Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Cycling isn’t going to help you run up hills. You’ll have to run up hills and do hill repeats to get good at running hills.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Cycling isn’t going to help you run up hills. You’ll have to run up hills and do hill repeats to get good at running hills.
View Quote

Been cycling on “rest days”.  I know it won’t help with marathon training but good for my heart at least.

Saturday I Ran 5 miles at MGP and then 3 miles East run on some hills.

This morning I had the treadmill on 15 incline running/walking intervals.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
As a former competitive cyclist.

Eat carbs during the run. Suck down gels, bananas etc. much of the challenges a marathon presents can be mitigated by diet during the run.

Runners often avoid this and pay the price with a bonk.

Your prep diet sounds solid.

I would suggest backing off on that training routine. You are going to over train or get injured before May if you keep that up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
As a former competitive cyclist.

Eat carbs during the run. Suck down gels, bananas etc. much of the challenges a marathon presents can be mitigated by diet during the run.

Runners often avoid this and pay the price with a bonk.

Your prep diet sounds solid.

I would suggest backing off on that training routine. You are going to over train or get injured before May if you keep that up.
View Quote

@rattlecanar
I have stopped the 75 hard program. I finished that beginning of November.  Trying to spend some quality time with the family a bit before I start the 18 week marathon training program.

I went to a local running store and bought 5 different kind of gels I am going to try out.

Thanks for the advice !
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
@rattlecanar

While I got you on the line and your said credentials…..

I would like to do a 70.3 next year. I have a decent mountain bike. But would probably need a road bike.  I have looked at some canondales, but no way in hell am I paying $13k for a bike!

Suggestions for a newbie?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trod7308:
@rattlecanar

While I got you on the line and your said credentials…..

I would like to do a 70.3 next year. I have a decent mountain bike. But would probably need a road bike.  I have looked at some canondales, but no way in hell am I paying $13k for a bike!

Suggestions for a newbie?
View Quote

You don’t need to spend $13k. Damn dude.

How tall/heavy are you?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 5:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StillGonnaSendIt] [#7]
You should 100% seek a sports nutritionist instead of asking here. That’s my advice. Your metabolic needs will be wholly different than someone else.

And for a bike?  You want a road bike for endurance long rides or a race bike for crit or sprint events?  If just for training get a CAAD frame for $500 and slap 105 components on it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

You don’t need to spend $13k. Damn dude.

How tall/heavy are you?
View Quote

I bought my mountain bike (giant) for $800 and that was the cheapest option at the bike store. I don’t need top of the line just blowing smoke. It will be after the holidays before move on anything.

I’m 180lbs 5’9”.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Been cycling on “rest days”.  I know it won’t help with marathon training but good for my heart at least.

View Quote

If you want to work on your heart go running. Cycling isn’t going to help your running.  You should be building up your weekly mileage like I said before.

It’s your marathon cycle and your diet. Enjoy it. You get out what you put in. I just jogged about a 3:40 marathon then ran 5-6 miles the next day. Yeah I’m bragging about it too if you want to interpret it that way.  I’ve struggled enough to find out how not to struggle as much.

Enjoy the triathlon.  They’re a lot more training. Ride whatever bike you want.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:14:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#10]

If you want to work on your heart go running. Cycling isn’t going to help your running.  You should be building up your weekly mileage like I said before.

It’s your marathon cycle and your diet. Enjoy it. You get out what you put in. I just jogged about a 3:40 marathon then ran 5-6 miles the next day. Yeah I’m bragging about it too if you want to interpret it that way.  I’ve struggled enough to find out how not to struggle as much.

Enjoy the triathlon.  They’re a lot more training. Ride whatever bike you want.
View Quote

Ive been building up my weekly mileage. Targeting 30 next week.

Do you lift weights or do any other training at all, or just run?

I want to remind you before 8/24 of this year I haven’t ran more than 7 miles since 2013. And even then I had only ran 7 miles twice my entire life.  Wasn’t a high school athlete.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#11]
Ran 10 today for a total of 30 mi for the week!

I still am having a really hard time slowing down. 8:13 pace today average heart rate of 162.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Ive been building up my weekly mileage. Targeting 30 next week.

Do you lift weights or do any other training at all, or just run?

