut today at a dehydrated 230lbs. Once I get over being sick I'm going to just do some bullshit bodybuilding while I cut, work up to what I can do for multiple sets of 10 on the main lift and multiple sets of 10 to 15 on accessories. I'll hop back on to 5/3/1 when I finish cutting. Hoping to lean out some and hopefully not lose to much muscle in the process. I know I'll lose some top end strength but it shouldn't take too long to get it back.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#17]
I bought one of these things. Had an Amazon card so I ordered the TItan version instead of the Rogue version (I wanted the small grip rogue version instead, but they don't sell on Amazon).

It's pretty brutal. I've fought with barbell rows for years (even excluded them many times). They are great, but my hamstrings and glutes get most of the work out of them. Using the landmine really lets you focus on your upper back.

I did sets of 8 yesterday and my back is sore today, it did the job.

I really like that you can get a full range of motion with full sized plates. My previous handle didn't allow that, it was too short.

I have small hands though which is the only issue, so I might cut the fat grips off and weld on something smaller.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Merry Christmas, all!

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey dudes, I've been following this thread off and on for a while now but I've never really had anything worthwhile to post.  I hit some significant strength benchmarks this last weekend so I figured I'd post up here and get in on the scene.

I'm 42, 5'7", currently 155#.  I've been working out and lifting weights for pretty much my entire adult life but I've never really trained for maximum strength before this year.  Being a smaller guy, and ultimately being more concerned with agility and overall athleticism over raw strength, I always knew that I wasn't going to put up any big numbers.
But early this spring I decided to clean up my diet, get consistent in the gym, and work on strength for a while.  I was 140# at the time and I didn't *think* that the 1/2/3/4-plate OHP/bench/squat/DL goal was going to be reasonably attainable so I set a goal using multipliers of my bodyweight.  1x/1.5x/2x/2.5x OHP/bench/squat/DL.
In September I made my first PR attempts at 150# bodyweight.  I nailed the strict OHP but came up just slightly short on the other lifts.  

Christmas weekend I tried again at 155# and nailed the bench (235#) and deadlift (390#).  I didn't try the OHP again due to a minor shoulder issue that I'm letting heal, but I'm confident that I can still do that one based on the reps I was doing a couple weeks ago.  I attempted and completed a 315# squat but when I looked at the video I saw that my thighs didn't quite make it parallel so I'm not counting that one.  Tried again with the safety bars lower and failed.  So I need to work on my squat depth.

I'm very happy with these results.  I've never gotten a 2-plate bench before though I've tried to get there a few separate times.  Now I see that the 1/2/3/4 plate bro benchmark is attainable for me.  I've already gotten the 1-plate OHP and 2-plate bench.  I'm only slightly down from the 3-plate squat and 4-plate deadlift.  That'll be the next goal.  

I've been using the Mind Pump MAPS 15 advanced program (plus some extra stuff that I add in here and there) since the spring and I've run through it twice with big strength increases both times.  I was skeptical about how effective it was going to be but I guess they have the programming dialed in well because my results have been great.  I'm gonna run through the program again while making some changes to the plan such as substituting sumo deadlifts for conventional, Arnold press for barbell shoulder press, etc., and squatting a good bit deeper than I have been.  I figure that will introduce some novelty that will help out.

Full disclosure:  This spring when I got started on this program I also started TRT to correct clinically low testosterone levels.  This was causing me no physical symptoms but considerable mental problems (depression, malaise, lack of mental clarity, etc. All very uncharacteristic for me).  In my case it seems like a really weird bout with the ermagerd variant in late '21 screwed up my endocrine system (I'm unvaxxed).  So I guess I'm not natty any more.  The TRT has undoubtedly helped me build muscle and strength, though I also made some serious lifestyle changes at the time I got on it.  Started eating really clean, prioritizing sleep, cutting out most alcohol, and getting really consistent in the gym.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TheRadBaron:
Hey dudes, I've been following this thread off and on for a while now but I've never really had anything worthwhile to post.  I hit some significant strength benchmarks this last weekend so I figured I'd post up here and get in on the scene.

