Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2012 5:45:13 AM EDT
Fallout New Vegas has hands down the best selection of weapons and equipment ever thought up for a video game which is no surprise because one of the creators of this game is a huge gun collector and is rumored to be an ARFCOMer.  No one but a firearms enthusiast would include such a variety of weapons, ammo and equipment in their videogame.

The game features firearms for WWII, Vietnam, The Old West and the Modern Era. In addition the game features such equipment as night vision goggles, SWAT body armor, body armor similar to Aliens Colonial Marines and even the pistol from Blade Runner.

WWII Era Weapons in the Game
The M1 Garand= The Battle Rifle and This Machine

The M1 Thompson Sub-machine gun= .45 Auto Submachine Gun

The 1911= .45 Auto pistol

The Browning High Power= 9mm pistol

The Browning BAR= The Automatic rifle

The M3 Sub-machine gun= The 9mm Sub-machine gun

Vietnam Era Weapons in the Game
The M16 A1= The Service Rifle

Colt CAR-15 / XM-177 Commando= The Assault Carbine

The M79= The Grenade rifle

The M60= The Light Machine gun

The Navy SEAL China Lake Grenade Launcher = The Grenade launcher

The Claymore Mine= Bottle-Cap Mines

The M40 sniper rifle= Fully Modified Hunting Rifle

Modern Era Weapons in the Game
The .50 PGM UR Hecate II AMR= The Anti-Material Rifle

M4 with ACOG= The Marksman Carbine (has 4x power scope)

Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle= The All-American (has 8x scope and is match accurate)

Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf= The Survivalists Rifle

M134 Minigun= The Minigun

Colt Commander 1911= A Light Shining in the Darkness

Remington 870= The Hunting shotgun and Dinner bell

Armsel Striker shotgun= Riot shotgun

Smith & Wesson Model 29= .44 Magnum Revolver

Smith & Wesson Model 28= Police pistol

454 Casull= Hunting Revolver

Milcam HB= Varmint rifle

Old West Era Weapons in the Game

Colt Single Action Army= .357 Magnum Revolver, 45.70 Ranger Sequoia

Winchester Model 1873 rifle= The Cowboy Repeater in 357, Trail Carbine in .44, The Brush Gun in 45.70

Winchester M1887 lever-action shotgun= The Lever Action Shotgun

Side by side 12 gauge= Sawed-Off shotgun

Weapons with a unique look that fill a similar role to modern weapons.
.50 Desert Eagle= 12.7mm pistol and Li’l Devil (cut down 12.7mm pistol)

10mm MP5= 10mm submachine gun

MP5-SD= sleepytyme

HK Mk 23 SOCOM= The 10mm pistol fully modified (silencer, laser, extended mags)

Each of these weapons has certain modification such as silencers, scopes including a night vision scope, custom actions, custom stocks and a shit ton of other cool mods.
Each of these firearms has a variety of different ammunition types, JHPs, JFPs, Match rounds, +P rounds, magnum rounds; shotguns have magnum rounds, bean bag rounds, dragon breath rounds, and others.

For instance the .50 has
.50 Armor piercing
.50 Incendiary rounds
.50 Match rounds
.50 Raufoss Mk 211 (exploding)

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty sure ARMA 2 has NV beat by a long mile
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I should play this...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The difference is that FNV has in addition to just firearms  shit ton of other weapons that can be used including hand held weapons like swords, knives, bats, police batons, etc. It also has many many many explosives, shit tons of future laser weapons, and a bunch of waky off the wall weapons.  All of these weapons can be seen in the first person of third person and unlike ARMA 2 FNV is a sandbox game which means unlike ARMA2 you can do what ever you want including fuck whores, drink, use, drugs and commit tons of crimes you can be the bad guy or the good guy you can do what you want when you want with those weapons can ARMA do any of that?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ARMA 2 is on the computer and most of those weapons are created mods.  If I where to include all the created weapon mods for FNV I would be here typing for the next two years.

