Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Photo a day picture thread! (Page 138 of 140)
Page / 140
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NWJohnny:

That's a really interesting picture, and the tree sounds monstrous. Oak trees are my favorite, but I don't know that very many of them get nearly that big around here.
View Quote

Oaks do weird things sometimes.  We have a naturally-occurring hybrid between live oak and overcup oak called Quercus x comptoniae, or Compton Oak.  Here's the most well known and probably largest example of it in Colonial Williamsburg.

ETA, and never, ever, not in a million years, will there ever be a sunny, pleasant mid-afternoon on Market Square off Duke of Gloucester Street in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg, during the height of Spring flowering and tourist visitation, that a moment in time where the entire Compton Oak can be captured in a single frame with NO people other than a single young child in the frame.  It was truly a moment.

Compton Oak by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

One more I kind of liked. This was a nice foggy morning on my way to work after we snapped a really cold streak. Something like 3 or 4 straight days of below zero *F. The fog was welcomed because it meant we were just above freezing finally.

The wife, kids, and I are heading somewhere much warmer and more scenic this week- hoping for some nice photo opportunities while we're there!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Same stand, before and after thinning.  GROSSLY overstocked before, just exactly perfect after.

BA 340 Canopy by FredMan, on Flickr

Post Thin Crown Closure by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
25 year old pine, thinned once 8 years ago.  Laying it out for the second thin.  Going to take out about 40% of existing trees.

This stand has DOUBLED in volume in the past 8 years.  And TRIPLED in value.  This, my friends, is why we do this.  Grow trees bigger faster.  And the place is crawling with deer and turkey sign.

Ko Stand 1 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Where the fuck did you get those!?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@SecretSquirell From here. I have one. They also have a fully customizable option.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Had a wonderful afternoon on the water today, saw a manatee and a bunch of dolphins. Some awesome boats too. Kids had a great time!

Much better weather in the South than back home.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By airman100:

@SecretSquirell From here. I have one. They also have a fully customizable option.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By airman100:

Holy shitballs those are awesome. Are they just a standalone switch that you can make do anything or are they part of some bigger design that I'm not seeing? I like the light switch ones. My wife would kill me if I put those all over the house.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Concord Aerospace. Very cool stuff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Holy shitballs those are awesome. Are they just a standalone switch that you can make do anything or are they part of some bigger design that I'm not seeing? I like the light switch ones. My wife would kill me if I put those all over the house.
View Quote

They started out as replica Apollo CSM panel switches.

You can do anything you want, of course, and they’re all supposedly rated for 120volt circuits.

I really want to get a bunch of the light switches.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

You can do anything you want, of course, and they’re all supposedly rated for 120volt circuits.

View All Quotes

The desire to build an Apollo cockpit intensifies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Probably be cheaper to steal the plans and build one from scratch!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of small sunspots today  There's a bunch that SolarHam has plotted, but too faint for my gear.

Sun Spots 2024-02-04 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
20240204_013 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Question.

The moire on the dress. Can that be mitigated with lighting?  Do you WANT to mitigate it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots of small sunspots today  There's a bunch that SolarHam has plotted, but too faint for my gear.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53509911160_99115c81a2_h.jpgSun Spots 2024-02-04 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
that is beautiful
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn’t take it, but this is me in 1988 at Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford Maine, running down some cabling issues on my taping gear getting ready for Little Feat to come on stage, opening for the Dead.

1988-07-02 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Question.

The moire on the dress. Can that be mitigated with lighting?  Do you WANT to mitigate it?
View All Quotes

Question.

Not sure about with lighting, but I could remove it in post in 5 seconds.  Just don't really want to, and the pattern distracts from the outline of large pasties she was wearing under the dress.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple weeks ago during the cold spell up in NC.  Just a GoPro sitting on my ice screw bag, since I left the mounting screws back in the truck.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Another fucking awesome pine stand.  Unthinned 23 years old trees.  430 trees per acre.  Basal Area 240 sq ft. per acre.  Total volume... 183 tons/acre.

That's YUGE!!!

Stand 2 Stems by FredMan, on Flickr

Stand 2 Crown by FredMan, on Flickr

And, on the same property, here's a stand we thinned 10 years ago.  30 year old trees.  125 trees per acre.  Basal area 126 sq. ft per acre.  Total volume... 107 tons/acre.

Stand 1 Stems by FredMan, on Flickr

Stand 1 Crown by FredMan, on Flickr

Lots less volume, but due to the higher value of bigger trees, (sawlogs instead of pulpwood) the older stand is worth, on a per-acre basis, about 10% more than the younger trees.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Found an awesome park last week near Naples Florida. Freedom Park. Was a nice place to walk with the kids.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#26]
CCW SMZ Vee by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Straight out of the GoPro Hero9

I’m continually surprised at what these can do with stills.

Behind The Wheel by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Tigercat Skidder by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Walking back home from dinner the other night, as the current cloud cover was moving in...

Our moon, and four of Jupiter's moons...

[two exposures, doubt I can get much earthshine through the cloud cover with a third, though.  earlier in the evening, I was able to get a fair bit of earthshine, though]

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Oh, how I hated climbing those things.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Got out to the river today and played around with the family for a bit. Couldn't resist getting a picture of these old cars, I believe they're early 50s sedans. Somewhere along the way they dumped here to stabilize the bank.