I'm 42, 5'7", currently 155#.  I've been working out and lifting weights for pretty much my entire adult life but I've never really trained for maximum strength before this year.  Being a smaller guy, and ultimately being more concerned with agility and overall athleticism over raw strength, I always knew that I wasn't going to put up any big numbers.
But early this spring I decided to clean up my diet, get consistent in the gym, and work on strength for a while.  I was 140# at the time and I didn't *think* that the 1/2/3/4-plate OHP/bench/squat/DL goal was going to be reasonably attainable so I set a goal using multipliers of my bodyweight.  1x/1.5x/2x/2.5x OHP/bench/squat/DL.
In September I made my first PR attempts at 150# bodyweight.  I nailed the strict OHP but came up just slightly short on the other lifts.  

Christmas weekend I tried again at 155# and nailed the bench (235#) and deadlift (390#).  I didn't try the OHP again due to a minor shoulder issue that I'm letting heal, but I'm confident that I can still do that one based on the reps I was doing a couple weeks ago.  I attempted and completed a 315# squat but when I looked at the video I saw that my thighs didn't quite make it parallel so I'm not counting that one.  Tried again with the safety bars lower and failed.  So I need to work on my squat depth.

I'm very happy with these results.  I've never gotten a 2-plate bench before though I've tried to get there a few separate times.  Now I see that the 1/2/3/4 plate bro benchmark is attainable for me.  I've already gotten the 1-plate OHP and 2-plate bench.  I'm only slightly down from the 3-plate squat and 4-plate deadlift.  That'll be the next goal.  

I've been using the Mind Pump MAPS 15 advanced program (plus some extra stuff that I add in here and there) since the spring and I've run through it twice with big strength increases both times.  I was skeptical about how effective it was going to be but I guess they have the programming dialed in well because my results have been great.  I'm gonna run through the program again while making some changes to the plan such as substituting sumo deadlifts for conventional, Arnold press for barbell shoulder press, etc., and squatting a good bit deeper than I have been.  I figure that will introduce some novelty that will help out.

Full disclosure:  This spring when I got started on this program I also started TRT to correct clinically low testosterone levels.  This was causing me no physical symptoms but considerable mental problems (depression, malaise, lack of mental clarity, etc. All very uncharacteristic for me).  In my case it seems like a really weird bout with the ermagerd variant in late '21 screwed up my endocrine system (I'm unvaxxed).  So I guess I'm not natty any more.  The TRT has undoubtedly helped me build muscle and strength, though I also made some serious lifestyle changes at the time I got on it.  Started eating really clean, prioritizing sleep, cutting out most alcohol, and getting really consistent in the gym.
View Quote

Nice work!

Add some body weight and you’ll be shifting your benchmarks to 2/3/4/5 in no time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Finished another 531 cycle and still creeping in the right direction.

Deadlift: 455x1
Squat: 360x2
Bench: 300x3
Press: 177.5x1

Now enjoying deload week. Not feeling as beat up as the last couple times running things up, but deloading still feels darn good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#22]
First time lifting since the meet a month ago. I've definitely lost strength between the time off and the shoulder injury. Also fuck this high rep bullshit that I decided to do while I cut.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Last squat session of Savage Size bodybuilding.  First single I've done since the summer.  Would be a PR if I could get my arms behind a straight bar.  Probably could get 475 right now for a true max.  Highly recommend that program.  Did a lot of shit I've been neglecting and it paid off.  Tried to video my set 1 rep but my phone fell over

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:52:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#24]

…Tried to video my set 1 rep but my phone fell over

View Quote

C’mon, man! Shoulda just set that phone up again and hit that big single one more time for the video. No big deal, right?

Seriously, nice job. That’s a solid squat, particularly with the volume you did building up to it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Last squat session of Savage Size bodybuilding.  First single I've done since the summer.  Would be a PR if I could get my arms behind a straight bar.  Probably could get 475 right now for a true max.  Highly recommend that program.  Did a lot of shit I've been neglecting and it paid off.  Tried to video my set 1 rep but my phone fell over

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20240116-170804_Boostcamp_jpg-3096986.JPG
View Quote

Good job

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I benched tonight because I left my belt at home but it worked out pretty well. Managed 275x9 and then stayed up there for another 4 work sets. Then I dropped down and got 225x15.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#27]
10 years older, just starting to get back to it.  Not near as strong as I was at 25 but getting there.

315 x 5 close grip @ 190lbs

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I just ran for the first time since before I hurt my foot years ago. Switching to barefoot shoes really helped with that I think. .31 miles in 2:43 minutes for a pace of 8:47 min/mil.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
10 years older, just starting to get back to it.  Not near as strong as I was at 25 but getting there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwScbfxBzDI

View Quote

That was super smooth.