I want to remind you before 8/24 of this year I haven’t ran more than 7 miles since 2013. And even then I had only ran 7 miles twice my entire life.  Wasn’t a high school athlete.
View Quote

I’m inconsistent with weight lifting. By that I mean I don’t do it.  I won’t make time for it at O’Dark Thirty in the morning and sometimes can’t find passion for it after work. I need to start it back up. I noticed it helped with a lot of things. It’s just time/energy.

Good job on the build up. I’ve done marathons in low and high mileage. The recovery is so much better when I train great. In a former life I rode BMX bikes then moved away from it and never went back.

Just remember…marathon training sucks.  Don’t run a marathon. Trust me. I’ve run 10.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Ran 10 today for a total of 30 mi for the week!

I still am having a really hard time slowing down. 8:13 pace today average heart rate of 162.
View Quote

162 heart rate is putting in some effort FOR ME. Back it off to 8:30. Just check the pace and slow down. Maybe try 150-155 heart rate.

I like 10 mile runs. Just enough to unwind my brain and require me to focus on the run more than something else.

30 miles is a good build up. Getting to 40 will seem like another mountain.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Find some hills to train on.  I ran my first 1/2 marathon this year and it was on trails.  The hills kicked my ass.  Did a trail 25k after that and it went much better since I included hill work.  Now I'm signed up for a 50k and a 6 hour race.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:
Find some hills to train on.  I ran my first 1/2 marathon this year and it was on trails.  The hills kicked my ass.  Did a trail 25k after that and it went much better since I included hill work.  Now I'm signed up for a 50k and a 6 hour race.
View Quote

Practice eating. 6 hours is a long time to run eating gels of one flavor.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:
View Quote

Last Friday I ran a pretty decent 14 mile route that contained quite a few hills.

I think it was nice tossing them into the mix.

Strained my calf /pulled a muscle last Tuesday and have been trying to let it rest. My build up to a big hit this week due to that and trying not to let it get to me too much :/
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Last Friday I ran a pretty decent 14 mile route that contained quite a few hills.

I think it was nice tossing them into the mix.

Strained my calf /pulled a muscle last Tuesday and have been trying to let it rest. My build up to a big hit this week due to that and trying not to let it get to me too much :/
View Quote

Go run and see how bad it is for a 5 miler. Maybe you pushed too hard on those hills and you should slow down paces.

Any idea what your heart rate was during those hills?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Go run and see how bad it is for a 5 miler. Maybe you pushed too hard on those hills and you should slow down paces.

Any idea what your heart rate was during those hills?
View Quote

A friend lent me a set of cep compression calf sleeves. Wore those for a 6 mile run, last night, new pair of shoes as well.

Felt great.  

This AM tried running with my other pair of shoes, Calve started to hurt so I stopped running.  Did a short walk and did a back weightlifting workout. I think I’m turning that pair into workout shoes. They’re brooks glycerin and have 350 miles on them.

For my 14 mile hill run My heart rate was 155 average at 8:46 pace.  Calf pain didn’t come into play until I tried a 12x400 interval and tried 7:30 pace. I didn’t feel the pain until the very end and pushed through maybe .2 of a mile, which I would have just stopped.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: durtychemist] [#19]
350 miles is maybe getting close to being done, and if new shoes made the pin go away then replace them.  Also, buy a second pair of whatever you like right now.  You’ll need a second pair closer to race day.

Was it 155 average for the entire run, or 155 for the max on a 2 mile long long 8% grade? 155 average is fine, and it also ignores if you were maybe pushing 170 on the hills because you had to keep the pace at 8:15/mi. See what I’m getting at?

Don’t hurt yourself doing sprints. You have to be in race shape on race day, not before training even starts. Trust me. I just did some 200s and 400s at what I previously thought was my absolute best, and it felt amazing to run so fast with so much control over effort, stride, body body ire, and breathing knowing I could go faster if I wanted.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
350 miles is maybe getting close to being done, and if new shoes made the pin go away then replace them.  Also, buy a second pair of whatever you like right now.  You’ll need a second pair closer to race day.

Was it 155 average for the entire run, or 155 for the max on a 2 mile long long 8% grade? 155 average is fine, and it also ignores if you were maybe pushing 170 on the hills because you had to keep the pace at 8:15/mi. See what I’m getting at?