Attachment Attached File

Ready for Spring to finally get here!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I totally forgot this section existed. Ditched the D500/f mount stuff and broke into mirrorless. Here’s a few shots off the z6ii the last week or two.

Untitled by Chris Weathers, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:11:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#37]
White Oak Crowns by FredMan, on Flickr

This one is got converted to B&W; cloudy overcast day.  Overstory pure white oak; understory has maples coming in.  I'm reminded of Rush's The Trees.  Which, by the way, aside from it's anthem status amongst foresters, actually is (more or less) sliviculturally correct.

The lyrics relate a short story about a conflict between maple and oak trees in a forest. The maple trees want more sunlight, but the oak trees are too tall. In the end, "the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."[5]

Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart was asked in the April/May 1980 issue of the magazine Modern Drummer if there was a message in the lyrics, to which he replied, "No. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, 'What if trees acted like people?' So I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement."[6][7] However, in his 2007 book Roadshow: Landscape With Drums. A Concert Tour by Motorcycle, Peart clarified that the song was "a parable about collectivism".

In November 2023 Geddy Lee pondered that the song was "a comment on forced equality", and that "may have also been a little naive in [his] original intent. [...] There were a few things we sang about in our early twenties that seemed very important. But as time has gone on, you ameliorate those views because life has told you it’s not so simple. [...] You learn a lot about how much of life has lived in the gray areas as opposed to the black and white areas".
View Quote

I believe that, regardless of what Geddy and Neil say, it's a fairly straightforward allegory of the Canadians trying to shake off the Crown.  I mean, how could it be otherwise?  Maple/Canada, Oak/England?  Who do they think they're fooling?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Think she is getting tired of my shit

20240221_014 by Carl Peters, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Had another good morning on the campaign trail.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#43]
5-6-41 Deck by FredMan, on Flickr

Chaney Creek SMZ Selfie by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Picked up a new cue today, pool is one of my other hobbies.

Picked up a beautiful J Pechauer cue, it looks amazing and hits like a dream.

I'm still terrible, but at least I have a nice stick!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked up a new cue today, pool is one of my other hobbies.

Picked up a beautiful J Pechauer cue, it looks amazing and hits like a dream.

I'm still terrible, but at least I have a nice stick!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/537169/DSC_0893_jpg-3145341.JPG
View Quote

Use that as a base subject to play around with DoF and bokeh!!

Aim for the entire signature to be in focus, and not much else.  The longer the lens (within limits!) the better.  Macros are particularly suited for this work.  And you gonna need a tripod.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]
In my work, I deal with timelines that are decades or in length.  The decisions I make today will have implications long beyond my tenure in the working world.  Future foresters will be dealing with the those decisions just as I, regularly, deal with the implications of decisions made while I was still in diapers.  As an example, a few years back I handled a timber sale of a 1973 pine plantation.  Think about that.  What the technology was back then (i.e silvics, genetics, soils sciences, available markets, etc.), and what's available to us today.  

I also have the ability to directly observe how the forest changes over time, and how my decisions affect that change.  Back in college, I vividly remember a professor mentioning that a huge red letter day in the life of any forester is when they harvest a stand that they established, completing  a full rotation cycle.  For me, that day came 12 years ago, and it was a big day.

Now, the reason I bring this all up is I was out getting stuck in the woods the other day (pro tip; if you work in the woods make sure you have ALL your vehicle recovery gear IN THE VEHICLE) and I ran across a vernal pool that we protected during a timber sale 6 years ago.  Vernal pools are exceptionally valuable from an ecosystem standpoint, they provide critical habitat for aquatic and amphibious creatures that would otherwise not be able to survive in that location.  And it's not just any critical habitat, it's critical habitat at just the time they need it.  It makes me wonder about the evolutionary process and the cause-effect relationship.

So, here's a particular vernal pool in Dinwiddie County VA 7 years ago, before harvest, and that same pool a few days ago.  We also see just what makes vernal pools vernal, that being that sometimes they got water, sometimes they don't.  This one is pretty low right now, but in a month or so it'll be at full pool.

2017:
BI1081 Vernal Pool by FredMan, on Flickr

2024:
NCP1081 Vernal Pool by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Use that as a base subject to play around with DoF and bokeh!!

Aim for the entire signature to be in focus, and not much else.  The longer the lens (within limits!) the better.  Macros are particularly suited for this work.  And you gonna need a tripod.

View Quote

Thank you for the advice, I see what you mean with the signature being a little fuzzy. I will play around with it some more this weekend!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Thank you for the advice, I see what you mean with the signature being a little fuzzy. I will play around with it some more this weekend!
View Quote

I don’t know what your skill level is (and ignore this if it doesn’t apply) but I found, way back when I was really getting into photography, that doing things like this REALLY helped me gain almost instinctual knowledge of how to achieve a particular framing.

We had in this forum, a number of years ago, weekly “challenges”. Wasn’t a contest, it was someone throwing out a particular subject, and challenging everyone to see what they could come up with. Some examples were

Backlit subject
Something red
Black & white
Something on fire
Etc…

The feedback from others was probably the most important part. People pointing out what they did or didn’t like about your shot.

Do that weekly, for a few months, and you’re going to learn all kinds of techniques, and you’re going to get to know everything about your gear (which might lead to you getting BCD, or Black Camera Disease)

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#50]
20240226_012 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Page / 140
Photo a day picture thread! (Page 138 of 140)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top