Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2013 7:36:44 AM EDT
I'm looking for a GPS for my SV650 and I'm not willing to pay $400-$800 for a motorcycle specific unit.  Are there any handheld units with street maps?  Not really interested in off-road maps, although I may buy an ADV bike in the next year or two.  Really, what I'd like is a scrolling map that is visible in direct sunlight, kind of like google maps on my cell phone, but the phone display is completely invisible in sunlight.  Waterproof would be nice, but not a necessity.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Not what you want.to hear but I use my Nexus 4 with brightness set.to max which makes it visible in bright sunlight.  I also use my Bluetooth intercom so I don't even look at the display unless I'm inputting an address
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
stop signs and cross roads
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not what you want.to hear but I use my Nexus 4 with brightness set.to max which makes it visible in bright sunlight.  I also use my Bluetooth intercom so I don't even look at the display unless I'm inputting an address
View Quote

My HTC Inspire is not bright enough

I like the scrolling map of google maps.  I don't necessarily plan my routes out in detail beforehand, so I don't really care about turn-by-turn.  I like exploring, but I don't like getting lost

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I print out a map from google and tape it to the tank

I have used google on my cell phone for navigation through the headphones, but thats not what you want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Garmin 765T. Its an older car model and not made any more. Its not too hard to see normally. I carry plastic bags in my tank bag for rain.
The ones with headphone output are getting really hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a Garmin Etrex HCx in a Touratech/Ram Mount. It's kind of small, but works good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Garmin nuvi 550... Handles topo maps via ad card...waterproof...and can be had for cheap from eBay...
eBay
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the Garmin Zumo 550.  It's a discontinued model but still available used.  The Zumo line is motorcycle specific, waterproof and built much stronger than automotive units so don't be afraid to buy a used one, mine's six years old.  The touch screen is fully functional with gloves and is bright enough to be seen in sunlight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Zumo 660 with Sena Smh5. Can't imagine knife without one now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use the Garmin Zumo 550.  It's a discontinued model but still available used.  The Zumo line is motorcycle specific, waterproof and built much stronger than automotive units so don't be afraid to buy a used one, mine's six years old.  The touch screen is fully functional with gloves and is bright enough to be seen in sunlight.
View Quote

This. Zumos are the best on two wheels for a number of reasons.  

Downside is $$$$
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Garmin nuvi 550... Handles topo maps via ad card...waterproof...and can be had for cheap from eBay...
eBay
View Quote

Looks like a versatile unit for pretty cheap.  Will it do a scrolling road map, or just the turn-by-turn navigation type view?  Is it visible in direct sunlight?

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not what you want.to hear but I use my Nexus 4
View Quote

I have two reasons for -not- doing this:

- A large portion of my riding is done in areas that I cannot get a data connection which makes the phone less useful than a 'real' GPS.
- I always keep the phone on my body, not on the bike, just in case shit ever goes wrong.  Would suck to be laying in the bottom of a ditch and not be able to call for help because the phone is still attached to the handlebars of the bike.  Or worse, no longer attached to the handlebars because the phone came loose somewhere along they way.

Personally, I pretty much just leave the GPS unit in a saddlebag because the only times I need are if I'm lost or I need to find the closest gas station.  That means I don't need to care so much about some features like weatherproofing or being able to read the display in direct sunlight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks like a versatile unit for pretty cheap.  Will it do a scrolling road map, or just the turn-by-turn navigation type view?  Is it visible in direct sunlight?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
eBay

Yes scrolling is how it operates even has a 3d type view...the zumo is a more expensive version of this marketed to adv guys...same thing IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I use 2 different ones, mood and travel dependent.

Garmin 62s

or a TomTom Start 50
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
i do lots of long trips on tiny roads, or no roads at all. I use a 450. Wife has a 220 .
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i do lots of long trips on tiny roads, or no roads at all. I use a 450. Wife has a 220 .
View Quote

Is that the Oregon 450?  I see Cabelas has them on sale right now for $250.  Is it visible in direct sunlight?
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is that the Oregon 450?  I see Cabelas has them on sale right now for $250.  Is it visible in direct sunlight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, sorry. Both are Zumo.

Depending on model, amazon has them starting at $210
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up a Garmin 62 to use on my Kayak. I got a free map off the net and I was amazed

at how well I can see it in direct sunlight. It is water "proof" and can be used for hiking, boating,

driving etc.
I am very happy with it and the mounts that RAM make work real well with it.