Don’t hurt yourself doing sprints. You have to be in race shape on race day, not before training even starts. Trust me. I just did some 200s and 400s at what I previously thought was my absolute best, and it felt amazing to run so fast with so much control over effort, stride, body body ire, and breathing knowing I could go faster if I wanted.
View Quote

Yup I’m retiring them to workout shoes.  They and to strong of an ankle support area anyway and started aggravating my ankle

155 for average of whole run.  2hr 2 min workout. 1:05 was at zone 3.  41mins at zone 4. 1:35seconds at zone 5.  

I ran 3 miles last night at 9:05 on treadmill.  No calf pain. Might try to take today off, and push a 8-10 miler in Friday at the track. I’ve been wearing my chest pack packed with gels to prepare for race day.

All my tread mill workouts I do at a minimum of 2% incline as I don’t want to cut my self short!

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Treadmill workouts at 2 percent is a good idea because no road you run is going to be as flat as 0% unless you’re on some RARE road.

Why were you hitting zone 4 on your run? Wasn’t it supposed to be EASY pace? You need to get this under control or else on race day you’ll go too hard and suffer later. You can get away with it in training when you’re going short. Just watch it when you’re doing a 20 miler. You’ll find out the hard way how much it sucks to blow up/hit the wall with 3 miles to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Treadmill workouts at 2 percent is a good idea because no road you run is going to be as flat as 0% unless you’re on some RARE road.

Why were you hitting zone 4 on your run? Wasn’t it supposed to be EASY pace? You need to get this under control or else on race day you’ll go too hard and suffer later. You can get away with it in training when you’re going short. Just watch it when you’re doing a 20 miler. You’ll find out the hard way how much it sucks to blow up/hit the wall with 3 miles to go.
View Quote

Ran 10 miles yesterday. Only got to zone 4 for 7 minutes due to cranking treadmill up to 15%. Got bored.

Otherwise had my HR at a nice 133-144.

18 week Hansons method starts on Sunday!  I am altering it a little bit for he first few weeks as I have surpassed the normal plan mileage build up.

Hanging around the 25 mpw until week 6.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Carb loading beforehand will wreck you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
How is the first week of speed going?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#25]
How is the first week of speed going?
View Quote

Im technically only on week 3 so I’m still at like 12 mow. But I have been running 20-30 last few weeks. I ran a 15 mile last week.  Indoor track lol 120 laps. Felt pretty good. Heart rate got a little high towards the end.

Did the 4x1200 interval yesterday.

Thinking of doing carnivore diet in February!
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Week 3 Advanced has a 12x400m workout.
Week 3 beginner has no speed.

So you’re just doing what you want instead of following the plan.  Enjoy the training. It gets fun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Week 3 Advanced has a 12x400m workout.
Week 3 beginner has no speed.

So you’re just doing what you want instead of following the plan.  Enjoy the training. It gets fun.
View Quote

This week I am going to the plan. I might add a mile or 2, like today I had an easy 3 and tan an easy 5.

I’ve been having knee issues. So I’m backing off a little, before it gets real!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Macro counting diet
Protein-150g-600cals
Carbs-270g-x4-1080cals
Fats-70g-x9-630cals

Breakfast-335cal
P-20
C-30
F-15
Snack-325cal
P-25
C-45
F-5
Lunch-520cals
P-25
C-60
F-20
Snack-325cals
P-25
C-45
F-5
Dinner-540cals
P-30
C-60
F-20
Snack-265cals
P-25
C-30
F-5

I have recently been having shin/knee pain. Had to take a break from running. I am  “supposed to be” on week 6 of Hansons method and way behind on my mileage build up.  

Prior to the plan, I was averaging 20-30 mpw.  

I got caught up in trying to lose fat and was averaging a calorie deficit of 250cals per day.   I was also IF 16-8, also a few 24hr fasts in there as well.  I am kind of convinced this deficit played a role in my injury (calorie deficit).  As I was not increasing my mileage to drastically, never more than 10%. I was slowing down to easy pace, sort of…….

I sought out a sports nutritionist. Got set up on a “plan”.  Reluctantly, I am going to heed his advice and try it out for a few months.
Since counting macros(1 week), my belly has grown but my strength has increased.  Banged out 100 push-ups in a row, something I have never been able to do!

I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow to ensure it’s not a stress fracture.   Hopefully I can get back to it and run my marathon on May 11!

@durtychemist
@Commander_Keen
@stillgonnasendit

Thoughts on my injury and diet plan?