All of the weapons I listed are weapons from the base game IE no player mods included.  If I were to include the player mods I would get arthritis from typing for the next two years straight.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ARMA 2 does not have even close to that many weapons in the base game I checked you are smoking crack.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
arma 2 has around 80 weapons and a shit ton of vehicles.  I'm not going to argue about this because I could care less, I was just stating that arma is probably the game I would pick if I wanted a variety of weapons.   No need to be so touchy about it man, its just a game.   fallout is fun, a buggy mess but fun
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
arma 2 has around 80 weapons and a shit ton of vehicles.  I'm not going to argue about this because I could care less, I was just stating that arma is probably the game I would pick if I wanted a variety of weapons.   No need to be so touchy about it man, its just a game.   fallout is fun, a buggy mess but fun
No doubt about buggy mess hoping the new fallout uses the skyrim engine.  I like FNV for the sandbox feel of the game but damn the bugs can make you want to tear your hair out at times.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No doubt about buggy mess hoping the new fallout uses the skyrim engine.  I like FNV for the sandbox feel of the game but damn the bugs can make you want to tear your hair out at times.

They royally screwed up skyrim on the ps3.   They make great games,  they just dont know how to get them to work all that well
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They royally screwed up skyrim on the ps3.   They make great games,  they just dont know how to get them to work all that well
The damn engines they use seem to be prone to creating problems. My favorite is every patch creates damn near as many bugs as the patch was suppose to fix. It would be LOL funny if I did not own the games.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

playing any bethesda game on a console is a waste of time. I learned that the hard way and went to PC and never looked back. The console just can not handle an open world game with so much going on. Fallout would freeze so bad it made it unplayable for me. Not to mention all the mod support for the games on PC makes the game have a LOT more replay value
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I don't know what the bug complaints are about.  F3 and Skyrim run great on PC.  Only issue of any type is that Skyrim's menu system sucks, but there are mods for changing that if so inclined.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#12]
No, Metal Gear Solid 4 has it beat
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
New Vegas was a lot of fun, no doubt.  I preferred the story and environment from regular F3 (being a whore for the Brotherhood of Steel) but the interface and gameplay of NV; if I could combine the two, I'd be pretty happy.  The NV team has a lot of the F1/2 team, and those games certainly had a large number of weapons with modifications so it is no surprise to see those elements carried into NV.

To the ARMA2 discussion, I'll add that NV also is fun to play where ARMA2 is a little too real and comes across as a boring slog.  Sure, lots of guns but the variation is minimal.  Not playing games to simulate real life.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, Metal Gear Solid 4 has it beat

MGS4 certainly did model the weapons in their game better.....and Kojima Productions didn't spend their time pushing patch after patch to nerf .308 weapons because it offended them that people ran around with the Sniper Rifle and a silencer plugging people from the edge of rendering distance instead of using the weapons they wanted you to use.

But then, in a Metal Gear game most people are probably only using the Moisin, the .22 Tranq pistol, and one or two of their favorite lethal guns for shooting drones.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#15]
In my book, a large "selection" would have more than 2 types of belt-fed machineguns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow.  This has reloading benches and ingredients?  And you can melt down scrap metal for lead?

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Play both.  I modded the shit out of FONV and ARMA2.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wow.  This has reloading benches and ingredients?  And you can melt down scrap metal for lead?

Yeah, it's not as awesome as it seems. I never could get much use out of them.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it's not as awesome as it seems. I never could get much use out of them.  

If you want to get the maximum benefit from the reloading benches, you need the Hand-loader perk. Between that and the ammo types you can find from adventuring, you can make guns considerably more powerful. You can also break down crap ammo and use it to reload stuff you use. I used a lot of .357 JFPs and .308 JSPs and AP.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARMA 2 is on the computer and most of those weapons are created mods.  If I where to include all the created weapon mods for FNV I would be here typing for the next two years.