Started Candito 6 Week.  Got the dreaded bug going around after day 1.  Already lost 5+ pounds from not eating or drinking water.  Off to a great start.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#30]

That was super smooth.

Started Candito 6 Week.  Got the dreaded bug going around after day 1.  Already lost 5+ pounds from not eating or drinking water.  Off to a great start.
View Quote

I had that last week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:03:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#31]
Added front squats to my assistant lifts. Never done them before.

Holy shit, they’re awkward! I could barely keep the bar on my shoulders, wrists hurt, felt like I was going to fall over.

Been as high as mid-400s on back squats and currently working around 370, but I felt like an incapable retard at 135 for front squats. Even at that weight, I feel like my quads got smoked.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Added front squats to my assistant lifts. Never done them before.

Holy shit, they’re awkward! I could barely keep the bar on my shoulders, wrists hurst, felt like I was going to fall over.

Been as high as mid-400s on back squats and currently working around 370, but I felt like an incapable retard at 135 for front squats. Even at that weight, I feel like my quads got smoked.
View Quote

Try the wrist wrap method.  You choke the wraps on the bar then one wrap around your hands.  Hold above the bar like you're about to throw a hammer fist.  I've found that to be the most comfortable way to do it.  Like this but you can actually take a wrap on your hand to get more control.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Try the wrist wrap method.  You choke the wraps on the bar then one wrap around your hands.  Hold above the bar like you're about to throw a hammer fist.  I've found that to be the most comfortable way to do it.  Like this but you can actually take a wrap on your hand to get more control.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Bottom_Position_jpg-3114287.JPG
View Quote

Thanks. Until I get the rack position right, I’ll probably have to do that for a while.

I also found this Alan Thrall video where he talks about ways to get that rack position and he suggests the strap method, too.

How to FRONT SQUAT with poor mobility
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Went for maxes this week. 115lbs for 2 doubles push press, 365lbs for a single deadlift, 185lbs for 2 singles bench and 335lbs for a single on squats. Bodyweight was down to 215lbs as of Monday, I haven't been training consistently (today was the first time I've squatted since the meet a month and a half ago) and I've been sick more often than not since Thanksgiving. After I finish the cut and go back to doing 531 I should get back to my old numbers within a few months, hopefully anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Finished the hard part of the infamous week 2 in Candito.  I usually don't sweat while lifting, but I did last night.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Finished the hard part of the infamous week 2 in Candito.  I usually don't sweat while lifting, but I did last night.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20240210-185759_Boostcamp_jpg-3125439.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20240210-185747_Boostcamp_jpg-3125441.JPG
View Quote

Damn dude. Nice job.

That much volume on squats would wreck my old ass for the week.

I just now finished 340x5 for the week-1 top set for 531. That’s it.  Punching the clock for squats.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Damn dude. Nice job.

I just now finished 340x5 for the week-1 top set for 531. That’s it.  Punching the clock for squats.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20240210-185759_Boostcamp_jpg-3125439.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20240210-185747_Boostcamp_jpg-3125441.JPG

Damn dude. Nice job.

Thanks, I'll be 42 this year.  Honestly, every workout takes a lot of mental trickery to get myself to do it.  I told myself if I had hit the top set, I'd do 5 triples.  Then I got to 5 trips and said fuck it, we're doing 5 more.  I tossed and turned all night with throbbing knees, but I'm good now.  Forgot I had Motrin 800s in the cabinet
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Are you still having trouble with the front rack position?

This is the best video I found when I was doing them, and it helped me actually do it correctly. Going from the bottom up when loading it just makes too much sense.

Front Rack Mobilty | Quinn Henoch | JTSstrength.com

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Jesus what a month.

I finally got under a bar today again after several weeks.

Hurt my back at work and had to nurse that for a week....then I immediately got a stomach bug that I'm still kind of recovering from, sicker than hell with no appetite for days.

I squatted my bodyweight for 3x5, then did rows and pushups for 15 minutes and felt pretty smoked. Hopefully my work capacity recovers soon, my stomach shrank or something so I'm having a hard time getting enough food in the last few days.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

This is the best video I found when I was doing them, and it helped me actually do it correctly. Going from the bottom up when loading it just makes too much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLrAbTpjUg

View Quote

I’m getting better at it. I can keep three fingers on the bar and it feels comfortable enough that I’ve been able to add some weight.

I’ll try what they show in the video. Makes sense. But, I’ve got some monkey forearms so I don’t know that I’ll be able to get a full grip on it. My front press start position is above my chin.

Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#41]

I’m getting better at it. I can keep three fingers on the bar and it feels comfortable enough that I’ve been able to add some weight.

I’ll try what they show in the video. Makes sense. But, I’ve got some monkey forearms so I don’t know that I’ll be able to get a full grip on it. My front press start position is above my chin.

Thanks for sharing that.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLrAbTpjUg

Thanks for sharing that.

I sucked at front squats, but ran them for a winter a few years ago.

When i went back to back squatting I felt like I was in cheat mode, they really helped with my set up and positioning through the movement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Between cutting weight and being sick most of the winter and not lifting I've gotten so weak. Starting to run a 5x5 this week to try to get the strength up a little. Still have a few weeks left on the cut, probably won't see much improvement until that's finished.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Between cutting weight and being sick most of the winter and not lifting I've gotten so weak. Starting to run a 5x5 this week to try to get the strength up a little. Still have a few weeks left on the cut, probably won't see much improvement until that's finished.
View Quote

You might want to think about trying a different program once you get back up to speed.  Doing 3 months of bodybuilding type work was a nice break for me and it made a huge difference in my consistency and powerlifting.  Going into the gym(basement) and lifting weights at your top end every session for years sucks and ends up demoralizing you.   It's a lot easier to get a workout in when you feel like crap with lighter weights, which is almost always for me.

Also, maybe picking an RPE based program would be helpful.  Trying to hit prescribed numbers for years straight also sucks and is not sustainable.  531 is great, but doing it forever isn't a great strategy.  Just speaking from experience, not trying to coach.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:22:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MAbowhunter] [#44]

You might want to think about trying a different program once you get back up to speed.  Doing 3 months of bodybuilding type work was a nice break for me and it made a huge difference in my consistency and powerlifting.  Going into the gym(basement) and lifting weights at your top end every session for years sucks and ends up demoralizing you.   It's a lot easier to get a workout in when you feel like crap with lighter weights, which is almost always for me.

Also, maybe picking an RPE based program would be helpful.  Trying to hit prescribed numbers for years straight also sucks and is not sustainable.  531 is great, but doing it forever isn't a great strategy.  Just speaking from experience, not trying to coach.
View Quote

My original plan was to do bodybuilding while I cut. It just didn't work out that way. I like moving heavier weight for less reps way more than lighter weight for a lot of reps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]

When i went back to back squatting I felt like I was in cheat mode, they really helped with my set up and positioning through the movement.
View Quote

How so? Did they end up driving up your back squat at all?

I’ve been doing the most basic 4-day split of 531 where my second lift after the main lift is a light version of another main lift. So, heavy squat followed by light deadlift. Heavy bench followed by light press.  Heavy deadlift followed by light squat. Heavy press followed by light bench. “Light” is 80% of training max. That hits every movement twice/week while still allowing recovery.

I’ve been doing that for several years but wanted to switch things up to hit things differently while still getting that same effect. So, light deadlift became chin-ups, light squat became front squat, light bench became weighted dips, and presses…well, not really a press variant there…I just swapped in barbell curls because my biceps suck.

I’m hoping the front squats will eventually help drive up the back squat and give me some more quad size. But the weights are too low right now. So, active recovery is all I’m really hoping for in the short term.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#46]

I’ve been doing the most basic 4-day split of 531 where my second lift after the main lift is a light version of another main lift. So, heavy squat followed by light deadlift. Heavy bench followed by light press.  Heavy deadlift followed by light squat. Heavy press followed by light bench. “Light” is 80% of training max. That hits every movement twice/week while still allowing recovery.

I’ve been doing that for several years but wanted to switch things up to hit things differently while still getting that same effect. So, light deadlift became chin-ups, light squat became front squat, light bench became weighted dips, and presses…well, not really a press variant there…I just swapped in barbell curls because my biceps suck.

I’m hoping the front squats will eventually help drive up the back squat and give me some more quad size. But the weights are too low right now. So, active recovery is all I’m really hoping for in the short term.
View All Quotes

I don't think they contributed to any strength gains, but I also suck with my strength cycles because of my work schedule most of the year.

I high bar squat so after front squatting for 12 weeks getting back into the high bar position just felt much more stable. I wasn't collapsing as much, and I was able to drive my shoulders into the bar much better on the way up with much less chance of going into a good morning squat.

I think it just taught me to stay rigid through the torso, because if you start to crumble on a front squat you can't hinge your way back out....you fail.