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes shin splints happen. I couldn't tell you when or why (never had them myself). Are you doing anything specific to treat them?
Exactly where on the knee is the pain? Does any of this make you adjust your stride when you run, or does it "just" hurt?

A stress fracture is pretty unlikely - a stress reaction (precursor to a stress fracture) is somewhat more likely. An MRI to rule this out is good, this wouldn't show I am x-ray.

Was the meal/snack plan you posted what the sports nutritionist recommended?
I'm just guessing, but 2,300 cal/day will likely have you in a deficit. Usually trying to lose weight during specific training for an event doesn't work well (not enough to fuel your fitness gains), but is something you could pursue in an off season.

All those calories are also really spread out - why not combine most or all those snack calories into larger meals? Just from a metabolic health perspective I wouldn't want to have a relatively high carbohydrate load spread out like that because your blood sugar will basically be elevated all day until you go to sleep.

When your body is used to getting a steady stream of easily available energy like that and then suddenly doesn't get any your blood sugar will likely tank overnight - probably around 2-3 in the morning. Keep an eye out for waking up around then, or other sleep issues (night sweats, etc.).

If you've only been on the plan for a week it's probably too early to blame a bit of what's likely bloating or water retention on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Commander_Keen:
Sometimes shin splints happen. I couldn't tell you when or why (never had them myself). Are you doing anything specific to treat them?
Exactly where on the knee is the pain? Does any of this make you adjust your stride when you run, or does it "just" hurt?

A stress fracture is pretty unlikely - a stress reaction (precursor to a stress fracture) is somewhat more likely. An MRI to rule this out is good, this wouldn't show I am x-ray.

Was the meal/snack plan you posted what the sports nutritionist recommended?
I'm just guessing, but 2,300 cal/day will likely have you in a deficit. Usually trying to lose weight during specific training for an event doesn't work well (not enough to fuel your fitness gains), but is something you could pursue in an off season.

All those calories are also really spread out - why not combine most or all those snack calories into larger meals? Just from a metabolic health perspective I wouldn't want to have a relatively high carbohydrate load spread out like that because your blood sugar will basically be elevated all day until you go to sleep.

When your body is used to getting a steady stream of easily available energy like that and then suddenly doesn't get any your blood sugar will likely tank overnight - probably around 2-3 in the morning. Keep an eye out for waking up around then, or other sleep issues (night sweats, etc.).

If you've only been on the plan for a week it's probably too early to blame a bit of what's likely bloating or water retention on it.
View Quote

I have been doing a lot of stretching. Toe raises. Using resistance bands. Massages. Compression.
To be honest I have only ran a few times since it first started hurting.  My wife is an Orthopedic NP.  I needed her advice, a little. Only ran A 3 miler and a 5 miler.   Didn’t really have any pain during the runs until after.

Due to the wife’s occupation, Mri is free and basically they’ll review it tomorrow and I won’t have to wait for a follow up appointment weeks later.

The plan I posted was the Sports Nutritionist plan.   I will say the intent is to go in every 2 weeks and he will adjust macros, likely increasing total intake. The app that is correlated to the plan has no input for workouts just the basic “sedentary/active/very active” categories. I believe that’s Where the 2310 comes from. I averaged my last 31 days I am closer to 2900.

Thank you for your response.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#31]
It’s probably an overuse injury.  You did too much too soon. You should back off on whatever you goal is and read the back half of the book.

I don’t typically worry about what I eat during training.  At this point in my life I know what is and isn’t good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#32]
MRI came back “Normal”. Where my pcl attaches looks a little suspicious. Possibly issues during my growth.  Only did MRI on that knee so I’m assuming both knees would show same issue.

Probably over use injury.  My longest ever run of 8 miles was in October of 2023 and I have already ran 3-4 half marathons (not races).

I’m slowing down on my runs.  “Knee” pain is still present, but I’m running this fu*+}^+ng marathon in May!

Going to add in a lot more leg workouts/stretches and put a little more focus on warmups and cooldowns
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#33]
@commander_keen
At one point my stride was altered due to the pain.  After taking a break, my stride has been back to normal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#34]
@commander_keen
At one point my stride was altered due to the pain.  After taking a break, my stride has been back to normal.
View Quote

It's good that it isn't altering your stride. That's the signal to cut down or cut out the running.

Where on your knee is the pain? Depending on this the issue might actually be originating elsewhere - likely the hip if so.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#35]

It's good that it isn't altering your stride. That's the signal to cut down or cut out the running.

