Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2016 9:05:41 PM EDT
I am in the market for a vehicle since I was rear ended on Saturday.

Local shop has a Dodge Nitro 4wd.

Anything good/bad I should look out for? Reviews online seem to be pretty positive but wanted to get the hive's opinion.

Thanks

ETA Changed title to reflect truck instead of Nitro
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Anything good/bad I should look out for? Reviews online seem to be pretty positive but wanted to get the hive's opinion.

Thanks
View Quote

Skip, it is a mediocre vehicle.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Nitro/
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Granted they didn't make a bunch of them but the complaints seem fairly low given the age.

One I'm looking at is a 2010.

Mainly looking for something not expensive nor with a billion miles. Used as daily driver and with 4x4 or AWD for towing 4wheeler and hunting/gun range fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Op, I'm going to give you my opinion which you won't like but please understand I have been in the car "business" pertaining to sales, maintenance, design, performance, etc for the last 20 years.  

Dodge Nitro or any other little 4x4 like it.......... no No NO NO NO NO NO

Towing with these jacked up "cars?"  Do you want transmission problems? because that how you get transmission problems.  You  dont tow stuff with a "car" and especially anything that doesn't have a full frame like a full size truck (Silverado) and/or the smaller trucks  (Tacoma).   All of these XUVs are unibody which means CHEAPLY designed.

get a full size GM truck, maybe a F150, or go smaller like a Tacoma or the new Colorado.

Key here is what is your budget.  Post that and I'll get you more info.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Op, I'm going to give you my opinion which you won't like but please understand I have been in the car "business" pertaining to sales, maintenance, design, performance, etc for the last 20 years.  

Dodge Nitro or any other little 4x4 like it.......... no No NO NO NO NO NO

Towing with these jacked up "cars?"  Do you want transmission problems? because that how you get transmission problems.  You  dont tow stuff with a "car" and especially anything that doesn't have a full frame like a full size truck (Silverado) and/or the smaller trucks  (Tacoma).   All of these XUVs are unibody which means CHEAPLY designed.

get a full size GM truck, maybe a F150, or go smaller like a Tacoma or the new Colorado.

Key here is what is your budget.  Post that and I'll get you more info.
View Quote

Thought I read it was built on a truck frame but I am probably wrong.

$15000 is max and want to keep under $10000 if possible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
It's one of those  "throw it against the wall, see if it sticks" type vehicles.

It has no lineage and it could end up being expensive to buy parts for and repair innthe not too distant future.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's one of those  "throw it against the wall, see if it sticks" type vehicles.

It has no lineage and it could end up being expensive to buy parts for and repair innthe not too distant future.
View Quote

TRUF!

OP, alright, 10-15, 04-06 Silverado, Avalanche, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon with around 80-150k miles that has an immaculate interior.  Why an immaculate interior?  because it gives extremely strong indication that the vehicle was maintained.  These trucks are EASY as fuck to fix, cheap too.  They are tougher built than the 07+ and they do 200k+ miles all damn day if you do your maintainance, remember what I said above?

under $10, same as above only you're going to have to go a little older like 01-03 and it will have 130-160k.

You're probably all like "I dont want a truck that old".  Well unless you wanna spend north of $20,000 for a quality vehicle (no throw away cars like the Nitro or KIA's), the economy, inflation and cash for clunkers royally fucked the used car market for years to come.  

So other than those trucks I mentioned above, Toyota Tacoma would be another one to check out but be ready as they ain't cheap unless you want 2WD.  Go find some in your area off craigslist and post up here and I'll take a look and give you a go no go.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, going to skip the nitro and look at an extended cab truck or 4 door, for the kiddos
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Did find a 2007 Silverado Classic for $14000 with 142K miles, looks in decent shape. Buddies brother works at a dealership so I'm trying to give him first dibs provided vehicle is good.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did find a 2007 Silverado Classic for $14000 with 142K miles, looks in decent shape. Buddies brother works at a dealership so I'm trying to give him first dibs provided vehicle is good.
View Quote

If that's 4wd and at least an LS (LT would be preferred) and isn't badly rusted in the rocker area under the doors (some minor rust is ok but no holes) and the best fender lip wheel opening areas aren't rusted, its a good deal.  Just make sure its a 5.3 and not a 4.8.  if 8th letter in the VIN is a V pass as it's a 4.8.