To put it into a word, they just made back squats feel "easier".
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#47]
The long road back to 500/400/300 slowly progresses.

Finishing out this cycle with DL 475x1, squat 380x1, and bench 310x2.

(Let’s not talk about presses right now, shall we?)
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#48]
I've got some programming I've been playing around with that might interest some of you guys. I've been running it since December and feeling really good so far, I want to try to run it for a full year to see just what I get out of it.

I kind of catered this to my needs because of my work schedule (patent pending...or something)

I've had good luck with greyskull, and I had really good luck aesthetically with BBB. I wanted to take some from each and still be able to do a full body workout rather than a split, because some weeks I might only get time for two workouts.

The meat and potatoes of it is Push, Pull, Squat, Hinge. Broken into two days I have Squat/Pull, Hinge/Push. One barbell exercise for each, with an antagonist BW movement to paired them. The exercises I picked set it up like this.

Day 1

Squat/Elevated Hip Thrust
Pendlay Row/Decline Pushup (I was doing dips here but started to get some shoulder pain so I changed the plane of motion to match the row)

Day 2

Deadlift/Slant Board Squat
Overhead Press/Chinup

The progression is fully auto regulated. With the exception of one top set each day, you know exactly what your sets and reps are going to be each workout.

The exercises are going to alternate between top set and volume sets each day, using the following method.

Your top sets are first. Work up to a 3x5, but AMRAP the last set. Ideally you are getting 5-8 reps, and you need to push that one hard, it's the hardest set of the day.

Once that's completed move the second barbell exercise for the day and work up to 80% of your last used 3x5 weight. So if last workout you did 200 lbs. Warm up to 180 and that's your working weight.

Then it's 5 sets with the same amount of reps as your last AMRAP. Your last AMRAP was 200x7.....so you're doing 180x7 today. I've found that it's about the right weight to make the first 3 sets reasonable, but the last two can get tough, but not unmanageable. If you can't get them all in the last set or two, rack the bar, take a few seconds, then finish them with singles, just get the reps in.

You flip flop your starting exercise each time, so you'll alternate between 3x5 and volume every workout.

If you did heavy squats last workout, you're doing heavy rows next time and volume squats, and vice versa.

After every barbell set you're going to jump right into a bodyweight set. If you just did a set of OHP, go do a set of chinups. Tracking reps doesn't matter much, just get a pump going and then rest for a bit until your next set.

Each workout you're going to be hitting your Push, Pull, Squat and Hinge that way, and sneaking in some easy volume.

Progression is easy enough. If you get 5 reps minimum on each 3x5 set. Add 5 lbs next time. If you fail to get 5 reps on any set, or your form is really taking a shit and you are grinding too hard, take a deload. Next workout roll back to the last weight you got 8 reps with on your AMRAP and work back up. You should be able to sneak in more reps and that will also drive up your volume days.

This isn't for everyone, I'm referring to it as the busy middle aged guy's program. I can't afford to train like a retard anymore without it messing up something else. Work and life are more important than trying to recover from an hour of pushing to failure or hurting my shoulder and then being fucked at work for a week.

I've been feeling really really good running this, and the "easy" volume seems to be helping my physique, especially the shoulders and traps. I'm getting back to where I was when I ran BBB, but without having to dedicate each week to 4 workouts.

Workouts have left me sweaty and breathing kind of hard, and conditioning is improving because I'm doing relatively short rest periods on the volume sets. 35-45 minutes isn't unreasonable most days. Although a few days when I was feeling a little beat I went over 50 minutes from taking longer between sets.

Maybe if you're like me this will work for you too. Middle aged, medium strength, physical job and/or long hours, and you just want to look good naked and be sort of stronger than most people you meet.

One caveat. I started low, like really low with my weights. I hurt my back this fall, and then again last month at work. Muscle related, I need to put more effort into massage during hard weeks.

My squat is only just now back to 225 at 160 lbs BW with a 300 lb target in mind. I haven't squatted over 250 in a few years, and honestly I'm not looking forward to it again. My main goal is physique most of the time, but still need to be strong enough to do my job effectively.

I want to run this for as long as it will keep me moving forward. I enjoy it and the workouts aren't beating me up, so I think I'll be able to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Aaah…deload week.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I just got a cheap dip station. Takes up way more room than I thought it would which is problematic given how little space I have. Turns out I can't do a dip with anything resembling good form. I read the tutorial on the strong lifts website and I'm going to follow that and start with negatives.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top