Where on your knee is the pain? Depending on this the issue might actually be originating elsewhere - likely the hip if so.
View Quote

Might be in my head, due to the MRI discussion.  But, it seems to be right where the pcl attaches to my tibia and knee.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

@commander_keen I’m really trying to focus on my stride as well. Upping my cadence. Trying not to over stride. Landing mid foot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#37]

@commander_keen I’m really trying to focus on my stride as well. Upping my cadence. Trying not to over stride. Landing mid foot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not over striding (land with your for more-or-less under your center of gravity) is the biggest thing there. Landing with your foot ahead of you (regardless of which part of your foot lands first) is an issue due to the extra braking forces this puts on your legs.

I wouldn't worry about cadence - that's something that will almost certainly increase naturally as you get more running experience. When I first started my cadence was in the 160s, now it's usually 174.  Taller runners typically have lower cadences than shorter runners. I'm 6'1" and don't get at or above the frequently targeted "magical" 180 spm mark unless I'm running faster than 5k pace. I have a friend (about 5'2") who would go well over 200spm at the same intensity.

You still haven't said where the knee pain is. Is it to the outside of the knee, below it, underneath the kneecap (insidethe knee), or what?
I'd guess on the outside, since that's related to a very common injury.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#38]

Not over striding (land with your for more-or-less under your center of gravity) is the biggest thing there. Landing with your foot ahead of you (regardless of which part of your foot lands first) is an issue due to the extra braking forces this puts on your legs.

I wouldn't worry about cadence - that's something that will almost certainly increase naturally as you get more running experience. When I first started my cadence was in the 160s, now it's usually 174.  Taller runners typically have lower cadences than shorter runners. I'm 6'1" and don't get at or above the frequently targeted "magical" 180 spm mark unless I'm running faster than 5k pace. I have a friend (about 5'2") who would go well over 200spm at the same intensity.

You still haven't said where the knee pain is. Is it to the outside of the knee, below it, underneath the kneecap (insidethe knee), or what?
I'd guess on the outside, since that's related to a very common injury.
View Quote

I did up above. Not the outside of my knee.  During my orthopedic exam there were no issues that stood out to the surgeon.  Pretty slick having my wife work there as an NP, was seen ‘Monday, MRI Thursday, results 2 hours after MRI.

Pain is inside my knee /back of knee, and goes away after about half mile.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:12:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: durtychemist] [#39]
Does it come back st any point DURING the run?

Edit: runners knee?

https://www.verywellfit.com/knee-pain-when-running-4134724
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Does it come back st any point DURING the run?

Edit: runners knee?

https://www.verywellfit.com/knee-pain-when-running-4134724
View Quote

It doesn’t come back during the run.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#41]

It doesn’t come back during the run.
View Quote

Go back to running.  It’s runners knee.  A big reason I was saying to slow down and build your base mileage leading into 50+ mile weeks. Dieting won’t impact your knee.  Running and getting stronger leg muscles will impact your knee pain.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Go back to running.  It’s runners knee.  A big reason I was saying to slow down and build your base mileage leading into 50+ mile weeks. Dieting won’t impact your knee.  Running and getting stronger leg muscles will impact your knee pain.
View Quote

I’m getting back in to it.

I still got in around 10 miles per week last 2 weeks while I was taking it easy. I’m at week 7 right now. I am supposed to log 39 miles this week. I am going to hit about 34 miles this week.  I have been slowing pace down and feeing pretty good.

Should have listened to you to not run a marathon :)

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Absolutley, do NOT run every single day, but absolutely do cardio every single day.  

Swimming actually can be a great exercise, because you will become really darn efficient at breathing when you swim laps on the regular.   Efficient breathing during a run for me can be the difference between 10-15 heart beats per minute and that can be the difference between enjoying life and hating it on a run.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#44]

I’m getting back in to it.

I still got in around 10 miles per week last 2 weeks while I was taking it easy. I’m at week 7 right now. I am supposed to log 39 miles this week. I am going to hit about 34 miles this week.  I have been slowing pace down and feeing pretty good.

Should have listened to you to not run a marathon :)

View Quote

I get runner's knee probably once a year and then it will go away for months on end.  It can spring up for me when I'm really increasing my running schedule with faster speed.  When it flares up I find it necessary to take one to even two weeks off from running, but during that time I am doing other lower impact cardio that much harder to make up for the lack of running so I don't weaken my heart too much during that period.  