Here it is on my Son's dirty truck with a suction cup mount. See how good you can see

the screen without any back light. It is gloomy here and it is even better on a sunny day.

The other pic is a mount that went into the triple tree tube on the GSXR1000 that I used

to own. That map is more of a topo map than a road map, But is was free.

Link Posted: 8/4/2013 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Garmin Montan 650.  The best out there ATM, IMHO.  Sold my 60csx and bought it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

- A large portion of my riding is done in areas that I cannot get a data connection which makes the phone less useful than a 'real' GPS.
- I always keep the phone on my body, not on the bike, just in case shit ever goes wrong.  Would suck to be laying in the bottom of a ditch and not be able to call for help because the phone is still attached to the handlebars of the bike.  Or worse, no longer attached to the handlebars because the phone came loose somewhere along they way.

Personally, I pretty much just leave the GPS unit in a saddlebag because the only times I need are if I'm lost or I need to find the closest gas station.  That means I don't need to care so much about some features like weatherproofing or being able to read the display in direct sunlight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not what you want.to hear but I use my Nexus 4

you dont need a data connection for navigation. you can download the maps for your trip and save them to the phone. all smartphones now have a "real" GPS chip in them and are just as accurate as a handheld unit. i use my phone to geocache, its that accurate. as for "laying in the ditch", if you cant crawl out of the ditch or cry for help its not going to matter where your phone is because you wont be able to use it in the first place. i have never had someone call 911 after a motorcycle crash that wasnt able to walk or craw or unable to yell for help. usually a passerby is calling 911, not the person that was on the bike.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes scrolling is how it operates even has a 3d type view...the zumo is a more expensive version of this marketed to adv guys...same thing IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
eBay

Another Nuvi 550 user here; I've got a 60CSx that I use occasionally too.  The Ram holder is more secure than the Garmin factory model.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
you dont need a data connection for navigation. you can download the maps for your trip and save them to the phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
you dont need a data connection for navigation. you can download the maps for your trip and save them to the phone.
Exactly.  You have to install a navigation app that allows for caching the maps and you have to remember to download the maps before you get there.  It's not that the phone doesn't work, it's that it's far less convenient.

as for "laying in the ditch", if you cant crawl out of the ditch or cry for help its not going to matter where your phone is because you wont be able to use it in the first place. i have never had someone call 911 after a motorcycle crash that wasnt able to walk or craw or unable to yell for help. usually a passerby is calling 911, not the person that was on the bike.

Yell for help?  You work for a city FD, don't you.  

YMMV but I'd rather not lie there bleeding for several hours waiting for a passerby to notice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Another Montana 650t user. You'll need the city navigator with it for road nav. Works with gloves, big screen and bright. Can run on both it's battery pack and AA batteries. Has a mini USB input which easily runs of 12V power plug with adapter. Nice feature to be able to use the camera and make it a waypoint quickly as it tags the pic with the GPS location.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#24]
You're on a motorcycle, you would be silly NOT to get a motorcycle specific GPS.

Don't cheeze out on the mout either.
Ram mounts are ok (they suck), the Touratech mounts are the oly way to go.

Of course you could always go the cheap route...

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You're on a motorcycle, you would be silly NOT to get a motorcycle specific GPS.

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/canada_gps.jpg

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/ktm530light_002.jpg

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/ktm530light_001.jpg

Don't cheeze out on the mout either.

Ram mounts are ok (they suck), the Touratech mounts are the oly way to go.

Of course you could always go the cheap route...

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/gps_and_mount.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

<snip>

View Quote

I'm sure they're great....but I'd feel more silly spending $600+ on something I'd only use a few times a year.  If I'd use it more, I'd consider one.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm sure they're great....but I'd feel more silly spending $600+ on something I'd only use a few times a year.  If I'd use it more, I'd consider one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

It also works well in a car.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#28]
i pick a direction and go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

ya I took a look at some of the moto Garmin models and then looked at the price tag and immediately said f that. A marine unit ya I can see spending a couple hundy on a GPS, but for a bike.... I ende dup just slummin in and Im pretty happy I did. Small mount on the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebar, small power cable threaded under the trim from the battery outlet up to the unit and your in business. I can technically run the vioce prompts to my ears like you do as well but mostly just don't bother.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#30]
iPhone 4

need to get a bluetooth thing for my helmet though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top