All of the weapons I listed are weapons from the base game IE no player mods included.  If I were to include the player mods I would get arthritis from typing for the next two years straight.

wait...they made new vegas for consoles.....sucks for you man....

and jblitzen you've seriously never heard of any of the fallouts?
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Second Life. Hundreds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
One thing I couldn't figure out about Fallout that always kind of bugged me: They went underground in the '50s during an Atom Bomb war.

So....where did all the modern weaponry come from?  M16s and Desert Eagles?  

I'm not really complaining, I love the series.  (Although didn't get very far in Vegas.)  The game's even got Reloading benches!

But, that one little tid bit always bugged me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One thing I couldn't figure out about Fallout that always kind of bugged me: They went underground in the '50s during an Atom Bomb war.

So....where did all the modern weaponry come from?  M16s and Desert Eagles?  

I'm not really complaining, I love the series.  (Although didn't get very far in Vegas.)  The game's even got Reloading benches!

But, that one little tid bit always bugged me.

they didn't go under ground until the 2000s or 2100s, I'm too lazy to go confirm
their culture stopped in the 50s though, or at least our real world's tv version of the 50s.
there have been inconsistencies between games as to what real world guns at the time the games were made were around in the fictional time line

edit: I got curious and wanted to confirm, the nuclear war happened in 2077
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#24]
i tried playing F3 but found it boring compared to elder scrolls games this on the other hand sounds interesting
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The difference is that FNV has in addition to just firearms  shit ton of other weapons that can be used including hand held weapons like swords, knives, bats, police batons, etc. It also has many many many explosives, shit tons of future laser weapons, and a bunch of waky off the wall weapons.  All of these weapons can be seen in the first person of third person and unlike ARMA 2 FNV is a sandbox game which means unlike ARMA2 you can do what ever you want including fuck whores, drink, use, drugs and commit tons of crimes you can be the bad guy or the good guy you can do what you want when you want with those weapons can ARMA do any of that?

Someone is a Fallout fanboy. I liked New Vegas (and liked 3), but just about all of the actions in FO3/NV and ArmA are half assed. ArmA 2 can indeed be a sand box. It has a full mission editor where you can do just about anything you can imagine. Want to drive past a line of 250 M2s? You can. Want to place IEDs and make a script for the bad guys to retreat once they go off? You can. With mods you can do stuff like drink, apply bandages, inject medicine and whatnot.

Going off my head, here are the hand held firearms/explosive devices in stock ArmA 2 Arrowhead:

M16A2
M16A4
M4
M4A1
AK-74
AKS-74
AKS-74U
AKM
AK-47
AKMS
RPK
PKM
M249
M249 Para
M240
MK 16 SCAR
MK 17 SCAR
FN FAL para
Lee-Enfield
M9
M9SD
M1911A1
Makarov
GP-30
M203
M136
SMAW
RPG18
RPG7
FGM-148 Javelin
M67
RGD-5
Smoke grenades (various colors)
Saiga-12
XM8
9K115-2 Metis-M
PP-19
G-36E/C/K
MP5
MP5SD
FN40GL
Various anti tank mines
Satchel charges
M79
MK12 SPR
M24
M40
M-14 DMR
SA-58

There are more weapons in the game that belong to the PMC/BAF DLCs, though are available to all players but with low resolution textures, such as the AA-12 and SA80A2. When you account for mods, just about every weapon in existence is in the game.

And while NV does have a lot of weapons, they are about as basic as they get. Horrible animations, sounds, angle, proportion, textures, ect. For a game, the best weapons, IMO, are RO2. While the overall game isn't that good they did put a lot of effort into each weapon.

If we can count mods, STALKER had a huge selection of firearms. About 30 AKM and AK-74 skins, VZ-52s, RK 95s, Galils, the FN FNC (yea, the one in Heat) you name it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top