I just ordered an ice sleeve for my knee and I'm going to experiment with wearing that after my runs whether I feel I need it or not as a part of my recovery process.  

The hard thing for me is not to let it defeat me mentally, I get really pissed of when anything upsets my plans, but I keep reminding myself that there are more avenues of approach than just one to achieve an objective.  Adaptation and continued motivation is so damn key for me as I get older.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Absolutley, do NOT run every single day, but absolutely do cardio every single day.  

Swimming actually can be a great exercise, because you will become really darn efficient at breathing when you swim laps on the regular.   Efficient breathing during a run for me can be the difference between 10-15 heart beats per minute and that can be the difference between enjoying life and hating it on a run.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is there some particular reason to not run every day?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#46]

Is there some particular reason to not run every day?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/250323/SmartSelect_20240228_190047_Brave_jpg-3144398.JPG
View Quote

You know everyone is different in the way their built.  People have different bone density and they're at different ages as well.   If you can run 10 miles a day every single day, good for you bro, that's a great "flex," but it's not something normally sustained by people.

As a general rule though, I think that those who run high mileage on the regular are going to be more prone to a lot of different issues than those who vary up their cardio.  I've spoken to cross country guys who have run at the university level and the consensus is that coaches who push their athletes to log high mileage day after day tend to see more issues like stress fractures with their athletes.  

Remember, right now you could be 110% fine doing long distance runs every single day, but you're aging and as you age your bone density will decrease.  Perhaps it will decrease slowly, but it will decrease.  What you can do today is not what you'll be able to do tomorrow and eventually your body will confirm that fact.

For folks running though like less than three miles a day, probably zero concern.   I'm talking more about the folks doing like 10K or more per day.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]

You know everyone is different in the way their built.  People have different bone density and they're at different ages as well.   If you can run 10 miles a day every single day, good for you bro, that's a great "flex," but it's not something normally sustained by people.

As a general rule though, I think that those who run high mileage on the regular are going to be more prone to a lot of different issues than those who vary up their cardio.  I've spoken to cross country guys who have run at the university level and the consensus is that coaches who push their athletes to log high mileage day after day tend to see more issues like stress fractures with their athletes.  

Remember, right now you could be 110% fine doing long distance runs every single day, but you're aging and as you age your bone density will decrease.  Perhaps it will decrease slowly, but it will decrease.  What you can do today is not what you'll be able to do tomorrow and eventually your body will confirm that fact.

For folks running though like less than three miles a day, probably zero concern.   I'm talking more about the folks doing like 10K or more per day.
View Quote

Running is actually good for bone density. Those with stress reactions/stress fractures most likely aren't eating properly - specifically not enough protein, as that's a major component of bone strength.

10k day as high mileage and a risk for injury? You realize that makes your mileage difference from "no running" (and no risk of injury from it) to "some running" (again, zero concern) practically the same as the increase at which you think there's a big risk of running, don't you?

There are definitely differences in people who train for very specific gains or goals and those who just mix activities as part of a general fitness plan, but both groups can and do get injured. I know people who have been injured running as well as those injured because of cross training.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#48]
I slowed down for a week or 2.

Upped my protein intake big time. 175-200 g at least of protein a day.

Added in strength training (split squats, lunges, side lunges, calf raises)
Added in a lot more stretching before and after.
Started doing an ice bath (just my legs as it’s just a regular sized tub) on my weekend runs.

Knee has been a lot better so far.

Last week hit my training plan goal of 41 miles.

Seem to be back on track.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I slowed down for a week or 2.

Upped my protein intake big time. 175-200 g at least of protein a day.

Added in strength training (split squats, lunges, side lunges, calf raises)
Added in a lot more stretching before and after.
Started doing an ice bath (just my legs as it’s just a regular sized tub) on my weekend runs.

Knee has been a lot better so far.

Last week hit my training plan goal of 41 miles.

Seem to be back on track.
View Quote

Excellent all around. I know it seems like a ton of protein, but definitely stick with that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

A 10k per day is too much? Since when? That’s less than 50 minutes of running on an average day.

‘As a general rule I think….’ Is where you lost me.  College athletes are doing 120 mile weeks for months.  Not 45 mile weeks.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top