Post more details when you get them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If that's 4wd and at least an LS (LT would be preferred) and isn't badly rusted in the rocker area under the doors (some minor rust is ok but no holes) and the best fender lip wheel opening areas aren't rusted, its a good deal.  Just make sure its a 5.3 and not a 4.8.  if 8th letter in the VIN is a V pass as it's a 4.8.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listed as LS and V is the 8th character and showing 4.8 in the desc. 4.8 terrible engine I assume?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought my '07 classic new in '06. 4x4 extended cab WT with 5.3V8. It now has 175K and besides the brakes I have done nothing to it but change fluids and filters. I put new pads on the front at 170K

Great truck and in gets 18-19 on the highway

ETA: 4.8 is kinda under powered but not terrible. Had a couple with the 4.8 and they drive ok, mileage is not better
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

For half ton silverado and Sierra look 09 and newer. 07 08 still had the 4l60e 4spd auto which is not a great trans.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Listed as LS and V is the 8th character and showing 4.8 in the desc. 4.8 terrible engine I assume?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.8 is a great engine but 5.3 is just as common, gets the same mileage and has a shade more torque on tap.

A 4.8 is a destroked 5.3
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

4.8 is a great engine but 5.3 is just as common, gets the same mileage and has a shade more torque on tap.

A 4.8 is a destroked 5.3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 4.8 is a destroked 5.3

This. The 4.8 is a great little motor but being smaller displacement than the 5.3, there's not as much torque on tap. If you really want to tow, look for one with the 5.3.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. The 4.8 is a great little motor but being smaller displacement than the 5.3, there's not as much torque on tap. If you really want to tow, look for one with the 5.3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 4.8 is a destroked 5.3

Towing isn't a huge concern, my FIL has a chevy 3500 that could tow the Titanic
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pass.   If I remember correctly "Classic"  indicates the previous generation truck.   Rust issues galore if you live in the salt belt.   The 4L60e transmission is complete garbage too.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pass.   If I remember correctly "Classic"  indicates the previous generation truck.   Rust issues galore if you live in the salt belt.   The 4L60e transmission is complete garbage too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 99-07 Classic is a more stout truck than the 07-13s.  The biggest plus is affordability.  Nobody wants to spend $20,000 for a 2008 Silverado with a 140k miles.  That's rediculous all because they have a million gee gaw electronics and creature comforts instead of just being a damn truck like the 99-06 and 88-98.

OP, to answer your question 4.8 isn't bad, but for the same money get a 5.3 truck.  Stick to 03-06 with under 150k.  All this talk about the 4L60E dieing on you is total BS.  Yes they do fail but its primarily in trucks that haven't been maintained and/or have been abused or just have a shit ton of miles on them.  Same things fail on all trucks in this condition.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If a 2010 Nitro catches your attention look at a brand new Patriot, if you can live without a lot of creature comforts you can get one dirt cheap.

I bought one for about $12K brand new last month, it doesn't have AC and does have a manual transmission, but if I had wanted to add a couple grand I could have had auto and AC, I think I saw one for about 14K that had the power package, AC, and manual. They come standard with Satellite radio and U-Connect blue tooth, as well as a bunch of other stuff. I find it funny, my car doesn't have AC, but it has USB ports.
View Quote

Wow!  I didn't know they even made vehicles without AC in 2016.  But hell ya for that price!
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the replys, sorry I was sporadic yesterday, installing wood laminate flooring in house :(

Still looking around the webs today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like the wife may have stolen my choice for car and wants it for her self

So she's looking at 2013 Equinox awd with I4 engine. I know it's small engine but my idea of towing may be shot .

So the Equinox, if we get it, will be driving her to and from work and me to range and maybe slight off road.

Decent?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Not at all an off-road vehicle. We had one and I liked it. The wife drove it as her car and she didn't like it that well. Found it underpowered. They need to turbo that 4 cylinder and it would be better.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Stay away from 07 and later GM's with active fuel management/cylinder deactivation.  The engine will fail or consume oil (as I found out $6000 later).  I'd say go Toyota
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So she's looking at 2013 Equinox awd with I4 engine. I know it's small engine but my idea of towing may be shot .

So the Equinox, if we get it, will be driving her to and from work and me to range and maybe slight off road.

Decent?
View Quote

OP. I am a GM diehard and even I wouldn't buy that. It's the same "throw away" type car as the nitro.

If you don't get a American full size truck, or Toyota truck and you must get a smaller type front wheel drive  "XUV" go Toyota or Honda.  Nothing else. You are going to pay for it but unless you get rid of cars every 3-5 years, you'll thank me for going that route instead.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP. I am a GM diehard and even I wouldn't buy that. It's the same "throw away" type car as the nitro.

If you don't get a American full size truck, or Toyota truck and you must get a smaller type front wheel drive  "XUV" go Toyota or Honda.  Nothing else. You are going to pay for it but unless you get rid of cars every 3-5 years, you'll thank me for going that route instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decent?

Like a 2013 tacoma?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Decent?
View Quote

Oil consumption issues again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife choose a 2013 traverse awd.

Flame on

ETA thanks for all help guys.
I will get a truck in next couple years and will actually be what I want lol

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top